Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Juan Castillo
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Phits
I was not a supporter of moving Juan from OL coach to DC, especially considering I never felt he did that great of a job as the coordinator for the OL. I thought of all the bone headed decisions Andy Reid has made, this was the top of the charts. Even as the defense started rounding into form late last season i chalked it up to the remaining schedule and the level of play being fools gold. However, after playing 1/8 of our regular season schedule I feel "phit" to eat my words and say that AR's decision to promote from within was a good one. His decision to surround his inexperienced DC with talent and solid coaches was key to making JC look more seasoned than he is. I know it's early but this defense is playing spectacular football and Juan deserves some acknowledgement.

I applaud AR for sticking to his guns and not shit canning JC after last season, even though he would have appeared to be justified and would probably have pacified the rabid fan base.

Good job Coach Reid.
Great job Coach Castillo.

cheers.gif
Birdman420
Yes i totally agree 100%

Props to Juan for not listening to critics and doing his job well
Eyrie
I'm not prepared to go that far after only two games, but the early signs are certainly promising.
mcnabbulous
Good post, Phits. I'm glad that Juan has the LB's to give his system a chance to work (and that our FO recognized that our LB crew from last year was unacceptable.)

I still think this is a Jim Washburn defense, in the sense that the wide-9 is what drives things, but I like the simplicity. Hit the QB early and often.
xsv
Personally, I think the credit probably should go to Bowles, but It hasn't been the train wreak it could have been.
Reality Fan
I think Bowles has had a very positive effect, I think the LBs have helped tremendously.......but you could say the same for most coordinators....if you don't have a good staff and competent players you cant succeed. Juan has, if nothing else, been a good "coordinator".

That being said......where are all the Spags guys? He is really running a record setting defense in NO.........just not the kind of records you want to have....lol
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Phits @ Sep 19 2012, 09:53 AM) *
I was not a supporter of moving Juan from OL coach to DC, especially considering I never felt he did that great of a job as the coordinator for the OL. I thought of all the bone headed decisions Andy Reid has made, this was the top of the charts. Even as the defense started rounding into form late last season i chalked it up to the remaining schedule and the level of play being fools gold. However, after playing 1/8 of our regular season schedule I feel "phit" to eat my words and say that AR's decision to promote from within was a good one. His decision to surround his inexperienced DC with talent and solid coaches was key to making JC look more seasoned than he is. I know it's early but this defense is playing spectacular football and Juan deserves some acknowledgement.

I applaud AR for sticking to his guns and not shit canning JC after last season, even though he would have appeared to be justified and would probably have pacified the rabid fan base.

Good job Coach Reid.
Great job Coach Castillo.

cheers.gif

When the defense does well, the DC has to deserve credit. It's only 2 games in, but for now I like what I see
mcnabbulous
I'm not so sure we're seeing anything much different than guys capable of making plays. Specifically Ryans/Kendricks.

Here is this week's all-22 defense by Sheil Kapadia which shows how dependent our defense is on guys making one-on-one tackles.

http://www.phillymag.com/eagles/2012/09/19...gles-defense-2/
koolaidluke
Last year his D was top 10, so the only real difference this year is that so far we are winning games.

I think the guy who has really changed this D's attitude is Bowles. He may be the MVP of our coaching staff.
D Rock
Bowles? Castillo? Nope.

The difference is that we finally have 2 legitimate linebackers on the team.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 20 2012, 10:50 AM) *
I'm not so sure we're seeing anything much different than guys capable of making plays. Specifically Ryans/Kendricks.

Here is this week's all-22 defense by Sheil Kapadia which shows how dependent our defense is on guys making one-on-one tackles.

http://www.phillymag.com/eagles/2012/09/19...gles-defense-2/

yes....it is called the wide nine.......nice of Sheil to notice that finally......where did this guy get his job? He knew almost nothing about football when he started doing it and is slightly better now yet people point to him like he is the Yoda of football....never understood it and never will.......I tried to read his stuff on Philly.com because I try to read all things related to the Eagles but his stuff was just so bad.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 20 2012, 07:21 PM) *
yes....it is called the wide nine.......nice of Sheil to notice that finally......where did this guy get his job? He knew almost nothing about football when he started doing it and is slightly better now yet people point to him like he is the Yoda of football....never understood it and never will.......I tried to read his stuff on Philly.com because I try to read all things related to the Eagles but his stuff was just so bad.

I'm not sure what your point is. I don't think anyone is questioning what caused the holes. The difference this year is that we have guys that are capable of making the plays when they're needed to do so.

Juan would look no better this year if Ryans whiffed on that tackle. Last year, Chaney was whiffing on those tackles.

As for Kapadia, I don't think his stuff is earth shattering. I'd say it's relatively elementary, but he does a nice job of pointing stuff out. The new all-22 stuff definitely allows for some nice new angles. Frankly, I still think IBM does the best work when he chooses to post.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 20 2012, 08:40 PM) *
I'm not sure what your point is. I don't think anyone is questioning what caused the holes. The difference this year is that we have guys that are capable of making the plays when they're needed to do so.

Juan would look no better this year if Ryans whiffed on that tackle. Last year, Chaney was whiffing on those tackles.

As for Kapadia, I don't think his stuff is earth shattering. I'd say it's relatively elementary, but he does a nice job of pointing stuff out. The new all-22 stuff definitely allows for some nice new angles. Frankly, I still think IBM does the best work when he chooses to post.

my point was that your post stated how this D was "dependent on guys making one on one tackles" and that is a typical SK article, the wide nine puts the LBs and safeties in position to make the tackles. This year it is not just the 2 LBs either. Nate Allen has been a beast, Boykin has played very well, the entire back 7 has generally played very well.

I guess I just can't stand SK because this is all he does and he still blows at it.....he points out some of the dumbest things and when I read his articles he tries to sound like he is an expert but he is more like koolaidluke.....lol

and the difference with Juan this year has been his game planning and his in game adjustments......not just the LBs tackling.
Rick
I have also been criticizing Castillo. I can't say we're perfect after just 2 games but we certainly look better. Whatever reason it is, I still have to give the DC some of the credit as well. He's done a much better job than I thought he would. I'm pleased with the defense so far.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.