Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spygate II starts to unfold!
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Flying Dutchman
Right on the heels of Bountygate comes this latest New Orleans POS which looks like a Spygate II. Here is one of the many reports now up this from: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Seriou...-Saints-GM.html

"It’s a new week and with it has come more explosive allegations against the New Orleans Saints as general manager Mickey Loomis is being investigated by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for wire tapping.

According to ESPN, officials were told Friday that Loomis had an electronic device in his suite at the Superdome that allowed him to eavesdrop on the visiting coaching staffs at the stadium. This gadget was in place for three NFL seasons, according to the report.

Not only would this conduct be a serious violation of NFL rules, Loomis could face potentially stiff legal action because it is a federal crime to intercept communications in such a manner. Per the report, the FBI has been briefed on the matter and is expected to investigate.

The Saints, who have been rocked by the bounty scandal, have denied any wrongdoing. Loomis, of course, has been suspended for the first eight games of the season for his role in the bounty scandal.

"This is 100 percent false," team spokesman Greg Bensel told the New Orleans Times-Picayune. "This is 100 percent inaccurate."

According to the report, Loomis has this capability from 2002 to 2004 before the Superdome was partially destroyed by Hurrican Katrina. An NFL spokesman said the league does not have information on the matter.

Originally, the device in the suite allowed the general manager (Randy Mueller before Loomis was hired) to listen to the communication in the Saints’ coaching box.

“There was a switch, and the switch accessed offense and defense," a source told ESPN. "When Randy was there, it was the Saints offense or defense, and when Mickey was there it changed over so it was the visiting offense or defense.”

If true, this would also be a violation of Louisiana state law. There is a ton of detail packed in the report, and this is obviously a serious matter the Saints must contend with. Talk about a rocky offseason. It’s one that isn’t over yet. Discipline for players involved in the bounty scandal is expected to come soon."
Jerome Brown Experience
The fact that this is a violation of state law (and possibly federal law too if interpreted broadly) is just another data point supporting the argument that many people involved in the running of NFL clubs are knuckleheads.

If someone in your workplace were to say "Hey I am going to listen in on a coworker without their knowledge or consent" you would almost certainly say "You know Bob, that is a pretty dumb idea and almost certainly against company policy if not the law." If someone said "Hey I am going to listen to a competitor's business meetings through a recording device" you would definitely say something like "Seriously man, that is against....I don't know which law per se, but some law."

That no one did that for - at least - 3 years is absolutely mind blowing to me.
Dreagon
This is sad. It's like all those decades of failure just literally unhinged them or something.
GQSmooth
We are not getting the whole story if this is true. There is a lot about the story that just does not make sense. For one, why would the GM be doing this, he could easily hire someone to do the dirty work and be the fall guy. Two, how is it a competitive advantage for him to listen in on opposing coaches? He does not have the opposing playbook, he would have to have intimate knowledge of the language and verbosity of the opposing team. Three, how does he take this information and within 40 seconds get it to the key guys that need it on the field? I could only see it being an advantage playing teams within the same division or teams you meet again at home in the playoffs. The story as is, is shady and illegal but it doesn't give a competitive advantage that makes any sense to me.
Jerome Brown Experience
QUOTE (GQSmooth @ Apr 24 2012, 11:55 AM) *
We are not getting the whole story if this is true. There is a lot about the story that just does not make sense. For one, why would the GM be doing this, he could easily hire someone to do the dirty work and be the fall guy. Two, how is it a competitive advantage for him to listen in on opposing coaches? He does not have the opposing playbook, he would have to have intimate knowledge of the language and verbosity of the opposing team. Three, how does he take this information and within 40 seconds get it to the key guys that need it on the field? I could only see it being an advantage playing teams within the same division or teams you meet again at home in the playoffs. The story as is, is shady and illegal but it doesn't give a competitive advantage that makes any sense to me.

There are a few ways it could be used off the top of my head:

1) Understanding which players or schemes they are targeting
2) For division rivals understanding more about their schemes to enable faster reads on the field
3) Understanding which players on the opposing team may be injured

Why would the GM do this is a fair and reasonable question, but I refer back to "these guys are idiots." It sounds like it started with a GM wanting to listen in to his coaching staff - possibly so that he could get some good idea of the dynamic, how the players he was putting on the field fit into the team's tactical plans, etc. but also possibly for less benevolent (and more illegal if the coaches being taped weren't aware) purposes.

From there it went to "Hey....maybe I could listen to the opposing team...." and no one raised their hand to say "Ummmm....point of law."

This may be a story that has some factual gaps, but if true this is appalling.
Flying Dutchman
Thank God somebody was bright enough to put it in the hands of the District Attorney, as politically charged, positively or negatively, as that may be. We already saw what happens if such info as with Belicheat and Spygate is given to "The Grand Obfuscator", Herr NoGoodell. He is dedicated to protecting the reputation of the game as well as the... ahem green lining of the owners' pockets. He completely buried the repeated allegations about electronic spying using frequency change/modulation and quite possibly signal monitoring and interception in that fiasco. First he built a wall around it by burying it under the camera spywork and then scrubbed the evidence out of any further physical and legislative investigation. He would no doubt find some such way out of this mess if it were left up to him. I still firmly believe he needs to be charged as an accomplice in the entire cover-up. I wonder if he had prior knowledge of this rats nest as well? Hell, I wonder how much of this is going on in multiple locations and they are just keeping the lid on it unless and untill they are forced to do something about it. Sort of the way they buried any info regarding head trauma as if they knew nothing about it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.