Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looks like Vick is officially benched
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
xsv
With a pitiful NO defense coming up next week and almost two weeks before hist first home appearance, I think it's the right time.

Vick has proven time and time again that he doesn't have the mental ability to play this game... no matter how amazing his athletic ability used to be.

The *only* thing I don't like about this is that if Foles plays well (which is by no means probable), we could end up making a run and getting in the playoffs, and possibly saving Reid's job. I wouldn't mind the rest of it but I hope that last part doesn't come true.
Phits
This should have happened before the bye. It would have given Foles an extra week of preparation during the bye. The rookie is in for a real NFL welcome by heading to the Super dome...on Monday night...after the Saints had their asses handed to them by the Broncos in prime time.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 29 2012, 01:09 PM) *
The rookie is in for a real NFL welcome by heading to the Super dome...on Monday night...after the Saints had their asses handed to them by the Broncos in prime time.

Fortunately they have an all time terrible defense. First team to ever allow over 400 in each of their first 7 games.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 29 2012, 02:24 PM) *
Fortunately they have an all time terrible defense. First team to ever allow over 400 in each of their first 7 games.

well there's that too smile.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 29 2012, 01:26 PM) *
well there's that too smile.gif

Might actually be the best possible situation to get him in the game. The road environment may be tough though.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (xsv @ Oct 29 2012, 02:05 PM) *
With a pitiful NO defense coming up next week and almost two weeks before hist first home appearance, I think it's the right time.

Vick has proven time and time again that he doesn't have the mental ability to play this game... no matter how amazing his athletic ability used to be.

The *only* thing I don't like about this is that if Foles plays well (which is by no means probable), we could end up making a run and getting in the playoffs, and possibly saving Reid's job. I wouldn't mind the rest of it but I hope that last part doesn't come true.

From Reid's point of view, obviously he's trying to save his job at this point.

From my point of view, I'd rather see Vick finish out the season - it's a lost season, and however bad it is now, it'll be worse if Foles gets killed behind our o-line and we have to draft/trade for another goddam QB next year. Also, assuming Reid and his sidekicks are gone, it'll be better to have Foles work in the off-season with a new coach, new system, etc.

And as is pointed out on this thread, while NO has an all-time shitty defense, I wouldn't underestimate a rookie making his first start against them on the road, on Monday night, a week after they got embarassed on national tv. Not the optimal way to start a young QBs career.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 29 2012, 01:34 PM) *
And as is pointed out on this thread, while NO has an all-time shitty defense, I wouldn't underestimate a rookie making his first start against them on the road, on Monday night, a week after they got embarassed on national tv. Not the optimal way to start a young QBs career.

I'm not sure if playing in a hostile road environment may not be better than playing in a hostile home environment, given the state of the team right now.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 29 2012, 02:27 PM) *
Might actually be the best possible situation to get him in the game. The road environment may be tough though.

I understand the rationale behind it. It makes sense. My concern is with the beat down New Orleans took last night. If our D doesn't step up this will be a shoot-out, and I don't know if our rookie will be up to the task.

Then again, there's only one way to find out.......
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 29 2012, 02:37 PM) *
I'm not sure if playing in a hostile road environment may not be better than playing in a hostile home environment, given the state of the team right now.

Touche. What's the over/under in gametime before we start hearing chants from the crowd: 'Edwards, Edwards.'
Bez
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 29 2012, 01:09 PM) *
This should have happened before the bye. It would have given Foles an extra week of preparation during the bye. The rookie is in for a real NFL welcome by heading to the Super dome...on Monday night...after the Saints had their asses handed to them by the Broncos in prime time.
At this point Peyton and the Donks are the most entertaining team in the AFC. I look forward to Foles trial by fire.
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (xsv @ Oct 29 2012, 02:05 PM) *

Screw the rest of what you said, but I'm 100% with this.

I do believe that this is the final punt in the age of Andy, however.

4 more losses and then Andy's outta here. There's no way this team goes deep in the playoffs with a rookie QB.
D Rock
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 29 2012, 07:09 PM) *
This should have happened before the bye.

100% agreed. Giving Nick the extra week to prep for his first start would have made the most sense. I guess Reid wanted to give MV a lil more rope with which to hang himself. We'll get mistakes with the rookie, but I can't imagine we'd get many more than those we're getting with Vick. Time to to see if the kid has anything with the real defenses out there.
SAM I Am
I'm not seeing anything out there reporting Vick being benched. Anyone?
Dreagon
Maybe ya'll could trade him to the Jets before the deadline, and then use whatever you get to bundle with your first round pick in order to move up and try for a long term franchise quarterback?
Bocadelphia Eagles John
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Oct 29 2012, 03:58 PM) *
I'm not seeing anything out there reporting Vick being benched. Anyone?

Nothing on nfl.com nor on Eagles official site. Haven't seen any espn or nfl tv yet so can't comment there .... buy yes, I'm curious about this post too.
Phits
Rumors originate from his post game comments yesterday. Then you have Eskin, which sparked Florio and the snowball/rumor mill has been steady ever since.
SAM I Am
Philly CSN Daily News Live not reporting it, and believe me, if Vick was being replaced they would have it by now.

Vick is still the starting QB for the Eagles.
D Rock
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Oct 29 2012, 10:23 PM) *
Vick is still the starting QB for the Eagles.

Boooooooooooooo

mad.gif
TGryn
Vick was asked about it, and he said nobody has told him he's not starting. Looks like another inaccurate rumor - Vick is still the starter.
Eyrie
My main concern here is our OL. If it can't stop Vick getting flattened after every attempt, what chance does Foles have? We can only hope that he can get the ball out quickly enough to prevent the defence getting close enough to hit him. We've got too many holes without wrecking the career of our prospective future QB by getting him gun-shy from the off (think of David Carr and the effect on his career of playing behind a porous Houston OL).

I understand the logic behind giving Foles a road game to adapt before playing at the Linc, but that first home game is Dallas and the crowd won't be tolerant of a rookie's struggles against the loathsome Cowboys (sorry Dreagon).

Looking ahead I'd be inclined to leave Vick in for the next two games and maybe give Foles the fourth quarter against Dallas unless the score is still close. Depending on how Vick has played either could start at the Racially Insensitives, but the best game for Foles to herald our new era will be the Panthers at home.

After that he has a couple of road games (Cowboys again followed by Buccaneers) before his next two home games (Racially Insensitives and Bengals). Week 17 is at the NJ VaGiants, but our season will long over by then.

Six or seven games is long enough for him to get used to the pace of the NFL (as opposed to pre-season) and will give the new HC some tape to evaluate him.
D Rock
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Oct 30 2012, 10:26 AM) *
My main concern here is our OL. If it can't stop Vick getting flattened after every attempt, what chance does Foles have? We can only hope that he can get the ball out quickly enough to prevent the defence getting close enough to hit him. We've got too many holes without wrecking the career of our prospective future QB by getting him gun-shy from the off (think of David Carr and the effect on his career of playing behind a porous Houston OL).

I understand the logic behind giving Foles a road game to adapt before playing at the Linc, but that first home game is Dallas and the crowd won't be tolerant of a rookie's struggles against the loathsome Cowboys (sorry Dreagon).

Looking ahead I'd be inclined to leave Vick in for the next two games and maybe give Foles the fourth quarter against Dallas unless the score is still close. Depending on how Vick has played either could start at the Racially Insensitives, but the best game for Foles to herald our new era will be the Panthers at home.

After that he has a couple of road games (Cowboys again followed by Buccaneers) before his next two home games (Racially Insensitives and Bengals). Week 17 is at the NJ VaGiants, but our season will long over by then.

Six or seven games is long enough for him to get used to the pace of the NFL (as opposed to pre-season) and will give the new HC some tape to evaluate him.

I know it was only preseason, but remember. Vick got murdered on each of 6 snaps in preseason and hurt twice. Foles came in and went un sacked but for running out of bounds inches behind the LOS. The line is lousy without doubt. But many of the hits on Vick are because he simply won't pull the trigger. Do you think defenders stopped tryin to get pressure when Vick left? Because it most certainly went away with him.
Dreagon
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 30 2012, 09:55 AM) *
But many of the hits on Vick are because he simply won't pull the trigger. Do you think defenders stopped tryin to get pressure when Vick left? Because it most certainly went away with him.

There is a good point made here. One of the main reasons Eli doesn't get sacked all that much is that he knows when to get rid of the ball. His line ain't all that great, and he's an okay scrambler, but the main thing he does right is simply throw it away when he has to.
Phits
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Oct 30 2012, 10:59 AM) *
There is a good point made here. One of the main reasons Eli doesn't get sacked all that much is that he knows when to get rid of the ball. His line ain't all that great, and he's an okay scrambler, but the main thing he does right is simply throw it away when he has to.

Another key difference is that Vick still throws up the ball when he is going to get hit. He hasn't learned not to do that yet. Eli has. Once Eli learned this he stopped turning the ball over (as much) and he became acutely aware of the blitz and it helped him with his progression as a QB. As much as I dislike Gomer, he has ice water in his veins and his awareness is a key contributor to that fearlessness.
Eyrie
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 30 2012, 02:55 PM) *
I know it was only preseason, but remember. Vick got murdered on each of 6 snaps in preseason and hurt twice. Foles came in and went un sacked but for running out of bounds inches behind the LOS. The line is lousy without doubt. But many of the hits on Vick are because he simply won't pull the trigger. Do you think defenders stopped tryin to get pressure when Vick left? Because it most certainly went away with him.

You've seen more of Foles than I have, so if you (and others) think he can get rid of the ball quickly enough then there is little to lose by making the change now. Gods know that Vick hanging onto the ball and then throwing it at the last second isn't getting the job done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.