Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Don't count your chickens yet
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
As obvious as it may seem, it's not a slam dunk that the Eagles have a new HC in 2013. Regardless of the solid arguments one could make to Lurie on why he should replace Reid, the team has shown that they will make their own decisions despite whatever the fans and/or press may think they should do.

Lurie has a very close relationship with Andy, a compassionate man who lost his son and all world LT before the season started then lost his starting center and RT. We don't know who is responsible for signing Namdi or drafting Watkins both of whom have underperformed their hype.

We do know that Howie has been given an extension, presumably because of what is believed to have been a stellar 2012 draft. Logic tells us that Reid has failed to replenish his coaching staff successfully, that he has had a difficult time with time management and that his team seems to have been playing without passion lately. Most importantly, they're not winning games.

How does Jeffrey see it? Is he concerned what the fans will say or how they will react if Reid is retained for another year? I don't think it's impossible for that to happen.
Dreagon
Billionaires are funny creatures. Sometimes it seems like they enjoy doing something that enrages an entire fanbase of a team just to remind everybody that they are the final authority.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 15 2012, 06:22 AM) *
How does Jeffrey see it? Is he concerned what the fans will say or how they will react if Reid is retained for another year? I don't think it's impossible for that to happen.

He said last year that 8-8 was unacceptable. Now the Walrus has to go 6-1 in order to pull out a BS 9-7 season, whether or not we squeak into the playoffs and bow out in the first round. I don't think anyone here believes that's happening.

Lurie knows he'll lose all credibility if he doesn't stick to his word. I'd expect a mutiny based on the way things are going - sure, butts will always fill the seats, but I think a lot of money will be lost overall and he knows it. Also, it's pretty well known the PR problems the Eagles have with their fanbase.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 15 2012, 02:24 PM) *
He said last year that 8-8 was unacceptable.

While I believe Andy's days our numbered, you have to wonder if Lurie is looking at this mess and realizing our expectations were much higher than they should have been.

Why should we be better than 8-8? What about the talent on this team indicates to you that we're a good team? We don't have a QB, our offensive line is decimated at a historic level, and we have a shitty secondary.

Assuming Lurie believes Andy is responsible for those things, than obviously he goes. But what if Lurie believes the roster issues aren't Andy's doing? He could at least justify in his own head that it's not Andy's fault.

I don't think it will happen, but it's at least something to consider.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 15 2012, 04:44 PM) *
While I believe Andy's days our numbered, you have to wonder if Lurie is looking at this mess and realizing our expectations were much higher than they should have been.

Why should we be better than 8-8? What about the talent on this team indicates to you that we're a good team? We don't have a QB, our offensive line is decimated at a historic level, and we have a shitty secondary.

Assuming Lurie believes Andy is responsible for those things, than obviously he goes. But what if Lurie believes the roster issues aren't Andy's doing? He could at least justify in his own head that it's not Andy's fault.

I don't think it will happen, but it's at least something to consider.

Lurie opened up the check book to have a good team. The fact thjat this team sucks ass means there will be repercussions. Lurie is confident with Roseman (who knows why?) and appears to be at his end with big Red.
TGryn
Then again, there's the old advice that those who listen to the fans will soon find themselves sitting amongst them...
Phits
QUOTE (TGryn @ Nov 15 2012, 09:01 PM) *
Then again, there's the old advice that those who listen to the fans will soon find themselves sitting amongst them...

Does that count for owners too?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 15 2012, 09:00 PM) *
Lurie opened up the check book to have a good team. The fact thjat this team sucks ass means there will be repercussions. Lurie is confident with Roseman (who knows why?) and appears to be at his end with big Red.

Just so we are clear, I'm not saying Lurie will keep Reid. Not do I believe he necessarily deserves to be kept. I'm just saying that Lurie could reasonably consider some variables that weren't in play before his ultimatum.
D Rock
If you recall, Lurie offered the "injury" caveat during the infamous "8 and 8 aint good enough" speech. Losing 4 of 5 starting O lineman might just move him to give Andy a pass. -sigh-
TGryn
IF - big if - they go 5-2 and the offense is clicking with Foles, 8-8 might be enough to save Reid's job for another year in light of all the OLine injuries and firing Castillo in the middle of the season (and the unnamed, that Andy's head can't be 100% right after his son died in camp). Andy does have a history of being especially good at winning in December. It'd also demonstrate that he hasn't "lost the team."

Keep in mind that Reid's contract only runs through 2013. Without a playoff win this year, no way can I see Lurie extending him. At the same time, I don't think Lurie wants to fire him if he can help it, and that's a big consideration too.

As a fan, a continued collapse would be easier to understand. If they rally again at the end of the year - a repeat of 2011 - there'd still be some serious questions about the psyche of the team that I really have no idea what the answers and solutions might be, good or bad.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (TGryn @ Nov 16 2012, 04:09 PM) *
Andy does have a history of being especially good at winning in December

He has a history of beating mediocre-to-shitty teams, while getting owned by good teams. If the part of the schedule we just went through was in December, he'd be toast. Unfortunately, the walrus might be saved by beating a bunch of shitty teams - though the way we're playing right now, I'm not sure we can even do that.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 16 2012, 04:27 PM) *
If you recall, Lurie offered the "injury" caveat during the infamous "8 and 8 aint good enough" speech. Losing 4 of 5 starting O lineman might just move him to give Andy a pass. -sigh-

yep

im factoring in the idea that NOBODY expected this kind of year for the birds following a 8-8 year...especially Lurie who write big checks to FAs/draft picks.

what if he made his 'significant improvement from 8-8' statement based largely on the idea that

1) we were loaded with 'talent'

2) this 8-8 thing was a fluke for everyone. knowing that it CAN happen will make sure everyone gives 100% and makes sure it wont happen again

3) you almost have to try to lose to go anything less than 9-10 wins and a chance at the playoffs in this division

my point is the Lurie likely made his statement supremely confident that 8-8 was a distant possibility with the wake up call of coming off an 8-8 year. perhaps he never had any intention of following thru on what he said and only said it because he thought he would never have to

FOs go back on what they say citing all manner of 'circumstances'
Bocadelphia Eagles John
I went into the backyard to see how many chickens there were so that I could pick one to decide whether or not to count it.

But all I could find was .. an egg.

Well, I guess that settles THAT age old question !
Zero
I don't think Lurie cares about credibility and he does care about Andy. If he blames Banner (or any name no longer associated with the team) for their high priced free agent failures and empathizes with Reid for the OL injuries there's a chance he retains the coach. Apparently Howie wasn't held accountable.

But there's also Vick. Jeffy didn't want the guy but Andy campaigned for him and won. MV had one good season and has been less than stellar since. And then there's Castillo ... which was it, a bad decision to hire him or a bad decision to fire him?

With his contract and his lack of success I assume Vick is gone. How about Bowles? Even when the OL was together last year teams claimed they knew what the Eagles were doing before they did it; success in the post season is a thing of the past in Philadelphia.

Is it possible for Andy to stay, relinquish direct control of the offense and hand it over to a new OC? Bowles hasn't been any better than Juan was ... keep the coach but bring in two new coordinators? That would probably mean a complete overhall of all the assistants too.

How about time management? I personally thing there's been too many bad decisions made by the HC for him to keep his job.
Zero
QUOTE (Bocadelphia Eagles John @ Nov 17 2012, 12:07 AM) *
I went into the backyard to see how many chickens there were so that I could pick one to decide whether or not to count it.

But all I could find was .. an egg.

Well, I guess that settles THAT age old question !

Geez, I said don't count chickens and you go right out and look for some to count. You confrontational SOB! I'd expect that if I said "skirts" instead of chickens but maybe you were just hungry 'cause I know you don't eat skirt. wink.gif
SAM I Am
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 16 2012, 03:27 PM) *

I think you might be right.

In addition to what you stated, there is also the fact that Andy will have over 5 mil coming to him next season in the final year of his contract. Nobody, including billionaires, like to throw that kind of money into the wind.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (TGryn @ Nov 15 2012, 09:01 PM) *

Jeff already sits amongst the fans. Well, kind of, sort of.

http://www.lincolnfinancialfield.com/luxurysuite/popup.html

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.