Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This kid is going to be good.
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
xsv
He's not quite ready yet, but I'm sold he's got top level QB talent, good poise, and a cannon.
koolaidluke
If Vick struggles out of the gate, is there a QB controversy?

If Vick gets hurt, Foles comes in and plays at the level he has tonight, is there a QB controversy?

I wonder if Foles performance will convince Vick to pull his head out of his ass and stop getting injured. My guess: no.
xsv
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Aug 24 2012, 08:57 PM) *

If Vick gets hurt, Foles comes in and plays at the level he has tonight, is there a QB controversy?

I wonder if Foles performance will convince Vick to pull his head out of his ass and stop getting injured. My guess: no.

No controversy...... this year. It's Vicks job.

But next year, if Vick is still getting hurt every 3rd play, I could see this kid making a strong push.
Bez
QUOTE (xsv @ Aug 24 2012, 08:59 PM) *
No controversy...... this year. It's Vicks job.

But next year, if Vick is still getting hurt every 3rd play, I could see this kid making a strong push.
Do you really think Vick will remain healthy ?
koolaidluke
QUOTE (Bez @ Aug 24 2012, 09:50 PM) *
Do you really think Vick will remain healthy ?

I think Vick has a great chance of remaining healthy for a few series.

I definitely don't feel like going through a year full of growing pains with a rookie QB with all the talent this team has. We might not have a choice.

Has anybody realized that there is a chance that opening day will feature 6 rookie QBs starting? That would have to be a record, no?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Aug 25 2012, 01:36 AM) *
Has anybody realized that there is a chance that opening day will feature 6 rookie QBs starting? That would have to be a record, no?

It looks like 5 right now - I believe 2 is the most that have ever started in week 1.
nephillymike
He does look really good.

Best preseason for a rookie QB I ever remember for the Iggs. Better than Feeley, better than Koy Detmer.

Question is, since Foles is the #2, are you more likely to keep Edwards or Kafka as the #3.

I'm leaning towards Edwards for experience but also he's played pretty well.
Bez
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Aug 25 2012, 01:36 AM) *
I think Vick has a great chance of remaining healthy for a few series.

I definitely don't feel like going through a year full of growing pains with a rookie QB with all the talent this team has. We might not have a choice.

Foles played college ball for a compromised program due to poor locality , yet the Wildcats are in the Pac12 . Many of the dangers that Vick has faced are similar to what Foles was dealt . I 'm pretty sure that is why he is as disciplined and built , he wants to survive. Its a great story line and there is always the possibility that he could outshine Vick , he just may have the stones to do so. Luck has a bull's eye on him and it remains to be seen how he handles being annihilated by an NFL linebacker in a real game.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Bez @ Aug 25 2012, 12:13 PM) *
Foles played college ball for a compromised program due to poor locality , yet the Wildcats are in the Pac12 . Many of the dangers that Vick has faced are similar to what Foles was dealt . I 'm pretty sure that is why he is as disciplined and built , he wants to survive. Its a great story line and there is always the possibility that he could outshine Vick , he just may have the stones to do so. Luck has a bull's eye on him and it remains to be seen how he handles being annihilated by an NFL linebacker in a real game.

not sure what you mean her Bez?......

Do you mean his upbringing?.....the kids dad is a multi-millionaire restaurant magnate.....and Tuscon is not a bad locale.....

care to explain what I am missing?
Bez
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 25 2012, 08:57 PM) *
not sure what you mean her Bez?......

Do you mean his upbringing?.....the kids dad is a multi-millionaire restaurant magnate.....and Tuscon is not a bad locale.....

care to explain what I am missing?
Holy sheet that is a mouthful . All I was saying is that Foles is a quarterback who was brought up with a front line what was less than formidable in certain ways and provided him with the challenge of surviving or being torn to shreds. His college is not in the same limelight as the Sun Devils. Last time I looked whether anyone wants to admit it or not killing the QB has ALWAYS been the MO of an opposing defense. Oakland 's last two close attempts at a SB was all about taking out QBs . It was very blatant. Your post reeks of political crap ...so what if he comes from money , even Jesus said it matters not , its all about the person. IF anything Foles representing his original contingency means even more. Sorry for mentioning Jesus in the same breath as football even if many players kneel. I just get the feeling along with elections this board could descend into a lot of unnecessary negativity . This is not simply in response to your post , more overall it is in the face of " reality and all " .I really hope this place doesn't become a shit hole come regular season. Even if there is reason for it to become as much , it's not healthy in these kind of times. We need to remember to put a little love in our hearts. . Bez
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Bez @ Aug 25 2012, 09:43 PM) *
Holy sheet that is a mouthful . All I was saying is that Foles is a quarterback who was brought up with a front line what was less than formidable in certain ways and provided him with the challenge of surviving or being torn to shreds. His college is not in the same limelight as the Sun Devils. Last time I looked whether anyone wants to admit it or not killing the QB has ALWAYS been the MO of an opposing defense. Oakland 's last two close attempts at a SB was all about taking out QBs . It was very blatant. Your post reeks of political crap ...so what if he comes from money , even Jesus said it matters not , its all about the person. IF anything Foles representing his original contingency means even more. Sorry for mentioning Jesus in the same breath as football even if many players kneel. I just get the feeling along with elections this board could descend into a lot of unnecessary negativity . This is not simply in response to your post , more overall it is in the face of " reality and all " .I really hope this place doesn't become a shit hole come regular season. Even if there is reason for it to become as much , it's not healthy in these kind of times. We need to remember to put a little love in our hearts. . Bez

oh....I get what you mean now.....Arizona used to have a good program but it has certainly been in disarray lately.....and my post has nothing to do with politics, I merely meant that is you were thinking that they came from similar backgrounds nothing could be further from the truth. That being said, Vick's college career was nothing like Foles either. The Hokies were 22-2 while he was there and they ran an offense tailored for his running style.

and I don't care where anyone comes from, it means nothing but your post was a tad ambiguous and if you thought my post had anything political in it at all I suggest you lay off the pharmaceuticals......
Bez
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 25 2012, 10:08 PM) *
oh....I get what you mean now.....Arizona used to have a good program but it has certainly been in disarray lately.....and my post has nothing to do with politics, I merely meant that is you were thinking that they came from similar backgrounds nothing could be further from the truth. That being said, Vick's college career was nothing like Foles either. The Hokies were 22-2 while he was there and they ran an offense tailored for his running style.

and I don't care where anyone comes from, it means nothing but your post was a tad ambiguous and if you thought my post had anything political in it at all I suggest you lay off the pharmaceuticals......

Thanks , I will drink some 8% steel malt and hang with Fred http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqT0TWMeb54 Asshole you seem to be ...correct me if I am wrong. I left KC message boards as a KC fan due to unnecessary animosity , this place is tending towards the same mess come a bad season and all and I have been around her for some time . I have no problem with flaming but consider this place kinda off limits.I don't want to shit on this doorstep. Peace .Bez.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Bez @ Aug 26 2012, 12:43 AM) *
Thanks , I will drink some 8% steel malt and hang with Fred http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqT0TWMeb54 Asshole you seem to be ...correct me if I am wrong. I left KC message boards as a KC fan due to unnecessary animosity , this place is tending towards the same mess come a bad season and all and I have been around her for some time . I have no problem with flaming but consider this place kinda off limits.I don't want to shit on this doorstep. Peace .Bez.

no flaming intended........and I did not insult you once.....unlike your response to me.....I was merely trying to understand your point and asked for clarification.......how that was taken as insulting is beyond me........if using facts to disprove your assertion is flaming than I guess I am guilty.......Foles biggest hurdle to this point was having a bad combine
navyeagles
It is Vicks team this year, but Vick is Due a lot of money next season..... so... if Foles keeps this up and gettings some real games this year vs. number 1 Defenses then this off season we might have a controversy.
Lets not full ourselves Vick getting hurt is going to happen, its just the question of how bad and for how long.

I like Foles though, I have always liked tall QBs like Foles and Mallet. It is something we surely dont have with Vick, he is vertically challenged.
xsv
One thing I really like about this is that I think Vick gets complacent when he doesn't have someone pushing him.

Even if Foles pushing him is just a figment of the fan's imagination, Vick should feel at least a little heat, and may respond to it positively.
Pbfan
QUOTE (xsv @ Aug 29 2012, 03:30 PM) *
One thing I really like about this is that I think Vick gets complacent when he doesn't have someone pushing him.

Even if Foles pushing him is just a figment of the fan's imagination, Vick should feel at least a little heat, and may respond to it positively.

Ya a little extra motivation never hurt anybod. Maybe Vick will even get a little more cautious and throw the ball away or take a sack as to not give the kid the opportunity to impress.
GQSmooth
I'm thinking Foles is going to be something special. This kid has the best pocket presence of anyone I recall off the top of my mind in Reid's offense. Even better he plays faster in the pocket than his speed. His arm is awesome and what I really love is when he throws the ball he puts it where only his receiver has a chance to get the ball. I'm really impressed with Foles and I'm convinced if Vick doesn't stay healthy Foles will give him competition. While Foles is no where near as talented as Vick he gets rid of the ball really well.
Reality Fan
I like Foles but he is a long way from ready.....he has thrown a nice intermediate ball but he has thrown or should I say under thrown multiple long balls. It does not seem to be a matter of arm strength, he just needs to learn when to throw it......he missed 3 that stand out and 3 of his long completions were under thrown also......he needs work, a lot of work....but he has good pocket presence and mobility....he can learn the deep ball.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Aug 24 2012, 08:57 PM) *

No

No

and No.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (xsv @ Aug 24 2012, 08:49 PM) *
He's not quite ready yet, but I'm sold he's got top level QB talent, good poise, and a cannon.

X,

I was also sold on Bobby Hoying and KK, and that was after a few games where the bullets were actually flying.

Clearly it takes more than a just few pre-season games to convince me at this point.

Hope you're right, but I'm just saying...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.