Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eagles sign Punter McBriar
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Two days after working out four veterans punter, the Eagles agreed to terms with veteran Mat McBriar on a one-year deal on Wednesday morning. McBriar will push Chas Henry, who was inconsistent as a rookie in 2011.

The Eagles have until 4 p.m. to make a corresponding roster move and keep the roster at 90 players.

McBriar, 33, spent eight seasons with the Cowboys from 2004-2011. He earned two Pro Bowl appearances -- one in 2006, another 2010 -- and led the NFL in punting average in both seasons. He is coming off a difficult 2011 season in which he finished with a 43.8 yard average and a 36.1 yard net average.

McBriar is an Australia native who is a former Austrialian rules football player.

From ...

Mule
He is good, but I am always wary of signing ex 'girls...post- Boniol, Darrin Smith trauma possibly.
TGryn
Minor thing of note: by signing McBriar after the July 22nd closing of the FA period, the Eagles likely kept an additional compensatory draft selection in next year's draft (& prevented Dallas from getting credit for losing another FA), since signings and losses after that date are not considered in the comp. draft calculations.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Mule @ Jul 25 2012, 01:34 PM) *
He is good, but I am always wary of signing ex 'girls...post- Boniol, Darrin Smith trauma possibly.

Boniol was inconsistent from long range, pretty solid otherwise, but I will forever like him for kicking the winning field goal in the first game I ever attended, 44-42 over Boomer's Bengals.

We've been spoiled rotten with David Akers, so we also forget that between Ruzek's years and Akers, Boniol was the only kicker we had who was even remotely worth a shit - Eddie Murray, Matt Bahr, Gary Anderson, and Norm Johnson anyone? I still remember Eagles vs. Bills in '93, we lost 10-7, Bahr missed 2 relatively easy field goals, one of them ended up being a spiral about 20 yards to the left of the upright, it actually went off-camera. Boniol was a godsend as far as I was concerned.
Dreagon
QUOTE (Mule @ Jul 25 2012, 12:34 PM) *

it all depends on whether that nerve finishes healing or not. There was no structural injury to his leg or foot, so if the nerve heals he will return to 100 percent. In that case you just picked up a very good punter on the cheap. If not, then he probably won't make it out of camp.

Although yalls FO might also put him on the PUP to see where he is six weeks into the season before cutting him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.