Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: your favorite andy reid moments
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
make_it_rain
I guess you could potentially discuss two different types of AR great moments in this thread:

Number One is your personal favorite AR gem, that one idiotic decision by Andy that has a special place in your heart because its so stupid its basically funny.

there are a TON to choose from here, one that stands out is the Jaiquawn Jarrett draft pick. A second round pick so terrible he was deservedly cut his second season. For me, he'll always always represent this dark age of horrendous Eagles safety play, sort of how James Trash and Stinkston are synonymous with the job squad receivers of the early 2000's teams. I thought the Stinkston draft pick (and the deal they gave him later) were pretty absurd too, but I digress, questionable reid era draft picks are a topic worthy of their own discussion

I'm sure I'm missing some other good ones here, just having a bit of trouble recalling them off the top of my head at the moment.

The second is the one decision/moment throughout coach reid's tenure that stands out in your mind as the single WORST decision/moment of his career. This could be draft picks, in-game playcalls, entire gameplans, staffing decisions, etc.

you could make a case for many things here, but I'd go thewith the hiring of Castillo. Last season we still had a healthy offensive line, Vick and Namdi were a year younger, Vick himself wasn't nearly as bad as he is this season, and yet the team still missed the playoffs by one game. More or less every loss from the first six games of that season was entirely on the defense.

Even if you say the losses weren't entirely on the defense, I'd still venture to say that any competent DC, or at least someone that has coached defensively (with the exception of Sean McDermott), would have gameplanned well enough to win at least one or two of those games that were dropped early last season (or at least stave off the collapse in the Arz/SF games). Obviously, another win there translates to a division title and a home playoff game, right after the team and especially the defense had been playing well towards the end of the season.

say what you want about what would have happened in the playoffs, but to miss them in large part due to a decision like that blows.

Zero
I'll never forget the camera catching Andy saying "watch this" after he called a play that was a successful long pass for a TD. Great play, but for me it was a demonstration of an arrogance that Reid and the organization carried for so long.
CT_Eagle
Well there was that one time when the Eagles were trailing late in the game and did not have any timeouts left. They were burned in the 3rd quarter because Reid could not get a play into the huddle quickly enough after a change of possession.
HOUSEoPAIN
Number One is your personal favorite AR gem, that one idiotic decision by Andy that has a special place in your heart because its so stupid its basically funny

It's hard to think of one of his boneheaded calls that's FUNNY, because pissing games down your leg is anything but.....however, the opener against Tampa Bay, first game at the Linc, after our humiliating loss to them in the NFCCG, last game at the Vet. En route to having his fat ass handed to him with Gruden's autograph AGAIN, he challenged a play in the 1st quarter that would've given us 4th and 2 if successful, as opposed to 4th and 3 if unsuccessful - and we lost it. I was in the car driving to my friend's house, and I just chuckled - remember, back then this shit was still funny. Even Merrill Reese, classy as ever, was just like 'umm, I'm not quite sure WHY Andy is challenging this, maybe someone upstairs saw something he didn't'

The second is the one decision/moment throughout coach reid's tenure that stands out in your mind as the single WORST decision/moment of his career. This could be draft picks, in-game playcalls, entire gameplans, staffing decisions, etc.

I'll go with what is quite possibly our most embarassing 2 week stretch in the last 14 years - 11-4, looking for a bye week, and we face the Cowboys. He brings his Andyball gameplan, 83/17 pass/run, and we get annihilated. Next week, as the 6th seed, we travel to Dallas. After studying hours of film and planning for the game, he brings it again.....pretty much the exact same gameplan, and we get destroyed again. Months later Keith Brooking would tell an interviewer how predictable we were.

*Dishonorable Mentions: Way too many to list, but his '03 championship game playcalling, the '09 championship game debacle after slaughtering the Cards on Thanksgiving with a balanced attack, hiring Castillo, 'I goofed,' calling timeout on 3rd and 8 with 2:03 left against the Raiders as they were trying to run out the clock - allowing them to pass, and get the first down.

I could write a book about this honestly.

Dr. Claw
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 15 2012, 06:27 AM) *
I'll never forget the camera catching Andy saying "watch this" after he called a play that was a successful long pass for a TD. Great play, but for me it was a demonstration of an arrogance that Reid and the organization carried for so long.

LMAO. That's Andy in a nutshell, right there. I wonder if that's on Youtube
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 15 2012, 10:51 AM) *
It's hard to think of one of his boneheaded calls that's FUNNY, because pissing games down your leg is anything but.....however, the opener against Tampa Bay, first game at the Linc, after our humiliating loss to them in the NFCCG, last game at the Vet. En route to having his fat ass handed to him with Gruden's autograph AGAIN, he challenged a play in the 1st quarter that would've given us 4th and 2 if successful, as opposed to 4th and 3 if unsuccessful - and we lost it. I was in the car driving to my friend's house, and I just chuckled - remember, back then this shit was still funny. Even Merrill Reese, classy as ever, was just like 'umm, I'm not quite sure WHY Andy is challenging this, maybe someone upstairs saw something he didn't'

He did something like that this season. Turned a 3rd and 24 into 2nd and 26 on some BS in the Cardinals game... for no reason at all. And Fitzgerald ALMOST got it all back on the next play.

I'll go with what is quite possibly our most embarassing 2 week stretch in the last 14 years - 11-4, looking for a bye week, and we face the Cowboys. He brings his Andyball gameplan, 83/17 pass/run, and we get annihilated. Next week, as the 6th seed, we travel to Dallas. After studying hours of film and planning for the game, he brings it again.....pretty much the exact same gameplan, and we get destroyed again. Months later Keith Brooking would tell an interviewer how predictable we were.

Thank goodness Favre ethered that nonsense the game following. I generally dislike Old Favre for a number of reasons, but that day? Funniest loss the Cowboys ever took that I witnessed... and 44-6 was close

*Dishonorable Mentions: Way too many to list, but his '03 championship game playcalling, the '09 championship game debacle after slaughtering the Cards on Thanksgiving with a balanced attack, hiring Castillo, 'I goofed,' calling timeout on 3rd and 8 with 2:03 left against the Raiders as they were trying to run out the clock - allowing them to pass, and get the first down.

I could write a book about this honestly.

You could distill that into a single sentence:

"Eagles have effective running back; Andy abandons him".

From Duce (in that 03 NFCCG game) to B-West in the Super Bowl to Shady today.

As for that '09 Championship, I really blame the defense for that back-breaking play, but the Eagles would probably be up more than 1 stinkin' point if not for passaholism early on.

I'd love to be rid of that damn WCO more than anything else. Even if it's still a mostly passing offense, I'd rather this team do it like the Steelers do.
xsv
One thing that really sticks out was last season, when the play came in late, the play clock was winding down, and they weren't going to get it off on time. So Andy calls a timeout. After the time out, on the very first play, the Eagles still get a delay of game penalty for not getting the play off on time.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (xsv @ Nov 15 2012, 01:24 PM) *
One thing that really sticks out was last season, when the play came in late, the play clock was winding down, and they weren't going to get it off on time. So Andy calls a timeout. After the time out, on the very first play, the Eagles still get a delay of game penalty for not getting the play off on time.

That's happened so many times in the last decade I figured it wasn't worth mentioning. But yeah, agreed. One of my favorites is having to call timeout at the beginning of a quarter, or after an injury timeout.
mcnabbulous
You guys do realize that according to essentially all of the beat guys, Andy hasn't been calling plays since 2006.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Dr. Claw @ Nov 15 2012, 02:16 PM) *
He did something like that this season. Turned a 3rd and 24 into 2nd and 26 on some BS in the Cardinals game... for no reason at all. And Fitzgerald ALMOST got it all back on the next play.

This was discussed at length around here after the game. I'm quite certain it was a product of the replacement refs having no idea what the fuck was going on.

As for that '09 Championship, I really blame the defense for that back-breaking play, but the Eagles would probably be up more than 1 stinkin' point if not for passaholism early on.

Or Donovan playing like absolute horse shit for the entire first half. It's tough to beat a good offense when your team only shows up for one half.

I'd love to be rid of that damn WCO more than anything else. Even if it's still a mostly passing offense, I'd rather this team do it like the Steelers do.

I'm almost positive the Steelers are running a version of the WCO these days.
HOUSEoPAIN
I know I'm not the only one who was counting down the time until Mr. Stick-up-his-ass Reid groupie showed up to 'correct' us.

Oh well. Fun thread anyway.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 15 2012, 02:34 PM) *
This was discussed at length around here after the game. I'm quite certain it was a product of the replacement refs having no idea what the fuck was going on.

since then the 'regular referees' have shown very little difference between them both.

Or Donovan playing like absolute horse shit for the entire first half. It's tough to beat a good offense when your team only shows up for one half.

Actually it was the D that played like virtual horse shit the entire game. They couldn't hold onto a lead in the 2nd half and allowed Warner to orchestrate another comeback and lead his team to the SB. Ironically, Castillo's D did the same thing this season (during the regular season) and he was shit canned for it....McDermott was the interim DC and he got a promotion...then he got shit canned too.

I'm almost positive the Steelers are running a version of the WCO these days.

If that means balanced passing and rushing. This isn't last season where they passed more often than not.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 15 2012, 03:51 PM) *
I know I'm not the only one who was counting down the time until Mr. Stick-up-his-ass Reid groupie showed up to 'correct' us.

Oh well. Fun thread anyway.

Oh, rest assured, I have no problem criticizing Andy. I've been doing it longer than anyone regarding the draft.

I just don't see the value in making stuff up.

QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 15 2012, 04:20 PM) *
since then the 'regular referees' have shown very little difference between them both.

That's not really the argument that was being made. The point was that the refs blew the call. It wasn't an Andy decision.

Actually it was the D that played like virtual horse shit the entire game. They couldn't hold onto a lead in the 2nd half and allowed Warner to orchestrate another comeback and lead his team to the SB. Ironically, Castillo's D did the same thing this season (during the regular season) and he was shit canned for it....McDermott was the interim DC and he got a promotion...then he got shit canned too.

I agree that our defense didn't play well in that game, but not many people expected them to shut down the Cardinals. They were the 3rd best offense in football.

Most people didn't expect Donovan to shit the bed against them. They were the 28th best defense.

Not to add too much fact to this circle jerk, but Johnson was still our DC in that game.

If that means balanced passing and rushing. This isn't last season where they passed more often than not.

We currently rank 9th in attempts and 10th in yards. Pittsburgh is 14th in attempts and 21st in yards.

Like I said, sorry to ruin the fun, but you guys are terrible with facts.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 15 2012, 04:34 PM) *
Oh, rest assured, I have no problem criticizing Andy. I've been doing it longer than anyone regarding the draft.

I just don't see the value in making stuff up.

That's not really the argument that was being made. The point was that the refs blew the call. It wasn't an Andy decision.

I agree that our defense didn't play well in that game, but not many people expected them to shut down the Cardinals. They were the 3rd best offense in football.

Most people didn't expect Donovan to shit the bed against them. They were the 28th best defense.

Not to add too much fact to this circle jerk, but Johnson was still our DC in that game.

We currently rank 9th in attempts and 10th in yards. Pittsburgh is 14th in attempts and 21st in yards.

Like I said, sorry to ruin the fun, but you guys are terrible with facts.

Fact 1:
JJ was dying of cancer and 'sitting or lying' down in the booth. McD was the on field general acting as a DC.

Fact 2:
Pittsburgh has 331 passing attempts vs 246 rushing attempts
Pittsburgh is 6-3
Pittsburgh had 539 passing attempts vs 434 rushing attempts
Pittsburgh finished 12-4

I'll take their execution over ours any day.

Fact 3:
Everybody expected our D to shut down the Cards. We owned them, doesn't matter what the stats appear to say. Dawkins was a step slower and Warner ate up our secondary, because he had a guy the call 'Fitz'

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 15 2012, 09:10 PM) *
Fact 1:
JJ was dying of cancer and 'sitting or lying' down in the booth. McD was the on field general acting as a DC.
What point are you trying to make here? Under those circumstances, should our defense been counted on that game? Sounds like we needed our O to step up, and they didn't.

Fact 2:
Pittsburgh has 331 passing attempts vs 246 rushing attempts
Pittsburgh is 6-3
Pittsburgh had 539 passing attempts vs 434 rushing attempts
Pittsburgh finished 12-4

I'll take their execution over ours any day.
Phits, you're a character. You do realize I've been making the 'execution' argument against you for years, right. Our coaching isn't the problem, it's the guys on the field. Pittsburgh's guys, specifically the rapist, are better than our guys. It's that simple.

Fact 3:
Everybody expected our D to shut down the Cards. We owned them, doesn't matter what the stats appear to say. Dawkins was a step slower and Warner ate up our secondary, because he had a guy the call 'Fitz

No one expected that.

Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 16 2012, 12:49 AM) *
What point are you trying to make here? Under those circumstances, should our defense been counted on that game? Sounds like we needed our O to step up, and they didn't.

No one expected that.

That's your revision of the history. Here's the truth:

After McNabb's benching he returned as more of a game manager, the offense was sustainable, but far from dominant. We stomped a mud hole on the Cruds on Thanksgiving (or did you forget the 48-20 drubbing). On offense, there was balance in the play calling. On defense we leaned on them to do their thing. They responded in kind. By the time we entered the post season our D was play lights out. By comparison, the Cruds (despite winning their division) were a Cinderella team, and limped into the post season going 2-4 in their last 6.

The first half of the conference championship game was abysmal (for us) on both sides of the ball. By the time we blinked we were down 3 scores and 'Fitz' had 150+ receiving yards and 3 TD's. They had 24 points we had 6. After the half we flipped the script and bang-bang-bang we are up 25-24 in the 4th. Warner closed the deal by engineering an 8+ minute 4th quarter drive for the score and 2 point conversion. The D had one job....stop them and they couldn't. But for a brief stretch in the 3rd quarter they looked lost/clueless.

Phits, you're a character. You do realize I've been making the 'execution' argument against you for years, right. Our coaching isn't the problem, it's the guys on the field. Pittsburgh's guys, specifically the rapist, are better than our guys. It's that simple.

Their guys are 'better' because their coaches make them better. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, but over all it's the truth. Nnamdi, Babin, Jenkins etc.. for some reason when they played elsewhere they were the toast of the town, they get to the Eagles black hole and they look slightly better than used toilet paper. Even some of our home grown (Cole, DJax, Maclin, Celek etc..) seem to stink up the place, despite having all the talent necessary to excel. As a result of the lack of coaching leadership this team looks like dog shit and the players appear to be talentless.

I've said it before, you need good coaching to make good players look great. Exceptions noted, but it's the rule of thumb. bringing in coaches because they appear to be the best at what they do is a lazy way to go about it. That is why we are where we are. plain and simple. good coaching can mask problems. coach up their strengths to mask the weaknesses.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
My favorite Andy Reid moment is yet to come.

But I'm hoping the moment he is no longer an Eagle is just around the corner.
Eyrie
In the interests of balance I'll offer up a positive moment from Reid - opening the season with an onsides kick at the Cowboys.

And to avoid a thread hijack I'll add that he was super-genius to try the same trick a couple of years later when Parcells was the HC.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Nov 16 2012, 01:54 PM) *
In the interests of balance I'll offer up a positive moment from Reid - opening the season with an onsides kick at the Cowboys.

And to avoid a thread hijack I'll add that he was super-genius to try the same trick a couple of years later when Parcells was the HC.

I was going to do a GOOD 'favorite Reid moment' thread in fairness to him, and I was going to say the exact same thing! cheers.gif

41-14 over the Cowboys in Dallas, starting with an onsides kick. That began our ascent from darkness. jumpclap.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 16 2012, 11:57 AM) *
That's your revision of the history. Here's the truth:

After McNabb's benching he returned as more of a game manager, the offense was sustainable, but far from dominant. We stomped a mud hole on the Cruds on Thanksgiving (or did you forget the 48-20 drubbing). On offense, there was balance in the play calling. On defense we leaned on them to do their thing. They responded in kind. By the time we entered the post season our D was play lights out. By comparison, the Cruds (despite winning their division) were a Cinderella team, and limped into the post season going 2-4 in their last 6.

The first half of the conference championship game was abysmal (for us) on both sides of the ball. By the time we blinked we were down 3 scores and 'Fitz' had 150+ receiving yards and 3 TD's. They had 24 points we had 6. After the half we flipped the script and bang-bang-bang we are up 25-24 in the 4th. Warner closed the deal by engineering an 8+ minute 4th quarter drive for the score and 2 point conversion. The D had one job....stop them and they couldn't. But for a brief stretch in the 3rd quarter they looked lost/clueless.

We scored 48 on them a few weeks earlier and struggled to get to 25 in the NFCCG. That was cause your boy didn't show up for a half. It also put our defense in a terrible spot.

Their guys are 'better' because their coaches make them better. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, but over all it's the truth. Nnamdi, Babin, Jenkins etc.. for some reason when they played elsewhere they were the toast of the town, they get to the Eagles black hole and they look slightly better than used toilet paper. Even some of our home grown (Cole, DJax, Maclin, Celek etc..) seem to stink up the place, despite having all the talent necessary to excel. As a result of the lack of coaching leadership this team looks like dog shit and the players appear to be talentless.

I've said it before, you need good coaching to make good players look great. Exceptions noted, but it's the rule of thumb. bringing in coaches because they appear to be the best at what they do is a lazy way to go about it. That is why we are where we are. plain and simple. good coaching can mask problems. coach up their strengths to mask the weaknesses.

Roethlisberger is much better than Vick. It's pretty simple. Swap them and you'd likely see different results.
D Rock
My favorite Andy moment (and forgive if this goes against the tone of the thread) was a great one.

I'll always remember "the pickle juice" game to open the season in Dallas with on field temps north of 100 degrees. Duce ran for over 200, we opened the game (or was it the 2nd half) with an onsides kick that NO ONE saw coming and throttled those cowgirls 48 - 14.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.