Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3 weeks in a row we play teams coming of a bye or mini-bye
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Mr. Bonko
How fair is that?!?!?!
GQSmooth
At least 7 games for the season where the team were playing is coming off a break. The league likes to do it to take the away the speed and youth advantage the Eagles have had in the past. I'm convinced they will do anything to get their preferred teams into playoffs and Supe.
Mr. Bonko
QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Oct 1 2012, 03:24 PM) *
At least 7 games for the season where the team were playing is coming off a break. The league likes to do it to take the away the speed and youth advantage the Eagles have had in the past. I'm convinced they will do anything to get their preferred teams into playoffs and Supe.

If the league were conspiring to give an advantage, PHL would benefit. Eagles=Ratings.

But there is no way the league would conspire to manipulate (or eve influence) the outcome of a game(s). It makes no business sense. Why risk $9B in annual revenue (and growing) to fix games? People who think the league fixes games to make money don't understand business. They would never fix a game b/c of money. In fact, money is the very reason they would never fix one.
GQSmooth
New York is a bigger market
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Mr. Bonko @ Oct 1 2012, 04:15 PM) *
But there is no way the league would conspire to manipulate (or eve influence) the outcome of a game(s). It makes no business sense

Really? You think the NFL would rather see Jags vs. Pats in the AFCCG than Pitt vs. Pats? Or NYJ vs. Pats? Makes perfect business sense to me.
Mr. Bonko
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 3 2012, 01:49 PM) *
Really? You think the NFL would rather see Jags vs. Pats in the AFCCG than Pitt vs. Pats? Or NYJ vs. Pats? Makes perfect business sense to me.

That's not what I said. Try to read slowly. I said that the league would rather see Jags vs Pats than do something like conspiring to make (or increase the chances of) Jets vs Pats happening and risk a $9B business.

I know a lot of people love consipracy theories so much that they are blind to the obvious. In this case, the obvious being that you don't risk $9B annaully to make a few extra million in one year.

I've accepted that it is not getting any smarter out there though and people will still claim that leagues do this kind of stuff no matter how idiotic of a theory it is.

Rouge ref here and there possible? Sure. Crooked player here and there? Possible.

Profitable leages like the NFL consipring to influence the outcome of games for short term financial gain while risking fortunes in long term profits? Never, not in a million years. It's a compltely absurd and proposterous notion -- despite how many morons who don't understand business subscribe to it.

Get it now? Try reading it again if you still don't follow.
HOUSEoPAIN
Try to read slowly

I did, much more thoroughly - and your point is even more stupid and incoherent than it was originally - much like all of your other contributions to the board.

despite how many morons who don't understand business subscribe to it

The NFL (and those who understand business) know damn well there's no risk at all in pretty much anything they do, short of busting the player's union - I would think the players threatened Goodell with a strike after the week 3 debacle, which is what ended the whole thing with the refs, considering we were all watching the games regardless.

You think if it was the Ravens who had Bountygate, or the Bears, such suspensions would've been handed out? Remember how Belichick got off pretty much scot-free after Spygate? New Orleans is one of the worst markets in the country, a hair above Nashville and Jacksonville - the NFL cares nothing about integrity, it cares about money - this isn't a conspiracy theory you half-wit, it's a simple business fact. Nobody is gonna stop watching football because Goodell screwed Blaine Gabbert out of a playoff spot.

Mr. Bonko
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 3 2012, 02:38 PM) *
I did, much more thoroughly - and your point is even more stupid and incoherent than it was originally - much like all of your other contributions to the board.

The NFL (and those who understand business) know damn well there's no risk at all in pretty much anything they do, short of busting the player's union - I would think the players threatened Goodell with a strike after the week 3 debacle, which is what ended the whole thing with the refs, considering we were all watching the games regardless.

You think if it was the Ravens who had Bountygate, or the Bears, such suspensions would've been handed out? Remember how Belichick got off pretty much scot-free after Spygate? New Orleans is one of the worst markets in the country, a hair above Nashville and Jacksonville - the NFL cares nothing about integrity, it cares about money - this isn't a conspiracy theory you half-wit, it's a simple business fact. Nobody is gonna stop watching football because Goodell screwed Blaine Gabbert out of a playoff spot.

You're right, if the NFL got caught fixing games, it would have no influence on future revenues.

Where'd you get your MBA, Wharton or Univ of Phoenix?

You should be asking for my Paypal address to send me some cash for the free education I am providing. Next week I'll try to explain to you that oral sex and talking about sex are not the same thing. Don't hurt yourself trying to figure out the difference, just continue sitting on your TV watching your couch.

HOUSEoPAIN
You're right, if the NFL got caught fixing games, it would have no influence on future revenues.

They wouldn't get caught, but assuming they did (maybe Goodell tweets an order to Hoculi to fix a game), they'd offer some BS excuse, and 2 weeks later nobody would give a shit.

You should be asking for my Paypal address to send me some cash for the free education I am providing

That isn't necessary - instead, I'm glad that everytime I get a paycheck, the money that gets deducted from it goes towards your EBT card and welfare checks, to give you the energy you need (not to mention the internet bill being paid) in order to come on here and troll. It feels as good as volunteering.
Mr. Bonko
OK, you're right, the NFL is fixed.

WTF is an EBT card? That fact that you apparently know what that is off the top of your head is telling.
GQSmooth
Nobody said the NFL is fixed, thats the NBA. The NFL simply gives scheduling advantages to certain teams. How do you explain the New York Giants face 0 as in zero teams coming off a bye this year?? The Eagles face at least 4 teams coming off a bye week. To make matters worse the Falcons have their bye the same week we have ours. At least one team comes off a mini-bye, Washington plays us off a bye which should be unheard of within a division. Philly has 2 Monday nighters, NYG just one. Philly has their Thursday nighter in December, NYG in September. PHL bye week 7, NYG bye week 11.

Mike Perreira after retirement stated that Philly front office complains about everything. The league office tunes them out. Goodell does the biddings of Mara and Kraft.
koolaidluke
the falcons game doesn't count
Mr. Bonko

Yeah and we never landed on the moon, the US Govt planned 9/11 and Mikey died eating pop rocks.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Oct 3 2012, 08:35 PM) *
Goodell does the biddings of Mara and Kraft.

That's kinda my point - again, does anyone here think that New Orleans suspensions would've been given to Chicago's defense, or the Ravens defense? Remember how Belichick got a tiny slap on the wrist for blatantly cheating, along with his entire team? They don't 'fix' games in the traditional sense, but they damn well have a stake in certain teams doing well, the big markets.
Mr. Bonko
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 3 2012, 08:59 PM) *
That's kinda my point - again, does anyone here think that New Orleans suspensions would've been given to Chicago's defense, or the Ravens defense?

Yes.

I will grant you this though, I do think the league was influenced by the civil suits regarding player safety when making these rulings. I'm not saying they are an altruistic organization. If fact, the reason they would NEVER do anything to intentionally influence the competitive balance of the league is due to the potential loss of money if hey were ever exposed of doing so.

Remember how Belichick got a tiny slap on the wrist for blatantly cheating, along with his entire team?

Yes and it has no affect of my position.

They don't 'fix' games in the traditional sense, but they damn well have a stake in certain teams doing well, the big markets.

Agreed but that doesn't mean then do anything to help these teams.

As for how the NYG got such a scheduling gift this year, I don't know the answer and believe it is a fair question to pose to the league. But I am 100% sure it was not done intentionally to increase the chances of the Giants doing well.

Like I said, the Eagles are one of the flagship franchises in the NFL. The league would love for them to do well.
Reality Fan
I thought Belicheck was fined 500,000 and the Pats 250,000 and a first round draft pick?
Rick
Let's go back even farther--after Katrina--and look at how hard they tried to get NO to win the SB (took them two seasons). Watching the numerous NO games on TV (many of them were), I saw an awful lot of BS calls for NO and against their opponents (the Eagles were victims of some of those calls).

The NFL most definitely does influence things for the better of the NFL. I don't think they do it all of the time nor as blatantly as it was for NO, but I firmly believe they do things to influence who the winning team(s) will be.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 3 2012, 10:22 PM) *
I thought Belicheck was fined 500,000 and the Pats 250,000 and a first round draft pick?

Yeah - getting off 'scot-free' - the Saints have lost an entire season - Belichick and Kraft got a tax deduction out of it, and last I checked haven't missed a beat. Please.
Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 4 2012, 09:09 AM) *
Yeah - getting off 'scot-free' - the Saints have lost an entire season - Belichick and Kraft got a tax deduction out of it, and last I checked haven't missed a beat. Please.

There's a great difference between recording the opposition's practices and rewarding players for intentionally injuring the opposition.

With regards to the Saints the extensive nature of the cover-up, which included the general manager, coaches and players also had a lot to do with the severity of the penalty and especially with regards to player safety.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 4 2012, 10:39 AM) *
There's a great difference between recording the opposition's practices and rewarding players for intentionally injuring the opposition.

You left out recording games, including a championship game, stealing signs, and thus basically stealing wins for a period of years. Remember the 2nd half of our Super Bowl? Wow, Brady sure seemed to become much better at reading blitzes, eh? That isn't a huge deal?

Are you kidding me? 90% of these guys are trying to knock you into next week regardless, what the Pats did was destroy the integrity of the game. There's no remote comparison I agree, just the other way around.
Phits
That's speculation. They weren't accused of all that you suggest.

As for our SB loss, Brady didn't have to adjust. Our DC failed to adjust to the screen pasSes that lit us up.

Former St. Louis Rams head coach Mike Martz released the following statement tonight, through the San Francisco 49ers, where he is serving as offensive coordinator:

"I had the opportunity to talk to Commissioner [Roger] Goodell yesterday and I was very satisfied with the NFLs efforts to investigate the situation with Matt Walsh as it related to Super Bowl XXXVI. Im very confident that there was no impropriety. I believed Bill Belichick when he said there wasnt and I took that at face value.

"Let me make this clear we lost to the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl because we turned the ball over three times. If there was anything obtained from our walk-thru from a casual observer that happened to be present, then that was just part of those walk-thrus and that environment. What Ive said all along and what my only concerns were if A): If the walk-thru was filmed or cool.gif: If it was purposely scouted for information. If so, then that is an issue that the league needs to pursue. Im very satisfied that this was not the situation in this instance whatsoever.

"I was stunned at Matt Walshs allegation that he was on the sideline in New England Patriots apparel during our walk-thru. I find that insulting, disturbing and a slap in the face to both our team security and NFL security, who both do outstanding jobs. I promise you that if he was on the sideline, he was not in New England Patriots apparel because he would have been identified.

"This whole issue is based on statements made by Matt Walsh, and I think we have to understand that.

"Im very grateful for Commissioner Goodell to take the time to talk to me about this. Its time to put this situation behind us.
Mr. Bonko
QUOTE (Rick @ Oct 4 2012, 07:19 AM) *
Let's go back even farther--after Katrina--and look at how hard they tried to get NO to win the SB (took them two seasons). Watching the numerous NO games on TV (many of them were), I saw an awful lot of BS calls for NO and against their opponents (the Eagles were victims of some of those calls).

The NFL most definitely does influence things for the better of the NFL. I don't think they do it all of the time nor as blatantly as it was for NO, but I firmly believe they do things to influence who the winning team(s) will be.

I see we found another mensa candidate. If you can find the time, can you please explain why and how it is that the govt has all this secret information on UFOs that they are concealing from us.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 4 2012, 10:57 AM) *
You left out recording games, including a championship game, stealing signs, and thus basically stealing wins for a period of years. Remember the 2nd half of our Super Bowl? Wow, Brady sure seemed to become much better at reading blitzes, eh? That isn't a huge deal?

Are you kidding me? 90% of these guys are trying to knock you into next week regardless, what the Pats did was destroy the integrity of the game. There's no remote comparison I agree, just the other way around.

they recorded defensive signals and Belicheck admitted having done it since 2000 so it must not have helped early on...the defense was that they did not use it in that game but saved it for future reference.......the Eagles loss was more of a bad adjustment by the Eagles O but that is another story. Most of the other stuff was proven as bullshit including Matt Walsh's 15 minutes of fame and the Boston Herald retracted their claim. In the end they were found guilty of recording defensive signals. If you watched the games the Saints played the hits were definitely dirty, I remember watching them and wondering why there was no retaliation from the teams.
Rick
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 4 2012, 10:57 AM) *

Quite frankly, the whole concept of stealing signs--whether in football or baseball--is funny. Of course you're going to try and figure out what signs they're using to call certain things. What amazes me is they make it, "against the rules." That's just plain funny to me.
Rick
QUOTE (Mr. Bonko @ Oct 4 2012, 05:07 PM) *
I see we found another mensa candidate. If you can find the time, can you please explain why and how it is that the govt has all this secret information on UFOs that they are concealing from us.

Did you not have enough money for your latest rounds of meds?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Rick @ Oct 5 2012, 07:07 AM) *
Quite frankly, the whole concept of stealing signs--whether in football or baseball--is funny. Of course you're going to try and figure out what signs they're using to call certain things. What amazes me is they make it, "against the rules." That's just plain funny to me.

It's called sportsmanship. There's nothing wrong with trying to figure out things in-game, or studying video of past games. There is something wrong with putting a plant out in the center field bleachers, or having someone in a TV studio signal to you what they're calling. I would guess the vast majority of players, coaches, and league personnel in both leagues are on my side on this issue.....you know, considering it's always been 'against the rules.'
Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 5 2012, 12:33 PM) *
I would guess the vast majority of players, coaches, and league personnel in both leagues are on my side on this issue....

Just because you play by the rules doesn't mean you agree with them.
Rick
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 5 2012, 12:33 PM) *
It's called sportsmanship. There's nothing wrong with trying to figure out things in-game, or studying video of past games. There is something wrong with putting a plant out in the center field bleachers, or having someone in a TV studio signal to you what they're calling. I would guess the vast majority of players, coaches, and league personnel in both leagues are on my side on this issue.....you know, considering it's always been 'against the rules.'

I understand what you're saying, however, let's be serious, what's so different about having someone watch the TV feed and then let their team know what's happening vs. someone sitting on the bench doing it? Ok, it's a bit much to hide cameras, etc. but I don't think it's as big of a deal as they make it seem?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Rick @ Oct 5 2012, 03:41 PM) *
I understand what you're saying, however, let's be serious, what's so different about having someone watch the TV feed and then let their team know what's happening vs. someone sitting on the bench doing it? Ok, it's a bit much to hide cameras, etc. but I don't think it's as big of a deal as they make it seem?

It's an unfair advantage in my opinion. Again, these things are illegal and coaches & players aren't speaking out about changing it, and nobody complained when Belicheat was fined for it.

I would consider it the same difference as in getting a good stock tip (good), and using insider information for your benefit (bad).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.