Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I feel bad for Juan Castillo
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
D Rock
who seems by ALL accounts to be one hell of a guy.

I'm overcome with the desire to punch Andy in the fucking face right now.
Phits
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 16 2012, 12:21 PM) *

According to our beloved HC
"We're six games into the season and average isn't good enough," Reid said in a statement. "I know the potential of our team and insist on maximizing it."

I have to wonder whether this decision was actually AR or his boss demanding immediate action.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 16 2012, 12:21 PM) *

I agree that there doesn't seem to be anybody with a bad word to say about him, he wasn't good enough as the OL coach. If he was he wouldn't have been faced with a choice between unemployment ( mudd) or a rookie DC job ( which he could have declined)

If AR had simply fired Juan from the OL spot and hired Bowles/mudd it wouldn't have turned out this way. Juan would likely be working on somebody else's OL already
mcnabbulous
Juan will be fine. No one in their right mind would have turned down that opportunity. It didn't work out, but he'll get another job. For fuck's sake, McDermott did.
Dreagon
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 16 2012, 11:45 AM) *
Juan will be fine. No one in their right mind would have turned down that opportunity. It didn't work out, but he'll get another job. For fuck's sake, McDermott did.

With Joe Banner taking over in Cleveland, it will be interesting to see if Castillo turns up there soon. I also wonder if Reid may not be looking that way himself.
koolaidluke
I think that they wanted Bowles from the beginning.

There is no question that Castillo did an incredible job last year, turning one of the league's worst D's into a top 10 defense with mismatched players, dissary at LB and no offseason. This year the D has played pretty well overall but their performance at the end of the Detroit game was an absolute disgrace. And since it came following the last drive against Pitt I can understand why Reid was frustrated.

I think it was a mistake and was unfair scapegoating, unless there is behind the scenes stuff that we don't know about.

Marty unquestionably deserves to either be fired or to lose his play calling responsibilities. I hope that will happen. If Reid is going to get fired this year, he might as well do it calling the plays.
make_it_rain
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Oct 16 2012, 12:38 PM) *
If he was he wouldn't have been faced with a choice between unemployment ( mudd) or a rookie DC job ( which he could have declined)

How is he realistically going to decline an opportunity like DC for the Philadelphia Eagles, which (if he does well) gets him consideration for a possible head coaching gig somewhere in the league?

No way in hell anyone would decline that opportunity, unless they were 100% sure they were going to go down in flames and they didn't want a big pay raise to boot.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Oct 16 2012, 01:22 PM) *
I think that they wanted Bowles from the beginning.

Yes, masterfully they crafted a plan to hire Juan, bring Bowles in and coach DBs, and then fire Juan - leaving Bowles a clear path to the job.

Idiot.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Oct 16 2012, 01:51 PM) *
How is he realistically going to decline an opportunity like DC for the Philadelphia Eagles, which (if he does well) gets him consideration for a possible head coaching gig somewhere in the league?

No way in hell anyone would decline that opportunity, unless they were 100% sure they were going to go down in flames and they didn't want a big pay raise to boot.

No qualifications+no experience=100% chance of failure...

But i digress. Whether he could have declined the offer was an aside from my larger point

Eyrie
It's irrelevant whether Castillo is "one hell of a guy", he needs to be "one hell of a DC".

That said, I too feel sorry for him. Defence is probably the closest thing we have to a functioning unit at the moment, yet Castillo is the guy to get shit-canned when the offensive playcalling exacerbates Vick's weaknesses and STs can't give either offense or defence any field position.

One scapegoat is not enough. I'd ditch Morningweg as well, then give Vick 2-3 games of playcalling to avoid his weaknesses. Give him three step drops, short throws (rarely over 20 yards) and a maximum of two reads. Keep him upright and relatively clean to see what happens whilst letting Vick know that Foles will take his job if the turnovers continue.

I'd also start Foles practicing with the starters to underline the point. I'm still of the opinion that Foles will struggle as badly as Vick behind that OL so I don't want to see the kid destroyed before he even has a chance. By all means give him the last 4-5 games for experience, but don't expect him to lead us to the playoffs.

Then cut Vick as soon as our last game is over and commit to Foles for next season whilst looking for an upgrade over Edwards as the veteran back up.

And fire Reid.
Phits
First this: Fire Reid

Now continue......

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Oct 16 2012, 02:57 PM) *
It's irrelevant whether Castillo is "one hell of a guy", he needs to be "one hell of a DC".

That said, I too feel sorry for him. Defence is probably the closest thing we have to a functioning unit at the moment, yet Castillo is the guy to get shit-canned when the offensive playcalling exacerbates Vick's weaknesses and STs can't give either offense or defence any field position.

One scapegoat is not enough. I'd ditch Morningweg as well, then give Vick 2-3 games of playcalling to avoid his weaknesses. Give him three step drops, short throws (rarely over 20 yards) and a maximum of two reads. Keep him upright and relatively clean to see what happens whilst letting Vick know that Foles will take his job if the turnovers continue.

I'd also start Foles practicing with the starters to underline the point. I'm still of the opinion that Foles will struggle as badly as Vick behind that OL so I don't want to see the kid destroyed before he even has a chance. By all means give him the last 4-5 games for experience, but don't expect him to lead us to the playoffs.

Then cut Vick as soon as our last game is over and commit to Foles for next season whilst looking for an upgrade over Edwards as the veteran back up.

And fire Reid.
make_it_rain
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Oct 16 2012, 02:57 PM) *

And fire Reid.

SLOiggles
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Oct 16 2012, 11:57 AM) *

And fire Reid.

In essence, this is the most logical and realistically practical answer to the conundrum that is the Philadelphia Eagles. My one concern with firing Marty is that the offensive playcalling will not differ much with Reid calling the plays. They are one and the same and that is the rub.

If Reid is going to sink with Vick at the helm, then this offense needs to say to Vick...go play football. Don't slide, don't be a pocket passer, go do what you do. Because honestly, it seems to me as if Vick has regressed as we've tried to make him more of a traditional quarterback and put restraints on his athletic ability. Granted, much of his problem health wise is due to his reckless abandon he plays the game with, but at this point, what would it hurt?

Sadly, as you said...it's a multifaceted problem and firing Juan Castillo is the tip of the iceberg. Whether it's the only move Reid makes will be seen, but I think one way or another even with a trip to the playoffs Reid and Vick are gone.
Pbfan
I feel bad for Juan too. Although after asomougha's comments I couldn't help but feel that there is prolly a sentiment that the tactics are lacking. It did, after all, take Juan a whole year to notice that you should lock aso up on his man and leave him be. In the 4th the eagles seemed to move away from this. Silly mistake, most likely made by Juan. Nevertheless, with the amount of disfunction going on in this team, it seems comical Andy would be holding the DC responsible for the poor play before the offense, Vick, or special teams.

What we need to do is get a new gameplan. One that is practical where McCoy is a big part of the offense both in the runs and screens. We also need to give Vick one more chance, but on his terms. Andy needs to stop trying to turn him into Payton manning and let him play Michael Vick football. If that doesn't work than, hey no hard feelings, we let him go on his way and start over with foles.

This season isn't over yet tough, there's plenty of time to turn it around. Look at the giants last year
HobbEs
Want some more fuel for the fire?

My neighbor is a scout for the Eagles. I asked him about Juan last year and he said he was really D Coordinator in name only. Washburn calls the front seven...Juan called the coverages in the secondary. This no pressure/no sacks thing is really on Washburn.

IMHO we'll do no better with Bowles since he won't have total control. Also IMO, firing Juan is just a distratction to make us look away from the real problem which is Andy Reid.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.