Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick Running Tally
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
HOUSEoPAIN
Just to get a quick head count, I know some people have changed their mind recently.....

-Who's in favor of firing Reid immediately?

-Who's in favor of firing him after the season?

-Who isn't in favor of firing him?
Phits
The sooner we get rid of him he better.

*side note* You should try using the poll option for these kind of posts.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 17 2012, 03:20 PM) *
The sooner we get rid of him he better.

*side note* You should try using the poll option. For these kind of posts.

Agreed regarding the poll option. I'd also add another option to reevaluate after the season. I'm not in favor of firing him now, but may change my mind depending on how things play out.
Rick
He should go now.
downundermike
Yesterday, after last season, 3 years ago......
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (downundermike @ Oct 17 2012, 04:10 PM) *
Yesterday, after last season, 3 years ago......

As a newbie, can I ask where you resentment towards Reid comes from? I assume it's the same stuff as most, but just looking for some context.
make_it_rain
End of the season, although I think the time to can him/have him step down was at the end of last season.

I'm not being a "Reid Apologist" (I know that's a bad word on these boards) but I just don't think it makes any sense to fire him (or most HCs for that matter) midseason, at 3-3, then bring in some rando interim guy for 10 games and then decide who to hire after the season. Firing him now would be more about making a statement regarding Luries willingness to "shake things up", rather than improving our playoff chances.

Pbfan
I'd say end Of season or a few games before it so a new coach could get a little team experience before the start of next season
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Oct 17 2012, 05:30 PM) *
End of the season, although I think the time to can him/have him step down was at the end of last season.

I'm not being a "Reid Apologist" (I know that's a bad word on these boards) but I just don't think it makes any sense to fire him (or most HCs for that matter) midseason, at 3-3, then bring in some rando interim guy for 10 games and then decide who to hire after the season. Firing him now would be more about making a statement regarding Luries willingness to "shake things up", rather than improving our playoff chances.

I'm just getting everyone's opinion, there's nothing at all wrong with letting him finish the year, it's obviously going to happen anyway. Personally, I feel we can contend with a different approach and someone else at the helm, but if we can't bring in a proven HC right away it wouldn't make sense - unless of course, Lurie is thinking about Bowles as a candidate.
CT_Eagle
Since I cannot say 3 years ago I will go with end of season. There is nothing to be gained by firing him now.
downundermike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 17 2012, 02:18 PM) *
As a newbie, can I ask where you resentment towards Reid comes from? I assume it's the same stuff as most, but just looking for some context.

His I am smarter than you approach kills me. Something works, he stops doing it, something doesnt work, he continues to do it.

Coaching isnt brain surgery, but this moron continues to make something so easy so freaking hard.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (downundermike @ Oct 17 2012, 05:02 PM) *
His I am smarter than you approach kills me. Something works, he stops doing it, something doesnt work, he continues to do it.

Coaching isnt brain surgery, but this moron continues to make something so easy so freaking hard.

Coaching at the NFL level is something that 32 men in the world are currently doing. The very best college coach (Saban) proved that he didn't have the chops to succeed. Spurrier is another example of that.

Reid is also one of the winningest coaches in NFL history.

While he's far from perfect, I think your description of his capabilities is greatly exaggerated.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 17 2012, 06:08 PM) *
Reid is also one of the winningest coaches in NFL history.

so is Lovie Smith, MIke Martz, Wade Phillips, Jon Gruden, Dennis Green and Marty Schottenheimer,.... what's your point?
Bocadelphia Eagles John
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 17 2012, 05:18 PM) *

Coach Reid said it himself in his latest press conference. Mediocrity is not good enough. And the team under him has arrived at a state of stale mediocrity.

Our Offense is predictable and shaky. Our D looks tired despite the depth and schemes and free agent signings. Special Teams are nothing to brag about in fact, sometimes I like to hang my head in shame over their schizophrenic standards.

Coach Reid has reached his plateau. He's had enough chances to bring us the trophy and he has failed. There is no longer a need to keep doing what has turned out to be a good record but little REAL achievement.

Problem is, we won't be able to bring in any miracle worker at this point in our history. We'll have to run out the season and then bring his replacement asap.

HobbEs
Reid the Head Coach needs to go. Reid the Vice President of Football Operations should stay. It might be the best all around scenario if Lurie keeps him on in a front office capacity. Meanwhile we can get a coach who knows what he's doing on game day.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 17 2012, 06:08 PM) *
While he's far from perfect, I think your description of his capabilities is greatly exaggerated.

Sorry, but it's not about capabilities. It's about results. And a winning record is not the result by which head coaches are judged. There's one bar. And as each season passes Reid steps further away from it.

I feel for the man. His problems at home are enough for anyone to have to deal with. But unfortunately his job requires a certain level of achievement and he's not cutting it.

If Lurie's public words can be trusted, he too wants the ring.

A few seasons ago I pondered on this very site whether the Texans might beat us to a SB ring.
Little did I know how prepared the 2 teams might look in that quest.

Giant's took it last year. Wasn't that enough for you to want to see a change ? It sure as heck was for me. But the icing on the cake was the placing of Juan in charge of the D. That single move was a blow.

Nah .... Reid has nothing left in the tank.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 17 2012, 04:18 PM) *
Just to get a quick head count, I know some people have changed their mind recently.....

Reid's got to go. There is no question of that.

But the timing is wrong right now unless the consultants find some gem who might be a perfect fit to jump in mid-season, but that's highly doubtful. And if our next HC is a Vermeil clone, coming from the college ranks, I can't see any candidate willing to jump ship into NFL reanks mid season either.

We're stuck for a while. I only hope we start camp next year with a new regime.

Lurie's gonna have to grow the balls to roll the dice and let Andy go. He's hung in there with the man long enough. No one can accuse Lurie of having a short fuse or noose around Andy's neck.

And it's not a business decision either. Biz is great, sold out games, loads of Eagle fans at all of the away games, biz is booming. It's a call about competition. And I only hope Lurie has the competetive spirit to want to blow this thing up and put it back together again.
downundermike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 17 2012, 03:08 PM) *

I hate to simplify it, but thats what I see.

Shady is ripping off runs, he goes pass, pass, pass, punt.

Vick turns the ball over, Reid lets him dominate the ball.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 17 2012, 05:32 PM) *
so is Lovie Smith, MIke Martz, Wade Phillips, Jon Gruden, Dennis Green and Marty Schottenheimer,.... what's your point?

I'm not sure what your point is. Other than the fact that besides Schottenheimer (who was a very good coach) the only other coach who can sniff Reid's wins is Dennis Green. He was a long tenured and successful coach for an organization culminating in a 5-11 campaign.

Let me be clear. If the Eagles go 5-11 this year, I think Reid should be fired.

Reid has never had a 2 year run of less than .500 ball.

My point is that he's a very good coach in a highly competitive industry. Whereas he was made out to be a buffoon by the OP.
Keenan24
I think firing mid season is always a bad call..... But i get it now.
You're so frustrated and ready for a change you just want something
fresh happening.... Im so tired of what ive been seeing that he can go
anytime now as far as im concerned. Im ready for changes all across
the board so we can actually talk about the teams direction and not
all know already before every snap. :s
So frustrated with this fucking team right now
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Bocadelphia Eagles John @ Oct 17 2012, 05:45 PM) *
Our Offense is predictable and shaky.

The opportunities are there, but guys aren't executing. That is evident in the all-22 stuff I posted in the other thread. If Celek catches that ball, we win. If Vick doesn't completely shit the bed on that deep ball, we win.

While I don't disagree that we've been mediocre (as our 3-3 record) indicates, I really don't think it's a scheme issue.

We're always better after the bye. If this year follows that trend, we should finish the season strong and make the post-season. If not, I can't argue with making a change. With that said, I think it's more a QB problem than a coach problem.
Keenan24
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 17 2012, 06:28 PM) *
The opportunities are there, but guys aren't executing. That is evident in the all-22 stuff I posted in the other thread. If Celek catches that ball, we win. If Vick doesn't completely shit the bed on that deep ball, we win.

While I don't disagree that we've been mediocre (as our 3-3 record) indicates, I really don't think it's a scheme issue.

We're always better after the bye. If this year follows that trend, we should finish the season strong and make the post-season. If not, I can't argue with making a change. With that said, I think it's more a QB problem than a coach problem.

Do we win the game? Or is just another opportunity for the D to not close it out again?
:s That's how bad it is for me now.... I have no faith that they can get it done.
Makes me bummed that i feel that way now sad.gif
Phits
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Oct 17 2012, 06:47 PM) *
Reid the Head Coach needs to go. Reid the Vice President of Football Operations should stay. It might be the best all around scenario if Lurie keeps him on in a front office capacity. Meanwhile we can get a coach who knows what he's doing on game day.

what makes you think that he is a good vice president of football operations?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 17 2012, 07:28 PM) *
We're always better after the bye

On a side note, I was seriously considering betting heavy on the Eagles against the Falcons, they're dogs and I'll get good odds - while Reid's obvious bonehead mistakes show up every year, so does his good points, in this case being undefeated after the bye. But this year it's against the best team in the NFL right now. Hmm decisions.....
Rick
I keep hearing how there's nothing to be gained by firing him mid-season. What bad things could happen? I mean, this team, as I said elsewhere here, is a train wreck. Reid seems to not have a clue as to what he should (and shouldn't) be doing. We have 10 games left. Who's to say the team is actually behind Reid at this point? What if they fire Reid and the team rallys behind the new coach and we finish strong, make the playoffs and make a run there? Not like this hasn't happened in other sports. It doesn't normally happen in the NFL because there's this unwritten rule that you don't fire coaches in the middle of the season. It's a stupid rule which makes no sense. He didn't get it done last year, he's not getting done this year and he's been shaky for the last few years. Sure, he's got a great winning record but that means NOTHING if he can't get it together when it really counts. He has a long history of crapping the bead in the big game (as we all know). Since he did it over many seasons with different personnel we have to look at him.

I'm sorry, there's just no good reason to keep him around at this point. I think, unless they were to win the SB this season he's gone anyway (regardless of how deep they go into the playoffs). It's time for a new approach, he's done a lot of good for the team but it's time for him to leave. I'm sure he'll coach for another team in the NFL, I hold no ill will towards him even if I'm frustrated with his approach to the game.
mcnabbulous
Do you know we were 3-3 in 2000, 2001, 2003, and 2008?

In three of those seasons, we went to the NFCCG. In the other, we won a playoff game before being eliminated.
Mr. Bonko

Hospice.
GQSmooth

Fire after season unless within 3 points of winning SB.
GQSmooth
Fire after season unless he gets team within 3 points of SB victory
Rick
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 17 2012, 09:46 PM) *
Do you know we were 3-3 in 2000, 2001, 2003, and 2008?

In three of those seasons, we went to the NFCCG. In the other, we won a playoff game before being eliminated.

I'm well aware of that. However, I can't remember the team being this bad for so long under Reid. They weren't good last season and they aren't any better (maybe even worse) this season.

The record is nice (compared to what it could/should be at this point) however, it's just not relevant to what I'm saying.

He is not getting it done. He continues to make the same mistakes in not getting it done. Sorry, time to go.

Could they turn it around under Reid? Well, anything can happen, however, I don't think most people (myself included) believe it's likely. Do you think Reid is going to wake up and, all of a sudden, start utilizing his tools better? He's been with us for a LOT of years and he hasn't changed yet.
JeeQ
I know this may sound callous but it's honestly how I feel. I was solely in the fire immediately camp many seasons ago. But given this is his final season on contract and his son's death I say we give him to the end of the season. Lurie was too nice though, better then 8-8 is setting the bar way too low. It's playing in the Super Bowl or bust.

Also to answer another post, Reid is never going to change. It's like trying to change Vick into a Pocket Passer or make him stop trying to do too much and be a turnover machine. It's never going to happen. You can't teach an old dog new tricks. Andy is set in his ways and thinking he'll change after a decade of consistency is downright silly. But with that said, Andy has all the tools to win a Super Bowl with this current roster. Whether he chooses to and saves his job is up to him.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Oct 18 2012, 08:13 AM) *
You can't teach an old dog new tricks. Andy is set in his ways and thinking he'll change after a decade of consistency is downright silly

Macnow and Gargano interviewed him on his offensive scheme, they compared it to actually converting someone's religion. No matter how much demonstrable success we have when running the offense around Shady, he is just never going to do it, it's no different than getting him to not be a Mormon.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 18 2012, 10:30 AM) *
Macnow and Gargano interviewed him on his offensive scheme, they compared it to actually converting someone's religion. No matter how much demonstrable success we have when running the offense around Shady, he is just never going to do it, it's no different than getting him to not be a Mormon.

Do you think averaging less than 2 yards per carry is demonstrable success? While I agree that there are times when McCoy is underutilized while being successful, Detroit was stacking the box on Sunday.

Sunday's loss wasn't a product of us not running the ball. It was a product of Vick not capitalizing through the air and our defense changing their successful scheme in the 4th quarter.
Eyrie
Fire him after the season*.

Why not now? Morningweg would replace him.

*Unless we win our next thirteen games. Gives him a fair chance to keep his job biggrin.gif
Dr. Claw
After the season, if it happens.

No way that it happens now. I don't want a rest of the season coached by Marty.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.