Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Re: Starting Foles
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
Can you honestly say that you think it's in his best long-term interest to start him when we would have our backup or 3rd string LT protecting his blindside?

All this talk is ridiculous. We always, always struggle early in the season. We always, always, play better later in the year. That's a testament to the quality of coach we have. Early season NFL football is unpredictable. We will get better.
xsv
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 24 2012, 05:24 PM) *
Can you honestly say that you think it's in his best long-term interest to start him when we would have our backup or 3rd string LT protecting his blindside?

All this talk is ridiculous. We always, always struggle early in the season. We always, always, play better later in the year. That's a testament to the quality of coach we have. Early season NFL football is unpredictable. We will get better.

Bench Vick.
Shitcan Reid.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 24 2012, 09:24 PM) *

Are all of the playoff exists a testament to quality of the coach we have? A regular trip to the playoffs is not good enough.
JeeQ
Eagles coach Andy Reid says he knows who to blame for his team’s 27-6 loss to the Cardinals: Andy Reid.

“They played better than we did, clearly better,” Reid said after the game. “They coached better, they played better, and so that’s my responsibility. I didn’t have my football team ready to play. They did, and my hats off to them. Field position, turnovers, you can’t play a good football team like that and have the turnovers that we had and not have field position. You’ve got to do a better job than that, and that again absolutely is on me. I’ve got to get my football team ready to play. I did a terrible job this week.”

In a game in which the Cardinals battered Michael Vick, Reid said that the Eagles’ pass protection, in particular, was not good enough.

“He got hit too much, and I can help out with that. That’s my responsibility there,” Reid said.

Now Reid, who entered this season knowing that Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie is going to fire him if the team doesn’t get better, has to do a better job. Or else he won’t have a job.

====================

Anyone else tired of hearing that? Anyone?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Sep 24 2012, 05:37 PM) *

Since about 2008.
Eyrie
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Sep 24 2012, 10:37 PM) *

It's what I'd expect Reid to say publicly. Calling out his players isn't the smartest move.

What I want to see is evidence that he's fixing the problems behind the scenes. Whether that involves changing personnel or play calling is less important than that we see a vast improvement immediately.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Sep 24 2012, 04:30 PM) *
Are all of the playoff exists a testament to quality of the coach we have? A regular trip to the playoffs is not good enough.

Huh? This doesn't even make sense. The playoff losses tend to be the product of various factors.

Would you fire Belichick? He hasn't won a title since 2004. He also hasn't won a title since being caught cheating. During that time, he's had a top-3 QB the entire time.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (xsv @ Sep 24 2012, 04:29 PM) *
Bench Vick.
Shitcan Reid.

So you think it's in the best interest of Foles to start him behind Dunlap or Bell?
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 24 2012, 09:41 PM) *
Huh? This doesn't even make sense. The playoff losses tend to be the product of various factors.

Would you fire Belichick? He hasn't won a title since 2004. He also hasn't won a title since being caught cheating. During that time, he's had a top-3 QB the entire time.

R U serious? What is the common thread in all of those losses? Reid. It makes perfect sense if you haven't spun yourself in knots trying to excuse failure. Reid has not gotten the job done and there is absolutely nothing that points to him having learned any lessons that would lead to improvement. Reid's high water mark was the '94 season. That was 8 years ago. Belichik matched that mark just last year. Not to mentiong the fact that Belichik has actually closed the deal 3 times. In no way shape or form should Reid ever be compared to Belichik.

xsv
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 24 2012, 05:45 PM) *
So you think it's in the best interest of Foles to start him behind Dunlap or Bell?

Best interest of the team, yes.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Sep 24 2012, 04:59 PM) *
R U serious? What is the common thread in all of those losses? Reid. It makes perfect sense if you haven't spun yourself in knots trying to excuse failure. Reid has not gotten the job done and there is absolutely nothing that points to him having learned any lessons that would lead to improvement. Reid's high water mark was the '94 season. That was 8 years ago. Belichik matched that mark just last year. Not to mentiong the fact that Belichik has actually closed the deal 3 times. In no way shape or form should Reid ever be compared to Belichik.

Belichick hasn't won a SB since got caught cheating (including against us)

Belichick has Tom Brady as his QB. That's the big variable here. The common thread is that we haven't had a top-tier QB since 2004.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (xsv @ Sep 24 2012, 04:59 PM) *
Best interest of the team, yes.

Yes, putting rookie QB's behind shit offensive lines typically goes really well.
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 24 2012, 06:07 PM) *
Yes, putting rookie QB's behind shit offensive lines typically goes really well.

see: Cleveland Browns since reinstatement. they had a good O-Line maybe 1-2 seasons
and it was wasted on the likes of Derek Anderson.

(I think Hank Fraley used to be part of that line)
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 24 2012, 10:04 PM) *
Belichick hasn't won a SB since got caught cheating (including against us)

Belichick has Tom Brady as his QB. That's the big variable here. The common thread is that we haven't had a top-tier QB since 2004.

We can play this game. Let's compare Reid to Belichik since '94 then. There is still no comparison. I have not looked this up but I think I can safely assume that the Patriots have had a much better win% in the regular season and the playoffs than Reid has had since '94, including an udefeated regular season and 2 SB appearances.

I agree that the Eagles do not now nor ever had a QB as good as Brady. However, nobody over the last 10 years has. Some QBs have stepped up and faded away in that time but only Brady has been at the top of the game since that first Patriot SB season. How did all of those other teams win a SB without Brady? Reid not being able to find a QB since 1999 to execute his ridiculous offensive philosophy is truly a testament of Reid as a coach\GM.
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Sep 24 2012, 06:18 PM) *
Reid not being able to find a QB since 1999 to execute his ridiculous offensive philosophy is truly a testament of Reid as a coach\GM.

that's because a QB that can actually execute that ridiculous offensive philosophy doesn't actually exist outside of Madden Create-A-Player.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Dr. Claw @ Sep 24 2012, 10:28 PM) *
that's because a QB that can actually execute that ridiculous offensive philosophy doesn't actually exist outside of Madden Create-A-Player.

laugh.gif

Agreement is off the charts!
BirdsWinBaby
AR cant bench Vick

he is coaching for his job. he needs wins and as many as he can get. he is no longer in a position to start a young player in the hopes of moving on to the next era of QB because he doesnt get a mulligan from Lurie for doing so

if Vick sucks, gets benched, Foles comes in, shows promise but we go 5-11 cuz he is a rook AR takes the hit.

AR didnt inherit Vick from another coach making him immune to backlash from the need to bench him. Vick only came here due to AR. Vick is still here with lots of Lurie's money because of AR. if he needs to be benched and we are left with Foles...its because of AR

its ride or die time
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Dr. Claw @ Sep 24 2012, 05:28 PM) *

You mean like a past-his-prime Jeff Garcia?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Sep 24 2012, 05:18 PM) *
We can play this game. Let's compare Reid to Belichik since '94 then. There is still no comparison. I have not looked this up but I think I can safely assume that the Patriots have had a much better win% in the regular season and the playoffs than Reid has had since '94, including an udefeated regular season and 2 SB appearances.

Tom Brady.

How about we do something different. How about we take a look at Belichick's record before Tom Brady came into his life. 41-57.

I agree that the Eagles do not now nor ever had a QB as good as Brady. However, nobody over the last 10 years has. Some QBs have stepped up and faded away in that time but only Brady has been at the top of the game since that first Patriot SB season. How did all of those other teams win a SB without Brady? Reid not being able to find a QB since 1999 to execute his ridiculous offensive philosophy is truly a testament of Reid as a coach\GM.

Yes, they didn't have Brady. They simply had Payton Manning, Eli Manning (who I don't believe is elite, but his undoubtedly clutch), Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, and Ben Roethlisberger.

Our offensive philosophy was fine before McNabb became fat and immobile. Kolb didn't pan out. That happens some times. Vick looked like he had turned the corner. Them betting on him was completely reasonable, given how impressive he looked in 2010 and how difficult it is to find a QB.
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 24 2012, 06:53 PM) *

not even Garcia is fit for true Andyball. eventually something ill fit to the scheme will show itself before too long.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 24 2012, 10:53 PM) *

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Dr. Claw @ Sep 24 2012, 06:25 PM) *
not even Garcia is fit for true Andyball. eventually something ill fit to the scheme will show itself before too long.

Or maybe Jeff Garcia is absolutely Andyball. The problem is that he hasn't had a QB capable of running a true WCO, so he has altered it for the guys he has.

Edit: To add to that, on paper Kolb is very similar to Garcia. And Andy thought he was going to be our QB of the future.
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 24 2012, 07:32 PM) *
Or maybe Jeff Garcia is absolutely Andyball. The problem is that he hasn't had a QB capable of running a true WCO, so he has altered it for the guys he has.

Edit: To add to that, on paper Kolb is very similar to Garcia. And Andy thought he was going to be our QB of the future.

keywords "on paper". A prime Jeff Garcia would be optimal. I liked him in SF. But that's not what we would have had in 2007. And eventually the dumb formations/playcalling would catch up with him. I can't think of a QB that plays like Jeff in today's NFL either, or really since.

Rodgers is the guy I'd actually trade Vick for today; he has experience playing behind a crappy O-Line and throwing all the time. But then again, the Packers WRs are of a different type than even the good bunch the Eagles have.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Dr. Claw @ Sep 24 2012, 06:39 PM) *
keywords "on paper". A prime Jeff Garcia would be optimal. I liked him in SF. But that's not what we would have had in 2007. And eventually the dumb formations/playcalling would catch up with him. I can't think of a QB that plays like Jeff in today's NFL either, or really since.

Right, it didn't work out but that's what Reid wanted/thought he was getting. I'm not quite sure how you can say "eventually the dumb formations..."

We won 5 straight games to end the season and a playoff game against our biggest rival.

Rodgers is the guy I'd actually trade Vick for today; he has experience playing behind a crappy O-Line and throwing all the time. But then again, the Packers WRs are of a different type than even the good bunch the Eagles have.

Really? You'd trade Vick for the best QB in football? Bold statement.
JeeQ
“Michael is our quarterback. Period. Michael is our quarterback,” Reid said, via Reuben Frank of CSNPhilly.com. “Listen, does he need to get better? Do we all need to get better? Yes.”
====================================

With that said.... 21 Hits on Sunday... the Giants D-Line being the most vicious in the NFL... You'll get your Foles era via the hard way

QUOTE (Dr. Claw @ Sep 24 2012, 03:28 PM) *

laugh.gif
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 24 2012, 07:45 PM) *
Right, it didn't work out but that's what Reid wanted/thought he was getting. I'm not quite sure how you can say "eventually the dumb formations..."

We won 5 straight games to end the season and a playoff game against our biggest rival.

Really? You'd trade Vick for the best QB in football? Bold statement.

Hardyharhar.

That aside, the Eagles fell short against the Saints right after beating the Giants. I do believe Garcia deserved a look based on his play but he wanted to start, and that wasn't going to happen.

Somehow, someway, I still believe that would have fallen apart under a full season's time playing under Andy/Marty. Would Jeff have survived until 2008-09, given the same berth as Vick? Not sure.

CT_Eagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 24 2012, 10:58 PM) *
How about we do something different. How about we take a look at Belichick's record before Tom Brady came into his life. 41-57.

I am guessing that a good chunk of that record included his time in Cleveland. Correct me if I am wrong. I am all in favor of allowing Reid the opportunity to follow in Belichik's foot steps and find success elsewhere since I think there is zero chance of it happening here.

Yes, they didn't have Brady. They simply had Payton Manning, Eli Manning (who I don't believe is elite, but his undoubtedly clutch), Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, and Ben Roethlisberger.

Look at all of those SB winning QBs that were developed during the Andy Reid error. If that is not an inictment on a coach that emphasizes the pass so much, I do not know what is.

Our offensive philosophy was fine before McNabb became fat and immobile. Kolb didn't pan out.

Since when is losing 3 NFC championship games and a SB "fine"? You and I have very different definitions of that word.

D Rock
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Sep 25 2012, 03:05 AM) *
I do not know what is.

Yes. This one.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Sep 24 2012, 09:05 PM) *
I am guessing that a good chunk of that record included his time in Cleveland. Correct me if I am wrong. I am all in favor of allowing Reid the opportunity to follow in Belichik's foot steps and find success elsewhere since I think there is zero chance of it happening here.

He was 5-13 in New England prior to Bledsoe getting hurt/Brady taking over.

Look at all of those SB winning QBs that were developed during the Andy Reid error. If that is not an inictment on a coach that emphasizes the pass so much, I do not know what is.

The average draft position of SB winning QB's since 2005 is like #11 or something like that. Acquiring a great QB isn't easy.

I'm not understanding your point here. You think the problem is that all of those other guys were developed by better coaches than Reid. And that's what we're missing?

Since when is losing 3 NFC championship games and a SB "fine"? You and I have very different definitions of that word.

If you think we lost those games because of our offensive philosophy, you weren't paying too close attention.

How many years do you believe we were the most talented team in football? From my perspective, our best team under Reid was 2002. Donovan breaking his leg is the reason we lost that season, not our offensive philosophy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.