Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Remember, most football coaches
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Mr. Bonko
started as Phys-Ed majors. Most gym teachers are not exactly Rhodes Scholars.

xsv
QUOTE (Mr. Bonko @ Sep 27 2012, 01:50 PM) *

Lol, I rather enjoy your trolling style, sir.
D Rock
QUOTE (Mr. Bonko @ Sep 27 2012, 05:50 PM) *

Duh. It's football. They may not be Rhodes Scholars as you say. But, football aint exactly quantum physics either.

Just Sayin -
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Mr. Bonko @ Sep 27 2012, 01:50 PM) *

Well, Mike Mamula, one of our worst draft busts ever, scored a 49 on the Wonderlic, the 2nd highest ever recorded for an NFL player, a veritable genius - and of course he sucked ass.

In contrast, Frank Gore, a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame, scored a 6 - a score of 10 suggests a person is literate.

To put it another way, the median score for a security guard is 17.....football don't require much brains pal. So while Frank Gore may not be able to read his plaque in Canton one day, with all the success he's had, he can hire someone to read for him wherever he goes.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Sep 27 2012, 01:42 PM) *
Well, Mike Mamula, one of our worst draft busts ever, scored a 49 on the Wonderlic, the 2nd highest ever recorded for an NFL player, a veritable genius - and of course he sucked ass.

Of course, he's the most over exaggerated "draft bust" in history...
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 27 2012, 03:31 PM) *

Stop being a party pooper and laugh at my witty post.

I was trying to make the point that intelligence and football skill have nothing to do with each other. Unfortunately, Freddie Mitchell and Jerome McDougle's Wonderlic scores wouldn't have supported my argument as well as Mike Mamula.
Reality Fan
I don't know.....if I had it to do all over again........work 9 months....play basketball, football etc against kids you can dominate....lol...and make 80k+ by the time you retire with great benefits and a great pension........who is the dummy.....granted I will retire sooner but it would have saved me a ton of stress and bunch of money spent on my gym membership...lololol
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 27 2012, 11:25 PM) *
I don't know.....if I had it to do all over again........work 9 months....play basketball, football etc against kids you can dominate....lol...and make 80k+ by the time you retire with great benefits and a great pension........who is the dummy.....granted I will retire sooner but it would have saved me a ton of stress and bunch of money spent on my gym membership...lololol

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Birdman420
If talking about football makes you feel smart, then you're an idiot.

Just sayin, Football feeds the ego and thats about it.
Eyrie
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 27 2012, 08:31 PM) *

Agreed - if we'd taken him in the second or third round he'd have been a solid pick. What made trading up for him look even worse was that the Buccaneers used our picks to get Sapp and Brooks.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Sep 28 2012, 06:27 AM) *
Agreed - if we'd taken him in the second or third round he'd have been a solid pick. What made trading up for him look even worse was that the Buccaneers used our picks to get Sapp and Brooks.

.....which is why he was a complete bust.
xsv
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Sep 28 2012, 08:47 AM) *
.....which is why he was a complete bust.

Being a bust is one thing. But he's not even the biggest first round bust for the eagles at his position.

Jerome McDougal and Jon Harris were both bigger busts.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (xsv @ Sep 28 2012, 09:21 AM) *
Being a bust is one thing. But he's not even the biggest first round bust for the eagles at his position.

Jerome McDougal and Jon Harris were both bigger busts.

No argument here - but again, I was trying to make the point about intelligence vs. football talent. The guy that gets shot in the off-season doesnt help me make my point tongue.gif
xsv
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Sep 28 2012, 09:34 AM) *
No argument here - but again, I was trying to make the point about intelligence vs. football talent. The guy that gets shot in the off-season doesnt help me make my point tongue.gif

You mentioned Gore. But I would think that running the ball is more instinct and less thinking than say, QB or coach.

I wonder if there are any HOF calibre QBs that scored that low on the wonderlic? McNabb is probably short of the HOF but not by a whole lot, and I think I remember that McNabb scored in the low teens? By comparison I think that Kolb scored in the mid 20s.

I think that some positions, and certainly HC requires more smarts than DE or RB.
HOUSEoPAIN
You mentioned Gore. But I would think that running the ball is more instinct and less thinking than say, QB or coach.

Obviously - but a DEs job is probably as cognitively demanding as running the ball.

I wonder if there are any HOF calibre QBs that scored that low on the wonderlic? McNabb is probably short of the HOF but not by a whole lot, and I think I remember that McNabb scored in the low teens? By comparison I think that Kolb scored in the mid 20s.

It's 2012 my friends, a 5 second search on google got me this.

Very low scoring QBs I haven't even heard of, funny that McNabb is actually the first HOF candidate on the list from the bottom up with a 14.

Interestingly, those who scored one point higher are a couple of the best QBs ever, along with HOF candidates: Bradshaw, Marino, Kelly, Cunningham, McNair.

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (xsv @ Sep 28 2012, 09:58 AM) *

A score of 20 is considered average, equivalent to an IQ of 100 which is average. They say that if you double your wonderlic score and add 60, you can come up with a rough idea of what your IQ is - I'm in absolute shock, as it turns out Eli Manning scored a 39 on the Wonderlic, translating to an IQ of 138! I would've placed him somewhere between Forrest Gump and the banjo player from Deliverance.....
Reality Fan
while the wonderlic is ridiculously easy when you look at the test and it makes you wonder how anyone could not ace it but you have to remember that some people just suck at standardized testing whether it is the time constraint element or a concentration under pressure issue......I never understood it because I never were bothered by them but I know some pretty smart folks who have done very, very well for themselves that did very poorly on them. One particular one is a funny story.....a good friend who has gone on to be an executive first at Coca Cola and then at Perdue was not very good at them.....he took his SATs and when a football recruiter came to see him he asked him how he did.....he told the guy "not very well" so the guy asked him what he did on the math and he told him 390 so the guy asked how he did on the english and he said...."I did really bad on that......" lolololol true story.......and illustrative of how some people just don't do standardized testing well....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.