Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do YOU believe
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Interesting piece over on the 700Level regarding fans' belief in this version of the Eagles.
Here come the missing pages of the script. Compared to 2010, the differences are far more striking. Only SEVEN opening-day starters remain from two years ago, along with just a handful of coaches who were working in their current capacity. That is a massive undertaking for two seasons, never mind the fact that almost all of the really huge moves were slammed into one compacted offseason. When the lockout ended, new coaches were cramming new techniques into a larger-than-normal ensemble of incoming free agents, first- and second-year players, and players learning new positions altogether.

Looking back on it, stocked with Pro Bowlers as they were, the 2011 Eagles were visibly and critically flawed, and we should've recognized that (as some did) before their record dropped to 1-4, or later 4-8. For all of the big-name players they brought in, there were simply too many loose ends that never wound up being tied. That said, while the organization's aim was off the mark, the direction they charted may have pointed them toward the right path.

The crowning achievement from this offseason wasn't the rash of signings geared toward making their own players happy, nor the additions of Demetress Bell and DeMeco Ryans that should help the team avoid desperate straits at left tackle and middle linebacker, or even the defensive-minded draft that could pay dividends immediately. The most important thing management did this Winter and Spring was trim the fat away from last season until only the prime cuts were left. There is no more discontent in the ranks, the guys who ran their mouths are all gone, and so are the high-priced free agents who contributed nothing to the cause.

Sure, Reid, Castillo, and Vick are still in play, and whether any one of those ingredients is fit to produce a championship continues to be the greatest unknown for Philadelphia. Once the season is underway though, and everything else around them is firing on all cylinders, there aren't many teams more talented from top to bottom than the Eagles are now. Whether you choose to believe that or not, make no mistake, the Birds aren't flying under the radar in the eyes of their opponents -- and probably not for too much longer with the fan base, either.
HOUSEoPAIN
Interesting piece - but this paragraph pretty much sums up how I feel:

We're way past the point of persuasion with some folks, especially when it comes to the head coach, who it turns out is probably at the root of the matter. The biggest reason people are unwilling to get excited about the Birds, I'm often told condescendingly, is insanity. Leaving one man in charge for 14 years, regardless of whatever sweeping changes occur around him, can only be described as 'doing the same thing over and over again,' which apparently is the going definition of the word or something.

As the author mentions, it's just fan fatigue for those of us who haven't ordered 'Super Bowl Champion' t-shirts and hats yet - I'm excited about the upcoming season because any fan gets excited about a new football season, it's one of the best times of the year in sports, but we all know how it's going to end, even if we keep telling ourselves otherwise.
_KAMELOT_
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jun 1 2012, 04:20 PM) *

We're way past the point of persuasion with some folks, especially when it comes to the head coach, who it turns out is probably at the root of the matter. The biggest reason people are unwilling to get excited about the Birds, I'm often told condescendingly, is insanity. Leaving one man in charge for 14 years, regardless of whatever sweeping changes occur around him, can only be described as 'doing the same thing over and over again,' which apparently is the going definition of the word or something.

As the author mentions, it's just fan fatigue for those of us who haven't ordered 'Super Bowl Champion' t-shirts and hats yet - I'm excited about the upcoming season because any fan gets excited about a new football season, it's one of the best times of the year in sports, but we all know how it's going to end, even if we keep telling ourselves otherwise.

And that will be...?
koolaidluke
It took both Dungy and Cowher 15 years to win Superbowls. Last year we had the talent but just weren't able to put it all together in time. It was very similar to 2007 where we had one of the league's best teams by the end of the season but McNabb didn't recover from his injury until it was too late. The next year we went to the NFC Championship Game.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (_KAMELOT_ @ Jun 2 2012, 04:45 AM) *
And that will be...?

Around 10 wins, an early exit from the playoffs. If we win the division, we can draw a decent first round matchup and win a playoff game before losing in the 2nd round.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Jun 2 2012, 08:35 AM) *
It took both Dungy and Cowher 15 years to win Superbowls

If I had a dollar for eveytime I've heard this, the ultimate Reid apologist's straw-man non-argument. That statement has no logical bearing or relevance in any way. "Well, if it took Coach A 14 years, and we've had Coach B for 13 years, naturally Coach B will accomplish in the 14th year what Coach A did" rolleyes.gif
Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jun 2 2012, 11:44 AM) *
Around 10 wins, an early exit from the playoffs. If we win the division, we can draw a decent first round matchup and win a playoff game before losing in the 2nd round.

cheers.gif
Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jun 2 2012, 11:44 AM) *

cheers.gif
Eyrie
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jun 2 2012, 04:44 PM) *

You've just triggered my deja vu all over again.
Zero
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jun 2 2012, 10:52 AM) *
If I had a dollar for eveytime I've heard this, the ultimate Reid apologist's straw-man non-argument. That statement has no logical bearing or relevance in any way. "Well, if it took Coach A 14 years, and we've had Coach B for 13 years, naturally Coach B will accomplish in the 14th year what Coach A did" rolleyes.gif

Actually, it's very logical but you've misrepresented the logic. It's not that Reid WILL win it all because Dungy, whoever did it, it only means that some times it takes longer than the fans want for all the pieces to come together. Be clear, that also doesn't mean all the pieces WILL come together.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Jun 1 2012, 10:20 AM) *

I know people who trot out the 14 years stuff hate to have this brought up but the reality is an example of the how ridiculous the argument is exist 300 miles west and fairly recently. Cowher was into his 14th season before he won it all and his and Reid's coaching record are remarkably similar. As I said, those who trot out the "Reid will never win" silliness hate this fact and scoff at its presentation but that does not refute it. I have no idea what will happen this year but I have a good feeling about it, this is a good team, very good and if they don't go deep into the playoffs I think Reid walks because he knows he has a very good team that filled virtually every whole from coaching to personnel. Adding Ryans was a coup not only for his play at LB but it gave the D and actual leader and identity. I was having lunch with a good friend Thursday and he is a season ticket holder(40 yd line 4th row.....very nice) and it was sad to see 2 grown men gushing like 8 year olds about how much fun this season will be........
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jun 3 2012, 09:53 AM) *
to see 2 grown men gushing like 8 year olds about how much fun this season will be........

There's alot of us and most of us aren't saying the Eagles WILL win the SB, just give it a good run and MAYBE win that elusive last game.
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jun 3 2012, 05:14 AM) *
You've just triggered my deja vu all over again.

The deja vu that triggered for me was more akin to WIP, ie glass half empty ad nauseum.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Jun 5 2012, 01:08 AM) *
The deja vu that triggered for me was more akin to WIP, ie glass half empty ad nauseum.

You've always been a glass half full guy though, Dutch smile.gif
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jun 5 2012, 03:52 PM) *
You've always been a glass half full guy though, Dutch smile.gif

Right you are on that ole skirted Scotti! It's a way of life perhaps. People tried to tell me at 50 I shouldn't lift so much, I'ld hurt myself, I was toooo old. Same at 60 and now again at 70. But like everything else, I keep saying there are no limits, we can do more, never take the easy excuse nor the easy way out. The glass is always half full.
Matty™
Granted I'm not a fan of teams off-loading HC's within a season or two due to poor results, sometimes getting a truly spectacular season can take three of four bad ones. I also do like Reid, but alas I don't want him as our HC anymore.

14 seasons where every other season we perform above average, get the fans hopes up and push for the Superbowl only to fall at one of the last hurdles. He's been given more than enough time to 'gel' the team together, to make it his own, it is his own, the Philly Eagles may as well be the Reid Eagles.

I admired the Titans for parting ways with Fisher, Fisher did a great job in Tennessee but achieved little to nothing bar a number of good seasons for the fans to reminisce on. Fans don't want good season, Superbowl APPEARANCES, we all want the same thing and that's a ring and I think if you haven't done it in a decade, pack your bags and bow out gracefully.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.