Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Change will come...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
DeF Switch
At some point when this regular season starts, I believe, Nick Foles will be the starting QB for the Eagles. I can see Mike Vick being released at the end of the season. Nick Foles is the Future.

Also, I can see Todd Bowles taking over as Defensive Coordinator. Juan Castillo will probably end up as some type of assistant coach.
Jerome Brown Experience
QUOTE (DeF Switch @ Aug 21 2012, 02:09 AM) *
At some point when this regular season starts, I believe, Nick Foles will be the starting QB for the Eagles. I can see Mike Vick being released at the end of the season. Nick Foles is the Future.

Also, I can see Todd Bowles taking over as Defensive Coordinator. Juan Castillo will probably end up as some type of assistant coach.

What evidence have you seen in the preseason, camp or the last 8 games of the season that Castillo is not - at the very least - a decent-to-good defensive coordinator?
Dr. Claw
Foles is the future but I don't see him starting right away. I will say that he has looked better than any Eagles backup since Vick (technically). Definitely more of a guy I could see starting for at least a couple years unlike Kolb.... without all the hype Kolb got being drafted.

He had no fear and moved around in the pocket, didn't really make too many dumb throws, even if they all were not accurate. What he did in the redzone, and that blocking job that Avant did... man. I'd love to see that. He and Clay Harbor seem to make a good pair.

If he is at very least Joe Flacco level the Eagles could do something in the playoffs, since Marty and Andy don't seem to be afraid of the playbook with him.
Mr. Bonko
QUOTE (Jerome Brown Experience @ Aug 21 2012, 10:08 AM) *
What evidence have you seen in the preseason, camp or the last 8 games of the season that Castillo is not - at the very least - a decent-to-good defensive coordinator?

All the defensive penalties.
Mr. Bonko
QUOTE (DeF Switch @ Aug 21 2012, 02:09 AM) *

I see both of these suggestions and distinct possibilities.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Mr. Bonko @ Aug 21 2012, 12:23 PM) *
All the defensive penalties.

if it was a matter of poor substitutions or the wrong defense but the penalties have come on plays where there was no need for them, late hits or overly aggressive plays. Outside of bad tackling which seems to be getting better I don't see Castillo doing a bad job. The media seems to think that Bowles is running things now anyway but I think the Philly media is the worst anyway because they are notorious for creating their own stories.
Jerome Brown Experience
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 21 2012, 01:50 PM) *
if it was a matter of poor substitutions or the wrong defense but the penalties have come on plays where there was no need for them, late hits or overly aggressive plays. Outside of bad tackling which seems to be getting better I don't see Castillo doing a bad job. The media seems to think that Bowles is running things now anyway but I think the Philly media is the worst anyway because they are notorious for creating their own stories.

Exactly. The media want the story to be around Washburn or Bowles - both of whom are far more quotable than Castillo, who, like Marty, keeps it "Andy bland" in the press conferences. It's a shame; Juan seems like he is incorporating some good coaches under him and not stifling them (as Andy did with Johnson, Spags, Harbaugh etc.) and instead of getting credit for doing that he is tagged as a patsy. Blech.
Zero
QUOTE (Jerome Brown Experience @ Aug 21 2012, 02:10 PM) *
Juan seems like he is incorporating some good coaches under him and not stifling them (as Andy did with Johnson, Spags, Harbaugh etc.) and instead of getting credit for doing that he is tagged as a patsy. Blech.

Most of the D's success seems to have come when the opposition's starters are out. That's what concerns me most at this point. That said, I like your point and think it fits. Even though this is his second term, Juan and his D are still a work in progress.
Flying Dutchman
Tommy Lawlor had some interesting comments about the continued blitzing which was getting killed by screens. It made sense to me. Instead of thinking how dumb Juan Juas, I started thinking, he was soing some smart coaching.

"What was Castillo doing last night? The Eagles blitzed a lot on 3rd downs. The Pats ran screens and had good success. Castillo was getting out-coached, right? That depends. My guess is that Castillo was working on the Eagles blitz package. If so, then you donít blame him a bit. The defense must have a chance to work on blitzes. They canít do them against our OL because the line has seen them over and over. The element of surprise is gone. You need to see them against another team.

Now, if Castillo thought the blitzes were the solution to the screen game, then he would be completely at fault. I doubt that is the case. The fact we kept doing very similar blitzes on 3rd/longs, but with different players on the field made it feel as though it was more of a practice plan. Letís see which players execute the blitz the best. Letís see what we need to work on.

I know this notion will drive some people nuts. Why do that if NE is going to burn the D? Thatís why you donít obsess on results in the preseason. You are working on elements of your game. Youíre not totally focused on the opponent and what heís doing. The preseason is all about getting ready for the regular season. Better to see what parts of the blitz work/donít work now so you can adjust them by September."

http://igglesblitz.com/

At least he found out that MK is the best heat-seeking missle we've had at LB in quite a while.
koolaidluke
I don't like blitzing. We have a great pass rush but are lacking in coverage. Blitzing plays to our weaknesses.
D Rock
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Aug 22 2012, 07:42 PM) *
I don't like blitzing. We have a great pass rush but are lacking in coverage. Blitzing plays to our weaknesses.

yup.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Aug 22 2012, 02:32 PM) *
Tommy Lawlor had some interesting comments about the continued blitzing which was getting killed by screens. It made sense to me. Instead of thinking how dumb Juan Juas, I started thinking, he was soing some smart coaching.

"What was Castillo doing last night? The Eagles blitzed a lot on 3rd downs. The Pats ran screens and had good success. Castillo was getting out-coached, right? That depends. My guess is that Castillo was working on the Eagles blitz package. If so, then you donít blame him a bit. The defense must have a chance to work on blitzes. They canít do them against our OL because the line has seen them over and over. The element of surprise is gone. You need to see them against another team.

Now, if Castillo thought the blitzes were the solution to the screen game, then he would be completely at fault. I doubt that is the case. The fact we kept doing very similar blitzes on 3rd/longs, but with different players on the field made it feel as though it was more of a practice plan. Letís see which players execute the blitz the best. Letís see what we need to work on.

I know this notion will drive some people nuts. Why do that if NE is going to burn the D? Thatís why you donít obsess on results in the preseason. You are working on elements of your game. Youíre not totally focused on the opponent and what heís doing. The preseason is all about getting ready for the regular season. Better to see what parts of the blitz work/donít work now so you can adjust them by September."

http://igglesblitz.com/

At least he found out that MK is the best heat-seeking missle we've had at LB in quite a while.

I agree, first there is little game planning in the preseason so I really think that the blitzing was more practice than anything, it is not like they audibled into a blitz because they thought the Pats would run screens.

People forget or just don't realize how important game planning is in the league.

second, the overall play of the D was not bad, granted many of the stars didn;t play for the Pats but the Eagles knew that going in and I would be amazed if that didn't play into some of the stuff they decided to work on.

kendricks is looking better and better as a pick and Ryans made nice progress in the D.........it seems he needs to be more comfortable getting back into a 4-3 but he made some nice plays.

The simple reality is that as bad as Juan is made to seem by some people his rookie year D finished in the top 10 in the NFL with absolute garbage at LB and, to be kind, very ordinary safeties.
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 22 2012, 08:07 PM) *
I agree, first there is little game planning in the preseason so I really think that the blitzing was more practice than anything, it is not like they audibled into a blitz because they thought the Pats would run screens.

People forget or just don't realize how important game planning is in the league.

I swear the Iggles blitzed more late in the year compared to the start. They just didn't have a rocket like MK available to make the blitz a really nasty threat that the O would have to reckon with. The added threat now could actually be a big help to our super front four (X2). Let the doubters rave on, but I have visions of MK having a tremendous effect on our D.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.