Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bad Newz Autobiographies
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
HOUSEoPAIN
Vick's autobiography hits the shelves just in time for the season. Personally I would've preferred he spent the offseason working on his game instead of writing, especially since people who have started to forget about the whole 'Bad Newz Kennels' thing are going to be treated to a fresh new look at what went on there. Interesting paragraph here:

"Back when I was involved in those activities, I may have become more dedicated to the deep study of dogs than I was to my Falcons playbook (Vick played in Atlanta from 2001-06). I became better at reading dogs than reading defenses. That's just so sad to say right now, because I put more time and effort into trying to master that pursuit than my own profession ... which was my livelihood ... which put food on the table for my family."

Glad to see he's taken up writing instead rolleyes.gif
D Rock
You don't actually believe he wrote it do you?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (D Rock @ Jul 17 2012, 06:10 PM) *
You don't actually believe he wrote it do you?

Literally did he write it? Of course not, I doubt he could pass a 5th grade english test. However he was most definitely there with the ghostwriter most if not all the time dictating his life experiences, and certainly his PR guy read the thing before it came out, which basically means his PR guy should be shot for allowing that paragraph that I posted above. Also like I said, he should concentrate on football for the rest of his contract instead of reminding people what he used to do as a hobby, that's just my humble opinion.
Clamdigger
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jul 18 2012, 10:27 AM) *
Literally did he write it? Of course not, I doubt he could pass a 5th grade english test. However he was most definitely there with the ghostwriter most if not all the time dictating his life experiences, and certainly his PR guy read the thing before it came out, which basically means his PR guy should be shot for allowing that paragraph that I posted above. Also like I said, he should concentrate on football for the rest of his contract instead of reminding people what he used to do as a hobby, that's just my humble opinion.

1) Michael Vick doesn't give a shit if you think he should be working on his game instead of writing books. I'm sure the potential $1,000,000+ payday from the book far outweighs your opinion in his mind. You literally want him watching film every waking second? Do you stay at your job until you're ready to go to sleep? Seems a bit um... demanding.

2) "I doubt he could pass a 5th grade english test" Sounds pretty racist. Vick isn't terribly inarticulate so where are you getting this from? Is it because he struggles with reading defenses because I didn't realize that was part of understanding the English language...

3) Why should his PR guy be shot? If there wasn't damning and shocking information about his past in the autobiography, then who the fuck is going to read it?

I'm not even a huge Vick fan, but some of you guys act like ultra-controlling spouses with this guy. What's the deal?
Keenan24
QUOTE (Clamdigger @ Jul 18 2012, 05:52 PM) *
1) Michael Vick doesn't give a shit if you think he should be working on his game instead of writing books. I'm sure the potential $1,000,000+ payday from the book far outweighs your opinion in his mind. You literally want him watching film every waking second? Do you stay at your job until you're ready to go to sleep? Seems a bit um... demanding.

2) "I doubt he could pass a 5th grade english test" Sounds pretty racist. Vick isn't terribly inarticulate so where are you getting this from? Is it because he struggles with reading defenses because I didn't realize that was part of understanding the English language...

3) Why should his PR guy be shot? If there wasn't damning and shocking information about his past in the autobiography, then who the fuck is going to read it?

I'm not even a huge Vick fan, but some of you guys act like ultra-controlling spouses with this guy. What's the deal?

+1

Dreagon
He has as much right to write a book as anybody else. I imagine the Eagles FO would have preferred a release in February or March, so this wouldn't have as much chance to be a distraction, but that's about the only angle I see them being concerned about. The rest is just going to depend on the tone and what he says in the book.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Jul 19 2012, 09:27 AM) *
I imagine the Eagles FO would have preferred a release in February or March, so this wouldn't have as much chance to be a distraction

That's half my point. This is going to be a distraction, I'm sure these guys read the newspapers and watch ESPN, and reaction will be all over the place. I'm sure his PR guy wanted this to happen with a release date coinciding with the start of the season, but it isn't good for his teammates and fans IMO.
HOUSEoPAIN
Ah ok, I get it - you're a Vick groupie who became an Eagles fan when he became an Eagle. Or perhaps you're actually his PR guy? unsure.gif

Michael Vick doesn't give a shit if you think he should be working on his game instead of writing books. I'm sure the potential $1,000,000+ payday from the book far outweighs your opinion in his mind. .

Thank you for pointing that out. I'm sure you're right - after all, he only makes $13 million a year, why concentrate on his profession when he can squeeze another $1 million by stirring it up as the season starts?

"I doubt he could pass a 5th grade english test" Sounds pretty racist.

If you aren't intelligent enough to formulate an argument and have to play the race card, then do me a favor and spare me the response. I think running a dogfighting ring while in the middle of a 10 year 130 million contract and losing it all and going to jail gives me license to question how smart he is, feel free to dispute. He's not 'terribly' inarticulate, you admit - neither is my 8-year old nephew.

Why should his PR guy be shot?

Again I'm sorry if you're his PR guy - as we get underway, this will start controversy, and rekindle the flames of people who don't like him. Paragraphs like the one I posted above are going to start distractions, and after last season's disaster, I would rather have him concentrating on winning some games this year instead of making the rounds on talk shows. If you were a real Eagles fan you'd probably agree.

mcnabbulous
I would almost guarantee that the Eagles were fully aware of his plans to write the book and release it at the time it was released.
Eyrie
I'd go as far as to say that this is a good time from Vick's point of view to release the book. Right now he's regarded as a reformed character and a top player in the NFL, so providing he shows sufficient honesty and contrition regarding his crimes then for many readers the matter is dealt with.

He can then release another autobiography once his career is over and the criminal charges and time spent in jail will be old news as he's already covered those. Had he waited until he retired then the focus would again have been on his crimes, and let's face it - that is the main selling point of his book unless he wins a SuperBowl.

From my point of view, I couldn't care less when he releases it as long as he plays lights out. Even then I'm always mindful of his past and the circumstances that resulted in his being available when Reid signed him.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jul 19 2012, 01:16 PM) *
From my point of view, I couldn't care less when he releases it as long as he plays lights out. Even then I'm always mindful of his past and the circumstances that resulted in his being available when Reid signed him.

Obviously we can all agree on that - my point is precisely that I think this will be a distraction. If it isn't and he goes 16-0 then he can write a trilogy for all I care.
Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jul 19 2012, 02:22 PM) *
Obviously we can all agree on that - my point is precisely that I think this will be a distraction. If it isn't and he goes 16-0 then he can write a trilogy for all I care.

Everything in Life is a distraction. As a professional it's their responsibility to make sure that they can play through 'distractions'.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Jul 19 2012, 02:31 PM) *
Everything in Life is a distraction. As a professional it's their responsibility to make sure that they can play through 'distractions'.

Agreed. If they can't handle this "distraction" they ain't winning any SuperBowls anyways.
Clamdigger
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jul 19 2012, 09:23 AM) *
Ah ok, I get it - you're a Vick groupie who became an Eagles fan when he became an Eagle. Or perhaps you're actually his PR guy? unsure.gif

Thank you for pointing that out. I'm sure you're right - after all, he only makes $13 million a year, why concentrate on his profession when he can squeeze another $1 million by stirring it up as the season starts?

If you aren't intelligent enough to formulate an argument and have to play the race card, then do me a favor and spare me the response. I think running a dogfighting ring while in the middle of a 10 year 130 million contract and losing it all and going to jail gives me license to question how smart he is, feel free to dispute. He's not 'terribly' inarticulate, you admit - neither is my 8-year old nephew.

Again I'm sorry if you're his PR guy - as we get underway, this will start controversy, and rekindle the flames of people who don't like him. Paragraphs like the one I posted above are going to start distractions, and after last season's disaster, I would rather have him concentrating on winning some games this year instead of making the rounds on talk shows. If you were a real Eagles fan you'd probably agree.

So I'm a Vick groupie that's dumb, who also moonlights as Vick's PR rep. I'm also not a real Eagles fan. Well, I'm glad you so thoroughly covered all of the points.

1. He's not stirring anything up. He's releasing a biography. I'm sorry that you feel he's made enough money and isn't entitled to pursue other business endeavors. Grow up.
2. So only stupid people or those who struggle with English tests get involved in inter-state gambling operations? I never knew. Lots of intelligent people engage is self-destructive behavior. Again, grow up.
3. This is only a controversy to idiots like you who think any NFL player actually gives a shit about media coverage of their team.
Reality Fan
I think before making emotional comments about this subject we should make sure we listen or learn the facts surrounding this. One key point that those killing Vick in this thread apparently missed was that he clearly said in an interview that he wrote the book in prison. So 1) he wrote the book(and I am sure he had some professional edit it and arrange it now) 2)it was essentially complete so it would serve as little distraction now because he...you guessed it....had already written it. I suggest looking for Brian Baldinger;s quotes on it on his radio show. I did not realize it but Baldy had some close ties to Atlanta while Vick was there and had some interesting comments on Vick then and now.

I think this was more therapy for Vick, personally although I read a tremendous amount I stay away from almost every athletic figures story because I could care less. If it was cathartic for him wonderful but who cares?

quick update.......although Vick said he wrote the book in prison an article on Philly.com says the co-authors(editors) have worked with him off and on over the last 2 years doing their own interviews and adding content......not surprising....
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Clamdigger @ Jul 20 2012, 09:09 PM) *
So I'm a Vick groupie that's dumb, who also moonlights as Vick's PR rep. I'm also not a real Eagles fan. Well, I'm glad you so thoroughly covered all of the points.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. Now go away and let the men talk, Vick groupie.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jul 20 2012, 10:17 PM) *
I think before making emotional comments about this subject we should make sure we listen or learn the facts surrounding this. One key point that those killing Vick in this thread apparently missed was that he clearly said in an interview that he wrote the book in prison. So 1) he wrote the book(and I am sure he had some professional edit it and arrange it now) 2)it was essentially complete so it would serve as little distraction now because he...you guessed it....had already written it. I suggest looking for Brian Baldinger;s quotes on it on his radio show. I did not realize it but Baldy had some close ties to Atlanta while Vick was there and had some interesting comments on Vick then and now.

I think this was more therapy for Vick, personally although I read a tremendous amount I stay away from almost every athletic figures story because I could care less. If it was cathartic for him wonderful but who cares?

quick update.......although Vick said he wrote the book in prison an article on Philly.com says the co-authors(editors) have worked with him off and on over the last 2 years doing their own interviews and adding content......not surprising....

Yeah I noticed that over the last couple of days - it's nice to see he wasn't spending the off-season writing it. Personally I don't care, and if this was released in March nobody would give a shit at all, I'm just saying they didn't have to release it at the start of the season. These guys definitely watch ESPN and read newspapers, and while professionals are supposed to not be distracted, a lot of them constantly get distracted. That's all I'm saying.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.