Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where to go from here?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
We beat the consensus worst team in the NFL by a point.

Our "star" Qb throws four INT and carelessly throws about six more up for grabs.

Our offensive guru, Andy Reid, fails to see that when your QB sucks like ours did, you rely on te best guy on the field, McCoy, to move the ball. Last two drives, empty backfields, no protection, few carries for McCoy and a few balls that should have been INT. All in a days work.

I guess a 31-17 win is the same record as a 17-16 win, but damn. UGLY.

We get Balt on one day less rest at the Linc next week.

Wil be there to see it and they better play better or the "boobirds" will be out.

Tied for first Babeee.....................................
SAM I Am
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 9 2012, 04:52 PM) *

Our "star" Qb throws four INT and carelessly throws about six more up for grabs.

Our offensive guru, Andy Reid, fails to see that when your QB sucks like ours did, you rely on te best guy on the field, McCoy, to move the ball. Last two drives, empty backfields, no protection, few carries for McCoy and a few balls that should have been INT. All in a days work.

Wil be there to see it and they better play better or the "boobirds" will be out.

As "they" say, a win is a win.

Sorry "they", but that one doesn't work for me today.
md717

Aren't we tied for 2nd? The 'Boys have a division win.
Dr. Claw

Vick was pretty bad with all the throws toward LBs and of course the INTs.

But whoever was calling the plays on offense... needs to be throttled. It shouldn't have taken 4 picks from Vick, 50 something pass attempts to start running the ball. Hilarious that Shady McCoy has ONE turnover and they gave up and kept chucking it. Play-action passes. The CLE Defense didn't have to even respect the run.

That being said, that defense was freakin' awesome. See how different that secondary is now? How different the LINEBACKERS play?

I'm glad for a win, but I am GLAD that's over.

Go Eagles.
koolaidluke
worst win ever but just the first game of the season. Maybe they will improve with time.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Dr. Claw @ Sep 9 2012, 05:01 PM) *
Vick was pretty bad with all the throws toward LBs and of course the INTs.

But whoever was calling the plays on offense... needs to be throttled. It shouldn't have taken 4 picks from Vick, 50 something pass attempts to start running the ball. Hilarious that Shady McCoy has ONE turnover and they gave up and kept chucking it. Play-action passes. The CLE Defense didn't have to even respect the run.

That being said, that defense was freakin' awesome. See how different that secondary is now? How different the LINEBACKERS play?

I'm glad for a win, but I am GLAD that's over.

Go Eagles.

very well said...........I can't wait to hear about how Ryans played.......guess he isn't that bad after all....
Reality Fan

as usual.....lol

like the "boobirds need a reason to be out?

it was an ugly game on the offensive side of the ball but the D was near great. How about how that LB who lost a step and was confused behind the wide nine? Ryans looked pretty damn good for all the confusion......

typical Eagles against bad opponents....

If I am Reid I pull Marty aside and beat the shit out of him....he had the worst day on the team with Vick a close 2nd.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Dr. Claw @ Sep 9 2012, 10:01 PM) *

I am not sold on this defense yet. They got the job today but they were facing a very poor Cleveland offense with a rookie QB making his first start. I liked what I saw and without the effort on D, this game is a loss. The linebackers looked better and Ryans had a great debut in Eagle's green. Cromartie looked very good as well. I am not sold on the safeties yet.

Baltimore's offense will pose a greater challenge so I am really looking forward to seeing how the D holds up next week.

CT_Eagle
double post
JeeQ
First, hats off to Juan Castillo. The defense played a masterful game today and won it for us. No TDs were scored while our defense was on the field and 5 turnovers didn't do them any favors.

Offense showed the exact same problems from last season. That now falls on the coaching. Why have they learned absolutely nothing from last year? Why is the 3rd down play-calling still dreadful? 56 pass plays? Way to mix it up. The yellow penalty flags received more screen time then our team in the Redzone. Penalty, turnover, penalty, turnover, penalty, turnover. Our offense doesn't need to be great. It just has to be acceptable, and we have more then enough talent to do that. Andy, Vick, it's do or die time.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Sep 9 2012, 07:21 PM) *
I am not sold on this defense yet. They got the job today but they were facing a very poor Cleveland offense with a rookie QB making his first start. I liked what I saw and without the effort on D, this game is a loss. The linebackers looked better and Ryans had a great debut in Eagle's green. Cromartie looked very good as well. I am not sold on the safeties yet.

Baltimore's offense will pose a greater challenge so I am really looking forward to seeing how the D holds up next week.

the good news is there is a lot of tape on Baltimore and Rice and Flacco....the Eagles are notoriously bad against rookies and nobodies for whatever reason........remember Joe Webb?

and they always seem to have played down to their opponent....terrible game
Reality Fan
and 456 yards of offense for 17 points...fire Marty tomorrow...hell...do it tonight
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 9 2012, 07:16 PM) *
typical Eagles against bad opponents....

If I am Reid I pull Marty aside and beat the shit out of him....he had the worst day on the team with Vick a close 2nd.

agreed... remember the Raiders game, when the Eagles, with a healthy B-West, was defeated by Jamarcus Russell and Zach Miller?

or last year against Arizona?

countless other examples.

For some reason, when the Eagles have trouble offensively, they never adjust... until it's too late.

BirdsWinBaby
our D looked great

against a team with the rare combo of nobody at QB/RB/WR/TE

uh huh
Pbfan
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 9 2012, 06:51 PM) *
and 456 yards of offense for 17 points...fire Marty tomorrow...hell...do it tonight

He wasn't the problem
Reality Fan
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Sep 9 2012, 09:46 PM) *
our D looked great

against a team with the rare combo of nobody at QB/RB/WR/TE

uh huh

and how many times has that added up to disaster?
Phits
QUOTE (Pbfan @ Sep 9 2012, 11:23 PM) *
He wasn't the problem

he sure is.....
Dreagon
Where to go from here? Home to face the Ravens.

You beat a team you were supposed to beat, even if it was ugly. You got to shake a bunch of preseason rust off, and do it against a team that you could beat while doing it. Consider it a tune up game.

Next week is going to be extremely interesting. I'm really curious to see how each team in the NFC East responds after their first game. That will tell us more about the teams than just the first game itself...

...although watching RGIII today made me realize our division probably just got a whole lot tougher.

Phits
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Sep 10 2012, 12:24 AM) *
...although watching RGIII today made me realize our division probably just got a whole lot tougher.

I'm hoping that was just an anomaly.
D Rock
The saints d is as bad as Cleveland's offense. And Marty didn't toss 4 (should a been 6) ints. You can't blame marty when the qb is throwing into double and triple coverage with guys running wide open on the other side of the field. That dog shit offensive performance was 100% on Vick. We all know you hate the coaching staff. But this deuce in pants job aint on them.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (D Rock @ Sep 10 2012, 05:46 AM) *
The saints d is as bad as Cleveland's offense. And Marty didn't toss 4 (should a been 6) ints. You can't blame marty when the qb is throwing into double and triple coverage with guys running wide open on the other side of the field. That dog shit offensive performance was 100% on Vick. We all know you hate the coaching staff. But this deuce in pants job aint on them.

The playcalling was still horrendous. I realize QBs are going to throw interceptions, it is part of the game. But as a playcaller, you have to realize that when your QB is looking like dog shit you turn to your running game. Vick looked absolutely horrible throughout the entire game. Somewhere along line the play calling should have shifted to McCoy.
mcnabbulous
You could at least make an argument that the coaches were treating the game like a much needed 5th preseason game for Vick. He got no time in the preseason and you simply can't simulate things in practice.

That last int was one of the worst I've ever seen, but it's good that he was getting those reps against a live defense in a game situation. It's not going to get easier.

With all that said, the loss of Peters is as devastating as expected. Our OLine looks overmatched and he clearly made Mathis much better.
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 10 2012, 08:19 AM) *
With all that said, the loss of Peters is as devastating as expected. Our OLine looks overmatched and he clearly made Mathis much better.

yes. Jason Peters made the rest of that line look WAY better than they were. and to think, at one point (shortly after he became an Eagle) we used to complain about him. ah well.
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Sep 10 2012, 07:54 AM) *
The playcalling was still horrendous. I realize QBs are going to throw interceptions, it is part of the game. But as a playcaller, you have to realize that when your QB is looking like dog shit you turn to your running game. Vick looked absolutely horrible throughout the entire game. Somewhere along line the play calling should have shifted to McCoy.

it did, in the 4th (which was way too close for comfort).

but while I'm not giving Vick a pass for throwing 4 (and possibly could have been 6) INTs, in true 2010 Eli fashion... Andy and Marty don't get a pass either, for that "Raider Game" game plan. that game is still one of the biggest non-playoff debacles of the Reid era, losing to a super-slow Jamarcus Russell and Zach Miller because the answer to pass plays that weren't working, was certainly more pass plays.

JeeQ
QUOTE (Dr. Claw @ Sep 10 2012, 08:53 AM) *
yes. Jason Peters made the rest of that line look WAY better than they were. and to think, at one point (shortly after he became an Eagle) we used to complain about him. ah well.

I was in that camp when he first got here and was Jason "Penalty" Peters. Never saw so many false starts from one player. But once he got a hold of the system he quickly became dare I say a Top 5 lineman in the league and possibly the best currently playing at his position. Shady's going to miss him more then anyone.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Dr. Claw @ Sep 10 2012, 12:37 PM) *
the answer to pass plays that weren't working, was certainly more pass plays.

As Westbrook had 6 carries for 50 yards to boot.....
Eaglefanfem
As disgusting as this win was it's still a win, the only thing that kept this from going too far south was the fact that the defense did their job for the most part much improved from last year. And that the Brown lets face it suck worse than we do. Hopefully we improve and fix mistakes....BTW The refs SUCK!!!! can we get this fix for crying out loud, they are letting an amazing product look ridiculous by penalties that aren't there.

E-A-G-L-E-S-EAGLES!!!!
Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Sep 10 2012, 12:46 AM) *

I disagree completely. I agree Vick had a terrible day but it was compounded by an offensive coordinator that ignored the fact that Cleveland was blitz happy and did nothing to call plays to put Cleveland on its heels. Had the mixed runs in Cleveland would have had to respect play action but he didn't and that is on Marty. So many people here are pointing to 2 or 3 terrible decisions by Vick to throw into coverage and using that as if he did it every play. In the 50+ passes he threw 5 terrible balls, 2 of which were intercepted.
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 10 2012, 11:01 PM) *
I disagree completely. I agree Vick had a terrible day but it was compounded by an offensive coordinator that ignored the fact that Cleveland was blitz happy

Isn't that cute?

Unfortunately for your point, Vick's ints were all against straight up 4 man rushes (read: No Blitz on his INTs in fact, at least 2 came from his cleanest pockets all night).

Detailed Breakdown of Vick's INTs

(p.s. don't mind the smart ass tone, I'm just grumpy after a long anticipated walk in the park turned into near tragedy, only to find people wanting to pin 5 turn overs on the coaching staff and call it analysis. rolleyes.gif )
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 10 2012, 11:01 PM) *
In the 50+ passes he threw 5 terrible balls, 2 of which were intercepted.

Are you suggesting the other 2 INTs were something OTHER than "terrible balls?"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.