Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I don't think Lurie can wait until the end of the season...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
xsv
If he wants to get the first shot all top candidates, then I don't think he should wait until the end of the season to fire Andy. Washington and Dallas will both likely also have the head coach position open, which means increased competition to get the best guys.

Fire him now, let Todd Bowles take over as the interim, and start interviewing.
TGryn
The best candidates won't be available until after the Super Bowl is done. There also isn't a rule that prevents interviewing anyone not currently under a coaching contract (Gruden, Cowher), although it would be a huge disrespect to whoever was currently HC, whether that's Reid or an interim. I don't think that's how Lurie wants things to be done.

Bowles is also obviously struggling with just running the defense, seeing how much of a dropoff has happened since he took over. Don't think it really matters who the interim is, but if that's the case, may as well stick with Andy and let him ride the plane down in flames. If we're talking long-term, once the season is written off, more losses = higher drafting position...although it also means we're probably going to have to turn over most of the roster, since a culture of losing will have set in and need to be purged, but we're going to have to do that anyway with the older guys and the underperformers we have.
HobbEs

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't making Bowles Interim HC circumvent the Rooney rule? Not that it matters anyway...I hope Jeffrey is at least compiling a list if candidates.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (xsv @ Nov 12 2012, 10:10 AM) *
If he wants to get the first shot all top candidates, then I don't think he should wait until the end of the season to fire Andy. Washington and Dallas will both likely also have the head coach position open, which means increased competition to get the best guys.

not at all........first, it looks bad to firing a coach midseason...everyone knows what will happen here and there will be negotiations before a hire........and no good coach will come in now...they will wait til after the season for that competition to begin......why would you think that the prospective coaches would sign early to avoid competition?...these guys have agents also...they know the deal....they will also watch the way you handle Reid...he is loved by the good coaches, hell, everyone in the NFL outside of Philly.

By the way.....do you honestly believe any big time candidate will want to work for Jerry Jones over Lurie? Lurie is hands off....Jones is hands up your ass......not a hard choice and they both will pay well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.