Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NFL officials
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
navyeagles
Just announces that the replacements will be on the field the first week of the regular season.

Another failure for Rodger Goodell
Phits
QUOTE (navyeagles @ Aug 29 2012, 02:45 PM) *
Just announces that the replacements will be on the field the first week of the regular season.

Another failure for Rodger Goodell

The replacement officials have been just as bad as the regulars. IMO - Might as well keep 'em.
Dreagon
Now it gets interesting. If the first couple of weeks go by without too much trouble, then the official refs are going to have no bargaining position left. On the other hand, if a couple of real games get blown by gaffes on the part of the replacements, the outcry and pressure on the NFL to settle this is going to be fierce.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Aug 30 2012, 12:41 PM) *
Now it gets interesting. If the first couple of weeks go by without too much trouble, then the official refs are going to have no bargaining position left. On the other hand, if a couple of real games get blown by gaffes on the part of the replacements, the outcry and pressure on the NFL to settle this is going to be fierce.

I have been really on this whole thing because it drives me nuts. I have even been trading email with Ray Didinger over this(and he thinks I am nuts) but the numbers tell the story. Under the regular refs the number of challenges have risen and the % of reversals has also shot up. The regular guys have gotten much worse over the last 5 years and the media just ignored it and the replacements have actually done a better job except for one thing, they have slowed the game down. Be it nerves, over-collaboration, uncertainty or whatever, they take too much time on calls but that will get better with a little experience. With replay in its expanded form I am not sure what gaffes you think will be so egregious that they will blow a game? Every score and turnover is now reviewed......it is almost idiot proof.

The media has taken a side in this fight and I am glad they are having it handed to them on this one, no one comes to see the refs..........baseball made the mistake of caving to their officials and have been hostage ever since.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 30 2012, 04:39 PM) *
I have been really on this whole thing because it drives me nuts. I have even been trading email with Ray Didinger over this(and he thinks I am nuts) but the numbers tell the story. Under the regular refs the number of challenges have risen and the % of reversals has also shot up. The regular guys have gotten much worse over the last 5 years and the media just ignored it and the replacements have actually done a better job except for one thing, they have slowed the game down. Be it nerves, over-collaboration, uncertainty or whatever, they take too much time on calls but that will get better with a little experience. With replay in its expanded form I am not sure what gaffes you think will be so egregious that they will blow a game? Every score and turnover is now reviewed......it is almost idiot proof.

The media has taken a side in this fight and I am glad they are having it handed to them on this one, no one comes to see the refs..........baseball made the mistake of caving to their officials and have been hostage ever since.

I agree with this. First of all, if you're expendable (which refs are), then don't go on strike. Tough shit, now you've been replaced. Second, am I supposed to feel sorry for a guy who calls 'roughing the passer' when trent cole's hand grazes Manning's helmet incidentally? Could it be we'll see some actual football being called now - i.e., dirty hits and obvious calls get flagged, otherwise let em play? That's the impression I would take away from what I've seen. 10 QBs threw for 4,000 yards last year - that's a direct result of the game's pussification, let's see what the replacements can do.
mcnabbulous
The pussification of the game has nothing to do with the refs. It has to do with the rules. All the refs should be accountable for is consistently calling the game based on the defined rules.

The inconsistency is going to drive people nuts this year. Rest assured.
koolaidluke
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Aug 30 2012, 12:41 PM) *

We went through this whole situation in the 2001 season: Refs went on strike, replacements did pretty good, the Refs ended up taking the last deal offered, the one they had initially refused. This is just gonna be a repeat of that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.