Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Asante To Reid: "Sometimes You Have To Blame Yourself. You Can't Always Point The Finger At Someone Else"
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
JeeQ
Eagles coach Andy Reid hinted on Tuesday that firing defensive coordinator Juan Castillo wasnt the last move hell make during the teams bye week.

Im going through and evaluating our football team, both coaches and players, Reid said. This is one of the moves, and well see where this goes from here.

What will the next move be? Reid didnt say. But Reid did say that he deserves as much blame as Castillo for the problems the teams defense has faced in the season and a half since Reid made the surprising decision to move Castillo from the offensive side of the ball to defensive coordinator.

I put Juan in this situation and things didnt worked out as Id hoped, Reid said. I take full responsibility for putting him in that situation.

Reid acknowledged that the Eagles defensive game plans have been far from the only problem during their 3-3 start.

Offense, defense and special teams right now, we need to get better, and Im going to continue to work to that and its my responsibility to do that, Reid said. And Im just bringing this to you because this is whats happened so far. Im not going to tell you anything thats going to happen past this, anything that will happen, Im not telling you that, but this is what has happened so far.

Reid said that he likes and respects Castillo and considered firing him one of the tougher things Ive had to do. And Reid made clear that hes looking in the mirror, too.

I can obviously do better, Reid said. I think collectively we can all do better but I can do better myself.

If Reids moves dont turn the Eagles around soon, Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie may be ready to make a move of his own, and fire the man who hired Castillo.
HOUSEoPAIN
Honestly was this guy a fucking politician in a past life?

"The buck stops here - which is why I'm firing Juan. I take full responsibility."

laugh.gif
md717
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 16 2012, 02:05 PM) *

"The buck stops here - which is why I'm firing Juan. I take full responsibility."

laugh.gif
He should have given the interview from Peru.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 16 2012, 02:05 PM) *

laugh.gif

so what was he supposed to do? just fire himself? that is pretty bright......he takes responsibility and admits he made a mistake and now has moved to fix it. You have to realize that the Bowles hire was done with this in mind. I am not sure what folks like you expect....he does nothing and he would get killed, he moves to fix things and he gets killed....all with having no clue about what is going on behind closed doors.......it is rather amusing to read.......he already knows that this may be his last season here and only franchises that are seriously fucked up fire a coach in season......if nothing else his history here earns him the full season......
koolaidluke
I don't know if Juan deserved to be fired, but the 4th Q D he called cost us the last game. He gave that game to the Lions by pulling Aso off of Johnson.
Phits
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Oct 18 2012, 08:57 AM) *
I don't know if Juan deserved to be fired, but the 4th Q D he called cost us the last game. He gave that game to the Lions by pulling Aso off of Johnson.

If they are firing people over a few games, Reid should have been gone long ago. This stinks of desperation.
koolaidluke
I'm not defending the move, I'm just saying that Juan made a retarded decision that cost us that game.

Reid/Marty cost us the AZ game with a shitty game plan, that is worse than a retarded 4th quarter adjustment. My aim is not to absolve Reid but to point out that if ever a person deserved to be fired based on one quarter, it was Juan.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 18 2012, 03:18 PM) *
If they are firing people over a few games, Reid should have been gone long ago. This stinks of desperation.

I think they have looked at all of the games since Jaun's promotion. They have blown 7 fourth quarter leads in 22 games. Add to that the complete lack of sacks by the D line in the last three games and there is cause for concern. It is a shame really because the D overall has been successful in keeping points off of the board. It is the Ds fourth quarter production that cost Juan in the end. I also do not think Reid coaching for his job this season can be discounted. In years past he would have given Juan some more room to improve.
D Rock
AssAnte sucks nards.
Phits
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Oct 18 2012, 10:48 AM) *
I'm not defending the move, I'm just saying that Juan made a retarded decision that cost us that game.

Reid/Marty cost us the AZ game with a shitty game plan, that is worse than a retarded 4th quarter adjustment. My aim is not to absolve Reid but to point out that if ever a person deserved to be fired based on one quarter, it was Juan.

One can argue that The Marty/Reid connection's failure to put points on the board is more of an indictment than the D's surrender of fourth quarter leads.

We have only produced 14 first half points in the last 4 games. 31 points (total) in the first half this entire season. That works out to be just over 5 ppg (in the 1st half).

That said, if ever a person deserved to be fired for a half, it was The Marty/Reid connection in the Cards game or the Steelers game or the Lions game.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.