Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brandon Graham: Juan Castillo ran “the same stuff over and over”
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Phits
Eagles defensive end Brandon Graham says recently fired defensive coordinator Juan Castillo ran a predictable defense that opposing offenses had figured out, resulting in blowing a lot of fourth-quarter leads — and ultimately resulting in Castillo’s dismissal.

First our offense is criticized, by the opposition, for it's predictability. Now our own players are telling us that our defense is predictable. Perhaps they should have just executed the plays as they were illustrated?

link

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 24 2012, 07:12 PM) *
First our offense is criticized, by the opposition, for it's predictability. Now our own players are telling us that our defense is predictable. Perhaps they should have just executed the plays as they were illustrated?

link

Disgusting
koolaidluke
Keith Brooking is a lying sack of shit. The Cowboys were getting into the backfield on every play in those two games because our OL couldn't block, not because we were too "predictable".

The Eagles O has tendencies and team that have us really well scouted (like the Cowboys) can predict those tendencies some of the time, but that doesn't make us a predictable offense.

Andy/Marty have cost us two games this season with their retarded gameplanning/playcalling, but their problem is not that they are predictable, it's that they are retarded. Castillo on the other hand, he was predictable.
JeeQ
Brandon Graham is learning quickly from Reid. He's already learned to shift the blame on someone else when he's the one who sucks.
TGryn
Predictable isn't automatically bad, if the players are executing the game plan well. Cover-2 is a pretty basic defense, but it can be a tough nut to crack against good players even if you know what's coming. I also note that Castillo's last act, the change to Cover-2 and taking Nnambi off Megatron, was decidedly *un*-predictable, since it didn't make a whole lot of sense to change.
Rick
So passing on almost every play isn't predictable? Ok, maybe they don't know the EXACT play they'll run but, I don't know how anyone can say this offense has not been anything but predictable this season.

We pass, pass, pass and pass again. Maybe throw a run in there. Definitely run the ball on short yardage with the same play they ALWAYS seem to run on short yardage. No screen passes to (maybe) slow the pass rush down. Vick is gonna hold the ball, hold the ball, hold the ball and get sacked (and fumble), scramble for a gain or throw the ball up for grabs.

That's been our offense this whole season. They happened to get away with it in 3 games (barely).
HobbEs
Predictable or not the defense was playing better than the offense or special teams.
HobbEs
Not to mention that this is coming from a first round bust. Brandon Graham has no right to talk about anybody...
koolaidluke
The Eagles don't run that much less than average.

The play calling this year has been an absolute travesty, but the issue has been the type of pass plays that are being called, not the fact that we're throwing.

Anybody who thinks the Eagles problems on offense have anything to do with not running the ball an extra two times a game prefers the company of men.
TGryn
We're actually 8th overall in rushes per game. Even if you take QB rushes out, we'd still be somewhere in the middle.

I've felt better about running more against the Lions if McCoy hadn't finished with a 1.6 yds/rush average. When that's happening - and a lot of that gets back to our OL troubles - giving him more carries is just throwing good money after bad, the run game clearly wasn't working. When he is burning teams, like he did against the Giants, they do use him more.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (TGryn @ Oct 25 2012, 11:48 AM) *
We're actually 8th overall in rushes per game. Even if you take QB rushes out, we'd still be somewhere in the middle.

We're 13th in attempts - when you take out Vick's rushes, we're actually tied for 30th there tiger. Of course, some of his rushes are called runs, but even if we added 10 of those back out of 41 we'd be tied for 24th.

Predictability when dealing with professional athletes is always bad. If Nolan Ryan threw 102 mph fastballs down the middle every pitch he never would've won a game in his life. Add a curveball and a changeup to the mix and he strikes out almost 6,000 people and throws what, 7 no hitters?

We've gone over the stats time and time again, and we've gone over our winning pct. when we utilize our 2,000 yard back, and we've pointed out defensive players calling our coach predictable, which is unprecedented (and obviously true). It's just so sad at this point we keep beating this horse to death. It's Reid-apologism-dementia at this point.

Don't worry though, every week I'll continue to update our record when McCoy gets 20 rushes, as well as our record when he doesn't get 20 rushes. rolleyes.gif

JeeQ
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 25 2012, 09:27 AM) *
We're 13th in attempts - when you take out Vick's rushes, we're actually tied for 30th there tiger. Of course, some of his rushes are called runs, but even if we added 10 of those back out of 41 we'd be tied for 24th.

Predictability when dealing with professional athletes is always bad. If Nolan Ryan threw 102 mph fastballs down the middle every pitch he never would've won a game in his life. Add a curveball and a changeup to the mix and he strikes out almost 6,000 people and throws what, 7 no hitters?

We've gone over the stats time and time again, and we've gone over our winning pct. when we utilize our 2,000 yard back, and we've pointed out defensive players calling our coach predictable, which is unprecedented (and obviously true). It's just so sad at this point we keep beating this horse to death. It's Reid-apologism-dementia at this point.

Don't worry though, every week I'll continue to update our record when McCoy gets 20 rushes, as well as our record when he doesn't get 20 rushes. rolleyes.gif

Not to derail the thread, but more then anything I always hated defensive players and opposing coaches thanking us for taking LeSean McCoy out of the game. They're always pleasantly shocked our best player is extremely underutilized.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Oct 25 2012, 12:47 PM) *
Not to derail the thread, but more then anything I always hated defensive players and opposing coaches thanking us for taking LeSean McCoy out of the game. They're always pleasantly shocked our best player is extremely underutilized.

Yes, like I said it's unprecedented to hear an opposing player call another HC predictable. Others have done it too I believe, I think Ed Reed or Suggs? What's more maddening is those who continue to deny his obvious predictability.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 25 2012, 11:27 AM) *

No. You've pointed out defensive player (singular) saying it after one game, 3 years ago. When a coach has been doing it for 10 years, obviously things become prefictable to a certain degree. The constant images of our receivers running wide open gives me confidence that defenses don't know what's coming. Having a QB who can make them pay is what's going to separate us.
TGryn
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 25 2012, 09:27 AM) *
Attempts per game is the better stat to use, since we just had our bye week and certain other teams haven't had theirs yet - not surprisingly, most of the teams above us in total attempts have played 7 games (vs. the Eagles 6), hence have a extra games' worth of rushing attempts under their belt.

Also, if you throw out Vick's attempts, you have to do the same for every team's QB rushes in order to get a valid comparison. We're not the only team where QB scrambles end up being a big part of the run stats - Washington, Carolina, Seattle, etc.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 25 2012, 01:17 PM) *
No. You've pointed out defensive player (singular) saying it after one game, 3 years ago. When a coach has been doing it for 10 years, obviously things become prefictable to a certain degree. The constant images of our receivers running wide open gives me confidence that defenses don't know what's coming. Having a QB who can make them pay is what's going to separate us.

You're bound to see free receivers if the play runs long enough.....especially with the benefit of All-22 or video replays, that doesn't mean that the QB had the opportunity to see the play open up -or- the QB could have gone past that read and by the time he got back to the receiver the position changed....or 'blah blah blah'....see that plenty of variables.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (TGryn @ Oct 25 2012, 01:51 PM) *
Attempts per game is the better stat to use, since we just had our bye week and certain other teams haven't had theirs yet - not surprisingly, most of the teams above us in total attempts have played 7 games (vs. the Eagles 6), hence have a extra games' worth of rushing attempts under their belt.

Also, if you throw out Vick's attempts, you have to do the same for every team's QB rushes in order to get a valid comparison. We're not the only team where QB scrambles end up being a big part of the run stats - Washington, Carolina, Seattle, etc.

Yes good point, we'll stick to attempts/game.

RGIII has 64 attempts. Newton 46. Vick 41. Wilson 35. Then down to Alex Smith at 26 and below. If you take out Vick's attempts per game, it's almost 7 full attempts less. So basically, we fall down to around 25th in the league after that. The other teams around us either have elite QBs, or just totally suck. And it's our HC's job to build his scheme around our strengths and weaknesses (once again).

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 25 2012, 01:40 PM) *
You're bound to see free receivers if the play runs long enough.....especially with the benefit of All-22 or video replays, that doesn't mean that the QB had the opportunity to see the play open up -or- the QB could have gone past that read and by the time he got back to the receiver the position changed....or 'blah blah blah'....see that plenty of variables.

No, Vick is also seeing these receivers. He's just not hitting them.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 25 2012, 01:49 PM) *
And it's our HC's job to build his scheme around our strengths and weaknesses (once again).

This is true, but in the case of the Lions game, the Lions were stacking the box and forcing us to throw (as evidenced by McCoy's paltry average.)

Vick has to make teams pay if we're going to win consistently. Why you're letting the players off the hook and think this is exclusively a coaching issue is beyond me.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 25 2012, 03:29 PM) *
This is true, but in the case of the Lions game, the Lions were stacking the box and forcing us to throw (as evidenced by McCoy's paltry average.)

Vick has to make teams pay if we're going to win consistently. Why you're letting the players off the hook and think this is exclusively a coaching issue is beyond me.

Barry Sanders had 952 yards lost over his illustrious HOF career. I wonder how good he would have been if the coaches quit running when he was getting stuffed. "Forcing" us to throw isn't hard to do when teams know how quickly we abandon the run. Relying on an underachieving QB to 'make teams pay' is a fools move.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 25 2012, 03:17 PM) *
No, Vick is also seeing these receivers. He's just not hitting them.

hmmm....you can see through his eyes as well? some might call that witchcraft.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 25 2012, 03:41 PM) *
hmmm....you can see through his eyes as well? some might call that witchcraft.

I'm literally talking about plays where he throws it to a receiver and misses (often badly.) Resulting in bad incompletions or worse.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 25 2012, 03:39 PM) *
Barry Sanders had 952 yards lost over his illustrious HOF career. I wonder how good he would have been if the coaches quit running when he was getting stuffed. "Forcing" us to throw isn't hard to do when teams know how quickly we abandon the run. Relying on an underachieving QB to 'make teams pay' is a fools move.

In 2012, if you have a QB that can't make teams pay through the air, than you don't have a good team. So any thought of us underachieving is overblown.

If Vick is so terrible that he can't routinely hit open receivers, which has been the case, than we simply aren't a good football team.

If you don't think we'd have a significantly better record with an Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady at QB, you're more full of shit than I previously imagined.

Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 25 2012, 04:49 PM) *
In 2012, if you have a QB that can't make teams pay through the air, than you don't have a good team. So any thought of us underachieving is overblown.

Hmmm....tell that to the 49ers or the Ravens with their average QB's.

If Vick is so terrible that he can't routinely hit open receivers, which has been the case, than we simply aren't a good football team.

That's the guy that our "great" HC dumped his coveted QB Kevin Kolb for. Plenty of blame to go around, or does Reid's coaching record (wins and losses) still give him a pass like you think he should get for everything else? There is a myriad of reasons why we aren't a good team....Vick's play this season is just one of them.

If you don't think we'd have a significantly better record with an Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady at QB, you're more full of shit than I previously imagined.

If you don't think we'd have a significantly better record with an Bill Belichick or Sean Payton at HC, you're more full of shit than I previously imagined.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 25 2012, 03:56 PM) *
Hmmm....tell that to the 49ers or the Ravens with their average QB's.

Alex Smith is currently 8th in football in QBR and we beat the Ravens heads up, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. The game in which Flacco played terribly this season, the Ravens got absolutely destroyed.

That's the guy that our "great" HC dumped his coveted QB Kevin Kolb for. Plenty of blame to go around, or does Reid's coaching record (wins and losses) still give him a pass like you think he should get for everything else? There is a myriad of reasons why we aren't a good team....Vick's play this season is just one of them.

Yes, and Kevin Kolb has proven to be such a commodity. I'll take Vick's upside over Kolb every day, still.

If we were getting even above average play from Vick (and that could be as simple as not turning the ball over at historical rates) than we would be a much better team.

If you don't think we'd have a significantly better record with an Bill Belichick or Sean Payton at HC, you're more full of shit than I previously imagined.

You mean the 4-3 (previously 3-3) New England Patriots. Good point, Phits. The Patriots are just blowing our record out of the water.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 25 2012, 05:15 PM) *
Alex Smith is currently 8th in football in QBR and we beat the Ravens heads up, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. The game in which Flacco played terribly this season, the Ravens got absolutely destroyed.

They are both average QB's who have HC's that know how to utilize the run game to help out their QB.

Yes, and Kevin Kolb has proven to be such a commodity. I'll take Vick's upside over Kolb every day, still.

Kolb was Andy Reid's prize or have you forgotten?

You mean the 4-3 (previously 3-3) New England Patriots. Good point, Phits. The Patriots are just blowing our record out of the water.

what say we have a friendly wager to see who finishes ahead in the standings...and who goes further in the post season. I have the 3 time dynasty SB winning HC and you can have the 4 time NFCCG losing coach.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 25 2012, 05:58 PM) *
They are both average QB's who have HC's that know how to utilize the run game to help out their QB.

Smith is completing 66% of his passes. He's proven to be a good decision maker and can make throws when necessary. And...we beat Flacco. Beat. Flacco. In a game of football.

Kolb was Andy Reid's prize or have you forgotten?

And he turned out to be not as good as hoped. That often happens, even with guys drafted much higher than Kolb. The fact that we have remained competitive despite not having a successful QB draft pick since 1999 is a testament to Reid's abilities. When most teams miss on a QB, it devastates the franchise for years.
what say we have a friendly wager to see who finishes ahead in the standings...and who goes further in the post season. I have the 3 time dynasty SB winning HC and you can have the 4 time NFCCG losing coach.

Let's do this. We can have a friendly wager on what tastes better. An apple or an orange...then a horse can tell us which wins. That is the general equivalent of the wager you proposed.
Or we can bet who will win more games this year as a head coach. Andy Reid or Raheem Morris. That up and comer you said we could easily find to replace Reid.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 25 2012, 07:27 PM) *
Smith is completing 66% of his passes. He's proven to be a good decision maker and can make throws when necessary. And...we beat Flacco. Beat. Flacco. In a game of football.

He's proven that the Harbaugh gene has coaching embedded in it. I know you are surprised as the rest of us that we beat a good AFC team. It happens, not very much for us, but it happens.

And he turned out to be not as good as hoped. That often happens, even with guys drafted much higher than Kolb. The fact that we have remained competitive despite not having a successful QB draft pick since 1999 is a testament to Reid's abilities. When most teams miss on a QB, it devastates the franchise for years.

hahahaha...

Let's do this. We can have a friendly wager on what tastes better. An apple or an orange...then a horse can tell us which wins. That is the general equivalent of the wager you proposed.

I thought you would come up with some BS. That's OK. You have your opinion and I have mine. Reid used to be a good coach, now he is merely average. As for apples and oranges, you're right....Belicheat is a 3 x SB winner, and Reid isn't. Reid the guy you are afraid to replace because it may be difficult to find an average coach to replace him.

Or we can bet who will win more games this year as a head coach. Andy Reid or Raheem Morris. That up and comer you said we could easily find to replace Reid.

they both have the same amount of championships, so it's 6 one way half a dozen the other. simply put i care about a championship, you apparently don't.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.