Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In light of recent events...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
xsv
I have removed my solicitation for the removal of Andy as the HC from my avatar and signature.

In fact, I think this tragedy makes the guy more endeared.
mcnabbulous
The showing of support from across the league/country is a testament to the type of guy Andy is.

He has flaws as a coach, as they all do, but I've always believed his pros far outweigh his cons. I hope all of Eagles Nation rallies around the guy this year.
Phits
With all due respect to Andy Reid 'the father' vs Andy Reid 'the coach', it's time to focus on your family. You have a family that needs their husband/father. football will always be here. it's time to be a real leader.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Aug 8 2012, 11:17 AM) *
With all due respect to Andy Reid 'the father' vs Andy Reid 'the coach', it's time to focus on your family. You have a family that needs their husband/father. football will always be here. it's time to be a real leader.

Is it really your call to tell someone else how to grieve? Football may be the one element of normalcy the family has right now.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 8 2012, 12:22 PM) *
Is it really your call to tell someone else how to grieve? Football may be the one element of normalcy the family has right now.

While it's not my call, I'm speaking from a position of experience. "Normalcy" is a thing of the past for the Reid family, things will never be as they were again.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (xsv @ Aug 8 2012, 09:56 AM) *
I have removed my solicitation for the removal of Andy as the HC from my avatar and signature.

In fact, I think this tragedy makes the guy more endeared.

I once met a guy in a bar in Philly who said he became anti-Reid after the infamous 'double-accident' incident involving the Reid boys, and Reid came back and coached right on schedule a few months later. I disagreed that his coaching the following year was inappropriate for that reason (and stated that it was inappropriate because he's never going to win a championship instead), but perhaps the guy's main point was right about him spending far too much time away from obviously troubled kids of his.

Now? I'm sorry - he needs to resign. My money is on him finishing the season and then 'retiring' whether or not he would've been fired, but IMO this is way too close to the season and way too big of a tragedy for him to just suit up and start dialing up plays again. Even if his head is in the game, he's going to be spending 5 months completely away from his family who needs him at this time.

While my thoughts are with Reid and his family, that's a whole different universe than football. A personal tragedy doesn't buy you a contract extension. I hope we win every game, but every time he wastes a timeout when our offense is on our own 15 yard line and we have 3rd and 16, I'm gonna be here calling for his ouster.
Bez
Thank you XSV , peace , love and understanding is a good thing . Go Eagles . Peace .BEz
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Aug 8 2012, 11:32 AM) *
"Normalcy" is a thing of the past for the Reid family, things will never be as they were again.

That's my point.
Eyrie
Right now I'm 100% behind Reid as a coach simply because he is a decent man who has enough to cope with at this time. Quibbles over his coaching are irrelevant by comparison.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 8 2012, 03:49 PM) *
The showing of support from across the league/country is a testament to the type of guy Andy is.

He has flaws as a coach, as they all do, but I've always believed his pros far outweigh his cons. I hope all of Eagles Nation rallies around the guy this year.

cheers.gif
D Rock
QUOTE (Phits @ Aug 8 2012, 04:17 PM) *

Yeah, hurry before it's too late . . . oh, wait.

rolleyes.gif

He had G living in the freaking dorm with him. The other troubled son has by all accounts turned his life around and is gainfully employed in the family business.

You wanna shit on that family for it's parental failures, start with Tammy who was afforded the rare chance to be a full time Mom.

Personally, my family makes a lot of sacrifices to afford my wife the ability to stay home as a full time parent. One of the (many) trade offs is that Pop aint around as often as he'd like to be. But I'll be damned if anyone is going to make that Pop's fault.
D Rock
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Aug 8 2012, 05:47 PM) *
Right now I'm 100% behind Reid as a coach simply because he is a decent man who has enough to cope with at this time. Quibbles over his coaching are irrelevant by comparison.

cheers.gif
TGryn
I don't think having Andy sitting around at home mulling over what might have been does anyone any good.
Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Aug 8 2012, 12:46 PM) *
While my thoughts are with Reid and his family, that's a whole different universe than football. A personal tragedy doesn't buy you a contract extension.

cheers.gif
Reality Fan
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Aug 8 2012, 12:46 PM) *
Now? I'm sorry - he needs to resign. My money is on him finishing the season and then 'retiring' whether or not he would've been fired, but IMO this is way too close to the season and way too big of a tragedy for him to just suit up and start dialing up plays again. Even if his head is in the game, he's going to be spending 5 months completely away from his family who needs him at this time.

While my thoughts are with Reid and his family, that's a whole different universe than football. A personal tragedy doesn't buy you a contract extension. I hope we win every game, but every time he wastes a timeout when our offense is on our own 15 yard line and we have 3rd and 16, I'm gonna be here calling for his ouster.

Where to begin.......first....Garrett was in camp with Reid......how much closer did he need to be? second....he is not the first parent to work his ass off so his family could have everything they want at the expense of personal time with them and his wife was around all the time. Having a parent around constantly does not insure that the kids won't get into trouble. Hell, my parents were the greatest int he world, attentive but I hardly saw either one except at night before going to bed after getting home because they worked, I played sports...(oh yeah...Reid always made time to attend their games....what a bum parent.......) I hardly saw them by choice......I was lucky...they instilled core values and I had great friends.....some kids just get swayed the wrong way...it happens unfortunately.

As far as what he should do? I have to laugh at all these idiots who know what he should do........he grieves his way...every one is different but life goes on......if he was a house painter should he just stop painting? Death happens and it is painful when it is one so young but the example to his surviving kids should be that of an emotional cripple? The simple fact is that you have no fucking clue what the Reids did as parents for their kids problems but you want to pontificate with no clue.

Damn.....some people just amaze me.........I have to stop before I type what I really want to say and get banned.....
nephillymike
Seeing the overwhelming amount of support offered by all of those who went to the funeral spoke volumes of the love and respect his coaches, players (past and present), and colleagues have for Andy. It goes to show the side of Andy that everyone loves and we don't get to see often. The way he has handled these last few days, including his press conference today where he sat there for 15 minutes an answered so many questions about what should have been a personal issue and not questioned, or better yet, not have had to be answered so soon in front of so many, you have to admire him.

When he comes back to work, that is his and his family's call. I would have thought take today off, go to the game Thursday and then get back to the routine. But I respect his call on that.

A quick Andy story. There's a guy who watches the games at the bar with us and I noticed last year when we were all ripping Andy he was very silent. I asked him about it, and he was offended at what we were saying because, in his job, he had the opportunity to work with Andy in a few speaking engagements over the years. He said he was the nicest guy he ever had to work for. Just a real nice person and very funny. I watched Eagles games for eight years with this guy and I knew what he did for a living but didn't know he did a few engagments with Reid as he never mentioned it. And we were never shy to rip Andy a new one as those who know me can find that easy to believe. Well last year, sitting at 4-8 when it looks like Andy might finally be gone, he comes clean. Not even his brother in law or sister knew about it. I believe what this guy says and his judge of character and combined what we've seen this year, I too will give him some slack and more than most years, wish him all the success.

The old saying "There but for the grace of God go I" comes to mind.................................
Birdman420
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 8 2012, 09:40 PM) *
Where to begin.......first....Garrett was in camp with Reid......how much closer did he need to be? second....he is not the first parent to work his ass off so his family could have everything they want at the expense of personal time with them and his wife was around all the time. Having a parent around constantly does not insure that the kids won't get into trouble. Hell, my parents were the greatest int he world, attentive but I hardly saw either one except at night before going to bed after getting home because they worked, I played sports...(oh yeah...Reid always made time to attend their games....what a bum parent.......) I hardly saw them by choice......I was lucky...they instilled core values and I had great friends.....some kids just get swayed the wrong way...it happens unfortunately.

As far as what he should do? I have to laugh at all these idiots who know what he should do........he grieves his way...every one is different but life goes on......if he was a house painter should he just stop painting? Death happens and it is painful when it is one so young but the example to his surviving kids should be that of an emotional cripple? The simple fact is that you have no fucking clue what the Reids did as parents for their kids problems but you want to pontificate with no clue.

Damn.....some people just amaze me.........I have to stop before I type what I really want to say and get banned.....

+1
SpudDogg
QUOTE (D Rock @ Aug 8 2012, 04:51 PM) *
Personally, my family makes a lot of sacrifices to afford my wife the ability to stay home as a full time parent. One of the (many) trade offs is that Pop aint around as often as he'd like to be.

Same here dude. I work 3 jobs and recently started my own business on top of them.

All so the old lady can raise the kids, not some daycare. It sucks never being home, but I feel it's worth it in the long run and better than the alternative.
HOUSEoPAIN
Where to begin.......first....Garrett was in camp with Reid......how much closer did he need to be?

Apparently he needed to be in the dorm room every now and then, considering Reid admitted he 'succumbed to drug addiction.'

if he was a house painter should he just stop painting?

Brilliant analogy. House painters aren't set up for life and live in mansions with tens of millions of dollars in the bank (in which case, I would magine they would stop house painting). House painters don't have the entire weight of directing the course of a $1 billion dollar plus company and tens of millions of paying fans on their shoulders. House painters don't have to spend 24/7 for 5 months out of the year away from their families in order to do their job properly. House painters don't have to put up with press conferences, criticism on a national media level, and an ungodly amount of pressure week in and week out. Get it yet?

Death happens and it is painful when it is one so young but the example to his surviving kids should be that of an emotional cripple?

No, the example he should set to his surviving kids and wife is 'we need to be together right now and be strong for each other, so I've decided not to spend 24/7 over the next 5 months watching video, drawing up plays, and chest-bumping Shady after he's done dancing in the end zone.' If that's what you call being an 'emotional cripple,' I pray you don't have children.

Stop before you begin next time so I don't have to waste my time reading a childish, whiny, idiotic rant. I feel sorry for Reid and I can't imagine what he's going through. That's on a personal level. On a football level, I'm an Eagles fan, and I want to win and I want results. I'm not going to sit here and excuse every bad move he makes just because his son is dead - if he's feeling good enough to suit up on Sunday, then he's feeling good enough to take warranted criticism. If I'm the owner of the team, I feel very concerned right now about his emotional state going into the season. Just as any business owner would, I would tell him that he can take as much time off as he needs, even the whole season.....but when he comes back, he better be ready to go and no excuses. If my position isn't good enough for you, too bad.

Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Aug 9 2012, 09:49 AM) *
Apparently he needed to be in the dorm room every now and then, considering Reid admitted he 'succumbed to drug addiction.'

Brilliant analogy. House painters aren't set up for life and live in mansions with tens of millions of dollars in the bank (in which case, I would magine they would stop house painting). House painters don't have the entire weight of directing the course of a $1 billion dollar plus company and tens of millions of paying fans on their shoulders. House painters don't have to spend 24/7 for 5 months out of the year away from their families in order to do their job properly. House painters don't have to put up with press conferences, criticism on a national media level, and an ungodly amount of pressure week in and week out. Get it yet?

No, the example he should set to his surviving kids and wife is 'we need to be together right now and be strong for each other, so I've decided not to spend 24/7 over the next 5 months watching video, drawing up plays, and chest-bumping Shady after he's done dancing in the end zone.' If that's what you call being an 'emotional cripple,' I pray you don't have children.

Stop before you begin next time so I don't have to waste my time reading a childish, whiny, idiotic rant. I feel sorry for Reid and I can't imagine what he's going through. That's on a personal level. On a football level, I'm an Eagles fan, and I want to win and I want results. I'm not going to sit here and excuse every bad move he makes just because his son is dead - if he's feeling good enough to suit up on Sunday, then he's feeling good enough to take warranted criticism. If I'm the owner of the team, I feel very concerned right now about his emotional state going into the season. Just as any business owner would, I would tell him that he can take as much time off as he needs, even the whole season.....but when he comes back, he better be ready to go and no excuses. If my position isn't good enough for you, too bad.

cheers.gif
Amen Brother!
Eyrie
Everyone handles a bereavement differently and, whilst some people may prefer personal time to grieve, just maybe being back at work is cathartic for Reid. It gives him something positive to focus on rather than sitting round the house dwelling on what happened. Been there, done that, not good.

As his boss it is up to Lurie to give Reid the freedom to make his decisions right now without any pressure. It's pre-season for fuck's sake, so the assistants can help ease the workload and if Reid is a little distracted then there are no consequences and he'll know how to handle it once the games actually mean something.

Commish

This is a perfect example of why I don't visit this place as often as I used to. People who always have to be right and try to defend themselves and convince others they are right are annoying as $#it. Add to the fact they make idiot comments, are negative and insensitive... No thanks.

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Aug 9 2012, 01:50 PM) *
As his boss it is up to Lurie to give Reid the freedom to make his decisions right now without any pressure. It's pre-season for fuck's sake, so the assistants can help ease the workload and if Reid is a little distracted then there are no consequences and he'll know how to handle it once the games actually mean something.

This is kind of my entire point. My opinion is he should resign, which he won't. So with that being said, people here are saying he should be given slack for poor performance this year - I'm saying once he's back, he's the head coach again and we should expect the team to live up to expectations. Apparently this seems to be the most controversial thing ever said on this board. I'm sorry, I just refuse to join the circle jerk (with a shoutout to Phits as well) - on a personal level I feel for him and he should be given all the time off necessary, but on a football level once he's back and suited up there's no excuses, he needs to perform. I fail to see what is so objectionable about that.
md717
Those who have never had a child or family member with an addiction problem should keep their thoughts to themselves on this one, IMO.

It's been suggested that perhaps it's somehow Andy's fault that his kid had an addiction issue. For those of you who hold that opinion, I sincerely, and I mean sincerely hope that you never have to confront that situation, follow through on your present opinion, and take the responsibility onto your own shoulders. It will kill you. It will nearly kill you anyway, even if you know intellectually that you didn't make the choices that put [fill in the blank] substances into your child's body. You didn't draw back on that syringe or crush up that opiate or . . . you get the picture. Ultimately with an adult child you provide support and encouragement, but in the end the choices are theirs. You hope and pray that they beat it, you look for every sign of encouragement, you do everything and anything you can think of.

I'm sure that those of you who have expressed that opinion didn't mean to do so, but by extension you have put the blame on any father on this board whose child has had a drug problem. Who knows, perhaps there's a father reading this board who had a son die in the way that Andy's son did. Thankfully that is not my situation, but I do have a child that is dealing with the same issues. Is it my fault?

Unfortunately it sometimes ends the way it did for young Mr. Reid. It is not Andy Reid's fault, and it is not our place to tell him how to conduct his family life and career going forward. If you think he's not the right coach for the Eagles, that's one thing. That is in our domain as fans. His family life, what he "should" or "should not" do . . . that's not for public discussion in my opinion.

Having said all of that, this tragedy doesn't get him a bye for doing a poor job, assuming of course that he chooses to continue doing that job.
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 9 2012, 01:40 AM) *

cheers.gif
D Rock
QUOTE (Commish @ Aug 9 2012, 05:52 PM) *
This is a perfect example of why I don't visit this place as often as I used to. People who always have to be right and try to defend themselves and convince others they are right are annoying as $#it. Add to the fact they make idiot comments, are negative and insensitive... No thanks.

cheers.gif

Nice to "see" you C'Mish !!!
HOUSEoPAIN
This is a perfect example of why I don't visit this place as often as I used to

Coincedentally, the average IQ of regular users rose while you were away. Keep up the good work.

People who always have to be right and try to defend themselves and convince others they are right are annoying as $#it

It's called a 'discussion,' which is what happens in a 'forum.'

D Rock
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Aug 9 2012, 06:19 PM) *
Coincedentally, the average IQ of regular users rose while you were away. Keep up the good work.

Perhaps, but you and your efforts more than made up for it.
xsv
QUOTE (Commish @ Aug 9 2012, 01:52 PM) *

If there is an online community on the planet that doesn't have these drawbacks, let me know, I'd like to visit.

wink.gif
Commish
QUOTE (xsv @ Aug 9 2012, 02:20 PM) *
If there is an online community on the planet that doesn't have these drawbacks, let me know, I'd like to visit.

wink.gif

Hey! How's it going?

Remember when we started this forum after years of frustration at Igglephans? What were we called? "Andyheads?" "Mousekateers?" I can't remember. But, we were people who got together and cheered on the team, rather than bitch and complain. Life is too short. I choose to surround myself with positive people. Negadelphians are welcome to their opinion, I just choose to ignore.

That said, I love you guys!!! biggrin.gif
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (D Rock @ Aug 9 2012, 02:20 PM) *
Perhaps, but you and your efforts more than made up for it.

You haven't posted anything relevant in weeks (or intelligent since I joined up), why start now?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Commish @ Aug 9 2012, 01:37 PM) *
Hey! How's it going?

Remember when we started this forum after years of frustration at Igglephans? What were we called? "Andyheads?" "Mousekateers?" I can't remember. But, we were people who got together and cheered on the team, rather than bitch and complain. Life is too short. I choose to surround myself with positive people. Negadelphians are welcome to their opinion, I just choose to ignore.

I will say that the reason I joined this board, after a while lurking, was the relatively positive attitude about the team...

nephillymike
QUOTE (md717 @ Aug 9 2012, 01:12 PM) *
Those who have never had a child or family member with an addiction problem should keep their thoughts to themselves on this one, IMO.

It's been suggested that perhaps it's somehow Andy's fault that his kid had an addiction issue. For those of you who hold that opinion, I sincerely, and I mean sincerely hope that you never have to confront that situation, follow through on your present opinion, and take the responsibility onto your own shoulders. It will kill you. It will nearly kill you anyway, even if you know intellectually that you didn't make the choices that put [fill in the blank] substances into your child's body. You didn't draw back on that syringe or crush up that opiate or . . . you get the picture. Ultimately with an adult child you provide support and encouragement, but in the end the choices are theirs. You hope and pray that they beat it, you look for every sign of encouragement, you do everything and anything you can think of.

I'm sure that those of you who have expressed that opinion didn't mean to do so, but by extension you have put the blame on any father on this board whose child has had a drug problem. Who knows, perhaps there's a father reading this board who had a son die in the way that Andy's son did. Thankfully that is not my situation, but I do have a child that is dealing with the same issues. Is it my fault?

Unfortunately it sometimes ends the way it did for young Mr. Reid. It is not Andy Reid's fault, and it is not our place to tell him how to conduct his family life and career going forward. If you think he's not the right coach for the Eagles, that's one thing. That is in our domain as fans. His family life, what he "should" or "should not" do . . . that's not for public discussion in my opinion.

Having said all of that, this tragedy doesn't get him a bye for doing a poor job, assuming of course that he chooses to continue doing that job.

In other words "There but for the grace of God go I"
nephillymike
I was talking this afternoon with one of my clients who's daughter graduated with Reid's son. He was very sympathetic to the situation and basically said the same things as MD. He said two things I have not heard mentioned anywhere else though. He said that it was known within the Harriton HS facebook crowd that he was not always clean as of late. (Prior to his death obviously) The other thing he said was that being at Lehigh training camp was a bad place for a kid with a drug problem to be. Drugs/pain killers etc all over the place and a lot easier access than other places in society. Like a recovering alcoholic tending bar. I wonder how easy it was to get stuff at Lehigh? It would be worse if he got the stuff at Lehigh.

D Rock
I would hope the team's medical staff would have strict inventory protocols. Then again, we can assume there's no shortage of players with team provided pain management tools in their posession. It'd be easier to stomach if it's shown to be something more underground than were it something he got from a member of the team or staff. There's always the potential theft angle as well were it to have come from the team.
Reality Fan
I think the readily available supply of narcotics around Lehigh is not so much from the Eagles' medical staff but from the campus itself. Being from the area I can tell you that A) the campus itself has plenty due to the make up of the student body even in the summer, it is not a cheap school to attend and hence you have plenty of students with plenty of disposable income that don't always make the right decisions....and yes....even in the summer....cool.gif the area immediately around the campus is not exactly a great neighborhood......plenty of crime and lots of drugs........
Reality Fan

I love garbage like this.......now I didn't rant before but if you need one...well....

First....you gave your opinion...now you can have mine.......you are about as poor an example of a human being as I have seen here..........I even get the stupid "I am an Eagles fan and I just want to win" even if he is one of the top winning coaches in NFL history but only an idiot could miss that. Now on to stupid comment number 2.....he doesn't get a pass this season......who said he needs one? the season didn't even start......and as far as what he needs to do as a father? How the fuck do you know what he has done so far? you merely assume you do because you think you area smart SOB but all you have done here is prove the opposite. Just because you put words to screen does not qualify it as "warranted criticism" because that implies there is a right and wrong and he has done something wrong....see how that works? Coaching decisions are subject to criticism, how one deals with their personal grief is not.

and as gar as me having kids? you should be sterilized because the planet needs another one of you like a dog needs another ass if your sense of compassion is any indicator.........

and one last thing.....the house painter was an example though I see you were to stupid to get that.....replace it with an other profession and there are plenty that are extremely time intensive..........get it?.........no you probably dont....

HOUSEoPAIN
I love garbage like this.......now I didn't rant before but if you need one...well....

Stop before you begin next time so I don't have to waste my time reading a childish, whiny, idiotic rant

You didn't follow my directions little boy. Use your indoor voice. Blow into a brown paper bag if you need to before you type.

he doesn't get a pass this season......who said he needs one?

As I've stated clearly multiple times, that's my entire point. Once he's back (which he is tonight), he's the HC of a contending franchise and there's no excuses for him due to his personal tragedy. My opinion is what has triggered your nervous breakdown.

and as gar as me having kids? you should be sterilized because the planet needs another one of you like a dog needs another ass if your sense of compassion is any indicator.........

Ok, so that's a sensitive subject. It's ok though, you and your partner can adopt if you move to Vermont. wub.gif

and one last thing.....the house painter was an example though I see you were to stupid to get that.....replace it with an other profession and there are plenty that are extremely time intensive..........get it?.........no you probably dont....

I understand your work experience is limited to being Ron Jeremy's fluffer, so I get why you posted such a poor example. If you want to pick a profession to discuss that is similar to being the HC of a football franchise, let's hear it, and I'll respond.

I posted a legitimate opinion on what I think he should do, and stated the simple fact that if he's going to be coach, he is going to have to put up with criticism for his mistakes, and he can't hide behind the fact that he isn't able to fulfill his duties because of a personal tragedy. You can disagree with me, but the ridiculous attacks on me for posting such an opinion borders on the insane. I hope when the season starts you don't PMS everytime someone disagrees with you on how a football game goes. Christ. rolleyes.gif
Talos
Gentlemen, please back off on the personal insults or this thread will be swiftly exiled. Thank you.
SLOiggles
QUOTE (Commish @ Aug 9 2012, 10:52 AM) *

+1
xsv
QUOTE (Commish @ Aug 9 2012, 02:37 PM) *
Hey! How's it going?

Whats up bud! Hope you are enjoying life.

There's always both side, from the last day at another board to the first day here. There are assholes in all walks of life, in all environments. The assholes here, at least, I can live with.

BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Aug 9 2012, 02:10 PM) *
This is kind of my entire point. My opinion is he should resign, which he won't. So with that being said, people here are saying he should be given slack for poor performance this year - I'm saying once he's back, he's the head coach again and we should expect the team to live up to expectations. Apparently this seems to be the most controversial thing ever said on this board. I'm sorry, I just refuse to join the circle jerk (with a shoutout to Phits as well) - on a personal level I feel for him and he should be given all the time off necessary, but on a football level once he's back and suited up there's no excuses, he needs to perform. I fail to see what is so objectionable about that.

Agreed.

I don't see how empathy for the reid family means a season mulligan. Death in a family is way more important than a 3rd & one but I don't believe one has anything to do with the other

If Reid can get back to coaching, the players can get back to playing, and lurie can get back to raking in millions.....why can't fans get back to being fans?

If Reid had decided to take off a season due to the tragic loss I would understand and I would critique the coaching of whoever took over. However that's him I saw on the sideline
Eyrie
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Aug 9 2012, 07:10 PM) *

That is kind of exactly NOT my point.

This is the time to get behind Reid out of basic humanity. The time for ranting and raving about how badly he coaches is months away yet, when the games actually mean something.

I very much doubt that Reid is going to be aware of our discussions on here and the sympathy (or otherwise) being expressed, but that doesn't prevent me taking a step back from my belief that we would do better with a different head coach. I'd feel very uncomfortable criticising him right now.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Aug 9 2012, 08:33 PM) *
Stop before you begin next time so I don't have to waste my time reading a childish, whiny, idiotic rant

You didn't follow my directions little boy. Use your indoor voice. Blow into a brown paper bag if you need to before you type.

As I've stated clearly multiple times, that's my entire point. Once he's back (which he is tonight), he's the HC of a contending franchise and there's no excuses for him due to his personal tragedy. My opinion is what has triggered your nervous breakdown.

Ok, so that's a sensitive subject. It's ok though, you and your partner can adopt if you move to Vermont. wub.gif

I understand your work experience is limited to being Ron Jeremy's fluffer, so I get why you posted such a poor example. If you want to pick a profession to discuss that is similar to being the HC of a football franchise, let's hear it, and I'll respond.

I posted a legitimate opinion on what I think he should do, and stated the simple fact that if he's going to be coach, he is going to have to put up with criticism for his mistakes, and he can't hide behind the fact that he isn't able to fulfill his duties because of a personal tragedy. You can disagree with me, but the ridiculous attacks on me for posting such an opinion borders on the insane. I hope when the season starts you don't PMS everytime someone disagrees with you on how a football game goes. Christ. rolleyes.gif

a great example of your intelligence.....hmmmm....gay jokes.....you are a prince..........but typical of the intelligently deficient and 12 year olds......which one are you?

maybe you were beaten up a lot as a child or picked last for everything in your life......whatever it is go get some help.....you seriously need it...

now commence with more gay jokes....or better yet, throw in some "your mom" jokes....

what sad human being.....
Reality Fan
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Aug 10 2012, 10:06 AM) *
Agreed.

I don't see how empathy for the reid family means a season mulligan. Death in a family is way more important than a 3rd & one but I don't believe one has anything to do with the other

If Reid can get back to coaching, the players can get back to playing, and lurie can get back to raking in millions.....why can't fans get back to being fans?

If Reid had decided to take off a season due to the tragic loss I would understand and I would critique the coaching of whoever took over. However that's him I saw on the sideline

I think even having a discussion on it and making it sound as if it is even relevant whether or not you can or should critique him is silly but there has to be compassion for the guy right now. Some here are ready to criticize him for a bad season before the games even start and that is insane.

That being said, I do think it speaks volumes about someone's character to feel no compassion for a father who has lost his child because he is a football coach of their favorite team, I would expect, and the overwhelming majority of fans have proven me right, that there would be some basic support from the "fans".

Reality Fan
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Aug 10 2012, 01:44 PM) *
That is kind of exactly NOT my point.

This is the time to get behind Reid out of basic humanity. The time for ranting and raving about how badly he coaches is months away yet, when the games actually mean something.

I very much doubt that Reid is going to be aware of our discussions on here and the sympathy (or otherwise) being expressed, but that doesn't prevent me taking a step back from my belief that we would do better with a different head coach. I'd feel very uncomfortable criticising him right now.

amen from across the pond
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Aug 10 2012, 01:44 PM) *

That's fine, and I respect your opinion. I would like my opinion respected as well, which is that since he's back, we are going to expect him to provide us with a good season and a playoff run, without any excuses. I have never bitched about what happens in preseason games because they are meaningless, I'm of course referring to when the games actually count. My opinion seems to be shared by at least a couple people here, so the raging PMS that has been directed at me from others seems to be little more than Reid apologists using his personal tragedy as a means to silence and defame his critics. I'm always behind the Eagles winning and thus behind him, and I'm entitled to my opinion on team personnel and coaches - that's the purpose of an Eagles fan forum IMO.
TGryn
I think the metrics which Lawlor laid out back in January remain valid, considering how last season went:

I think Reid needs to: * Win 12 games and/or
* Win the NFC East and/or
* Have a bye in the playoffs and/or
* Advance to the NFC title game

Anything less than that will likely be considered a failure and cost him his job. Backing into a division title at 9-7 and losing in the first round of the playoffs isn't going to cut it. The Eagles need to get back to being one of the best teams in the league. Period.

Barring a public breakdown as Vermeil had in '82, I don't know if we're going to be able to trace specific decisions on the field to any problems Reid might be having off the field. In the end, though, the NFL is a harsh field to work in, and you have to win or else. If we're sitting again at 4-8, the dominant feeling among the fans I think will be "Andy, we're all sorry for what you went though, but this isn't working anymore."
Reality Fan
QUOTE (TGryn @ Aug 10 2012, 08:58 PM) *
I think the metrics which Lawlor laid out back in January remain valid, considering how last season went:

Barring a public breakdown as Vermeil had in '82, I don't know if we're going to be able to trace specific decisions on the field to any problems Reid might be having off the field. In the end, though, the NFL is a harsh field to work in, and you have to win or else. If we're sitting again at 4-8, the dominant feeling among the fans I think will be "Andy, we're all sorry for what you went though, but this isn't working anymore."

I agree in as much as that by the time the regular season ends the unfortunate passing of a troubled son will be in the very back of the mind for most fans.........it will almost be an afterthought for most....but right now you have to feel for the guy
nephillymike
QUOTE (TGryn @ Aug 10 2012, 07:58 PM) *

Playing with the logic equation listed above it is a four way"or" statment so does not one of the four satisfy the equation?

In otrher words if they go 9-7 and win the division they would have satisfied one of the four, thus Reid is safe right?

If they go 9-7 and get in as a wildcard, then they would need to go to the NFCCG.

If they win 12 games, then he's safe no matter what they do in the playoffs.

If they win 11 and get a first round bye but lose their first game he's safe.

Point is, Lawlor seems to have given him a lot of outs in poker speak. Not that I disagree but just throwing the interpretation out there
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.