Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Impressions from rookie camp
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
TGryn
Rueben Frank's on WIP, and he just finished a segment talking about what he's seen at rookie camp. With the caveats that the vets aren't around, the pads aren't on, and this is the first NFL action for any of the rookies:

* He's been impressed with Boykin, said he doesn't seem that much smaller than Sheldon was when he was here. Thinks he could help immediately. Had a nice breakup of a throw to UDFA WR Elvis Akpla.

* Mentioned that the gap in experience between the practice squad guys and the rookies is easily noticeable. For example, OT D.J. Jones (who spent some time on the Ravens PS) looks better than any of the rookie OL in terms of footwork and technique. On the other side, DE Maurice Fountain (another PS guy) was taking apart 5th round pick Dennis Kelly.

* The format is more conducive to DL over OL, since the offensive line has to rely more on technique and that takes more time to learn, and that's how the battles are going so far.

* Spent some time talking about how the NFL pace is a big adjustment for the rookies - especially under the new CBA the coaches only have a limited amount of time to work with guys, so there's a lot more hustling in and out of exercises. Also talked a little about how guys like CB Harris and others are guys whose college career didn't go as hoped, but they're getting a second chance to realize their potential here.

* Nothing specific yet on Cox/Kendricks/Curry/Foles yet, he may get to them later.
koolaidluke
no mini camps mean anything, but whatevs

* He's been impressed with Boykin, said he doesn't seem that much smaller than Sheldon was when he was here. Thinks he could help immediately. Had a nice breakup of a throw to UDFA WR Elvis Akpla.

From what I have heard about Akpla, he is generally regarded as uncoverable. This is a good sign that Boykin was able to break up a pass intended for him.

That is interesting about the gap in experience between Rookies and former PS guys. The Eagles need to do a better job with developing UDFAs and practice squadders into good players.
TGryn
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ May 13 2012, 12:31 PM) *
That is interesting about the gap in experience between Rookies and former PS guys. The Eagles need to do a better job with developing UDFAs and practice squadders into good players.

At the NFL level even one bad step or inefficient movement is all it takes to give the opponent an edge, so I'd expect the coaching to hit on even small things that the rookies may never have known they were doing wrong, and didn't have to work on because they were so much better than the guys they were going up against. The PS guys have already had that instruction and time to shave off some of those rough edges, so not too surprising they're ahead of the curve early on.

It seems like the guys they brought in as UDFAs and the 7th rounder (Brown) this year have more than the usual mix of players with checkered pasts who are maybe more athletically gifted than some of the hard-working but maybe not as top-end-potential guys from major programs they've tended towards in the past. Whether that'll work out better, only time will tell.
Zero
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ May 13 2012, 03:31 PM) *
From what I have heard about Akpla, he is generally regarded as uncoverable.

I assume there's mucho tongue-in-cheek in that statement seeing as the kid went undrafted.
TGryn
More stuff from Frank:

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadel...&feedID=692

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadel...&feedID=692

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2012/5/...t-today-for-the
The #Eagles are bringing in 12 non-roster rookies for tryouts: S Drew Astorino (PSU), K Michael Barnard (F Dickinson), DB Willie Williams (East Mich), DB Wade Bonner (miss st), DB Kee-ayre Griffin (Temple), LB Jameson Frazier (BYU), LB Frederic Plesius (Baylor), LB Ryan Rau (Portland St), LB Sam Fehoko (Tex Tech), T Austin Hansen (Hawaii), DT Yywon Martin (UConn), WR Shamawd Chambers (wilfred Lauren).

We'll probably sign one or two of these guys and release a couple of the UDFAs who didn't show what the coaches were hoping for at the rookie camp. Its all just shuffling the bottom of the roster to see who steps it up enough to justify bringing into training camp.
Jerome Brown Experience
I keep hearing people talk about how strong Cox's hands are. I mean, I guess that is good and for a DT you definitely prefer strong hands to weak hands but what could he be doing to make this attribute shine in this environment, crushing garbage cans with one hand? Carrying Andy's lunch with only one hand? The mind boggles a bit, or at least mine does.
koolaidluke
Frequently you will hear DTs "strong hands" mentioned. I'm not sure how exactly one demonstrates it unless he is carrying around a "Mr Gripper" but I think it has something to do with the ability to win fist fights in the trenches. Not literal fist fights but those things where the DT and OG lock up and the DT uses his "strong hands" to knock away the OGs arms.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Jerome Brown Experience @ May 15 2012, 10:15 AM) *
Carrying Andy's lunch with only one hand?

Please don't give him any ideas - the last thing we need is another pre-season injury.....
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Jerome Brown Experience @ May 15 2012, 10:15 AM) *
I keep hearing people talk about how strong Cox's hands are. I mean, I guess that is good and for a DT you definitely prefer strong hands to weak hands but what could he be doing to make this attribute shine in this environment, crushing garbage cans with one hand? Carrying Andy's lunch with only one hand? The mind boggles a bit, or at least mine does.

I am with you on this one, some of the things you read from OTAs and TC crack me up........pure filler and total BS.
Jerome Brown Experience
I thought a bit about what a rave review would look like from this weekend and I think it would be:

1) Player showed up to camp in shape
2) Player wasn''t a dick
3) Player responded well to coaching (meaning that he did what he was told and adapted the coaching into his play)
4) Player seemed about as fast or strong as expected
5) Player seemed pretty intelligent

And that is really it. And in fairness to the press guys that would be a boring as shit story. Strong hands time!!!
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Jerome Brown Experience @ May 16 2012, 04:55 PM) *
1) Player showed up to camp in shape
2) Player wasn''t a dick
3) Player responded well to coaching (meaning that he did what he was told and adapted the coaching into his play)
4) Player seemed about as fast or strong as expected
5) Player seemed pretty intelligent

What used to be known as 'expectations' not 'fuck yeah!'
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.