Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Well, I guess we're in the mix for
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
xsv
Matt Barkley.

I like most of what I saw from Foles last night, but if I'm the new coach, I absolutely draft a QB with the high first round pick we're going to have. I'd go oline for the next 5 picks.
TGryn
Next year's supposed to be not a great one for QBs. If we're drafting in the top 10, I don't think we have any choice but to go BPA regardless of position. That high up, you can get a guy who's potentially a difference-maker that other teams have to game-plan around. If that's a QB like Barkley, great, but there's not a lot of positions left that couldn't use a potential Pro Bowl type. RB and WR are the only areas I'd exempt from that, and not even WR if Maclin isn't resigned.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (xsv @ Nov 12 2012, 10:05 AM) *
Matt Barkley.

I like most of what I saw from Foles last night, but if I'm the new coach, I absolutely draft a QB with the high first round pick we're going to have. I'd go oline for the next 5 picks.

Foles made some incredibly poor decision - you can chalk that up to him playing in his first real game, a big game at that, but a couple of his decisions were a lot worse than simple 'rookie fuckups' - the one where he threw across his body and the ball did a 20 foot rainbow for about 5 seconds was particularly disturbing. Yes it miraculously was completed, but c'mon.

Joe Flacco will be a free agent next year, and the Ravens will no doubt retain him - otherwise we have a bucket of shit for free agent QBs - I hate to keep drafting QBs and Foles should get more time to prove himself, but I fear whoever is coach is going to have to use our 1st or 2nd pick on another QB.
Eyrie
View it as a two-year rebuilding plan.

Gives Foles a full season to show what he can do and then hope that the QB class of 2014 has better prospects than the 2013 batch.
HobbEs
Gruden won a Super Bowl with Brad Johnson at QB. I think it's more important to get the right coach/system/philosophy in place before we start worrying about who our QB is.

That being said I would draft an OT before anything else. cool.gif
Dr. Claw
Matt Barkley.

I don't think the Eagles are in play for Barkley unless they lose out. but this is a down year for QBs... if only we could have tanked last year.

Then we'd have a new QB and also be Andy-free. But then we also might not have gotten Kendricks, Cox, and Curry...

OT is #1 need...
GQSmooth
Why the hell would anybody want to draft a QB out of USC after the last few busts??
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Nov 12 2012, 04:01 PM) *
Why the hell would anybody want to draft a QB out of USC after the last few busts??

Last few? When has a good QB EVER come out of USC?

Mark Sanchez, Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, Sean Salisbury, Rodney Peete, Pat Haden, Matt Cassel, Bill Nelsen, Pete Beathard, Vince Evans, Paul McDonald, Todd Marinovich, Rob Johnson, John David Booty
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Nov 12 2012, 02:59 PM) *
View it as a two-year rebuilding plan.

Gives Foles a full season to show what he can do and then hope that the QB class of 2014 has better prospects than the 2013 batch.

This. Although I hate the thought of Howie heading up said rebuilding plan.

I hope we continue getting better on defense (namely safety). Ugh, just thinking through our roster makes me realize how bad we are. I wouldn't rule out any position.

I just hope we take the best guy available. I don't care where they play, as long as they are a stud/impact player. Something we have too few of.

QUOTE (HobbEs @ Nov 12 2012, 03:39 PM) *
Gruden won a Super Bowl with Brad Johnson at QB. I think it's more important to get the right coach/system/philosophy in place before we start worrying about who our QB is.

That being said I would draft an OT before anything else. cool.gif

2002 was a different time. You don't win championships with Brad Johnson's anymore.

floridaguy
Matt Barkley.

Foles did fine. First picks have to be in the secondary I think. DRC is free agent and not that great and the over priced CB on the other side is old and sucks and will be cut.

Coleman is a liability too.

I think Secondary, two Cbs and a safety have to be targets in this draft.

Followed by OT so Todd can return to his natural Guard position. If Peters cant make it back from injury then push OT to the top of the list.
Dreagon
Since the QBs of the upcoming draft don't seem to be rocking anybody's world, what ya'll might want to do is spend the draft shoring up the OL and defense, while giving Foles a year to see what he's got. That way if Foles works out, it's all good. And if he ain't the answer, at least ya'll have already started putting the pieces in place around the guy you can draft in 2014. You might also want to look and see if you can bundle guys like Vick and Nhamdi, who doesn't seem to be working out for yall, with a pick to trade up and improve the impact of next year's draft. You may not move up a lot, but at least you get something for them that way.
xsv
QUOTE (floridaguy @ Nov 13 2012, 12:31 AM) *
Foles did fine. First picks have to be in the secondary I think. DRC is free agent and not that great and the over priced CB on the other side is old and sucks and will be cut.

Coleman is a liability too.

I think Secondary, two Cbs and a safety have to be targets in this draft.

Followed by OT so Todd can return to his natural Guard position. If Peters cant make it back from injury then push OT to the top of the list.

You want to wait until our 5th pick in the draft to get some help on the oline? And then you want to pencil that guy in to start? I think you have to go O lineman with 2 out of the first 3 picks.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
With the mess that the Eagles are in I feel there is only ONE strategy to employ in the next draft. And that is, pick the best player available regardless of position.

We need a total overhaul and depth and if we draft into a position where we already have some strength then we can trade that position out to fill a need somewhere.

This team is fucked right now. We need to act as if we are an expansion team.

Take the best available.

It's a desperate approach, for a desperate situation.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Bocadelphia Eagles John @ Nov 13 2012, 01:39 PM) *
With the mess that the Eagles are in I feel there is only ONE strategy to employ in the next draft. And that is, pick the best player available regardless of position.

We need a total overhaul and depth and if we draft into a position where we already have some strength then we can trade that position out to fill a need somewhere.

This team is fucked right now. We need to act as if we are an expansion team.

Take the best available.

It's a desperate approach, for a desperate situation.

Yep. You have any confidence that Howie can identify the best available? I sure don't.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 13 2012, 07:07 PM) *
Yep. You have any confidence that Howie can identify the best available? I sure don't.

I don't know. I think this last draft class was pretty good. Of course the experts say it takes 3 years to grade a draft but I am ok with this class. If he can continue to draft like this over the long haul, I think he will be all right.
floridaguy
QUOTE (xsv @ Nov 13 2012, 07:42 AM) *
You want to wait until our 5th pick in the draft to get some help on the oline? And then you want to pencil that guy in to start? I think you have to go O lineman with 2 out of the first 3 picks.

Well it would be the 4th pick if they take two cbs and a safety

Maybe they go cb, cb, OL, safety Or as i suggested if Peters is toast go a tad hire for an left OT === thing is it takes OL players sometime to adjust. Maybe they try free agent.

Look I dont think they give 23 a big contract maybe they do if they do they will over pay. I am sure they will cut and take the hit on 24 he lost it and hes old.

Now what do they have behind them Brandon Boykin decent nickle but not a starting cb and Curtis Marsh and Brandon Hughes --- I dont know I dont see any of them starting.
You can put a lot on the Dline but part of sacks is good coverage. This d secondary isnt even average anymore

Coleman flat out sucks - and little behind him -- he must be replaced

So ok if Peters is making it back I see them going OT.

Time will tell - but one think is for sure they cant go into next season with just Boykin Marsh and Hughes at cb

Reality Fan
not so much in a hurry to draft heavy on the oline......we get 3 starters back next year and Peters is a big return......I would look FA there for depth and draft 1 or 2 but not in the first round. I go safety or anywhere on the D actually or WR. I have had enough of Maclin.......and that bums me out, he has a ton of talent and no heart..... whether it was the alligator arms last game or consistently missing blocks for McCoy(who yelled at him for in one game earlier this year)....He is ok but should be so much more. I am thinking that letting Vick go and the salary cap as it is should free up more and they should have a boatload of money to spend next year so it is not as dark as it seems. Try to trade Nhamdi even if you have to eat money.....signing DRC will be pricey and I don't know if I do that but you can't get rid of everyone.......Cowher has to look at this team and lick his chops....they have talent on the O line returning, they have a top RB and the D is only a few players and an attitude short....they look bad right now but I think that is because of an attitude problem and I have heard rumors that there is and has been a fracture in the locker room...some guys really dislike other guys and the atmosphere is bad and has been since camp....guys going out too much, not taking the game seriously....and it seems that this is more fact than fiction..
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 13 2012, 07:52 PM) *
I have had enough of Maclin.......and that bums me out, he has a ton of talent and no heart..... whether it was the alligator arms last game or consistently missing blocks for McCoy(who yelled at him for in one game earlier this year)....He is ok but should be so much more.

Without question our most disappointing player this year. The guy looked to be our best wideout a few seasons ago. Not sure what happened to him.

It doesn't help that our QB sucks, but Maclin's effort has been embarrassing at times. With that said, Foles seemed to like throwing to him.
Pbfan
I think we have to go O lineman. We don't know how much of the defenses problem is due to the pure anarchy that comes from not having a good coordinator.
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 13 2012, 07:32 PM) *
Without question our most disappointing player this year. The guy looked to be our best wideout a few seasons ago. Not sure what happened to him.

It doesn't help that our QB sucks, but Maclin's effort has been embarrassing at times. With that said, Foles seemed to like throwing to him.

We're always told how much other players love Vick. Is that true? It sure looked to me like both sides of the ball played harder when Foles came in last Sunday. They see the film and know the calls.

Could we be seeing "for who, for what" redux?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.