Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When Are The Eagles Always At Their Best ?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Bocadelphia Eagles John
Just before pre-season.

Our Front Office seems to be able to hype up just how good the upcoming season is going to be. Their hype stirs up the anticipation. The hype machine is well oiled and does a great job of getting the fans' juices flowing.

It's typical Hollywood. Something Lurie knows a little about. It seems he knows a heck of a lot more about that then he does about football. It's the movie poster system of announcing the best film of the year. Many film previews spout such a ranking, the best of the year.

And just as so many films fail to live up to the hype, so too do the Eagles.

The odd thing though is that we've led the parade in disappointments for years. Long before Lurie and Reid, and longer than I care to have to admit.

It's just that Lurie has been putting the Hollywood spin on things.

Being a fan of the Eagles is a miserable existence. The experience must surely count towards a lot of points for entry into heaven once the days of being a fan finally end. I wonder if God is an Eagles hater ?
mcnabbulous
This doesn't just come from the Eagles. The national media typically hypes this team up on a yearly basis.

So why do they do that? I think it's because we have talent, but also because Reid is highly respected nationally.

Everyone around here says that we always underachieve, but I'm just not sure what it's based on. If you think Vick is shit, which most people tend to believe, then why should we be expected to compete for a championship?

Rick
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 18 2012, 02:02 PM) *
Everyone around here says that we always underachieve, but I'm just not sure what it's based on. If you think Vick is shit, which most people tend to believe, then why should we be expected to compete for a championship?

I've often said Vick will never win a SB and that we shouldn't have him playing. This is one of the many decisions I've scratched my head about that Reid has made--picking up Vick to begin with and sticking with him regardless of how many times he turns the ball over...
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Rick @ Oct 18 2012, 01:34 PM) *
I've often said Vick will never win a SB and that we shouldn't have him playing. This is one of the many decisions I've scratched my head about that Reid has made--picking up Vick to begin with and sticking with him regardless of how many times he turns the ball over...

We don't really have a viable option otherwise right now. And no, Foles isn't an option this season. But we did draft a guy who looks like he'll get a shot to be the guy of the future.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 18 2012, 03:02 PM) *
We don't really have a viable option otherwise right now. And no, Foles isn't an option this season. But we did draft a guy who looks like he'll get a shot to be the guy of the future.

unless of course the new regime isn't interested in the guy who 'looks' like he should ,get a shot at the spot if/when it is available.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 18 2012, 02:02 PM) *
This doesn't just come from the Eagles. The national media typically hypes this team up on a yearly basis.

I completely disagree. The front office DOES set a tone of expectation of great things for the Eagles. It's NOT the national media.

In fact, in most of the pre-season predictions I've heard, rarely did the Eagles feature as a team that would PLAY for the ring. I've often heard it stated they would contend.

LurBan have helped to hype the immediate future.

I don't know how anyone could possibly claim otherwise.
GQSmooth
Its arrogance of the coaching staff and front office. They're smarter and want to trick everyone else. Rather than lining up and grinding to get what they can in a 5 minute drive, they shoot for the 20 second big play that makes sportscenter. Rather than draft the quality raw physical specimen sitting there like JPP, they draft the old, fast injured smart guys and sprinkle in some speed at key positions. When its time to man up, grab your balls and out physical the opponent they do some some prissy assed west coast trickery.
Zero
QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Oct 18 2012, 04:18 PM) *
Its arrogance of the coaching staff and front office. They're smarter and want to trick everyone else. Rather than lining up and grinding to get what they can in a 5 minute drive, they shoot for the 20 second big play that makes sportscenter. Rather than draft the quality raw physical specimen sitting there like JPP, they draft the old, fast injured smart guys and sprinkle in some speed at key positions. When its time to man up, grab your balls and out physical the opponent they do some some prissy assed west coast trickery.

I pretty much agree with this, even though "arrgance" may be the wrong word.

Vick has his limitations, everyone knows that. While in Atlanta most people here recognized him as a great athlete who just lacked QB instincts. Reid and Marty have done a credible job of teaching MV to be a reasonable QB with some very special skills.

Much of the problem we've been seeing, IMO starts with an injury depleted OL and is exasperated by a flawed QB. With the questionable protection the OL provides it doesn't make sense to continually call passing plays with long QB drops and minimize the running game. A shorter QB without the instincts of someone like Brady, Manning or Brees isn't well suited to operate under continued extreme duress.

Reid is too attached to a "system." It's been mentioned many times by people far more knowlegable than I am, this team makes players fit to a system rather than adjusting the system to the players talents. Believe in the system, play within the system and there will be glory. It isn't working.

Andy's biggest weakness is that he doesn't adjust well. Not with personnel and not during games. Believing in a system is fine, but I think one needs to be able to be flexible when situations change. Because other teams are talented and their coaches are smart, they will adjust to what good teams do. When that happens a counter move is required whether that's in the off season in acquiring different personnel or during a game when your plan just isn't working. JMO.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.