Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's been a long time
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
One of the criticisms Lurie addressed last year was the less-than-friendly attitude of Reid towards the media and ultimately towards the fan base. How long has it been since the rank and file position coaches have been allowed to speak to the media in Eagletown? Now we're actually getting some information from them. I'm sure most of them are guarded with what they say, but this is new and interesting.

Listening to Washburn is fun and if he's allowed to continue to talk we should get some good stuff from him.
"It was me and him and Gregg Williams ooh, I shouldn't have said that," Washburn said, smiling. Williams, of course, is the man who was banished by the NFL for running a bounty program in New Orleans. Back then, Williams was the Titans' defensive coordinator.

Washburn figured that Williams' name isn't meant for polite NFL society at this point. So then he made sure to say it again.
jumpclap.gif
His Wide-9 defensive front, with the end lined up over the outside shoulder of the tight end, became the target of fans who could not believe how bad the Eagles were at stopping the run and holding leads at the beginning of last season. Washburn said he did not hear or read the criticism, on purpose. He said, "I don't need anybody to tell me what a dumb-ass I am. I already know."

And this is important, especially in the context of this man's apparent candor and honesty:
"That's the reason I came here," he said. "Because I knew this: they're going to give you tools here. Some places, they don't. Some places, they don't have the contingency plan. If somebody gets hurt, they don't have a way to plug somebody in. Here, they're going to get you players ... That's all a life-timer like me, a position coach, can ask, is to have the tools. They're going to do that."

HOUSEoPAIN
He is correct that they will go after good players, and we have a good track record of taking our d-line personnel seriously. Mix that in with a good coach like Washburn and you have arguably the best d-line in the league.
BirdsWinBaby
whoo the optimism is popping smile.gif

anyway this isnt new. washburn and mudd did a lot of talking last year. although most of it was about leaving the old team, why they came here what they like about the team, etc... they only got hired last offseason and the lockout was a factor for a lot of that time

secondly in regard to Lurie's comments about Reid giving the finger to the fans in his pressers....Mike Miss had AR on last week and asked AR specifically about why he doesnt give more to the fans in his PCs. AR denied that he has ever held back info or been arrogant. Mike reminded him that his OWNER said that he would ask AR to improve. will AR improve if he doesnt believe there was ever a problem?

personally i think most if not all HCs are arrogant. its part of the job. they are all prone to grunt an answer to 2 questions and storm off after a bad loss. most give more than AR in their PCs tho and thats just from sportscenter clips i see.
TGryn
Missanelli wouldn't be happy even if Reid let the media know the game plan before Sunday and let them make personnel moves. That's his schtick: no matter what any team does, MM'll find something to criticize.

Letting Washburn speak openly could be a double-edged sword. In the post-draft discussion online with Merrill and Spadaro, Washburn was talking about Cox and Curry and said in passing that he'd "coached a lot of kids like them my whole career, Southern black players." Spadaro quickly turned to another topic, sensing that Washburn was one sentence away from starting a HUGE controversy if he'd elaborated further on what exactly he meant by "Southern black players."
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (TGryn @ Jun 1 2012, 12:52 PM) *
Letting Washburn speak openly could be a double-edged sword. In the post-draft discussion online with Merrill and Spadaro, Washburn was talking about Cox and Curry and said in passing that he'd "coached a lot of kids like them my whole career, Southern black players." Spadaro quickly turned to another topic, sensing that Washburn was one sentence away from starting a HUGE controversy if he'd elaborated further on what exactly he meant by "Southern black players."

Wow. Get this man a teleprompter!
koolaidluke
QUOTE (TGryn @ Jun 1 2012, 12:52 PM) *
Missanelli wouldn't be happy even if Reid let the media know the game plan before Sunday and let them make personnel moves. That's his schtick: no matter what any team does, MM'll find something to criticize.

What are you talking about, Miss is always hanging off the Phillies balls. Remember how pissed he was when that New York guy said the Phillies wouldn't win the World Series this year? The fact is that the Phillies suck.

Spadaro quickly turned to another topic, sensing that Washburn was one sentence away from starting a HUGE controversy if he'd elaborated further on what exactly he meant by "Southern black players."

Haha. Stupid Spadaro. Such a company man.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.