Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Our biggest problem
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
I was going to put this as a response in a different post, but I think it warrants a new topic...

Phits had referenced Reid being a poor talent evaluator, thus putting together our current flawed roster. I absolutely agree with this sentiment, and have been complaining about the talent evaluation for years. Probably longer than anyone.

I'm not sure it's necessarily talent evaluation as it is trying to fit our schemes/system. Rather than drafting the best possible players, we're constantly drafting lesser talent that best fits what our schemes dictate. I mean, who the fuck drafts a 27 year old interior offensive lineman? Instead of lining up with the best players, we have to devise a scheme (i.e. The Wide-9) to manufacture sacks. How's that working out?

I think it's pretty clear that the best management in football belongs to the Giants. I think the Packers are very clearly in the same class. Those are two organizations with clearly defined head coaches and general managers. We're constantly debating who has the power around here. To be honest, I'm still not sure.

If the problem is Reid having too much power, thus ultimate responsibility for the schemes and personnel, then Reid needs to go. I've made it clear that I think he's a great coach. As good as anyone else in football. When our talent was on par with the rest of the league, our performance matched. His shortcomings as a talent evaluator, but requirement to have "final say" have put us in a situation where our talent doesn't match the other top teams in football.
JeeQ
The Giants consistently draft a better player then us, and almost always in an identical position, which has to be the most irritating aspect.

Eagles draft DeSean Jackson, Giants draft Hakeem Nicks
Eagles draft Jeremy Maclin, Giants sign undrafted Victor Cruz
Eagles draft Graham/Te’o-Nesheim, Giants draft JPP
Eagles draft Lindley/Marsh, Giants draft Prince Amukamara
Eagles draft Jaiquawn Jarrett, Giants draft Kenny Phillips

I would compare them further but since the Giants have won 2 of the last 3 Super Bowls I think that says enough
xsv
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Oct 15 2012, 04:30 PM) *
The Giants consistently draft a better player then us, and almost always in an identical position, which has to be the most irritating aspect.

Eagles draft Graham/Teo-Nesheim, Giants draft JPP

I would compare them further but since the Giants have won 2 of the last 3 Super Bowls I think that says enough

Have to agree there. They very consistently draft better than us.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Oct 15 2012, 04:30 PM) *

Eagles draft Graham/Teo-Nesheim, Giants draft JPP

I'm not gonna bitch about drafting Maclin and Jackson, but taking Graham over JPP will haunt us for another 8 years.
TGryn
Generally correct, but a couple of the examples don't fly.

DJax has been to 2 Pro Bowls, Nicks none, despite Nicks being drafted twenty spots earlier. That one doesn't hold up.

Amukamara was a 1st round pick and his rookie season was pretty much a washout. He's in a similar position to where Graham is with us now: may pan out, but early returns aren't good. We've gotten more out of Watkins. Their 2nd round pick, DL Marvin Austin, has also done little because of injuries...but at least he's still on their team, which is more than we can say for Jarrett.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (TGryn @ Oct 15 2012, 05:06 PM) *
DJax has been to 2 Pro Bowls, Nicks none, despite Nicks being drafted twenty spots earlier. That one doesn't hold up.

disagree....Nicks is better than Djax and comes up big in playoff games. ProBowls are meaningless since i would rather have a guy help my team win a superbowl vs making a probowl

AR building the offense around Djax's skillset is often why Vick has to hold the ball so long and why our offense is too much feast or famine

all that said i have no doubt that both front offices would make the same selection given a second chance...uh huh
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Oct 15 2012, 08:04 PM) *
disagree....Nicks is better than Djax and comes up big in playoff games. ProBowls are meaningless since i would rather have a guy help my team win a superbowl vs making a probowl

AR building the offense around Djax's skillset is often why Vick has to hold the ball so long and why our offense is too much feast or famine

all that said i have no doubt that both front offices would make the same selection given a second chance...uh huh

Again, DJax and Maclin are the last things on earth we should be bitching out in terms of Reid's draft picks - we've had some major busts, and some major just flat-out stupid picks.
TGryn
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Oct 15 2012, 05:04 PM) *
Since the actual players are the guys voting on who goes to a Pro Bowl and who doesn't, I think they have a better idea of how guys stack up with one another than we do. A Super Bowl ring isn't some magic potion that instantly transforms a guy into the best at his position (which see: David Tyree).
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Oct 15 2012, 07:04 PM) *

Nicks was drafted after Maclin, not DJax, so the comparison should be there.

With that said, the receivers we have have primarily complemented our QB's who were better at the deep ball than short stuff. Specifically McNabb. It has definitely limited what we can do offensively, given the general inability to dominate on the short stuff/red zone.

I tend to agree with HoP (can you believe it?) that our WR's are the least of our issues. Drafting Brandon Graham and 26 year old guards are the bigger problems.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (TGryn @ Oct 15 2012, 08:27 PM) *
Since the actual players are the guys voting on who goes to a Pro Bowl and who doesn't, I think they have a better idea of how guys stack up with one another than we do. A Super Bowl ring isn't some magic potion that instantly transforms a guy into the best at his position (which see: David Tyree).

neither of these guys are now and i doubt will ever be the 'best' at their position...im speaking more of Nicks' utility on the field vs Djax's game.

other players being enamored with Djax's ability to run past defenses doesnt make him as complete a player as Nicks

BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 15 2012, 08:20 PM) *
Again, DJax and Maclin are the last things on earth we should be bitching out in terms of Reid's draft picks - we've had some major busts, and some major just flat-out stupid picks.

yea i went a little off-topic responding to TG

i forgot it was about the 'biggest problem' which i agree our WRs are not
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.