Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quotes from anonymous sources
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
Regarding our Eagles.

(Eagles defensive coordinator) Todd Bowles has an opportunity to turn (the defense) around. The problem with Juan Castillo was that he wanted to coach everybody, and he was not qualified to coach anyone. Just because you coach offensive line does not mean you know how to coach defense. It was only a matter of time before it was going to blow up. The owner (Jeffrey Lurie) was never on board with (the hire). It was the right move and overdue.

and this one...

The front-office situation in Philadelphia is not a good one. Scouts are not allowed to talk to coaches during training camp. Youíre talking about some scouts who have known the coaches for years. Coaches coach, scouts scout and thatís the way it is. Itís not a happy environment. Itís a divisive, paranoid place, and itís hard to grow and jell as a team in that type of setting. Thatís the result of hiring a very insecure GM who does not know football.

We need a new GM, fellas.

Linkity
GQSmooth
Need more than that to justify arguing we need a new GM. Howie is the most secure guy at Nova Care. That being said I wish he did have a football guy in the front office thats not just a consultant. Sounds like some BS leaked from one of the consultants like Donahoe.
HOUSEoPAIN
Jeff Lurie officially knows more about football than Reid. Great.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 22 2012, 11:39 AM) *
Jeff Lurie officially knows more about football than Reid. Great.

I still don't think anyone ever really wanted Juan to be DC. I think Andy wanted to bring in Washburn and the wide-9. If you recall, he did that before a DC was named. At that point, I don't think any viable DC candidates wanted the gig, thus being forced to work behind Washburn's line.

Castillo got the job by default.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Oct 22 2012, 11:29 AM) *
Need more than that to justify arguing we need a new GM. Howie is the most secure guy at Nova Care. That being said I wish he did have a football guy in the front office thats not just a consultant. Sounds like some BS leaked from one of the consultants like Donahoe.

Secure how? Howie has no football experience. The guy was a money guy and shouldn't be making football decisions.

I can justify it by our inability to thrive in the draft.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 22 2012, 04:19 PM) *
I can justify it by our inability to thrive in the draft.

this was also the case before howie got here
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 22 2012, 04:04 PM) *
this was also the case before howie got here

I agree. We haven't had a real football person in that role for too long.
TGryn
Sounds like Howie's made some enemies among the former scouts who left with Heckert and Grigson... huh.gif
Mr. Bonko
Irrelevant. Until AR is gone, nothing else matters.
mcnabbulous
Having a strong GM in place would probably be the most important thing if Andy were to be dismissed. What makes anyone confident that Howie could hire a capable coach?
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 24 2012, 11:22 AM) *
Having a strong GM in place would probably be the most important thing if Andy were to be dismissed. What makes anyone confident that Howie could hire a capable coach?

A "capable coach" is a relative term. We have had this current boob in place for years and some of you still feel like he is capable.

However, I do agree that a strong GM is important. The question is whether AR makes Howie look bad or the other way around. Despite our coaches inability to get our team on the same page, it is a talented bunch and we should be better. The team is among one of the youngest in the league and Howie has shown a propensity to dip into free agency should the need arise. The area I would really like the team (GM) to take a look at is the scouting staff.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 24 2012, 11:02 AM) *
A "capable coach" is a relative term. We have had this current boob in place for years and some of you still feel like he is capable.

Yeah, Andy Reid isn't a capable coach. While your opinions have little credibility to begin with, you do yourself no help with comments like this.

Andy Reid is, at minimum, a very good coach. If he had a QB that wasn't striving to break turnover records, our team's record would be better than what we currently see.

However, I do agree that a strong GM is important. The question is whether AR makes Howie look bad or the other way around. Despite our coaches inability to get our team on the same page, it is a talented bunch and we should be better. The team is among one of the youngest in the league and Howie has shown a propensity to dip into free agency should the need arise. The area I would really like the team (GM) to take a look at is the scouting staff.

We have talent, but so does every other team in the league. The league itself is designed to maximize competition. We lack depth in some crucial areas, which is where good GM's separate themselves.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 24 2012, 03:46 PM) *
Yeah, Andy Reid isn't a capable coach.

Good! At least your words are in writing and it's been documented.

For the umpteenth time, Andy Reid used to be a very good coach. There I said it again. Ironically, he was at his best when the defense was carrying the team. It hid his flaws. Since our last SB appearance Andy Reid has been an average coach to slightly above average. Since JJ's death (65-58-1 since our 'last' SB appearance)

If he had a QB that wasn't striving to break turnover records, our team's record would be better than what we currently see.

Perhaps the record would be better, but then again...maybe it wouldn't be. After all the defense couldn't hold a lead in the late stages of games. We are what our record says we are 3-3 which is about average. Since Reid (allegedly) isn't responsible for the offensive play calling and the defense already is rid of their scapegoat, we shall see if his post bye record will improve. I'm rooting for him, because I didn't expect the regular season to be as shitty as it has been. He usually waits until the post season to be this pathetic.

We have talent, but so does every other team in the league. The league itself is designed to maximize competition. We lack depth in some crucial areas, which is where good GM's separate themselves.

Good coaches do that too.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 24 2012, 03:38 PM) *
Good! At least your words are in writing and it's been documented.

For the umpteenth time, Andy Reid used to be a very good coach. There I said it again. Ironically, he was at his best when the defense was carrying the team. It hid his flaws. Since our last SB appearance Andy Reid has been an average coach to slightly above average. Since JJ's death (65-58-1 since our 'last' SB appearance)

Since JJ's death, we have the best record in the NFC East, 4th best in the NFC, and 8th best in football.

Perhaps the record would be better, but then again...maybe it wouldn't be. After all the defense couldn't hold a lead in the late stages of games. We are what our record says we are 3-3 which is about average. Since Reid (allegedly) isn't responsible for the offensive play calling and the defense already is rid of their scapegoat, we shall see if his post bye record will improve. I'm rooting for him, because I didn't expect the regular season to be as shitty as it has been. He usually waits until the post season to be this pathetic.

Yes, we're 3-3. Much like the majority of the league (21 other teams are either 3-3 or worse. That doesn't include the 2 teams that were 3-3 prior to winning last week.) We are historically better after the bye. We made what, on paper, appears to be an upgrade at DC. The players are enthusiastic about it. Vick can't play much worse than he did in the first 6 games.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 24 2012, 05:08 PM) *
Since JJ's death, we have

a 3-12 record against teams that made the playoffs, including in the playoffs. 3 wins, 12 losses. This includes an abolutely disgraceful humiliation in consecutive weeks by the hated Cowboys (thanks to Mr. Predictable). This includes Eli adding another ring to his fingers.

When will you and the rest of the Reid apologist brigade stop denying reality on planet earth?!?!? 3. and 12. THAT'S what matters. Not beating the Redskins twice a year and watching Eli in the fucking Super Bowl.

With JJ's defensive genius, he could hide Andy's coaching flaws, our defense would keep us in it - now, the emperor has no clothes - we just can't beat good teams with any consistency.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 24 2012, 05:00 PM) *
a 3-12 record against teams that made the playoffs, including in the playoffs. 3 wins, 12 losses. This includes an abolutely disgraceful humiliation in consecutive weeks by the hated Cowboys (thanks to Mr. Predictable). This includes Eli adding another ring to his fingers.

When will you and the rest of the Reid apologist brigade stop denying reality on planet earth?!?!? 3. and 12. THAT'S what matters. Not beating the Redskins twice a year and watching Eli in the fucking Super Bowl.

With JJ's defensive genius, he could hide Andy's coaching flaws, our defense would keep us in it - now, the emperor has no clothes - we just can't beat good teams with any consistency.

6-1 against the Giants since JJ died.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 24 2012, 06:12 PM) *

how's our post season record? .... I'll help you we are 0-2
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 24 2012, 05:22 PM) *
how's our post season record? .... I'll help you we are 0-2

I am not saying we should be stoked about the way things have gone. Just that they aren't as bad as you're implying. Our first loss was with a washed up McNabb and the other was a close loss to a great GB team.
The fact that we've made two playoff appearances since the loss of JJ is proof that Andy is more than capable beyond him. You have been so blinded by our success over the past 12 years you fail to acknowledge the difficulty in simply making the playoffs.
2009 Tony Romo was better than 2009 Donovan McNabb and 2010 Aaron Rodgers was better than 2010 Michael Vick. Funny how that works.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 24 2012, 06:31 PM) *
I am not saying we should be stoked about the way things have gone. Just that they aren't as bad as you're implying. Our first loss was with a washed up McNabb and the other was a close loss to a great GB team.

you forgot to mention that both losses were to coaches that outclassed our own.

The fact that we've made two playoff appearances since the loss of JJ is proof that Andy is more than capable beyond him. You have been so blinded by our success over the past 12 years you fail to acknowledge the difficulty in simply making the playoffs.

Perhaps I should lower my expectations like you have? That way making the post season is enough and Coach Reid is the perfect guy for the job. Very good regular season coach...shitty post season coach.

2009 Tony Romo was better than 2009 Donovan McNabb and 2010 Aaron Rodgers was better than 2010 Michael Vick. Funny how that works.

should i take that to mean if we have the best players we would win more post season games? I would argue that in both instances Mike McCarthy and Wade Phillips were also the better coaches. Funny how that works.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 24 2012, 05:54 PM) *
you forgot to mention that both losses were to coaches that outclassed our own.

No I didn't forget to mention that.

Perhaps I should lower my expectations like you have? That way making the post season is enough and Coach Reid is the perfect guy for the job. Very good regular season coach...shitty post season coach.

I don't have low expectations. I have realistic expectations. His winning post season record indicates he is better than you give him credit for.

should i take that to mean if we have the best players we would win more post season games? I would argue that in both instances Mike McCarthy and Wade Phillips were also the better coaches. Funny how that works.

Yes, Wade Phillips is a better coach than Andy and Donovan should still be in the league. You know your stuff.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 24 2012, 07:07 PM) *
I don't have low expectations. I have realistic expectations. His winning post season record indicates he is better than you give him credit for.

Was better than he is now. Now he's lost his team and has reduced himself to using DC's as scapegoats. McDermott and Castillo gone for defensive ineptitude....but Marty is still here. Go figure.

Yes, Wade Phillips is a better coach than Andy and Donovan should still be in the league. You know your stuff.
McNabb should still be in the league? Go figure. I never expected you to take that opinion. As for Phillips, he out duelled our Walrus in back to back games, so yes he was the better coach. Perhaps if our coach wasn't living off the past we would have taken one of those 2 games. Instead he found another scapegoat and coached a predictable game.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 24 2012, 07:19 PM) *
As for Phillips, he out duelled our Walrus in back to back games, so yes he was the better coach. Perhaps if our coach wasn't living off the past we would have taken one of those 2 games. Instead he found another scapegoat and coached a predictable game.

As the saying goes, Wade Philips may not be ever offered to coach a team again - but he's one hell of a DC. Show him a predictable offense, in back-to-back weeks, and he'll destroy you.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 24 2012, 06:12 PM) *

This is precisely the back-and-forth that is so frustrating here. We are 3-12 against playoff contenders in the last few years since JJ's death. That does not equate to 'contending.'

I love beating the Giants as much as anyone, which is why it's so goddam frustrating watching Eli rack up the rings. That's why some here are so adamant about getting rid of the Walrus. I'd rather have the Giants beat us twice a year as long as we're in the Super Bowl winning one.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 24 2012, 07:38 PM) *
This is precisely the back-and-forth that is so frustrating here. We are 3-12 against playoff contenders in the last few years since JJ's death. That does not equate to 'contending.'

I love beating the Giants as much as anyone, which is why it's so goddam frustrating watching Eli rack up the rings. That's why some here are so adamant about getting rid of the Walrus. I'd rather have the Giants beat us twice a year as long as we're in the Super Bowl winning one.

We are 3-12 against playoff teams because we haven't been particularly good, specifically at the QB position. We get above average QB play. Our record is consistent with that. We beat teams we should beat and lose to better teams. It's not rocket science.

If you expect us to consistently beat the Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady's of the world with subpar QB play, you're mistaking yourself.

With that said, we have made the playoffs 2 of 3 years since JJ passed. Making the playoffs isn't easy in this league. Ask Lions fans who were riding high last year and are now in the basement.

This season, 2 of our 3 wins have been against 2 of last years final 4.

We now have a chance to self scout and improve this season. There is more reason to expect good things moving forward than the opposite this season. If we make the playoffs, anything can happen.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 24 2012, 08:59 PM) *
With that said, we have made the playoffs 2 of 3 years since JJ passed. Making the playoffs isn't easy in this league. Ask Lions fans who were riding high last year and are now in the basement.

Using the Lions as a comparative point is a new low.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 24 2012, 08:13 PM) *
Using the Lions as a comparative point is a new low.

We've been the Lions before. Don't think it can't easily happen again. Like if, for instance, we hire head coaches like Raheem Morris.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.