Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nick Fole Bandwagon Makes No Sense
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
koolaidluke
Whenever McNabb was outplayed by one of his backups (which was pretty much every time he ever came out of a game), Eagles fans would respond by doubling down on the McNabb worship. But now that Vick has left two pre season games with injuries before getting a chance to do anything, everybody is ready to crown Foles (who hasn't even played that well) as the Eagles future? This despite the fact that Vick is about 10 billion times the QB that fraud McNabb was. I don't get it.

I'm mad at Vick, but as long as he is healthy he is a way better QB than Foles. Maybe someday Foles will develop, but as of now he hasn't done anything but game manage against scrubs.
Bez
Its called hope , fans are hoping for the real deal and Fole has the hallmarks of having that potential and he has chutzpa.
D Rock
Who has "crowned" Foles anything beyond "promising new comer with apparent upside?"

I agree that McNabb was an over rated fraud, but I fail to see what that has to do with Nick Foles or the Eagles.

Foles going 24 of 38 for 361 yards w/ 4 TDs and 1 Int is a hell of lot more than "game management."

So he played against 2nd tier defenders. That's not his fault. And it's his first NFL action.

The question is not (and has never been) should he replace Vick. The question is should he be our #2.

There is little remaining doubt in my mind that he's a better QB than Kafka.

Just Sayin...
Bez
QUOTE (D Rock @ Aug 21 2012, 07:09 PM) *
Who has "crowned" Foles anything beyond "promising new comer with apparent upside?"

I agree that McNabb was an over rated fraud, but I fail to see what that has to do with Nick Foles or the Eagles.

Foles going 24 of 38 for 361 yards w/ 4 TDs and 1 Int is a hell of lot more than "game management."

So he played against 2nd tier defenders. That's not his fault. And it's his first NFL action.

The question is not (and has never been) should he replace Vick. The question is should he be our #2.

There is little remaining doubt in my mind that he's a better QB than Kafka.

Just Sayin...
Or to put it another way is he the chosen one ? Is he fully anointed with the moves and the mentality and the good fortune to stay healthy ? He is certainly more interesting than Luck as far as I am concerned.
make_it_rain
QUOTE (D Rock @ Aug 21 2012, 07:09 PM) *

^^^
This, no ones saying Foles should start over Vick, but in the (granted very limited) amount of reps he has gotten he has displayed considerable arm strength, good composure, and decent accuracy.

For a rookie qb that's pretty promising.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Aug 21 2012, 08:14 PM) *
^^^
This, no ones saying Foles should start over Vick, but in the (granted very limited) amount of reps he has gotten he has displayed considerable arm strength, good composure, and decent accuracy.

For a rookie qb that's pretty promising.

I finally got to see the entire game, I admit I liked what I saw - since there's about a 99.99999999999999999% chance Vick will go down, I actually feel decent about Foles starting in his place.
TGryn
The reasoning as I see it is:
1) Feeley in '02 showed that a QB with virtually no experience can still win in Andy's offense; and
2) Cam Newton's success last year belied the canard that "rookie QBs can't win for you." Add in how good Luck has looked for the Colts, and maybe starting Foles doesn't seem so far-fetched.
D Rock
I'd take that canard's denial further with examples of other recently successful rookies from Flaco to Ryan to Bradford to Dalton.

BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (TGryn @ Aug 21 2012, 08:26 PM) *
The reasoning as I see it is:
1) Feeley in '02 showed that a QB with virtually no experience can still win in Andy's offense; and
2) Cam Newton's success last year belied the canard that "rookie QBs can't win for you." Add in how good Luck has looked for the Colts, and maybe starting Foles doesn't seem so far-fetched.

let me start by saying i have seen very little of Foles. Vick goes out and i tune out except for watching the defense. i dont care how well a rook plays vs backups in the preseason. we have all seen it before and i refuse to get sucked into that. i didnt get sucked in to Feeley or Hoying and i aint gonna start now.

from what i heard today, lots of people do indeed believe Foles should start over Vick....not because Foles will win more games this year. i dont know how this point gets lost everytime i hear somebody trying to explain it

Foles will not win as many games as (healthy) Vick will this year...people who want Foles to start are aware of that

what they are saying is that we have seen the ceiling of Vick. they dont think he can be the QB we need to win the SB. therefore why waste another year of watching Vick come up short in the playoffs (assuming we even get there) when we can start developing Foles like the other 10 or so teams around the league are doing with their young QBs. they arent sure Foles will be a SB winner but they are sure Vick isnt

the opposite opinion comes from folks who watch Vick and believe he can indeed win a SB so why throw away a season on a rook at QB

in short...the argument hinges mostly on your opinion of Vick...less so about Foles being Montana
D Rock
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Aug 22 2012, 01:41 AM) *
from what i heard today, lots of people do indeed believe Foles should start over Vick....

Perhaps you should stop listening to idiots.

You and Koolaid are the only ones I've heard or read that have suggested ANYONE believes he should start over Vick.

To believe that, takes a unique level of dumbass, regardless of how one feels re: Vick.

Personally, I'm sorta over Vick. I think we'll see more 2011 Vick than 2010 from this point forward. That said, I've got a few functioning brain cells left that prevent me from being stupid enough (albeit just barely) to suggest Foles starts over a healthy Vick...

wink.gif
Zero
QUOTE (D Rock @ Aug 21 2012, 06:09 PM) *

To me the bigger point is how he looked doing what he did. He isn't ready to lead the team as a starter but he amazed me by how much poise he showed. He didn't look like a rookie. He seemed to understand what he had to do and where he should throw the ball. He didn't look scared or intimidated by the rush. He got whupped and got back up and made a nice play.

That's good stuff, especially from someone who's been getting third string reps in practice in his first year. It doesn't mean he'll be great but it does mean there's a chance he can be a good starter some day. He shows more hope than Kafka who's in his third year.
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Aug 21 2012, 05:16 PM) *
Whenever McNabb was outplayed by one of his backups (which was pretty much every time he ever came out of a game), Eagles fans would respond by doubling down on the McNabb worship. But now that Vick has left two pre season games with injuries before getting a chance to do anything, everybody is ready to crown Foles (who hasn't even played that well) as the Eagles future? This despite the fact that Vick is about 10 billion times the QB that fraud McNabb was. I don't get it.

I'm mad at Vick, but as long as he is healthy he is a way better QB than Foles. Maybe someday Foles will develop, but as of now he hasn't done anything but game manage against scrubs.

That McNabb stuff was garbage.

But I don't think anyone is seriously taking Foles over Vick. However, he has performed better than most backups since Jeff Garcia (and Vick himself, since he was technically a backup at the start of 2010).

Better than Young (who IMO was not really a fit for the Eagles -- he needs to be somewhere where they play more short passes), and right now, even against scrubs he's been better than Kafka and Edwards. So, if Foles has to play for Vick, it won't be too much of a headache.

xsv
I thought he looked pretty damn good, to be honest. Tall and poised, strong armed, pretty good decisions.

Even the int he thew was a good decision. The receiver was open in the end zone, Foles jsut didn't get enough air under the ball.

I don't know about the second coming of Montana or anything. I don't think he's even as good as McNabb would be right now. But he's certainly got more potential than Kafka or Edwards, and if Vick doens't learn how to protect himself more, I'm going to be looking forward to seeing him instead of Vick in the very near future.
JeeQ
I'm not crowning Foles so much as bracing for the inevitable. Vick has only played 16 games once in his entire career. In two out of his four drives this pre-season he's suffered an injured hand and a rib contusion. As much as I'd like to think positively, chances are extremely high Vick won't be making it through 16 games this season. This means our backup QB can't be an afterthought. He fills a crucial position so the fact that Foles is showing flashes of brilliance is a godsend. If Kafka and Edwards were our only backup options I'd say the season is done soon as Vick goes down. But with Foles, there's a light in the darkness. I'm not crowning him the next starter, but he's our clear hope for #2 right now. If (though perhaps when) Vick goes down I feel comfortable with Foles stepping in there. Considering what our other options were before Foles showed promise the elation by the Eagles community is expected.
Reality Fan
As has been alluded to here previously the thing that makes Foles even more attractive as a QB prospect beyond his apparent abilty to learn this offense quickly is that he is a big body and a gym rat.

Unlike Hoying and Kolb, 2 very similar bodied players, Foles is 6'6" and 240+. In other words he is a little bigger than Roethlesberger and he has a legitimate big arm which means he can make all the throws including the deep ball, something Kolb did not do well. He has also appeared to be pretty mobile. Now he may end up being a dud but he has all the tools so the old adage applies...."better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"......Kolb needs it and doesn't have it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.