Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rut Row
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Not a good sign when he has nothing on NFL.com.

No ratings Nadda.

Who let Howie back in the draft room?

Wasn't he supposed to be out all day picking up lunch and dinner??

Anyone??
Jerome Brown Experience
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 28 2012, 02:52 PM) *

No ratings Nadda.

Anyone??

I am starting to sound like an apologist for the team and I don't like being that guy, but Kelly was a three year starter at LT for a major college program so he can't be a complete shitacle.

He is described as being tough as all shit in one of the write ups and while not an elite OT a good one.

I can honestly say I am more excited about his arrival in training camp than Danny Watkins'. Danny Watkins has exacerbated my hatred of firemen and Canadians both.
mcnabbulous
Was also the offensive MVP for Purdue two years running. It's all about upside at this point in the draft. Have faith in thee Mudd.
koolaidluke
The fact that he was a durable starter with great size at Purdue for several years and STILL wasn't considered a draftable prospect by most indicates he probably blows.

We'll see what Mudd can do.
_KAMELOT_
I don't like that pick, but it really doesn't matter. We have Bell, Herremans, Dunlap and Peters on the team, he was just brought in to add depth. Truth is I don't know a lot about him...
Eyrie
I'm sure that Mudd had a large input here, so I'm happy with Kelly as a development pick.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Apr 29 2012, 04:27 AM) *
I'm sure that Mudd had a large input here, so I'm happy with Kelly as a development pick.

IMO, One that we should not have wasted a 5th round pick on but picked up in the 7th round or UDFA.
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 29 2012, 07:53 AM) *
IMO, One that we should not have wasted a 5th round pick on but picked up in the 7th round or UDFA.

I think this draft proved that the "draft experts" and we fans don't have a clue as to what the teams really think of these prospects. I'm sure Mudd had a lot to say about who we picked. Roseman and his staff showed that they have a great feel for who falls to where. I trust their call. Hell, I was screaming at the TV, "take Boykins" back in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Remember how nobody liked our 5th rounder years ago when we picked some no-name small college lineman named Todd Herrimans?
nephillymike
Hey Dutch,

While I don't have the time to follow it as closely as I used to, from my memory, in most cases, when the Eagles go against the grain and reach for someone not rated that highly or not even rated at all !!, it doesn't end well. There are some exceptions. And if I remember, I thought although Herrmans was from a small college, I thought he wasn't that big of a reach. Celek was a reach that panned out. If you judge Kolb and Feeley on what their trade value was and not so much on their performance than both of those reaches panned out. But guys like the DE Harris, DE smith, Teoneshim, McCoy (LB), and a slew of others we knew we had problems from the get go. If we pick a guy several rounds earlier than where he's rated to go talent wise, it normally ends in disappointment.
mcnabbulous
Reaching in the 5th is a lot different than 2&3. This guy has upside, which is all you can really ask for at this point.
Flying Dutchman
Mikey, you're right about some of the reaches. But most all who missed could be called reaches. I place zero value on the ratings of the Kipers and the rest of those windbags. If Reid/Roseman/Mudd think he's somebody they feel they need to draft in round X, then round X it should be. Mudd turns into gold....anybody he picks it seems. His criterea are based on what he sees and what he wants in a player not the criterea necessarily used by anyone else in and out of his business. I read that both Kelly and Washington along with their size have "good feet", I think that's where the rating system starts in Philly nowadays.
mcnabbulous
Does anyone know if there is a Mudd protege on staff who will be continuing his teaching/coaching after he retires?
Reality Fan

No ratings Nadda.

Anyone??

now be nice.......lol

My best friends stepson signed with he Falcons last night as an UDFA looking to become the next Andre Reed, a fellow Kutztown product...not much tape on him except when he was at UConn....He went to the regional combine and then the 2nd combine for those that excelled at the regional combines and he did well there.........I am a big fan of the underdogs now...lol
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Apr 29 2012, 10:25 AM) *
now be nice.......lol

My best friends stepson signed with he Falcons last night as an UDFA looking to become the next Andre Reed, a fellow Kutztown product...not much tape on him except when he was at UConn....He went to the regional combine and then the 2nd combine for those that excelled at the regional combines and he did well there.........I am a big fan of the underdogs now...lol

The guy we signed didn't even go to the regional combine, never mind the one after that!
Birdwatcher

No ratings Nadda.

Anyone??

From what I heard he was great at G (The position they intend him to play) but mediocre at T, the position he played his last two years. I could see how he was unnoticed as a draft-able T, but I also suspect they looked hard at his film as a G and saw what they were looking for. Thought I heard Reid say Mudd liked this kid and given how he made Kelce and Watkins into decent starters by the end of last year, he might be able to polish this kid up.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Apr 29 2012, 10:57 AM) *
From what I heard he was great at G (The position they intend him to play) but mediocre at T, the position he played his last two years. I could see how he was unnoticed as a draft-able T, but I also suspect they looked hard at his film as a G and saw what they were looking for. Thought I heard Reid say Mudd liked this kid and given how he made Kelce and Watkins into decent starters by the end of last year, he might be able to polish this kid up.

Wasn't it Washington who moved to OT where he struggled but was good at OG? I may be wrong but I thought I saw that Reid said that?
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Apr 29 2012, 11:59 AM) *
Wasn't it Washington who moved to OT where he struggled but was good at OG? I may be wrong but I thought I saw that Reid said that?

Sorry Mike, you are correct....got them mixed up. But with a fifth round pick the gamble is minor, and given that Dunlap is now a solid backup that was picked in the 7th, I'm not too worried. They seem to be pretty good at finding OL guys that can play in later rounds, despite what the pundits think.
Jerome Brown Experience
For those of you who spend a lot of time staring only at the Eagles and don't look around the league much, take a look over at NE boards, Seattle boards, Cowboy, Redskin and Cardinal boards. There are others out there too, but those teams' fans are ready to light themselves on fire due to reaches and mis-drafts. I know everyone thinks Bill Belichick is a genius and as an Xs and Os guys he certainly is, but his draft record is pretty spotty (unlike his FA record, which is pretty fantastic, and his "players who took a ton of steroids and played well as long as they could juice their brains out" record). After Hightower - who I think was made to look better because of fantastic talent around him - that NE draft is a shitshow.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Apr 29 2012, 11:21 AM) *
Sorry Mike, you are correct....got them mixed up. But with a fifth round pick the gamble is minor, and given that Dunlap is now a solid backup that was picked in the 7th, I'm not too worried. They seem to be pretty good at finding OL guys that can play in later rounds, despite what the pundits think.

It's funny you mention Dunlap b/c Reid mentioned him when discussing Kelly. My alarm went off when he mentioned King. You and others have a good impression for Dunlap as a solid backup. I don't remember him playing well if he played much at all to make the evaluation. As soon as Peters got hurt, they signed Dunlap to a one year? deal, and promptly went out and got Bell on a long termer. Not a ringing endorsement. If I remember correctly, Dunlap was a guy who was high (2nd rounder?) on the draft boards until he had a subpar Sr season and he dropped down the boards. I didn't remember him being a reach where we got him, do you? We got him in the 7th but I thought he was a bargain value for that round.

Anyway, here;s hoping they all pan out.
TGryn
Here's one profile of Kelly:
http://www.hammerandrails.com/2012/4/26/29...le-dennis-kelly

For what its worth ESPN had him ranked as the 26th best OT in the draft and SI.com as the 28th, and he was the 11th OT taken. Mudd's system is based on lighter OL who can move so that factors into the equation, but yeah, this was a bit of a reach.

mcnabbulous, from what I've read when Mudd retires again, assistant OL coach Eugene Chung would be the most likely replacement. I assume they would run similar blocking systems.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Apr 29 2012, 01:55 PM) *
Reaching in the 5th is a lot different than 2&3. This guy has upside, which is all you can really ask for at this point.

Or pick #4?

tongue.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Apr 3 2013, 12:39 AM) *
Or pick #4?

tongue.gif

I know you're being facetious, but where we differ is on whether Geno is a reach. I don't believe he is.

I'm still curious why you think he's a lesser prospect than Donnie. If I could have 10 more years of young, in shape Donnie, I'd take it in a heartbeat. And Geno is a much better passer than McNabb.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.