Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 7 Round Mock Draft
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
GridIronKing34
Hey guys,

I am from a Dolphins board and we do a 7 round mock draft where members each take over a team. I had the opportunity to select for Philadelphia, which was a lot of fun because of the amount of picks they have in the early rounds. Anyways, I thought the mock draft turned out to be pretty awesome for your team. Below it is posted with a small bit of information on why I chose the player I did. Hopefully you enjoy the read... I am stoked for the NFL Draft and hope you guys wind up trading up with us for Kuechly, Barron, or Cox.

15. Mark Barron, SS, Alabama
I believe Barron is head and shoulders above the rest of his draft class at the safety position. While many project someone like Fletcher Cox or Michael Brockers here, I felt I could get good value at the defensive tackle position in the 2nd round. Barron is a player that could potentially go in the top ten according to recent rumors but at #15 would be very good value for an elite prospect. Barron would give the Eagles a standout safety tandem with Nate Allen.

46. Lavonte David, LB, Nebraska
Some question Lavonte David's size and while many feel that the Eagles already have too many weakside linebackers, David is someone that the Eagles could really use. David is always around the football and when it comes down to it; that's what really matters. You could potentially play him at strongside linebacker however I would keep him at weakside linebacker and have a competition at strongside linebacker. You'll be in nickel formation a lot anyways as well, keeping both David and Ryans on the field.

51. Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson
I felt that Brandon Thompson was great value at this point in the draft. He would make a very good under tackle and this gives the Eagles some more depth on the defensive line... the defensive line that is already extremely nasty. I could see Thompson going near the top of the second round in the real NFL draft so if you could nab him with your later second round pick, it'd be a great deal.

90. Casey Hayward, CB, Vanderbilt
I thought that Casey Hayward could have went higher in the draft but falling to #90 isn't a bad option for Philadelphia. You guys just traded Asante Samuel (this pick was made before then but I had planned on a trade going through) so this looks even better in hindsight. Hayward could learn from one of the best cornerbacks in the league in Nnmadi Asomugha and potentially see some playing time in nickel and dime formations.

116. Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma
Ryans Broyles was a consensus first round pick back in November before he tore his ACL... amazing what one injury can do to your draft stock. Broyles has been running the 4.5 range on his 40 yard dash only five months after the injury which is pretty astonishing. I feel like this is a luxury selection in a sense because while the Eagles have two great receivers in DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin, Broyles is too much value and could turn out to be a big time player in the NFL.

155. Tom Compton, OT, South Dakota
I am a big fan of Tom Compton and I think he is a very special player. At this point in the draft, it's pretty hit or miss and I like my chances with Compton. I feel like he could be groomed to be an eventual starting right tackle. While he is a project player at this point in his career... what player isn't in the 5th round of the draft?

174. Olivier Vernon, DE, Miami
Olivier Vernon is a player who has shown glimpses of being an outstanding player but never got much of a chance this year to showcase his talents with the scandal in Florida. Vernon is another one of those developmental guys but in the Philadelphia defense under the tutelage of Jim Washburn, I think he could be very special in a year or two.

197. Chandler Harnish, QB, Northern Illinois
I was actually hoping to nab Russell Wilson in the fifth round however he was selected at the tail end of the forth round by the New Orleans Saints. However I cannot say I am too disappointed with my selection in Harnish because he was the next best option in my opinion. I am not much of a fan of the quarterbacks beyond Luck, Griffin, Tannehill, and Wilson however Harnish is a late round prospect that I think could be developed into a starting player in the NFL.

203. Michael Smith, RB, Utah State
Michael Smith spent his time at Utah State behind a very productive runner in Robert Turbin and now he gets to spend his time behind one of the best running backs in the NFL in LeSean McCoy. Smith will offer a change of pace from McCoy and could potentially steal some play time from Dion Lewis. He's got to be a better option than Ronnie Brown... it may pain you to hear that but it pains me just as much to say it.

232. Markus Kuhn, DT, North Carolina State
Now I didn't actually get this pick because the trade went through today however if I would have gotten a chance to make a selection in the 7th round... I would have went for Markus Kuhn out of North Carolina State. Kuhn is that taller interior pass rusher that many want to see in Philadelphia. Kuhn is far from a complete player at this point but I think he could wind up being a good player in Philadelphia. He wound up going to the Jets in our mock at #235 overall.
Dreagon
If Barron falls to number 14, I don't see how he gets past the Cowboys. Now that we have replaced Newman with Carr, Barron would be just the piece we need at safety to solidify our usually weak backfield. But now I'm hearing that Barron may not even get out of the top ten.
GridIronKing34
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Apr 25 2012, 07:41 PM) *
If Barron falls to number 14, I don't see how he gets past the Cowboys. Now that we have replaced Newman with Carr, Barron would be just the piece we need at safety to solidify our usually weak backfield. But now I'm hearing that Barron may not even get out of the top ten.

I could very well see that happening... the Cowboys selected Stephen Gilmore in our mock which I understood but thought he would go Barron or Upshaw.
Jerome Brown Experience
I liked the Cowboys pick of Claiborne, he is a good pick for you guys.
Dreagon
QUOTE (Jerome Brown Experience @ Apr 26 2012, 08:16 PM) *
There are a lot of Cowboy needs still on the board. Reiff or DeCastro both could look good for you guys.

Yeah, but we traded in our second to grab Claiborne, so I don't think those guys are gunna happen. DeCastro is actually who I was kind of hoping for, but part of that is because I never dreamed they would trade up for another cornerback. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy about Claiborne, but when I heard they had traded up I was almost sure they were just making sure they could get Barron.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.