Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More stoked today than before!
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I was really excited when I heard that FCox wanted the Eagles to draft him because he thought he's perfect for W9 and that increased when I read that Washburn and he bonded before the draft talking about hunting and a little football. When watched Spuds and Merril interview Vinny on the official site I thought my level of stokedness red-lined because the kid is a devout Eagles fan, as much as any of us or more. Two top picks who are on the perfect team for them, both for their skill set and their hearts. How could it get any better?

Then I listened to WIP today in the car and heard Kendricks (Angry Bird) get all giddy and teary eyed about being on the frukin PHILADELPHIA EAGLES baybee! Man, you have to listen to this. This is some good shit. We're gonna love this guy!

Mychal Kendricks podcast (link is funky ... click Gargano and Macnow on the left)
_KAMELOT_
He sounds fired-up and confident...no doubt, the Eagles need that.
koolaidluke
The crushing disappointment of last season made it impossible for me to get too excited about this year.

Hopefully this season all the big additions we made last year, plus our new guys will be enough to live up to the hype we had going into 2011.

Of course in hindsight, we were obviously a team in transition last year. We got ahead of ourselves by getting so excited.

I still say 9-7.
make_it_rain
I thought Vinny Curry was the guy who was the huge Eagles fan? I recall reading something about the draft where he didn't want the cameras in his house during draft night because he didn't feel like taking down all the Eagles stuff hanging up in his living room. Must be unreal to be that big of a fan of a team then get a call from them on draft day.

On an unrelated note, LOL @ that Seattle running back who was taking a dump when he got the call to tell him he was drafted.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ May 2 2012, 05:07 AM) *
Of course in hindsight, we were obviously a team in transition last year. We got ahead of ourselves by getting so excited.

Thank you Spadaro. We went 10-6 and lost to the Packers in the first round when we had SB expectations, and then the next year we're in TRANSITION?!?!? Umm no, it's called 'shitting the bed.' You can't tell your fan base you're Super Bowl contenders, then when you're 4-8 talk about how you're 'rebuilding' or 'in transition.' But yeah, I would expect 10-6 with an early exit. Again.
Zero
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ May 2 2012, 08:09 AM) *
I thought Vinny Curry was the guy who was the huge Eagles fan? I recall reading something about the draft where he didn't want the cameras in his house during draft night because he didn't feel like taking down all the Eagles stuff hanging up in his living room. Must be unreal to be that big of a fan of a team then get a call from them on draft day.

On an unrelated note, LOL @ that Seattle running back who was taking a dump when he got the call to tell him he was drafted.

Yeah, it is Curry who was/is a huge Eagle fan and has the Eagle shrine in his house but apparently Cox and Kendricks are almost as psyched to be on the Eagles. That in itself doesn't mean they'll be any good but it's nice to have highly rated players who want to be on the team they're on!
koolaidluke
When you totally revamp your defensive scheme (which by the time McDermott left was giving up well over 25 points per game), add two new players in the secondary and replace 2 of your LBs all with no offseason than yeah, you are in transition. It took our defense until game 6 just to not be horrible. Not even good, just not awful. Our D didn't really start to play well until the last 4 games of the season.

You add that to the fact that we obviously picked the wrong guy to be our backup QB and it is clear that there were a lot of kinks that needed to be worked out, even if that wasn't apparent in August.

Even with everything that went wrong last year we would still have at least made the playoffs had Kafka started instead of Young in the games Vick was out. After that who knows how far we'd have gone, we were the hottest team in the league by the end of the year.
Jerome Brown Experience
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ May 2 2012, 12:35 PM) *
When you totally revamp your defensive scheme (which by the time McDermott left was giving up well over 25 points per game), add two new players in the secondary and replace 2 of your LBs all with no offseason than yeah, you are in transition. It took our defense until game 6 just to not be horrible. Not even good, just not awful. Our D didn't really start to play well until the last 4 games of the season.

You add that to the fact that we obviously picked the wrong guy to be our backup QB and it is clear that there were a lot of kinks that needed to be worked out, even if that wasn't apparent in August.

Even with everything that went wrong last year we would still have at least made the playoffs had Kafka started instead of Young in the games Vick was out. After that who knows how far we'd have gone, we were the hottest team in the league by the end of the year.

Yeah, there were a ton of moving parts last year and the very short offseason didn't help at all. We had new line coaches on both sides of the ball, a modified defensive scheme and a ton of new faces on the team.

We were also two Maclin drops and a few Vick INTs early in the season away from having a pretty darned good year.

I am not as pessimistic as some about where we are heading into next year.
HOUSEoPAIN
When you totally revamp your defensive scheme (which by the time McDermott left was giving up well over 25 points per game)

Ok, but that's not what we were sold - we were sold 'Super Bowl contenders' - I predicted 10-6 last year myself and thought Juan Castillo was a joke to be picked as DC, so I didn't believe them, but put your money where your mouth is. Post for me your predictions from last year - I highly doubt it was '9-7, we're in transition.' I would wager it was one of those ludicrous '12-4' or '13-3' predictions I heard from fellow Eagles fans.

add two new players in the secondary

Uh yeah, you're referring to Aso and DRC? Seriously? If we signed Aaron Rodgers and Jason Witten tomorrow, would we be 'in transition?'

and replace 2 of your LBs

Our LBs have sucked for going on 8 years. We finally signed a good one, great! But this is irrelevant.

with no offseason

Nobody had an off-season. This didn't seem to effect the teams that didn't shit the bed last year.
HOUSEoPAIN
We had new line coaches on both sides of the ball, a modified defensive scheme and a ton of new faces on the team.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - if not for the outstanding efforts of Mudd, Washburn, and our corners, I think we go 5-11 or 6-10 last year, maybe even worse.

I am not as pessimistic as some about where we are heading into next year.

I think we'll be better than last year, but again, we're being sold Super Bowl contenders, already there's a ton of Eagles fans predicting we win it all. I just think that's insane. It's not IMPOSSIBLE, but if you're betting money on it, you might as well just give your money to charity, then you'll be parting with it anyway but aqt least you'll feel good.
Jerome Brown Experience
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ May 2 2012, 12:55 PM) *
I've said it before and I'll say it again - if not for the outstanding efforts of Mudd, Washburn, and our corners, I think we go 5-11 or 6-10 last year, maybe even worse.

You may be right and by the end of the season I think the coaching systems had clicked in and the team was executing the plan. I'm not sure that we can't give Castillo some of the credit as well, which blows my mind a little.

QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ May 2 2012, 12:55 PM) *
I think we'll be better than last year, but again, we're being sold Super Bowl contenders, already there's a ton of Eagles fans predicting we win it all. I just think that's insane. It's not IMPOSSIBLE, but if you're betting money on it, you might as well just give your money to charity, then you'll be parting with it anyway but aqt least you'll feel good.

Well that is true with any team. I mean, would you bet money that the Patriots, Giants or Packers will win at even money? I guess where I am netting out is that if you had to pick 5 teams and say "one of these 5 will be in the SB" the Eagles would almost certainly be in my 5, and that is not a terrible place to be.

make_it_rain
Eh, I'm not so sure about that.

Pittsburgh
New England
San Francisco
Green Bay
Houston

To me at least, I'd pick any of those 5 over the birds to get to the Super Bowl. I'd place the eagles in a sort of second tier, "fringe" category, along with the likes of Baltimore, Detroit, Atl, NYG, etc.

That being said, I think it's OK just being in the fringe. The problem is we shit the bed and fell just short of the fringe last season. More and more, we're seeing that you just need to get into the playoffs, then the volatile, one and done nature of the playoff system gives anyone a shot to run the table.

Well, mostly anyone but the Philadelphia Early Exits Eagles that is unsure.gif

I jest. I like where we are (I know we've all heard this before). I just can't in good conscience predict SB runs for this team (or hell most teams for that matter).

Let's focus on not starting 4-8, then let the cards fall where they may if we're fortunate enough to get into the playoffs
Jerome Brown Experience
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ May 2 2012, 02:37 PM) *

Pittsburgh
New England
San Francisco
Green Bay
Houston

To me at least, I'd pick any of those 5 over the birds to get to the Super Bowl. I'd place the eagles in a sort of second tier, "fringe" category, along with the likes of Baltimore, Detroit, Atl, NYG, etc.

That being said, I think it's OK just being in the fringe. The problem is we shit the bed and fell just short of the fringe last season. More and more, we're seeing that you just need to get into the playoffs, then the volatile, one and done nature of the playoff system gives anyone a shot to run the table.

I jest. I like where we are (I know we've all heard this before). I just can't in good conscience predict SB runs for this team (or hell most teams for that matter).

Let's focus on not starting 4-8, then let the cards fall where they may if we're fortunate enough to get into the playoffs

I like us better than Pittsburgh and Houston and maybe even the 49ers as well, but I definitely see where the support comes from. Your point is dead on; it is very difficult to predict a SB for anyone.....I just think the Eagles have better than a puncher's chance this year.

Of course if Vick comes out and plays as poorly as he did last year all bets are off.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Jerome Brown Experience @ May 2 2012, 02:06 PM) *
Well that is true with any team. I mean, would you bet money that the Patriots, Giants or Packers will win at even money?

I said 'even money' but it was more a figure of speech - personally it would take some serious odds to have me put money on the Eagles to make a SB run - I wouldn't touch NY, and I probably only wouldn't touch NE/GB because the odds would be shitty. In fact, here's what the odds were immediately following this past Super Bowl. 6-1 for us?!?!? Please. If it was 10-1 I might put some dough on it for the sake of risk/reward.

SanFran at 10-1 is a great pick, they should've been in it last year. What really catches my eye is Baltimore at 20-1, I'd put some dough on that.

Anyways, I would put the Eagles in the 2nd tier as MIR said. That's not a bad place to be, I'm just saying it's ridiculous to expect a Super Bowl this year (at this point).
D Rock
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ May 2 2012, 04:55 PM) *

Actually, Vegas has us as 12 to 1 odds at winning it all this upcoming year with only 4 teams (Green Bay, New England, New Orleans and S.F.) having better odds.

So Vegas would disagree with your assessment.

Just sayin is all...
Zero
I haven't seen any W-L predictions on this board yet, but I may have missed it. The thread started out about how our top three draft picks were pumped to be playing in Philadelphia.

Talk about degenerative thread disease. biggrin.gif
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 2 2012, 05:12 PM) *
Actually, Vegas has us as 12 to 1 odds at winning it all this upcoming year with only 4 teams (Green Bay, New England, New Orleans and S.F.) having better odds.

So Vegas would disagree with your assessment.

Just sayin is all...

The link I showed is from February, and it isn't MY assessment. But if we're 12 to 1, that's good enough to get a bet out of me.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Zero @ May 2 2012, 05:24 PM) *
The thread started out about how our top three draft picks were pumped to be playing in Philadelphia.

It's cool that they're pumped and we have a legit Eagles fan as a draft pick. There, back on topic tongue.gif
D Rock
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ May 3 2012, 12:54 AM) *
The link I showed is from February.

Then why post it? It's worthless. Not unlike your previously offered assessment.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (D Rock @ May 2 2012, 09:29 PM) *
Then why post it? It's worthless. Not unlike your previously offered assessment.

What's the difference? Our draft picks? Tell me your predictions for the season. 13-3 are we?
D Rock
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ May 2 2012, 05:55 PM) *

Is that not your assessment?

QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ May 3 2012, 02:32 AM) *
What's the difference? Our draft picks? Tell me your predictions for the season. 13-3 are we?

Yeah. The draft picks are "the difference." You don't think changes to team's rosters have any affect on odds in Vegas? You may be even dimmer than your rhetoric would have one already believe. I would think our rookie haul and Demeco Ryan pick up is good for 2 or 3 wins that we might have otherwise not have earned based on the fact that shit linebacking alone led to at least 2 losses this past season.
HOUSEoPAIN
Is that not your assessment?

Yes it is. Putting $100 on the Eagles 12-1 is ok for fun, in terms of risk/reward

Yeah. The draft picks are "the difference." You don't think changes to team's rosters have any affect on odds in Vegas? You may be even dimmer than your rhetoric would have one already believe. I would think our rookie haul and Demeco Ryan pick up is good for 2 or 3 wins that we might have otherwise not have earned based on the fact that shit linebacking alone led to at least 2 losses this past season.

Well, we've had much better teams than this fall short. You're assuming that these draft picks will add wins immediately, which is the kind of stupidity that led to assuming Mike Mamula was going to lead us to a SB. And once again, you say McNabb wasn't a top-30 QB after '04, which automatically puts you in the 'bi-polar know-nothing' group that makes up about 20% of Eagles fans. You don't have the prowess or ability to analyze Forrest Gump's intelligence, so your points are irrelevant. And you're still dodging the quesition - what are YOUR predictions for us this year? 13-3, we win the SB by 40 pts?
Jerome Brown Experience
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ May 2 2012, 09:49 PM) *
Well, we've had much better teams than this fall short. You're assuming that these draft picks will add wins immediately, which is the kind of stupidity that led to assuming Mike Mamula was going to lead us to a SB. And once again, you say McNabb wasn't a top-30 QB after '04, which automatically puts you in the 'bi-polar know-nothing' group that makes up about 20% of Eagles fans. You don't have the prowess or ability to analyze Forrest Gump's intelligence, so your points are irrelevant. And you're still dodging the quesition - what are YOUR predictions for us this year? 13-3, we win the SB by 40 pts?

Well.....hold on for one sec.

For context I want to repeat - I think the Eagles are one of the top 5 teams in the league, but I am not saying that they will or should win the SB.

But let's compare them to teams of the recent past that arguably had a 50% or better shot in the end. The 2002 team should have won the SB. Had Mike Vrabel not concussed our QB in 2004 we may well have won that one. The 2008 shit the bed on 4th and 2.

Is this team as good as any of those three teams? Well......I think they may be.

Quickly, here is why (we can go into waaaaay more detail but I need to poop. And masturbate. Not at the same time.):

- As others have noted, the Eagles were in the top 5-10 teams by the end of the season. The defense was playing well and the new coaching systems were ingrained. They were gelling. We entered last season as a good unproven team with a lot of new parts. We enter this season as a good, moderately proven team with some nice additions.
- The major positions they have added - DT, DE and OLB - in the draft this year are arguably the quickest to learn on the defensive side of the ball, so I do think we will see contribution from these guys.
- DeMeco Ryans could be playing on a stump as opposed to a leg and he will still be better than everyone else we trotted out at the MIKE last season.
- Vick can't have as bad a season as he had last year. It is a testament to DeSean Jackson's overall benevolence that he didn't try to shiv Vick in a huddle.
- Shady may regress, but I think that the O-line should stay the same as (apart from Peters - a big loss) they have been in the Mudd system for full year and they are healthier. This bodes well for Shady.

There are other PoVs too. We may get some injuries and lord know at some positions such as LB we don't have much depth. If Nate Allen doesn't come back strong we don't really have a safety. We have a tough schedule. But I don't see the Cowboys being much better than they were last year and the Redskins really seem to have a ton of holes. I feel pretty confident that this team will be at least a 10 win team.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ May 2 2012, 02:37 PM) *

Pittsburgh
New England
San Francisco
Green Bay
Houston

you lost me here........I get Green Bay but after that? New England? Brady mystique or awe? ok....not pittsburgh....San Fran...flavor of the month...maybe.

But the one that really gets me....Houston? Really? a team that made the playoffs for the first time last year and then dropped 3 of their best players to cut salary? Really? That one stuns me.....
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Jerome Brown Experience @ May 2 2012, 10:18 PM) *
I feel pretty confident that this team will be at least a 10 win team.

Yeah. So do I, I said 10-6. I think they will be an improved team, and I'm optimistic this will at least be a fun year to watch. But I disagree they're a top 5 team, and in fact I think they barely break the top 10. I'll gladly take whatever crap you wanna give me if they win the SB, fair enough?
make_it_rain
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 3 2012, 10:58 AM) *
you lost me here........I get Green Bay but after that? New England? Brady mystique or awe? ok....not pittsburgh....San Fran...flavor of the month...maybe.

But the one that really gets me....Houston? Really? a team that made the playoffs for the first time last year and then dropped 3 of their best players to cut salary? Really? That one stuns me.....

New England, to me, as long as they have Brady playing anything like he did last year (or the years prior) and Bellichik calling the shots, will always be a threat to get there. So yeah, I guess you could call it Brady mystique. I think that just speaks volumes about the value of having a top 5 QB, and how far those 5 have separated themselves from the other 27 starters.

San Francisco also has an advantage of playing 6 games against the NFC Worst West, but they have a dominating, young defense and strong rushing attack. They picked up Manningham and Randy Moss, which while not stud pickups, give some depth to a receiving corps that was pretty lacking, and a bit more balance to a pretty one dimensional offense. Alex Smith is, well, Alex Smith, and admiteddly the soft spot of this team. But, given their division I think they're a pretty good pick to get one of the 4 top seeds in the NFC (e.g they win their division).

Again, I'm not saying they go all the way, but given they way the offseason / division alignments go, I like their chances to get to the SB. They were a Kyle Williams fumble away from getting there last year.

Houston is currently sitting at the same odds in Vegas to get to the SB as the Eagles. They have a top 5 defense (although your point about the loss of Williams, Ryans is well taken), one of the top receivers in the game, an All Pro running back and one of the best offensive lines in the league to block for him. Also, harping on my theme of divisional opponents, they get 6 games against Tennessee, Indianapolis, and Jacksonville. I really like their chances to win the AFC south, which will get them at least one home game in the playoffs, and if (and this is a HUGE if) Schaub stays healthy I think they can make a run. Hell, they came pretty close to getting to the AFC championship game last season with T.J Yates. Oh, and they did all of that with most of their bigtime players (Andre Johnson, Schaub, Williams) missing a LOT of playing time last season.
Jerome Brown Experience
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ May 3 2012, 10:58 AM) *
Yeah. So do I, I said 10-6. I think they will be an improved team, and I'm optimistic this will at least be a fun year to watch. But I disagree they're a top 5 team, and in fact I think they barely break the top 10. I'll gladly take whatever crap you wanna give me if they win the SB, fair enough?

Yeah, I think that is pretty fair. :-)
Reality Fan
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ May 3 2012, 02:08 PM) *
Houston is currently sitting at the same odds in Vegas to get to the SB as the Eagles. They have a top 5 defense (although your point about the loss of Williams, Ryans is well taken), one of the top receivers in the game, an All Pro running back and one of the best offensive lines in the league to block for him. Also, harping on my theme of divisional opponents, they get 6 games against Tennessee, Indianapolis, and Jacksonville. I really like their chances to win the AFC south, which will get them at least one home game in the playoffs, and if (and this is a HUGE if) Schaub stays healthy I think they can make a run. Hell, they came pretty close to getting to the AFC championship game last season with T.J Yates. Oh, and they did all of that with most of their bigtime players (Andre Johnson, Schaub, Williams) missing a LOT of playing time last season.

I agreed with your logic for New England, I don't agree with the pick but I get your reasoning. I also disagree with San Fran because Harbaugh got every ounce of blood he could from that team.......the party won't be so much fun this season.

Houston, however, is a bad call. They played that same weak schedule last year and lost their last 3 to some seriously bad teams. They went 4-2 in their division last year and 2 of those teams hit bottom......they should all be better(well, Tenn. may hurt some). Houston is more a good story than a real situation......they have a decent team and that is it. They have a great WR, a pretty RB and a QB who said WR has made look good. Their D is decent also but they are an average team. They got lucky playing a surprising Bengals team in round 1 otherwise that would have been it.
make_it_rain
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 3 2012, 03:37 PM) *
I agreed with your logic for New England, I don't agree with the pick but I get your reasoning. I also disagree with San Fran because Harbaugh got every ounce of blood he could from that team.......the party won't be so much fun this season.

Houston, however, is a bad call. They played that same weak schedule last year and lost their last 3 to some seriously bad teams. They went 4-2 in their division last year and 2 of those teams hit bottom......they should all be better(well, Tenn. may hurt some). Houston is more a good story than a real situation......they have a decent team and that is it. They have a great WR, a pretty RB and a QB who said WR has made look good. Their D is decent also but they are an average team. They got lucky playing a surprising Bengals team in round 1 otherwise that would have been it.

Fair enough. Out of curiosity, who would your 5 be?
Jerome Brown Experience
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 3 2012, 03:37 PM) *
I also disagree with San Fran because Harbaugh got every ounce of blood he could from that team.......the party won't be so much fun this season.

Dead on.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Jerome Brown Experience @ May 3 2012, 04:34 PM) *
Dead on.

Dead wrong. Your backup punt returner singlehandedly giving the NFC championship game to your opponent with two major screwups wouldn't strike me as getting 100% out of your guys. San Fran is an elite team, definitely in the top 5 and they should've been in the Super Bowl.
Birdman420
An elite football team sure, But there was nothing elite about the person playing the #1 possition on their team. If they had a mobile ball slinger as a QB they would have easily made it to the big one.

Smith is as advertised, A game manager
Reality Fan
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ May 3 2012, 04:20 PM) *
Fair enough. Out of curiosity, who would your 5 be?

honestly? too early to tell.........part of me thinks the Eagles will be a really tough team this season......they have a dynamic offense and people really overreacted to the D last year..........I am not blind faith guy but I think the Eagles were much better than they showed......they tried to do too much in too little time and it bit them in the ass.

I think Green Bay is tough with its continuity, I can cede the New England point after looking at the 35 WRs they have signed this offseason.........beyond that I don't think there are any teams that are above the Eagles.....

I will let you know closer to the season...
Reality Fan
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ May 3 2012, 04:49 PM) *
Dead wrong. Your backup punt returner singlehandedly giving the NFC championship game to your opponent with two major screwups wouldn't strike me as getting 100% out of your guys. San Fran is an elite team, definitely in the top 5 and they should've been in the Super Bowl.

but they weren't.........The Eagles should have beaten Tampa.....and New England but they didn't.

When your hopes are pinned on Alex Smith and a prayer that Gore doesn't get hurt you are not elite.

I said it last year and Ray Diddinger traded emails with me about this.......They returned virtually their entire D team intact coming into a season with very little prep time, they did will in a terrible division.....the party won't be so much fun this year...
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ May 3 2012, 07:21 PM) *
but they weren't.........The Eagles should have beaten Tampa.....and New England but they didn't.

When your hopes are pinned on Alex Smith and a prayer that Gore doesn't get hurt you are not elite.

I said it last year and Ray Diddinger traded emails with me about this.......They returned virtually their entire D team intact coming into a season with very little prep time, they did will in a terrible division.....the party won't be so much fun this year...

Well I'm a big fan of the Harbaughs (mostly from John turning our ST from a liability into one of the finest units in the league), I don't give a rat's ass about the 49ers but I think John and Jim are 2 of the 5 best coaches in the league. Hoping Gore doesn't get hurt is the same thing as NE hoping Brady doesn't get hurt, or us hoping McCoy or Vick don't get hurt, or GB hoping Rodgers doesn't get hurt.....you get the idea. Point is, assuming they stay healthy I think they can compete with the best in the league. They're in a terrible division yes, but they won 13 games last year, obviously they can win outside of the West. I'll tell you the same thing I told JBE, if we win you can give me all the crap you want, and I'll gladly take it tongue.gif
Birdman420
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ May 3 2012, 08:19 PM) *
if we win you can give me all the crap you want, and I'll gladly take it tongue.gif

Have your cake and eat it too HOP
_KAMELOT_
I think the Pats are always an early favorite for the SB. I don't know about the 49ers...they'll have to play some serious offense in 2012, they won't go that far with the same plan.

I'd say the Patriots and the Packers are the only teams that I'd bet on now to get to the big game...i like the Ravens too, but Flacco is a liability.
make_it_rain
I liked the Ravens a lot more before Terrell Suggs decided to go shoot some hoops and tear his ACL in the process.

Fortunately, they have a world class offense with Joe Flacco to fall back on cool.gif
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ May 4 2012, 09:17 AM) *
I liked the Ravens a lot more before Terrell Suggs decided to go shoot some hoops and tear his ACL in the process.

I'd love to have heard Harbaugh's initial reaction to that.....probably invented some interesting word combinations.
make_it_rain
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ May 4 2012, 09:29 AM) *
I'd love to have heard Harbaugh's initial reaction to that.....probably invented some interesting word combinations.

Yeah, Suggs already came out and tried to claim he was "conditioning" or something like that so he doesn't look like a fool, but from what I've read it just seems like really bad luck.

Oh, and I was wrong in my earlier post, he tore his Achilles. Pretty brutal beat for the DPOY.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ May 4 2012, 09:38 AM) *
Pretty brutal beat for the DPOY.

laugh.gif At least he wasn't palying ping-pong - he can perhaps live this one down....
Reality Fan
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ May 3 2012, 08:19 PM) *
Well I'm a big fan of the Harbaughs (mostly from John turning our ST from a liability into one of the finest units in the league), I don't give a rat's ass about the 49ers but I think John and Jim are 2 of the 5 best coaches in the league. Hoping Gore doesn't get hurt is the same thing as NE hoping Brady doesn't get hurt, or us hoping McCoy or Vick don't get hurt, or GB hoping Rodgers doesn't get hurt.....you get the idea. Point is, assuming they stay healthy I think they can compete with the best in the league. They're in a terrible division yes, but they won 13 games last year, obviously they can win outside of the West. I'll tell you the same thing I told JBE, if we win you can give me all the crap you want, and I'll gladly take it tongue.gif

Do you mean New England when Brady got hurt and the Pats went 11-5 with an unknown QB? Or Green Bay's Matt Flynn setting an NFL record in that system..........sure teams will miss a star going down but most teams have significant talent to soften the blow. The Niner's have nothing to do that......if Gore gets hurt they don't have a QB to pick up the slack.......and if either Vick or McCoy goes down the other has the ability to make up for it.

I get it, you are a San Fran fan...........I have been just as frustrated by the Eagle's losses in the first half of the last decade just like you are still reeling from the niner's loss in the playoffs. It gets easier.......trust me.

San Fran is not a bad team but they are no Juggernaut.....and that was the point of all this....you think they are better than the Eagles and I don't........
HOUSEoPAIN
Do you mean New England when Brady got hurt and the Pats went 11-5 with an unknown QB?

Precisely. I understand many Eagles fans have been brainwashed into thinking double digit wins = 'success,' but they had Super Bowl expectations, not just 'hope.' And they ended up missing the playoffs and watching the DOLPHINS win the division. Matt Cassell was a great backup in that system obviously, which is why he's not there anymore.....now their backup is Brian Hoyer - he attempted one pass last year (but he completed it!).

Or Green Bay's Matt Flynn setting an NFL record in that system

Precisely. He edged out the Lions in an amazingly fun-to-watch shootout - which is why the Seahawks decided to give him a chance to compete with Tavaris Jackson for the starting job. I believe GB's backup is currently Graham Harrell. But I have no doubt he can carry the torch if Rodgers goes down (I can't seem to find any stats on him - has he ever attempted an NFL pass?)

if either Vick or McCoy goes down the other has the ability to make up for it

If Vick goes down we can pound the ball all day with McCoy and still be respectable, but we're not winning any titles. If McCoy goes down? We'll wish for another 8-8 season.....

I get it, you are a San Fran fan...........

No you don't 'get it.' That's why you're arguing that NE and GB will be fine without Brady and Rodgers, which at best is delusional. Pointing out the obvious fact that a 13-3 team that was 2 muffed punts away from a Super Bowl is better than an 8-8 team who can't afford injuries to any of its offensive stars doesn't make me a San Fran fan. it makes me a 'Reality Fan.'

you think they are better than the Eagles and I don't........

No, I KNOW they're better, because besides what I just wrote about the results of last season, they also embarassed us at home last year - and that was with Vick having a record setting day of his own.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.