Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why we lost...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
D Rock
1. Vick missing Desean on that wide open route dwn the deep middle for the INT. Note: on this play was his best protection all day. He had a totally clean pocket. Was able to step up into the throw. Desean was WIIIIIIDE open. He just shit the bed on the throw. Badly.

2. Horrible OPI call on Celek, takes 4 points from us. Simply terrible call. You run that play 100 times and it wont get called unless the offensive player extends his arms. Celek did not.

3. The Human Turnover Machine.

The difference between 3 & 3 vs. 4 & 2 is huge going into a bye.

Bench Vick and use the extra time to get Foles up to speed. He's too fucking inconsistent and unreliable. He was holding the ball again in OT. Those two sacks taken were HUUUUGE. His garbage is over.
JeeQ
We lost because we blew a ten point lead with less then five minutes on the clock
D Rock
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Oct 14 2012, 09:30 PM) *
We lost because we blew a ten point lead with less then five minutes on the clock

You turn the ball over 3 times and you lose 97% of the time.

You wanna blame the D? Fine. Go 'head. But you'd be wrong even considering their largely mediocre performance.
JeeQ
I'm blaming the entire team starting with the coach who sent them out unprepared just like last week. When you can't hold a ten point lead with five minutes left you're not just terrible defense, you're a terrible team. Your offense couldn't get a first down and hold onto the ball for five minutes? Your defense couldn't stop them from scoring twice? All they had to do is play with a shred of pride and heart in the final stretch and they laid down. If I could think of one word to define this team it'd be Undisciplined. The team taking the field every Sunday is not meeting up to their expected talent level.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 14 2012, 05:27 PM) *
1. Vick missing Desean on that wide open route dwn the deep middle for the INT. Note: on this play was his best protection all day. He had a totally clean pocket. Was able to step up into the throw. Desean was WIIIIIIDE open. He just shit the bed on the throw. Badly.

2. Horrible OPI call on Celek, takes 4 points from us. Simply terrible call. You run that play 100 times and it wont get called unless the offensive player extends his arms. Celek did not.

3. The Human Turnover Machine.

The difference between 3 & 3 vs. 4 & 2 is huge going into a bye.

Bench Vick and use the extra time to get Foles up to speed. He's too fucking inconsistent and unreliable. He was holding the ball again in OT. Those two sacks taken were HUUUUGE. His garbage is over.

point one was an issue but in reality, neither INT resulted in points for Detroit, both were followed by punts, neither was in a position that robbed us of points in as much as we were not in FG range or close.

point 3 - see point 1 reply and if you blame the fumble on him you are clueless or didn't watch the play....that was a rookie center smoking crack...Vick did nothing to indicate the ball should be snapped and was actually directing a WR in motion.

The OPI was horrible as was Celek's drop.

This was a coaching loss, no more, no less and if this is what Reid is now I wish him luck in his new endeavor wherever that may be.
HOUSEoPAIN
Last week, we saw a team that knows how to close out a game - close us out. Today, we saw an all-too-typical chance to close out the game result in an embarassing comeback win for the opponent.

Up by 3, over 3 minutes left: we go 3-and-out, with two passes and a run, including a shotgun pass in a hurry-up offense!

3 and out, one minute burned off the clock.

The rest is history.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 14 2012, 10:20 PM) *
Last week, we saw a team that knows how to close out a game - close us out. Today, we saw an all-too-typical chance to close out the game result in an embarassing comeback win for the opponent.

Up by 3, over 3 minutes left: we go 3-and-out, with two passes and a run, including a shotgun pass in a hurry-up offense!

3 and out, one minute burned off the clock.

The rest is history.

not to mention the insane play calling in OT
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 14 2012, 11:09 PM) *

Luckily, I don't remember any of that thanks to beer.....
xsv
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 14 2012, 08:36 PM) *
point one was an issue but in reality, neither INT resulted in points for Detroit, both were followed by punts, neither was in a position that robbed us of points in as much as we were not in FG range or close.

point 3 - see point 1 reply and if you blame the fumble on him you are clueless or didn't watch the play....that was a rookie center smoking crack...Vick did nothing to indicate the ball should be snapped and was actually directing a WR in motion.

The OPI was horrible as was Celek's drop.

This was a coaching loss, no more, no less and if this is what Reid is now I wish him luck in his new endeavor wherever that may be.

There is no excusing the coach, or Vick, or Reynolds, or Celek or the defense. They ALL sucked.

This was a total team failure.
CT_Eagle
This was a total team loss.

The playcalling was horrible in the first half and decent in the second. It was mind blowingly bad in OT.

The defense played a solid 55 minutes of football. Unfortunately they sucked ass when we really needed them to step up. That is two weeks in a row where they have failed to make a stand when the game was on the line.

I am not going to go down the bash Vick road anymore. He cannot take care of the ball and that is all there is to it.

This OL is a huge liability. It must be a priority in the offseason.

There is so much wrong with this team right now that I don't even no where to begin to address it. The short list is new coach, new QB and an upgrade on the OL. Hopefully all of this is addressed before Sept. '13
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 15 2012, 09:02 AM) *
This OL is a huge liability. It must be a priority in the offseason.

There is so much wrong with this team right now that I don't even no where to begin to address it. The short list is new coach, new QB and an upgrade on the OL. Hopefully all of this is addressed before Sept. '13

I'm sure this subject has been addressed before, but hasn't our o-line gotten shittier and shittier since our Super Bowl appearance? I mean, progressively shitter, almost purposefully.

This is another conclusion you have to come to - once the guys Reid inherited started retiring, we haven't been able to replace them, and in fact have severely downgraded - wasn't Winston Justice a top pick one year? Yeah we signed Peters, and got Herremans, but we're talking a lot of picks here. Ugh. And who's been coaching our o-line for 12 years prior to last year? Our defensive genius. rolleyes.gif
xsv
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 15 2012, 09:18 AM) *
I'm sure this subject has been addressed before, but hasn't our o-line gotten shittier and shittier since our Super Bowl appearance? I mean, progressively shitter, almost purposefully.

This is another conclusion you have to come to - once the guys Reid inherited started retiring, we haven't been able to replace them, and in fact have severely downgraded - wasn't Winston Justice a top pick one year? Yeah we signed Peters, and got Herremans, but we're talking a lot of picks here. Ugh. And who's been coaching our o-line for 12 years prior to last year? Our defensive genius. rolleyes.gif

Injuries have killed us this year, that's for certain. But I'd agree that the oline hasn't been very good since Runyans and Thomas left. Peters was a good pickup, but we knew he was injury prone when we brought him in. And we haven't done well at drafting OTs in Reid's entire tenure.

D Rock
Y'all are nuts. It was great last year. Not a lot of o lines are gonna play well when you lose the two top players.

I know nobody wants to hear anyone defending this stank ass team today but let's not revise history.
GQSmooth
This loss was all on coaching. The offensive and special teams game plan was bad and the defense was stupid enough to change in the last quarter of the game. It was apparent this team was outsmarting itself on the second play when Marty had the reverse called. How in the bleep you call a cutesy play in the first 15 scripted plays when you're better than the other team is beyond me. Ranks up there with his decision to defer in overtime. The fact this play was scripted falls on Reid. The team initially started the game well deferred the kick off, the defense went 3 and out. The offense meanwhile went backwards as it did much of the day.

This game is a classic loss of the Reid era. Gets to cute and fails at clock management. This team has the best RB in the NFL and loses the game where it had a 10 point lead with 5 minutes left. Reid/Marty just have the wrong mindset in that situation. You don't start with a bomb on the first play, you grab your balls and pound that defense to get the clock moving.

I've never been on the fire Reid bandwagon, but I'm done with him at this point and can no longer defend him. It will never get through to him what is needed to win against the upper echelon of the NFL in tight games. To use Bryce Brown on stretch plays is a waste. I only recall one play out the I-formation and it was successful. Why the hell didnt they go back to it when it came time to finish the game. When you lose your best defensive lineman to an ejection, don't fucking put your defense right back out on the field run the ball, milk the clock, stick with short passes keep the clock moving. Another score is not what was needed. If Reid of all people can't see the need to keep the ball and milk the clock he never will. This team is a bunch of undisciplined underachievers--that indicts the coaching.

For those that blame Vick, you can blame him for the Pittsburgh loss, can't do it for the Detroit game. I indict Reid for failing to discipline Vick during the Pittsburgh game. With that many turnovers he should been benched at least for a few series.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 14 2012, 10:09 PM) *

What was insane about it. The part where Reid didn't explicitly tell Vick not to try to play Superman, thus resulting in two sacks?
Vick held the ball too long, because he wanted the big play.
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 15 2012, 11:48 AM) *
What was insane about it. The part where Reid didn't explicitly tell Vick not to try to play Superman, thus resulting in two sacks?

Vick shouldn't have been throwing from where they were on the field (I don't care if it's worked before, the Lions at that point knew what was coming and acted accordingly). He shouldn't have been throwing as much from the point they got lucky on that 70 yarder, either. there was time on the clock, there was no need to hurry down the field.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Dr. Claw @ Oct 15 2012, 11:08 AM) *
Vick shouldn't have been throwing from where they were on the field (I don't care if it's worked before, the Lions at that point knew what was coming and acted accordingly). He shouldn't have been throwing as much from the point they got lucky on that 70 yarder, either. there was time on the clock, there was no need to hurry down the field.

Huh? We started the drive at the 25. Vick had been sacked all of one time previously in the game. Then on two consecutive plays.

The pass had been working well all game long. Even on the final offensive snap in regulation, Maclin was wide open. Had Suh not knocked it down, we win the game.

The problem was Vick playing Superman.
xsv
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 15 2012, 12:18 PM) *
Huh? We started the drive at the 25. Vick had been sacked all of one time previously in the game. Then on two consecutive plays.

The pass had been working well all game long. Even on the final offensive snap in regulation, Maclin was wide open. Had Suh not knocked it down, we win the game.

The problem was Vick playing Superman.

I think we could have called 3 step drops and quicker passes on 1st and 2nd down in OT. The deep drops didn't work early in the game. Not sure why he thought they would work in OT.

I blame Reid a little more because we had major breakdowns in multiple areas. The ST sucked. The defense sucked. Vick sucked. The Oline sucked. The playcalling sucked. There's shit enough to go around on this one.
D Rock
QUOTE (xsv @ Oct 15 2012, 05:33 PM) *
I think we could have called 3 step drops and quicker passes on 1st and 2nd down in OT. The deep drops didn't work early in the game. Not sure why he thought they would work in OT.

I blame Reid a little more because we had major breakdowns in multiple areas. The ST sucked. The defense sucked. Vick sucked. The Oline sucked. The playcalling sucked. There's shit enough to go around on this one.

The last drive in reg. was not bad playcalling.

1st dwn went for a 6 yard gain. McCoy goes out of bounds. It's tough to get mad at shady but that was an error. 2nd down was a run stuffed for a loss. 3rd down (as has been stated here by others) found Maclin WIDE OPEN for an easy first down, but Vick through the ball with a shoulder level launch point and Suh barely had to raise a hand to knock it down.

Vick is a coach killing son of a bitch.
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 15 2012, 02:39 PM) *
Vick is a coach killing son of a bitch.

If that's what it will take to get Andy off the Eagles... GOOD.

xsv
QUOTE (Dr. Claw @ Oct 15 2012, 02:43 PM) *
If that's what it will take to get Andy off the Eagles... GOOD.

Lol, look at that, you guys are on the same side!
JeeQ
Eagles wide receiver Jason Avant’s not a star, but he is a respected voice in the locker room.

And he sounded a warning siren Sunday, after an overtime loss to the Lions dropped his team to 3-3. He knows that after winning the three games by a total of four points, they’re fortunate to be .500 right now.

“It’s just undisciplined. That’s the bottom line,” Avant said, via Marcus Hayes of the Philadelphia Daily News. “It’s undisciplined football. An undisciplined team at this point. Six games in, it’s embarrassing. That’s the word. Embarrassing. For coaches. And veteran players.

“With the mind-set of, ‘Me before the team,’ in certain instances. And we need to address that before we play another ballgame.”

Sunday’s meltdown featured rookie defensive tackle Fletcher Cox ejected for punching a Lions player, which coincided with the Detroit comeback. There were also three more turnovers involving quarterback Michael Vick.

They were also unable to run out the clock with the ball, a three-point lead and under four minutes to play.

“Yeah. It’s definitely undisciplined at this point,” right tackle Todd Herremans said. “A disciplined team would be able to go out there and run the ball, run the clock out with 5 minutes left.”

Other than the part about running the ball, it’s not what you’d expect from an Andy Reid team.

“The interesting thing about it is, Coach Reid is such a disciplinarian,” cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha said. “And there are times in the game where that becomes an issue. It makes no sense.”

Then again, little about the Eagles season to date does.

Damn near what I wrote word for word...

I'm blaming the entire team starting with the coach who sent them out unprepared just like last week. When you can't hold a ten point lead with five minutes left you're not just terrible defense, you're a terrible team. Your offense couldn't get a first down and hold onto the ball for five minutes? Your defense couldn't stop them from scoring twice? All they had to do is play with a shred of pride and heart in the final stretch and they laid down. If I could think of one word to define this team it'd be Undisciplined. The team taking the field every Sunday is not meeting up to their expected talent level.

Even the players know the coach is the root of the problem. Have to love Todd Herreman's mentioning "Running The Ball"
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 15 2012, 11:48 AM) *

you are nuts....2 consecutive 7 step drops? Those are good calls? hell even the announcers were wondering what the fuck the Eagles were doing...I laugh when I read this "Vick held the ball too long"...Les Bowen said the same thing but at least he had the balls to write an article to say he was wrong after watching the tape a 2nd time..........the first play in OT was not on Vick at all., that was Herremans getting schooled by Avril...the 2nd play was one he could have done something but he was running for his life immediately on that also....

This "Vick holds the ball too long" is tired...he may have early on this season but he has been running for his life routinely for the last 4 games.....you can't see the field as well when you are trying to avoid a rusher in 1-2 seconds.......
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 16 2012, 10:16 PM) *
you are nuts....2 consecutive 7 step drops? Those are good calls? hell even the announcers were wondering what the fuck the Eagles were doing...I laugh when I read this "Vick held the ball too long"...Les Bowen said the same thing but at least he had the balls to write an article to say he was wrong after watching the tape a 2nd time..........the first play in OT was not on Vick at all., that was Herremans getting schooled by Avril...the 2nd play was one he could have done something but he was running for his life immediately on that also....

This "Vick holds the ball too long" is tired...he may have early on this season but he has been running for his life routinely for the last 4 games.....you can't see the field as well when you are trying to avoid a rusher in 1-2 seconds.......

Yes, Vick turning around and running back to the two yard line was part of Marty's play call.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.