Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why can't this defense get a turnover or a sack?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Rick
Ok, overall, I like our defense this year. Ok, they didn't get it done in crunch time yesterday but, honestly, holding someone to 16 points should be enough with the offense we have (if they'd stop giving the ball away). But they certainly didn't get it done when it counted yesterday.

More importantly, why on Earth can't our defense get a friggin' turnover every so often? They just aren't getting that part of the game done. They haven't really been able to get this done for quite some time now either.

On top of that, we're getting NO good pressure on QBs. With our front line, I figured we'd have a bunch of sacks again this season but they're not getting it done there. Then we blitz and get burned (thanks to Asomugha, who can't seem to cover an old lady right now).

The defense (overall) is certainly more than good enough but they can be much better. I'm at a loss as to why they're not even better than they are.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
The philosophy has changed and so too has the drafting. Now we draft for speed.

In JJ's day our D was relentless in blitzing and the team was coached to create turnovers. Now we have this new wide 9 system but we're not able to force things into the backfield. And it looks like we get tired as the games progress.

It's a little bit of a mystery.

Plus, if you notice how Trent got double teamed yesterday I still don't get how come someone else wasn't able to take advantage.

Philly D is turning soft in those critical areas, causing sacks and turnovers.
Rick
QUOTE (Bocadelphia Eagles John @ Oct 8 2012, 06:41 PM) *
Plus, if you notice how Trent got double teamed yesterday I still don't get how come someone else wasn't able to take advantage.

I said, well yelled, the exact same thing at the TV yesterday....
bwc2112
And one can only ask "why,why did we trade Brian Dawkins away. The soul of our defense went with him. That's my honest opinion. I thought the same when we lost Reggie White, I worked at his house here in NC and meeting him was one of the best days of my life.
JeeQ
Eagles are 29th in the league in total sacks. Didn't see that coming after the preseason D-Line massacre. The only less effective D-Lines are the Jets, Raiders, and Jaguars. We have all the weaknesses of the Wide 9, but none of the benefits.
Rick
QUOTE (bwc2112 @ Oct 8 2012, 07:54 PM) *
And one can only ask "why,why did we trade Brian Dawkins away. The soul of our defense went with him. That's my honest opinion. I thought the same when we lost Reggie White, I worked at his house here in NC and meeting him was one of the best days of my life.

Trading B-Dawk was the biggest mistake they made. I realize he can't play forever but, as you said, he was the soul of the defense. It's been down hill ever since...
Phits
QUOTE (bwc2112 @ Oct 8 2012, 07:54 PM) *

We didn't trade him, he left via free agency. Apparently the millions of dollars we offered was insulting, so he took the millions that Denver was offering.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 9 2012, 09:58 AM) *
We didn't trade him, he left via free agency. Apparently the millions of dollars we offered was insulting, so he took the millions that Denver was offering.

Denver offered him 5 years, $17 million, with at least $7 million guaranteed, in what everyone knew was going to be his last payday in a Hall of Fame career. The Eagles offered him a 1-year deal (he was a Pro-Bowler in 2008 remember), I'm not sure how much, but I would assume it was a pretty insulting offer from C. Montgomery Burns a.k.a. Joe Banner. Dawkins refused.

Supposedly a 2-year deal was in the works, when Denver came in and realized they could scoop up a Pro-Bowl safety - they did. It was an absolutely disgraceful effort by our front office, and by the way, he made the Pro Bowl in '09 and '11. He played like a beast in Denver for most of his time there. Is there any doubt the defense lacks a real leader, and has for years? Is there any doubt he would've been perfect to groom our upcoming safeties, and pump up our guys in crucial situations?

It wasn't worth the pussyfooting around for a few million, or an extra year or two - how much fucking money have we paid Winston Justice? Aso? Vick?
koolaidluke
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Oct 9 2012, 03:31 AM) *
Eagles are 29th in the league in total sacks. Didn't see that coming after the preseason D-Line massacre. The only less effective D-Lines are the Jets, Raiders, and Jaguars. We have all the weaknesses of the Wide 9, but none of the benefits.

The Eagles D line is getting great pressure, just not a ton of sacks.
koolaidluke
The Eagles are the fourth best pass rush in the league according to PFF.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Oct 9 2012, 11:04 AM) *
The Eagles are the fourth best pass rush in the league according to PFF.

According to Pittsburgh, they rank much lower.
Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 9 2012, 10:39 AM) *
Denver offered him 5 years, $17 million, with at least $7 million guaranteed, in what everyone knew was going to be his last payday in a Hall of Fame career. The Eagles offered him a 1-year deal (he was a Pro-Bowler in 2008 remember), I'm not sure how much, but I would assume it was a pretty insulting offer from C. Montgomery Burns a.k.a. Joe Banner. Dawkins refused.

Supposedly a 2-year deal was in the works, when Denver came in and realized they could scoop up a Pro-Bowl safety - they did. It was an absolutely disgraceful effort by our front office, and by the way, he made the Pro Bowl in '09 and '11. He played like a beast in Denver for most of his time there. Is there any doubt the defense lacks a real leader, and has for years? Is there any doubt he would've been perfect to groom our upcoming safeties, and pump up our guys in crucial situations?

It wasn't worth the pussyfooting around for a few million, or an extra year or two - how much fucking money have we paid Winston Justice? Aso? Vick?

The F.O. handled it like any other deal with an aging veteran. The D (as a whole) was on the decline and lacked the ferociousness of years past. I think the Cards championship game and JJ's passing marked the end of an era. The leader of the D and O were held accountable and there was a changing of guard.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.