Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey Dutch
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Saw footage of the Ryan visit to your place and was looking for a ripped retired gentleman with Eagles garb in the crowd but didn't see you. Did you go to the rally? I don't assume you would support its purpose, but I figured it would be a good place to meet the ladies which would draw your attention if nothing else.
Flying Dutchman
Nah Mikey, I didn't go. Despite all my education and international experience, I still consider my self a middle class guy and I have a ton of reasons for not liking Ryan and company. The Dutchess and I are pushing 70/71, depend on SS and Medicare and have to work still to survive. We can't relate to that ticket. Heck, we've got kids pushing 50 themselves.

That said, this is a predominantly conservative community and probably 50,000+ of our 87,000 residents are registered Repuiblicans. On Saturday I was actually out golfing on one of our 60, 9-holers here inside The Villages. When I went speeding off to the course I passed that town square (we now have 3 of them) and by 8:00 AM they were already streaming by the thousands to find a place to camp out. Of course being so used to flying down the Autobahn in Germany, I have my 12 year old golf cart so souped up that I can still outrun 99% of the newest and hottest ones around. So I plugged in my radar detector and would race off passing 3 and 4 carts at a time, thinking "eat my dust suckers" LOL!

Besides, I don't need to check out the women, I've got all I can ever handle now in the Dutchess and I am too busy making sure that nobody else gets hurt when they stop to oggle her when she's around. Hell, being in shape like this, the two of us draw attention wherever we go already. It's a real kick, I kid you not. Yesterday I cranked out 5 reps at 460 lbs in the Rack Deadllift (on a Smith Machine that's with 10 45# plates) and half the gym stopped to watch. I don't remember if I posted her second youtube video, doing the situps while holding a 40# DB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkyqMhTrDrM

Glad I found this post of yours Mikey. I was really bummed out with the news about the Original Flying Dutchman.
nephillymike
That's a funny story Dutch! I too am sad over your namesake. Great RB, no doubt. he was the all time leader when he retired.

The Villages seems to be an oasis for seniors!
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 24 2012, 05:35 PM) *
That's a funny story Dutch! I too am sad over your namesake. Great RB, no doubt. he was the all time leader when he retired.

The Villages seems to be an oasis for seniors!

SVB was a man among men when the NFL was still a man's game. It is amazing to think that only a rare few RBs have ever possessed his extraordinary speed and just as rarely his smash mouth running style that endeared him to Philly forever. Just picture Van Buren's exceptional combination of skills and add in his cohorts for those great Eagles teams. Pete Pihos (HOF) who was the "original" TE and ran with such abandon that he was called the "bull in the china shop" because like Van Buren he preferred to run over and not around defenders. Don't forget that Pihos also made All Pro in the one season "52" IIRC, when he was asked to play only DE. One very tough cookie. Then you had Tommy "One-Eyed" Thompson who, like Pihos was a WWII vet and the former RB learned how to play well enough that one eye and all he became one of the top 3 QBs in football during our championship years. One eye that worked.......just imagine! Then of course there was that other vet named Concrete Charley who simply destroyed ball carriers for fun. They have never made a tougher LB, I don't care who. At something like 6'3 and 235 when he was drafted in 49, Chuck Bednarik was a giant of a man in those days in size, ability and violent playing style. Lastly Van Buren had a soulmate on the line in the form of the, for those days, huge 6'2 245 lb G/NT Bucko Kilroy called by one national magazine, Life IIRC, "the dirtiest player in football". They had lots of help, but these were the leaders and among them The Flying Dutchman was number one, to his teamates, to the rest of the NFL and to all of Philly. God how I miss those days.

The Villages is much better than an oasis. We call it " Disneyland for Adults". It spreads some 17 miles N-S and 8 miles E-W. It is a dreamworld with some 800 clubs and 60 golf courses of which the 30 executive 9s are free to us forever and we have free lifetime membership in the 11 country clubs designed by Arnold Palmer, Nancy Lopez et al. Next week we go to see the Platters revival with Sonny Turner, then it's Irish, Celtic and German Clubs with big parties and great entertainment. Not to overlook the Pa, Philly, Lehigh Valley, Pittsburg, Erie etc clubs with similar situations for almost every state. Everything here is done with real style from the planning and layout to the 3 gigantic main squares which feature tons of specialty shops, restaurants etc. Oh did I mention they EACH have top flight entertainment every night of the year,.....for free! This is an unbelievably active community with tens of thousands committed to their choice of sports from golf to baseball, tennis, running, biking, weightlifting, dancing whatever. Yeah we have the aging fatsos but we have maybe the highest percentage of fitness freaks in any seniorland in the USA. Anyone who can't find happiness here just isn't trying and can only blame themselves. I honestly never believed that I could ever be so damn happy and fit in my 70s. Hell I actually feel younger each year. I know it's an illusion or should I say, delusion? Still it seems to be such a real fact of life here. As a senior, this is where you have to be.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.