Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does anybody here think the Eagles will win?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
koolaidluke
I think it would be cool if everybody here expected the Eagles to lose on Sunday. I don't think that has happened in the history of this board.

I really don't see how we can win this game.
nephillymike
We're 2 1/2 point favorites.

Historically, home favs of that magnitude have won the game over 60% of the time.

If you want a silver lining. The Ravens have a better run defense than passing defense which should lend itself to a better fit for our chuck and duck offense, as opposed to last week where the Browns 2nd rated pass defense was better suited for the chuck and duck. Unless you think Reid will revert back to the 3 yds and a cloud of dust offense that he has used.............never, we should at least have offensive compatibility vs. the Ravens.

While I would not bet the Iggs - 2.5, I think the odds are 50-50 on a win.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 15 2012, 05:52 AM) *
We're 2 1/2 point favorites.

Historically, home favs of that magnitude have won the game over 60% of the time.

If you want a silver lining. The Ravens have a better run defense than passing defense which should lend itself to a better fit for our chuck and duck offense, as opposed to last week where the Browns 2nd rated pass defense was better suited for the chuck and duck. Unless you think Reid will revert back to the 3 yds and a cloud of dust offense that he has used.............never, we should at least have offensive compatibility vs. the Ravens.

While I would not bet the Iggs - 2.5, I think the odds are 50-50 on a win.

we can win because this is who Mike Vick is....being inconsistent means that occasionally from the depths of suckatude, a team-carrying good performance can arise

we saw some of it last week in the final drive, we saw it in that comeback win against the giants in 2010, etc...

Vick is coming off a game where he left people wondering if he is done, and im sure he is desperate to prove them wrong. since the ravens are coming off a good win they may not be ready for Vick when he says, "i dont suck...watch this haterz"

of course he might very well follow that up with another suckfest but again, thats Mike Vick.
make_it_rain
The ONLY thing that makes me think the Eagles have a chance is that this has the makings of a classic "NFL Trap Game" written all over it. To many, this seems like the surest bet of the week but I wouldn't touch this game with a ten foot pole.

• Home team looking shaky after a miserable start to a shit team? Check
  • Visitor team looking really impressive after dominating on Monday night? Check
  • A strange line that has acutally moved in the home team's favor? Check
  • 90% of the public taking the team that "should" win? Check

Historically, many times I've seen a game that has characteristics similar to this the team that shouldn't have won pulls it out. Do I think that will happen tomorrow? Not really, I think overall Baltimore is the better team. But, I do agree that people are over-reacting a bit to the week 1 flop in Cleveland, as well as Baltimore dismantling Cincinatti in primetime.
D Rock
Eagles win this one. 31-16

You heard it here first.
Mr. Bonko

I have never been more sure about an Eagles loss than this game. In fact, I have never been so sure about any NFL game. I am so sure that I have wagered far more than I can afford to lose. I split the bet into two -- one bet taking the 2.5 points and one bet on the money line. I'm talking about a total wager amount that will affect how soon I can retire by a couple of years.

But I still hope they win. They will probably kill me before I retire anyway.
Reality Fan
While I have not wagered a life altering amount I did go 250 minus the points....and I did it for several reasons.....first and foremost was I watched the Raven's game.....while Flacco was not bad he was the benefactor of multiple terrific catches ala the jump ball he threw to his TE for a TD.....the Bengals looked done about half way through the 2nd quarter.....the depth of the Eagle's D line won't have that problem and the Eagles generate a lot of pressure from their front 4 alone, the Bengals did not.....they needed to blitz.

The Raven's D is good but it is not the Raven's D from 2 years ago or even last year......Suggs is out and Kruger has a bad back.......Lewis is still a stud but he can't make up for everything. They allowed over 100 rushing yards against a bad offense with no great RBs and a shaky O line.......

and it is definitely a trap game.......

and I consulted 3 professional degenerate gambler/bookies......lol They were unequivocal in their advice....bet the Eagles and bet big.......just my 2 cents

Bocadelphia Eagles John
Why would it be cool to have a unanimous expectation we'll lose ?

I have to say that despite the way last Sunday went for us for most of the game, I am impressed with Vick's attitude. That 91 yard drive to seal the win in the closing stages of the game clock showed me something. And if you heard any of the sound bites of his expressions prior to that drive, he showed leadership. That is, he showed an "I can (we will)" mentality. Defeat was not on his radar.

We're at home. It'll be a touch game that is for sure. But darn it all, are you telling me the Ravens are unbeatable ?

We have a hugely talented roster and I'm expecting a win. No way will I expect a loss with this one. And that does not mean any disrespect at all towards the Ravens. They are definately a team to prepare well for and play against at a high level.

One thing I absolutely DO expect is that it should be one helluva game to sit through at the sports bar. Sure wish I could be there in person.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EAGLES !!!!!!

Mr. Bonko
QUOTE (Bocadelphia Eagles John @ Sep 15 2012, 12:47 PM) *
But darn it all, are you telling me the Ravens are unbeatable ?

No, just telling you it is impossible for the Eagles to beat them tomorrow.

Six words.

King Dunlap.
Mike Vick.
Andy Reid.
mcnabbulous
Early NFL season anything can happen. Mike Vick is capable of beating any team in football, or losing to any team in football.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 15 2012, 01:17 PM) *
Early NFL season anything can happen. Mike Vick is capable of beating any team in football, or losing to any team in football.

a perfect description
nephillymike
This is the old "the line is telling me something" game.

The theory goes like this.

When the line seems out of whack and a shoe in for team B, bet heavily on Team A.

Thus, the degenerate RF bet the Birds.

I however could bet the Ravens to guarantee an Eagles win and cover, but I will not take one for the team.

Schleprock is staying away from this game.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 15 2012, 06:17 PM) *

yup.

Re: Betting. I have not bet for or against our birds this century. I bet NFL, but I stay well clear of the iggles and the books.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 15 2012, 02:47 PM) *
This is the old "the line is telling me something" game.

The theory goes like this.

When the line seems out of whack and a shoe in for team B, bet heavily on Team A.

Thus, the degenerate RF bet the Birds.

I however could bet the Ravens to guarantee an Eagles win and cover, but I will not take one for the team.

Schleprock is staying away from this game.

Mikey.........I am hurt...lol

while I may occasionally keep the company of a bookie or 3 I rarely bet....but they have terrific parties and one is a very close friend and owns a bar so I tend to visit it for my libations but not my wagers........I only bet when I see a chance to make my money back with relative ease and in the betting world this game is shooting off serious flares.......or as the bookies put, the game is already decided.......Vegas knows who will win the game.....lol

I am a bit shocked that you didn't toftt.....how selfish.... blah.gif
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 15 2012, 03:39 PM) *
Mikey.........I am hurt...lol

while I may occasionally keep the company of a bookie or 3 I rarely bet....but they have terrific parties and one is a very close friend and owns a bar so I tend to visit it for my libations but not my wagers........I only bet when I see a chance to make my money back with relative ease and in the betting world this game is shooting off serious flares.......or as the bookies put, the game is already decided.......Vegas knows who will win the game.....lol

I am a bit shocked that you didn't toftt.....how selfish.... blah.gif

I've had a "sports broker" for many years. He claims I've been with him the longest, so I don't know if it's good or bad. I don't bet much, just a little. Did the other regulars "disappear"? Are they sleeping with the fishes?? He's actually a guy I played softball with's brother. I haven't set aside the time to study the lines this year yet. Maybe next week I'll start up betting a few games. I know him well enough and trust him enough that I only settle up plus or minus once a year and many years not even then, I'll roll the good or bad into the next year. I just saw him a few weeks ago and he's driving a real nice high end SUV so I guess business is good.

I wonder how much money they really make. I never talked his business with him, but I know he runs card games once in a while. Probably much less since the Parx has poker. Always has to change his cell number. Any idea how much your guy makes? I always thought they had a network and were able to sell off bets to books in other cities. You know, if we're playing the Skins, take a good portion of Eagles bets and sell them to a Wash book for a good portion of Skins bets, so at the end of the day, it's even money on both sides and nothing but pure 10% vig profit. But in talking to him, I know they can't do that often and do have big exposure on some games. Also, some of the betting is close to game time so not much time to figure it out ahead.
koolaidluke
This board is way more optimistic about the Eagles chances than I realized.

I don't think the Eagles can beat the Ravens. I have no prob with the Ravens not being as good as they looked against the Bengals, but Vick was so terrible against the Browns that I have lost all faith in him. It was that "should be" interception on the last drive that killed me.

I am not in the "Vick sucks" camp, but I have lost all confidence in him. It used to be I believed in Vick but doubted his ability to stay health along with our defense. But I feel pretty good about our D and Vick should be able to go 13 games. But none of that will matter if he tosses 4 picks a game. Given that Vick averaged well over a pick a game last year we can be sure that interceptions are as big a part of Vick's game as getting hurt is.

One other thing, interception prone QBs tend to totally implode against top passing D's. Like for example, the Ravens.
Dreagon
The Ravens are damned good, but a lot of people picked the Eagles to win the NFC East so ya'll must be pretty good too. I think it's certainly within Philly's abilities to win this game. I think that it's just that yall had a bad game last week (but you won) and are a little spooked.

It will be interesting though to see how ya'll handle such a leap in difficulty from the Browns to the Ravens.
Mr. Bonko
Shocked.it is this.close at half.
Mr. Bonko
Shocked.it is this.close at half.
Jerome Brown Experience
Yes, and I have an erection right now that may last for about a month.

On this day Brandon Boykins, Mychael Hendricks, Fletcher Cox and our entire O-line became men.

Fuck. Yes.

Dreagon
I told you guys you could win. It just wasn't as sure a thing as it was against Cleveland.

Now I'm watching Dallas screw up all over the field against Seattle. Apparently this week is our turn for turnovers. One interception, one fumble, one blocked punt returned against us for a TD, and all in the first quarter. Bleck!

And with you guys winning, the Giants winning, and Washington looking like they could win again...there just ain't room for screwing up in this division.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 15 2012, 06:36 PM) *
I've had a "sports broker" for many years. He claims I've been with him the longest, so I don't know if it's good or bad. I don't bet much, just a little. Did the other regulars "disappear"? Are they sleeping with the fishes?? He's actually a guy I played softball with's brother. I haven't set aside the time to study the lines this year yet. Maybe next week I'll start up betting a few games. I know him well enough and trust him enough that I only settle up plus or minus once a year and many years not even then, I'll roll the good or bad into the next year. I just saw him a few weeks ago and he's driving a real nice high end SUV so I guess business is good.

I wonder how much money they really make. I never talked his business with him, but I know he runs card games once in a while. Probably much less since the Parx has poker. Always has to change his cell number. Any idea how much your guy makes? I always thought they had a network and were able to sell off bets to books in other cities. You know, if we're playing the Skins, take a good portion of Eagles bets and sell them to a Wash book for a good portion of Skins bets, so at the end of the day, it's even money on both sides and nothing but pure 10% vig profit. But in talking to him, I know they can't do that often and do have big exposure on some games. Also, some of the betting is close to game time so not much time to figure it out ahead.

I have found with my friends that the smart ones, the ones who take it seriously and dispassionately make a fortune but the ones who are a little less disciplined feast or famine.....I remember one having a box in his basement with 80K in it and 6 weeks later it was down to 20k......of the 3 one is small time as a side deal, one is doing ok but blows the money he makes but the third is big time and he does very, very well....he takes the big bets and he still lays a lot off to his boys.

all that being said this was the best 250 I have ever lost.....

koolaidluke
Somebody obviously hacked into my account this week and created this absurd topic. I was in Japan on business and did not have access to the internet.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
QUOTE (Mr. Bonko @ Sep 15 2012, 12:58 PM) *
No, just telling you it is impossible for the Eagles to beat them tomorrow.

Six words.

King Dunlap.
Mike Vick.
Andy Reid.

Oh, really ?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Sep 16 2012, 04:02 PM) *
Somebody obviously hacked into my account this week and created this absurd topic. I was in Japan on business and did not have access to the internet.

+1
D Rock
Closer than I guessed, but I was the first to call the win. I'm awesome.
Mr. Bonko
QUOTE (D Rock @ Sep 16 2012, 11:25 PM) *
Closer than I guessed, but I was the first to call the win. I'm awesome.

thank god i split the bet between the meney line and taking the points. i came out ahead and we won
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.