Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The D shares the blame....
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Phits
In the end…the fumbles didn't matter. In the fourth the Eagles had a lead. Took 8 minutes off the clock. Defense is faced with a 3rd and 12 – and they fail to make a stop (much like they had difficulty stopping the Steelers on 3rd down for the entire 2nd half)

2 weeks ago Eli threw 3 picks. By the fourth he had them in the lead – when it came time for the defense to make the stop – they did.

When you have a lead, late in the fourth, it’s the responsibility of your DEFENSE to hold it. Period.

The pressure on Rottenburger was minimal. The team was held to 0 sacks. That isn't acceptable, especially in a close game.

I understand that Vick's fumbles probably cost points and what should have been an early lead, but, by the time it really mattered the defense seemed to let up....and we lose because of a last second FG.
GQSmooth
So your argument is the defense gave up 16 points in Roger Goodell's pass all you want NFL and failed...really???
Bocadelphia Eagles John
QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Oct 8 2012, 11:18 AM) *
So your argument is the defense gave up 16 points in Roger Goodell's pass all you want NFL and failed...really???

It does not matter that Pitt scored only 16 points. For fuck sakes, it wouldn't have mattered if they scored only 2 fucking points. When it mattered, in the 2nd half, the D was torn a new asshole. The argument about 16 points is totally irrelevant. The game was lost by Vick and the D.
Phits
QUOTE (Bocadelphia Eagles John @ Oct 8 2012, 11:22 AM) *
It does not matter that Pitt scored only 16 points. For fuck sakes, it wouldn't have mattered if they scored only 2 fucking points. When it mattered, in the 2nd half, the D was torn a new asshole. The argument about 16 points is totally irrelevant. The game was lost by Vick and the D.

+1
spot on ol' chap
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 8 2012, 11:13 AM) *
I understand that Vick's fumbles probably cost points and what should have been an early lead, but, by the time it really mattered the defense seemed to let up....and we lose because of a last second FG.

The defense had 2 very good quarters, one decent one, and one shitty one. The fumbles obviously mattered and cost us the game-winning points, but I would agree that when it was crunch time our D failed miserably (way too much zone coverage and no pressure on Roflburger).

Also, Pitt finished off the game like champs - that's how you end a game in the 4th.

Our special teams has flown under the radar this year because of Vick's fumbles, but honestly they suck shit too.
Phits
QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Oct 8 2012, 11:18 AM) *

I am saying that the D gave up a late FG and lost the game for us because they couldn't stop the opposition on 3rd down. It wouldn't make a difference if it was 16 points or 60 points. They had a responsibility to hold and maintain the lead and failed.
GQSmooth
Nobody in the league can stop rapistburger on 3rd down. His QB rating on 3rd down is like 110. If you want to fault the team for not stopping that go right ahead. Fact of the matter is if Vick doesn't fumble its a win and were not discussing any perceived 'defensive failures'.
Phits
QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Oct 8 2012, 11:43 AM) *
Nobody in the league can stop rapistburger on 3rd down. His QB rating on 3rd down is like 110. If you want to fault the team for not stopping that go right ahead. Fact of the matter is if Vick doesn't fumble its a win and were not discussing any perceived 'defensive failures'.

It's not a "fact", because the defense showed an inability to hold the lead. You assume that a lead would have been safe, they proved otherwise.
Bocadelphia Eagles John

What a great way to give approval to failure. Nobody else can do it so it's ok that we don't either.

Sorry bro, that's not how it works. Our failure is our own. Someone else's failure is theirs. We didn't protect our lead, as slim as it was, and that is all you have to know.

The team with the I can attitude is the one that doesn't accept someone else's failure as a reason to accept it's own.

For a team who's D line is supposed to rely on rotation to be effective, during the time when it counted, we didn't get it done.

I'm amazed that so many of my brothers here on this site are willing to let the D slide like this.

Besides, what is our goal this year ? Playing as we have so far is shaky ground on which to plan for any prizes.
JeeQ
Vick's fumbles made what would have been a guaranteed win a loss, but at the same time, the last time Vick touched the ball we were up 14-13. If the defense makes one stop on the multiple 3rd and longs they were presented with, we win the game. This much like the Cardinals game was a group effort loss. Our special teams are atrocious and if it wasn't for all our other problems they'd get noticed more. Our kick/punt return yardage is negligible and on every kickoff you can almost expect the opponent's KR to take it up near the 50. Last week the Giants worked on a short field all game. But what kills me more then anything is after seeing how effective the run was last week, Andy abandoned it again. 10 carries for McCoy when the 4th QTR started. Our best player continues to be our most under utilized player. Even though Shady converted two 4th and 1 situations, Andy will still give fumble prone Vick and Bryce Brown the ball in a Red Zone situation. Also when we needed TOs to stop the clock in the 4th, Andy had already managed to use two of them in one drive.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Oct 8 2012, 12:49 PM) *
But what kills me more then anything is after seeing how effective the run was last week, Andy abandoned it again.

This is why, in order to keep my sanity, I keep noting our record with and without running the ball. It's his religion, and he's never going to change it - just like people magically expect he'll figure out how to manage a clock, or call an intelligent goal line play.
koolaidluke

The D caught a couple big breaks with drops too. They needed to close out the game in the 4th and they couldn't do it.

Most of the blame goes to Vick and the OL, but the D needs to take some responsibility.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.