Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Donovan a Hall of Famer? I explain why not...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Dave Weaver
My take, based on stats and comparisons, or why Donovan McNabb does not belong in the Hall of Fame.

http://voices.yahoo.com/donovan-mcnabb-hal...2128.html?cat=9

Enjoy. Appreciate your comments.

Donovan McNabb a Hall of Famer?

Dave Weaver, Yahoo! Contributor Network
Apr 19, 2012 "Share your voice on Yahoo! websites. Start Here."
tweet
Print
FlagPost a comment

COMMENTARY | It appears Donovan McNabb's career is over. During an interview yesterday, McNabb stated he would vote for himself for the Pro Football Hall of Fame .

McNabb said, "When you sit and look at the numbers -- and that's what it is when it comes to the Hall of Fame -- my numbers are better than Jim Kelly, better than Troy Aikman, better than a lot of guys in the Hall of Fame, but the one thing they do have is a Super Bowl."

Donovan needs to understand that statistics matter, but Super Bowls matter most. Only four quarterbacks enshrined in the Hall never won a Super Bowl.

Fran Tarkenton went to four Super Bowls, and changed the game with his scrambling.

Dan Marino played in one Super Bowl (like McNabb) but retired holding every significant passing record.

Warren Moon played 22 seasons between the Canadian Football League and NFL, and won five Grey Cups, the Canadian equivalent of the Super Bowl.

Dan Fouts held records for passing yards and passing average, later broken by the Saints' Drew Brees, but is considered one of the most prolific passers ever.

For the 1970's to 1990's, they would be on the Mount Rushmore of quarterbacks.

McNabb compares his statistics to Aikman and Kelly.

Aikman arguably has the worst statistics of any quarterback enshrined. But he won three Super Bowls and his 94 wins in the 1990's were the most in any decade. Add the Dallas Cowboys are "America's Team" and he was a lock to make the Hall of Fame.

Kelly's statistics are similar to McNabb's on completion percentage, passing yards, career wins, and even touchdowns. But Jim Kelly led the Buffalo Bills to four consecutive Super Bowls. That can not be ignored.

A better comparison would be between McNabb and former Eagle Randall Cunningham. McNabb had more passing yards and touchdown passes, but played in a more pass-oriented offense under coach Andy Reid.

Cunningham did not make a Super Bowl, thanks to Morton Anderson's only missed field goal of the year in the 1998 NFC Championship game after Cunningham led the Vikings to a 15-1 record. But he revolutionized the quarterback position and broke Tarkenton's rushing records.

Cunningham was a staple of highlight reels for his amazing athleticism. Teams were forced to change their defenses to contain a quarterback. That previously only happened with superstar running backs and wide receivers. Cunningham and McNabb share the same .608 career winning percentage.

Cunningham made the 15 Hall finalists his first year eligible, but never again garnered serious consideration.

The harshest argument against McNabb, from a Philadelphia fan's perspective, is that he was always more Eric Lindros or Scott Rolen than Bobby Clarke or Allen Iverson. He could not win the big one, was quick to point fingers at teammates, and always seemed cold and aloof.

Maybe in other sports, or at other positions, personal statistics matter most. In football, at quarterback, it is all about Super Bowls. Sorry, Donovan.
HOUSEoPAIN
Exhibit A (2)
Dreagon
The sad thing is that he really was a very good quarterback. And it would do his legacy so much more good if he would just satisfy himself with that instead of trying to argue he was even better.

Seriously, in any given year there are only thirty two men on the planet who have proven themselves to be starting quarterbacks in the National Football League. And less than half of those are credited with being very good ones. He made that status. He should take pride in that accomplishment alone, and let other people worry about anything beyond that. The rest is out of his hands anyways.
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Apr 20 2012, 10:23 AM) *
The sad thing is that he really was a very good quarterback. And it would do his legacy so much more good if he would just satisfy himself with that instead of trying to argue he was even better.

Seriously, in any given year there are only thirty two men on the planet who have proven themselves to be starting quarterbacks in the National Football League. And less than half of those are credited with being very good ones. He made that status. He should take pride in that accomplishment alone, and let other people worry about anything beyond that. The rest is out of his hands anyways.

Truth... FROM A COWBOY FAN!

how do you do that beer thing?
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Apr 20 2012, 10:23 AM) The sad thing is that he really was a very good quarterback. And it would do his legacy so much more good if he would just satisfy himself with that instead of trying to argue he was even better.

+1
koolaidluke
Does being a huge fraud usually get guys into the hall of fame? If so, then McNabb belongs there, because he is the biggest fraud in NFL history.
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Apr 21 2012, 03:02 PM) *
Does being a huge fraud usually get guys into the hall of fame? If so, then McNabb belongs there, because he is the biggest fraud in NFL history.

Nope, that's Jon Gruden.
Yes, he won a Super Bowl (the same one the Eagles would have won, if another playoff fraud named Andy Reid would have planned for the game like Jon Gruden did). But never mind that. He basically "Barry Switzered" Tony Dungy's team, was fortunate to run into two teams dumber at game planning than his own and got a ring to show for it.

In 2003, they go 9-7 (including a hilarious overtime choke job to the Colts) miss the playoffs altogether, and basically fade into obscurity ever since. A number of coaches have been given the keys to retread (Jeff Fisher, Eric Mangini even). But Gruden? NOPE.

THAT is a fraud.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Dr. Claw @ Apr 23 2012, 09:30 AM) *
Nope, that's Jon Gruden.
Yes, he won a Super Bowl (the same one the Eagles would have won, if another playoff fraud named Andy Reid would have planned for the game like Jon Gruden did). But never mind that. He basically "Barry Switzered" Tony Dungy's team, was fortunate to run into two teams dumber at game planning than his own and got a ring to show for it.

In 2003, they go 9-7 (including a hilarious overtime choke job to the Colts) miss the playoffs altogether, and basically fade into obscurity ever since. A number of coaches have been given the keys to retread (Jeff Fisher, Eric Mangini even). But Gruden? NOPE.

THAT is a fraud.

Wrong. To 'Barry Switzer' a team would be to take a championship team a monkey could run, and win a ring. Gruden prepped the Raiders into a championship quality team, then went to a great team with poor overall execution who couldn't win the big one - and he stomped us, and then stomped his old team en route to a ring. If he's a fraud, then so were 3 other 'top' coaches in 2003.

Dr. Claw
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Apr 23 2012, 04:45 PM) *
Wrong. To 'Barry Switzer' a team would be to take a championship team a monkey could run, and win a ring. Gruden prepped the Raiders into a championship quality team, then went to a great team with poor overall execution who couldn't win the big one - and he stomped us, and then stomped his old team en route to a ring. If he's a fraud, then so were 3 other 'top' coaches in 2003.

Using KAL logic, that is the definition of a "fraud".

I actually agree with the Switzer assessment, it was funny to see the Cowboys fall apart under his (and later Dave Campo's) leadership.

But Gruden's experience with the Sucs always left a sour taste in my mouth, if only because the only reason they got to the Bowl (and hardly ever in the playoffs again before he got fired) .... was because of Andy's fraudulence in playoff time.

There are times where I'd point the finger at individuals (or even units) as to the Eagles' big losses (notably, Pinkston in the following season totally sucking ASS). What I would have given for a possession receiver that didn't totally suck in that time. But 2002... all Andy. That was the year. I give Gruden credit for doing what Andy would not.

Though I also highly believe the only reason the Eagles made the Bowl in 2004 is because the Mora/Knapp Falcons were arguably DUMBER than the Eagles of that time, as they attempted to be the Bradlees clearance rack version of the Eagles. I used to talk to this guy who followed the Falcons religiously back then, and he used to break it down, play by play, coach by coach why the Falcons in that time were just rubbish. Some of them would have sounded very familiar to Eagles fans. Because of that, it wasn't -too- surprising (outside of the underwhelming pre-season play) that Vick turned out to be a positive for the Eagles... he had experience in a worse version of the same kind of offense.

They didn't even have a breakout receiver (not named Crumpler) until Roddy White under Petrino.

though if we want to talk about Eagle frauds... KEVIN KOLB.
Dave Weaver
Appreciate all the feedback, both positive and negative.

Thanks,
dave
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Dr. Claw @ Apr 24 2012, 11:44 AM) *
though if we want to talk about Eagle frauds... KEVIN KOLB.

As I mention in one of our draft threads, him being picked essentially forever killed my enjoying the draft. That was it, over, done. I still pay attention casually, but my days of having some buddies over, ordering a pizza, and doing a 'mock draft' card are just over with.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.