Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Icing the kicker...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
D Rock
Okay. Admit it. Who was 100% certain we lost that game when Andy called that time out.

Asked if he regretted it, Reid responded...

"You're surrounded by 66,000 people that probably want to rip your throat out," Reid said when asked if he regretted calling a timeout to ice Lawrence Tynes on his first attempt. "About twentyfold what Custer felt."

laugh.gif
CT_Eagle
Absolutely. I went from pure jubilation to utter hatred for Reid in the span of about 3 seconds. All I could think of was the Mia-NY game from last week. Then when the 2nd kick was going straight down the pike my head nearly exploded.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 1 2012, 11:35 AM) *
Okay. Admit it. Who was 100% certain we lost that game when Andy called that time out.

Yup. The first kick was rushed, it was 54 yards, and it was to end the game one way or the other. Tynes getting another shot, I would've bet the farm we were done - the kick was perfectly straight and looked good, but obviously fell short.

I was at the game a few years ago when Akers attempted a 57-yarder as time expired, I believe to send the game into OT, which would've capped a great comeback. It hit the upright, about halfway up. I consider this game to be our revenge.
mcnabbulous
My problem with the strategy is the fact that we're talking about professionals. After Tynes missed the first kick, he was able to make the appropriate adjustment to not pull the second one. We were fortunate he didn't put enough behind it.

I have a feeling we won't see that again.
koolaidluke
I think I've seen icing the kicker work once. I've seen it backfire several times.

what mcnabbulous said about professionals adjusting is dead on. seconded.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Oct 1 2012, 01:22 PM) *
I think I've seen icing the kicker work once. I've seen it backfire several times.

what mcnabbulous said about professionals adjusting is dead on. seconded.

I absolutely hate the method in which Reid did it, which I believe is only around a decade or so old. Calling timeout before a crucial kick to let the kicker think about it some more, or have to stand out there some more on a cold night, is perfectly fine. That bullshit where you let him get one shot, everyone thinks the game is over, and all of a sudden he gets another shot? No.

In all fairness to Reid, I believe that's the first time I've ever seen him do that. And the last.
Eyrie
Due to time zone differences I only caught the game this evening using the Condensed option on Gamepass. Confused the hell out of me at first why the NJ Vagiants were having a second attempt, made worse by the camera angle being from behind the posts so it looked like the attempt was good until the refs signalled otherwise.

My initial reaction to realising why they had kicked a second time? Our super-genius head coach strikes again.

We got lucky for the reason Mcnabbulous says.
JeeQ
Vick said it perfectly

"You Never Give A Kicker A Practice Shot"

You give anyone a second attempt at something you're essentially doubling their chances of making it. If that FG goes in instead of talking about Reid coaching an improved game we're talking about firing Arrogant Andy again.

The best part is you know he was sitting there with his timeouts at the end of the game thinking "Well look at that, I have Timeouts... I know what I'll do, I'll ice the kicker. They'll never see that coming. Andy Reid, you sly devil, you truly are the smartest coach in the world"

*watches FG miss wide-left*

"I still have a timeout... wonder if I can ice the kicker again"
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Oct 1 2012, 03:33 PM) *
"I still have a timeout... wonder if I can ice the kicker again"

laugh.gif

Birdman420
Lol Jee, I was there and the crowd went completely ballistic after we had been jumping up and down because we thought we won the game after the first kick. After the second kick you could hear the entire stadium sigh in relief as andy dodged yet another bullet.
Rick
I really don't understand why they continue to try to ice the kicker. It just doesn't work and, more often than not, backfires.

More importantly, it seems EVERYONE kicks a long FG against the Eagles to win the game. I was shocked when he missed it the first time, just about had a heart attack when I realized that idiot Reid had called TO to give them a 2nd chance, then almost died (again) when I saw the kick headed straight down the middle.

Was nice to see someone FINALLY miss a long FG at the end of a game against the Eagles...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.