Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interesting perspective on the Foles pick ...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
By Dan Graziano ESPN.com:

... the picks the Eagles got back from McNabb have netted them safety Nate Allen and linebackers DeMeco Ryans and Casey Matthews. That's two projected 2012 defensive starters and a guy, in Matthews, who will get at least some playing time. Not a bad haul for a player it's now clear was basically done at the time of the deal. Yes, McNabb did beat the Eagles once while with the Redskins in 2010, but he hasn't made a significant contribution since he left Philadelphia.

The Kolb trade brought back cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, and the picks that produced defensive end Vinny Curry and cornerback Brandon Boykin. Rogers-Cromartie is projected to be a starting cornerback for the 2012 Eagles. Boykin could be the nickel corner and a factor in the return game. Curry is likely to factor into the pass-rush rotation. Not a bad return for a quarterback who would have been their backup in 2011 had they kept him.

When you watch the Eagles' defense in 2012, you should get some idea why it's so important to Andy Reid to be deep at the quarterback position. This is why he drafted Nick Foles this year -- in the hopes that he eventually gets something out of him, whether it's actual playing time for the Eagles or something of value in trade. It's about more than just having good backup options behind starter Michael Vick. It's about how much quarterbacks are worth in today's NFL. By trading two of them over the past three offseasons, the Eagles have helped build their 2012 defense.

nephillymike
Good take on it.

Wow, we really turned tose backups into solid players.

So if a backup QB gets you an opportunity to get that much in return, then maybe it isn't such a bad thing after all.

However, he needs to be a good enough talent than when you shine him up and put him out there, he needs to perform so he is worth something.
koolaidluke
Well I think that last year showed just how important backup QB is. Young cost us the season. This goes doubly true when you have a guy like Vick who you know will miss 2 games a year.

Green Bay during their glory years managed to trade Brunell and Hasselback for first rounders. The Pats got a first for Cassell. So far we haven't been able to really hit paydirt but we have got 2nds for Kolb and Feeley.
xsv
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ May 5 2012, 10:14 AM) *
Well I think that last year showed just how important backup QB is. Young cost us the season. This goes doubly true when you have a guy like Vick who you know will miss 2 games a year.

Green Bay during their glory years managed to trade Brunell and Hasselback for first rounders. The Pats got a first for Cassell. So far we haven't been able to really hit paydirt but we have got 2nds for Kolb and Feeley.

Getting a 2nd for AJ fucking Feely was hitting paydirt, IMO. Getting DRC plus the second back that we used on Kolb wasn't too shabby either.

I was channel suring around the other day, and I came accross a program that detailed Northwesterns run a few years ago, with Mike Kafka as the QB. I was surprised to see how good this guy played in college. After watching that, I'm inclined to think that this guy might not be done just yet.

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (xsv @ May 6 2012, 11:32 AM) *
I was channel suring around the other day, and I came accross a program that detailed Northwesterns run a few years ago, with Mike Kafka as the QB. I was surprised to see how good this guy played in college. After watching that, I'm inclined to think that this guy might not be done just yet.

You should've seen Winston Justice play in college - DAMN he was good rolleyes.gif
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ May 6 2012, 02:10 PM) *
You should've seen Winston Justice play in college - DAMN he was good rolleyes.gif

Except for a terrible dropped non-reception by Maclin, Kafka would be the darling of our off-season hopes. (Read: many would hope Vic goes down and hope Kafka takes over!)
SLOiggles
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ May 6 2012, 03:50 PM) *
Except for a terrible dropped non-reception by Maclin, Kafka would be the darling of our off-season hopes. (Read: many would hope Vic goes down and hope Kafka takes over!)

If Maclin holds onto that pass the whole dynamic of the NFL changes last season. Then again...if we dont choke against the 49ers....yeah.....
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (SLOiggles @ May 7 2012, 09:53 PM) *
If Maclin holds onto that pass the whole dynamic of the NFL changes last season. Then again...if we dont choke against the 49ers....yeah.....

Unfortunately, Maclin had a lot to do with that one too
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.