Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vegas NFCE predictions
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I don't follow this stuff, I leave it mikey to fill us in on Vegas odds and the mathematical side of the Birds. But, I was just browsing bEast over a cup of coffee and was mildly surprised to read this:

Redskins – 6.5: They have a really good front 7 and a very under-the-radar, but talented set of skill position players on offense. Also, everyone craps all over their OL, and it’s fair to do so to some degree, but they suffered a bunch of injuries/suspensions last year, and had little continuity. I think they will be better there this year. And obviously, I need the obligatory “Rex Grossman won’t be their QB this year” comment. I just fear that secondary. Still, seven wins is reasonable. I’m bullish on the Skins. Over.Cowboys – 8.5: As usual, we have a team here that is star heavy at the top, but has virtually no depth and won’t win many battles in the trenches. As a general rule of thumb, I always think Vegas over-values the Cowboys, by design. The Cowboys are the most popular football team in the world, and people bet with their hearts. Vegas knows this. Under.

Giants – 9.5: The OL has all the makings of being a disaster. Hell, it was a disaster last year, and they won anyway. But that QB and that DL are both just too good to bet against. Over.

Eagles – 10: Ten? Come on, Vegas. Give me a line with a .5. This is team that is just too talented to think they’re going to only win 9 games (and yes, I remember that they only won 8 last year), but has too many nuclear possibilities (like Vick’s health) to have any sort of confidence in counting on them to get to 11. So… I’m going to go lame here… Push.

nephillymike
I said to my sons today on the way to the shore:

The Philadelphia Eagles will win the Super Bowl this year.

I have never said that at the beginning of any NFL season and only said it once during any NFL season, that being 1980 after beating Dallas and before going up against the Raiders.

Got a strong hunch on this one. This is the year it all comes together.
Zero
Shhhhh!

But, yep things feel good. Last year's embarassment will actually serve as a foundation for this year's work. Good players coming out of college who could actually contribute plus some good potential that didn't have that learning opportunity last year. Too bad about Peters, but maybe Bell will be able to fill that hole OK. Vick with his first off season as the man, happy DJax, happy Shady, happy Cole. Determined Aso, determined Graham, and ... Ryans!
Dreagon
Personally, I think the NFC East is going to be a black and blue mess.

The Redskins have probably gotten a win or two better. The Giants, after barely making into the playoffs and then getting hot at the right time, will probably return to form. Dallas did more solidifying at positions than really improving, with the possible exception of cornerback. The Eagles have improved but are already fighting injuries.

Actually, I think a 10 win season WILL win the division. The problem is I see all four teams giving each other enough fits that anything above 10 wins is going to be hard as hell to reach.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Dreagon @ May 27 2012, 05:22 PM) *
Personally, I think the NFC East is going to be a black and blue mess.

The Redskins have probably gotten a win or two better. The Giants, after barely making into the playoffs and then getting hot at the right time, will probably return to form. Dallas did more solidifying at positions than really improving, with the possible exception of cornerback. The Eagles have improved but are already fighting injuries.

Actually, I think a 10 win season WILL win the division. The problem is I see all four teams giving each other enough fits that anything above 10 wins is going to be hard as hell to reach.

It's all about RGIII - if he's great, the NFC East will be a god-awful mess. If he sucks, it should shake up like last year, with us, NYG, and Dallas vying for crucial wins at the end.
Dreagon
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ May 27 2012, 08:22 PM) *
It's all about RGIII - if he's great, the NFC East will be a god-awful mess. If he sucks, it should shake up like last year, with us, NYG, and Dallas vying for crucial wins at the end.

True.
If he actually does turn out good, and Washington ceases to suck...

I'm just not sure I remember how to handle a Redskins fan with something legitimate to brag about...
_KAMELOT_
Guys, get your heads together...we have 100 days until the regular season kicks off. Let's save the Super Bowl crap for later.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (_KAMELOT_ @ May 28 2012, 03:51 AM) *
Guys, get your heads together...we have 100 days until the regular season kicks off. Let's save the Super Bowl crap for later.

Seriously
koolaidluke
Dallas is on the verge of collapse. I can't believe anybody is giving them respect. They'll finish last.

The Redskins could be good but I'm not sure. Not sure about the Eagles or Giants either.
Dreagon
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ May 28 2012, 08:47 AM) *
Dallas is on the verge of collapse. I can't believe anybody is giving them respect. They'll finish last.

Actually, I'm going to disagree with this. Not out of homerism so much as what I said earlier...I think we worked more towards solidifying than we did improving this offseason. The probably reason for that was to forestall that very collapse you mentioned.

For the first time since Romo has been QB, we're actually trying to get at least serviceable interior linemen in front of him. Not great, mind you. But at least guys who can hopefully slow down that interior collapse that has given him fits lately. We've also made an effort to solidify our interior linebackers, so Sean Lee isn't back there doing it himself. Our pass rush will probably be about the same...unimproved, but a little deeper. The one area where we may HAVE improved is cornerback, which may or may not help the pass rush. On the other hand, it might take a half a season for the new guys to get in sync so we shall see.

We are still flaky at safety though, so we'll have to see how that pans out as well.

I think position wise we will be a threat for division title until the very end, although I'm certainly not guaranteeing we will get it. Pretty much the same as last year.
D Rock
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ May 28 2012, 01:10 PM) *
Seriously

Yeah. It's much more fun to piss and moan about the few minor holes in the roster. We're philly phans after all.

D Rock
QUOTE (Dreagon @ May 28 2012, 02:22 PM) *
Actually, I'm going to disagree with this. Not out of homerism so much as what I said earlier...I think we worked more towards solidifying than we did improving this offseason. The probably reason for that was to forestall that very collapse you mentioned.

For the first time since Romo has been QB, we're actually trying to get at least serviceable interior linemen in front of him. Not great, mind you. But at least guys who can hopefully slow down that interior collapse that has given him fits lately. We've also made an effort to solidify our interior linebackers, so Sean Lee isn't back there doing it himself. Our pass rush will probably be about the same...unimproved, but a little deeper. The one area where we may HAVE improved is cornerback, which may or may not help the pass rush. On the other hand, it might take a half a season for the new guys to get in sync so we shall see.

We are still flaky at safety though, so we'll have to see how that pans out as well.

I think position wise we will be a threat for division title until the very end, although I'm certainly not guaranteeing we will get it. Pretty much the same as last year.

The problem is, was and will be Romo. So long as that faker / choke artist is under center . . . you can expect great games followed by ludicrously lousy games. He's a head case and too distracted. If you're lucky enough to sneak into the playoffs, we all know Romo will choke in McNabb-esque fashion. This is who he is at this point. You can't expect a dog that old to learn new tricks (like NOT choking).
Phits
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 28 2012, 07:57 PM) *
The problem is, was and will be Romo. So long as that faker / choke artist is under center . . . you can expect great games followed by ludicrously lousy games. He's a head case and too distracted. If you're lucky enough to sneak into the playoffs, we all know Romo will choke in McNabb-esque fashion. This is who he is at this point. You can't expect a dog that old to learn new tricks (like NOT choking).

Hopefully you are mistaken, because we have a known 'choke artist' masquerading as our Head Coach. If all goes according to schedule we should see 10-12 regular season wins and a division title a relatively easy path to a conference championship and .......
koolaidluke
Jerry Jones owns the Cowboys. They can't do anything as long as he is in charge. Worst owner in football.
Dreagon
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ May 28 2012, 11:01 PM) *
Jerry Jones owns the Cowboys. They can't do anything as long as he is in charge. Worst owner in football.

Sadly, I can't offer much in the way of arguments to this....only that he isn't the WORST owner in football, just one of them. (at least he is trying to win even though he gets in his own way and doesn't realize it) But yes, I would be very happy to see him go. I'm just hoping that when he gets to old to interfere his son will either be better or have the sense to hire a real GM.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 28 2012, 07:55 PM) *
Yeah. It's much more fun to piss and moan about the few minor holes in the roster. We're philly phans after all.

A hallucinating small child's 'pissing and moaning' is another man's 'reality.' Believe me, I wish I could sit here and have fun with you guys, scouting out where I'm going to be standing on Broad Street during the victory parade (as we enter June) - but unfortunately, in my old age I'm bound by the laws of logic and experience. At bare minimum, before we go claiming the Lombardi trophy, can we at least see what our injury report and depth chart looks like after 3 pre-season games?

I forgot to ask, are we going 14-2 this year, or 15-1? rolleyes.gif
Eyrie
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ May 29 2012, 03:46 PM) *
I forgot to ask, are we going 14-2 this year, or 15-1? rolleyes.gif

19-0 by the sound of it.
Bez
QUOTE (nephillymike @ May 26 2012, 10:59 PM) *
I said to my sons today on the way to the shore:

The Philadelphia Eagles will win the Super Bowl this year.

I have never said that at the beginning of any NFL season and only said it once during any NFL season, that being 1980 after beating Dallas and before going up against the Raiders.

Got a strong hunch on this one. This is the year it all comes together.

Ok ... maybe ... but just to be sure ... your not the guy who was so sure Obama was going to be the real deal in 2008 were you ? I cant remember which who it was but it was one of the core crew here. biggrin.gif I would love to see everything click this year for the birds. It could be a wild season.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.