Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What a difference real linebackers make
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Wow ... Kendricks and Ryans. One to go.
koolaidluke
Our run D was pretty good at the end of last year too, but it wasn't this dominant. Jordan is a good LB but having two star linebackers is a huge help.

This is the best LB corps of the Reid era.
Reality Fan
Ryans is a breath of fresh air.........no question and Kendrichs is the real deal.....they finally got serious about talent there. Has anyone noticed that neither comes off the field?
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Sep 16 2012, 11:57 PM) *
Our run D was pretty good at the end of last year too, but it wasn't this dominant. Jordan is a good LB but having two star linebackers is a huge help.

This is the best LB corps of the Reid era.

I too have been happy with the play of our linebackers but our rush defense has not been good so far this year. As of right now they are giving up 4.9 YPC. That is too high.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Sep 16 2012, 07:49 PM) *
I too have been happy with the play of our linebackers but our rush defense has not been good so far this year. As of right now they are giving up 4.9 YPC. That is too high.

They gave up a big play, which skews the numbers. More importantly, our focus is stopping the pass. Stopping the run is an after thought, which has been pretty solid. Bitching about any element of our defense at this point is grasping. The unit, especially Ryans, has been a pleasure to watch.
mcnabbulous
Dupe
Reality Fan
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Sep 16 2012, 08:49 PM) *

I think that is a little skewed by Rice's first half but yes, it is too high
CT_Eagle
That 4.9 YPC I cited is for the season, not just today's game.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Sep 16 2012, 08:11 PM) *
That 4.9 YPC I cited is for the season, not just today's game.

It's been 2 games. Small sample size. If you take the one big run away, Baltimore had 20 carries for 68 yards.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 17 2012, 02:16 AM) *
It's been 2 games. Small sample size. If you take the one big run away, Baltimore had 20 carries for 68 yards.

I like the "if you take the one big run away" line. Sort of like if you take away Maclin's 23 yard reception, the Ravens win. biggrin.gif

You can play with the data all you want, at the end of the day the Eagles have not been very good at stopping the run and they have not been dominate as koolaidluke stated. That is the post I was responding to.

I agree it is only two weeks and this average could go down as the season goes on. It could be the wide 9 leads leads to a higher than average YPC. I have never closely followed a team that ran a wide 9 before so I don't know the norm. (Last year's D sucked so I am not using that as a reference)

All trends start somewhere and the YPC being given up by the D is something I will be watching closely over the next couple of weeks.
mcnabbulous
My bigger point is related to us being a pass defense first team. We'll gladly give up some yards on the ground if it means QB's will spend the second half scared to play against us.
CT_Eagle
I am all for the QB being scared to play against us. I just don't know how giving up some yards on the ground puts that fear into the QB.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Sep 16 2012, 08:37 PM) *
I am all for the QB being scared to play against us. I just don't know how giving up some yards on the ground puts that fear into the QB.

Because the focus is getting to the QB. They do that and open themselves up to some running lanes. It's pretty simple to see just by watching the defense.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 17 2012, 02:43 AM) *
Because the focus is getting to the QB. They do that and open themselves up to some running lanes. It's pretty simple to see just by watching the defense.

That works great as long as we are playing with a lead. It doesn't work so well if the opponent has the lead.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Sep 16 2012, 09:29 PM) *
I like the "if you take the one big run away" line. Sort of like if you take away Maclin's 23 yard reception, the Ravens win. biggrin.gif

You can play with the data all you want, at the end of the day the Eagles have not been very good at stopping the run and they have not been dominate as koolaidluke stated. That is the post I was responding to.

I agree it is only two weeks and this average could go down as the season goes on. It could be the wide 9 leads leads to a higher than average YPC. I have never closely followed a team that ran a wide 9 before so I don't know the norm. (Last year's D sucked so I am not using that as a reference)

All trends start somewhere and the YPC being given up by the D is something I will be watching closely over the next couple of weeks.

not really......it all depends on what happens during the drive after the long run and most importantly what they do after that long run......today was a great example.....what did Ray Rice do in the 2nd half? something like 9 carries for 21 yards......see how that works....it still looks like he was a monster all game but they adjusted and he averaged just over 2 yds per carry....
Jerome Brown Experience
I'm missing any problems with the defense. We have had 9 turnovers this season in two games and have won a road game and a game against the team many have had as the best in the league.

Seriously people, you're pooping on yourself trying to find the negative on the defensive side of the ball.
Reality Fan
I am interested to see how good they get....I mean they are young.........they may get to be much better......that is a happy thought..
CT_Eagle
[font="Comic Sans MS"][/font]
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 17 2012, 02:52 AM) *
not really......it all depends on what happens during the drive after the long run and most importantly what they do after that long run......today was a great example.....what did Ray Rice do in the 2nd half? something like 9 carries for 21 yards......see how that works....it still looks like he was a monster all game but they adjusted and he averaged just over 2 yds per carry....

Again, I am pointing to a 4.9 YPC average as a potential problem and not being dominant. You guys can cherry pick the data all you want. A 4.9 YPC is not dominant and it is not good. I really don't see why anyone would go through the bother of selecting which runs count in order to make the the run D in the first two games look better than it was. It is OK to say there may be a potential problem there. Hopefully there is not and this number goes down.

You guys keep throwing data up to counter a point I never made.

CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Jerome Brown Experience @ Sep 17 2012, 03:00 AM) *
I'm missing any problems with the defense. We have had 9 turnovers this season in two games and have won a road game and a game against the team many have had as the best in the league.

Seriously people, you're pooping on yourself trying to find the negative on the defensive side of the ball.

Nobody is pooping on themselves. I just didn't agree with the descripition of the run defense as being dominant.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Sep 16 2012, 08:47 PM) *
That works great as long as we are playing with a lead. It doesn't work so well if the opponent has the lead.

Then the focus changes. It's a passing league, so that's where we have put our focus. It's pretty simple. If we needed to shut down the run, in the situation you suggested, we would likely alter the Dline approach.
Like I said, we are willing to give up some rushing yards if it means QBs are going to have a 35 passer rating against us.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 17 2012, 02:19 AM) *
Then the focus changes. It's a passing league, so that's where we have put our focus. It's pretty simple. If we needed to shut down the run, in the situation you suggested, we would likely alter the Dline approach.
Like I said, we are willing to give up some rushing yards if it means QBs are going to have a 35 passer rating against us.

Good luck with making that adjustment if the 4.9 YPC turns out to be a real problem and not just the result of a small sample size.

As RF pointed out in an earlier post, the D did a good job in the 2nd half vs. the run. Hopefully that is a better indicator of the overall effectiveness vs the run than the entire 8 quarters of this season of shown.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Sep 16 2012, 09:25 PM) *
Good luck with making that adjustment if the 4.9 YPC turns out to be a real problem and not just the result of a small sample size.

As RF pointed out in an earlier post, the D did a good job in the 2nd half vs. the run. Hopefully that is a better indicator of the overall effectiveness vs the run than the entire 8 quarters of this season of shown.

The 4.9 is a product of small sample size and not focusing on run defense. I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall.
D Rock
This defense is playing lights out. With the o caughing up the ball like a hot p'tater at every turn, we're easily 0 & 2 without this defensive performance. Complaining about it is plumb crazy.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 17 2012, 03:27 AM) *
The 4.9 is a product of small sample size and not focusing on run defense. I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall.

Repeating what I just said as a counter to my own point will make you feel like your banging your head against the wall. I already stated in a couple of posts that the 4.9 could be because of the small sample size and hopefully goes down as the season progresses. You keep bringing it up in spite of my already saying stating the same thing.

Bang away. biggrin.gif
koolaidluke
I think that the Eagles get so many stuffs and TFLs that it makes them appear dominant than they statistically are.

It certainly doesn't feel like we are getting gnashed on the ground, but I guess we are.

By the way, if you had told me before the season that we would be allowing over 4.5 yards per carry over the first two games I'd be thinking it meant that our D had regressed to early 2011 form.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Sep 17 2012, 07:06 AM) *
I think that the Eagles get so many stuffs and TFLs that it makes them appear dominant than they statistically are.

It certainly doesn't feel like we are getting gnashed on the ground, but I guess we are.

By the way, if you had told me before the season that we would be allowing over 4.5 yards per carry over the first two games I'd be thinking it meant that our D had regressed to early 2011 form.

I think you should trust your eyes. Our run defense has been solid.

Complaining about giving up 4.9 yards per carry would be similar to the Ravens congratulating themselves for holding Maclin to one catch yesterday, while giving up 15 to Celek and Jackson.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.