Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: R.I.P. Mr. Van Buren
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Phits
Steve Van Buren, the square-jawed Hall of Fame running back who led the Philadelphia Eagles to NFL titles in 1948 and 1949, has died. He was 91.
The Eagles said Van Buren died Thursday in Lancaster, Pa., of pneumonia.

The former LSU star, nicknamed "Wham-Bam" for his quick and punishing running style, joined the Eagles in 1944 as a first-round pick. He led the NFL in rushing four times and finished his eight-year career with 5,860 yards rushing and 77 TDs.

The five-time All-Pro player was selected to the NFL's 75th Anniversary Team in 1994, and was the first Eagles player elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
"I've seen them all - Jim Thorpe, Red Grange, Bronko Nagurski," Greasy Neale, Van Buren's coach with the Eagles, told the Philadelphia Daily News in 1957, "but he's the greatest."

LINK
TGryn
Greatest RB of all time.
Flying Dutchman
I just posted this over on the EMB. I can't write anymore, not now. FWIW
"I remember Steve Van Buren. He was my hero from that very first day my dad took me up to Shibe Park to see the Iggles back in 1948. We called him Supersonic Steve, The Flying Dutchman and Wham Bam. Man could he fly. He actually beat out former Olympic sprinters in match races. Along with his size and speed came his ability as the most punishing runner football had ever seen. Back in those days, anything and everything was allowed. Teams would simply beat the bejeezus out of you every time they got a shot at you including while you were down. The Eagles were known back in the 40ís as the toughest team to ever play the game, a mantle that later passed on to legendary teams like the Colts, then the Raiders, Steelers etc. When somebody got particularly out of hand with his teammates, Van Buren would take over and insist on getting the ball and a shot at running at and over the doomed player who was stupid enough to get him fired up. He carried the team on his back, physically and emotionally setting the highest of standards. I always thought that it was Van Buren who had the greatest influence on young Bednarik who became just like him. One was a rock and the other concrete, they gave Philly and its Eagles their reputation for being tough. It is a sad, sad day that we now must say goodbye, to one of the greatest players and men to ever step on a field in Philly. RIP Steve, you are still my hero."
HOUSEoPAIN
RIP

All-time great
Eyrie
Rest In Peace.

The greatest RB of all time.
mcnabbulous
Thanks for the write-up, Dutch. One of the reasons I enjoy frequenting this board.
TGryn
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Sto...?story_id=15134
Didinger continued: "Steve is such a special person. I never met a superstar so humble and modest like Steve. A couple years ago, NFL Films was doing a story on the NFL's 75th Anniversary All-Time Team and they had a lunch-in at the Hall of Fame. And all the guys were mingling and the room got real loud. Then Steve walked in the room, and the place went silent. And all these great players like Jim Brown, Jim Taylor, every single person in that room wanted to shake Van Buren's hand. That to me spoke volumes about the respect everyone had for Steve and his place in NFL history. I'll never forget that moment."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.