Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why Eagles fans do not respect Donovan McNabb
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Dave Weaver
Here is a great article on why Philadelphia fans do not respect Donovan McNabb, and never will.

http://voices.yahoo.com/donovan-mcnabb-hal...722.html?cat=14

Donovan McNabb for the Hall of Fame
Not in This Philly Fan's Opinion

Dave Weaver, Yahoo! Contributor Network
Apr 19, 2012 "Share your voice on Yahoo! websites. Start Here."
tweet
Print
FlagPost a comment

It appears Donovan McNabb's football career may be over. McNabb, who was released by the Minnesota Vikings during the 2011 season, drew no interest from the three playoff contenders who lost quarterbacks late last season. One, the Chicago Bears, opted for unproven youngsters Josh McCown and Caleb Hanie over native son McNabb on their way to a five game losing streak which left them out of the playoffs.

During an interview this week, McNabb stated he would vote for himself for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. His argument:

"When you sit and look at the numbers - and that's what it is when it comes to the Hall of Fame - my numbers are better than Jim Kelly, better than Troy Aikman, better than a lot of guys in the Hall of Fame, but the one thing they do have is a Super Bowl."

McNabb can try to make an argument based on statistics. He does have more career wins and more career passing yards than Hall of Famers Steve Young, Dan Fouts, and Troy Aikman. But guess what? So does Dave Krieg. As Mark Twain so eloquently argued, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Donovan will have a hard time justifying his inclusion in the Hall of Fame to Philadelphia Eagles fans. We are the fans who threw snowballs at Jimmy Johnson. Heck, we threw snowballs at Santa Claus. We cheered when Michael Irvin lay prone on the field with a serious neck injury. And lest Donovan forget, we booed when the Eagles chose him over Ricky Williams. Had he proven us wrong, or had he won us a Super Bowl, perhaps we would feel differently. He did not.

We Philadelphians, especially Philadelphia Eagles' fans, are just a little bit defensive about being judged, especially if we are being judged inferior. We do not tolerate being disliked, nor do we easily accommodate outsiders with a chip on their shoulder. We fight amongst ourselves, sometimes violently. But no matter how egregious the wrong perpetrated, we have a beer, we forgive, we are a family. Donovan McNabb and his family always held a grudge, and that is simply not the Philadelphia way.

The harshest argument against Donovan McNabb, from a Philadelphia fan's perspective, is that he was always more Eric Lindros than Bobby Clarke. He was always more Scott Rolen than Larry Bowa. He was always more Matt Geiger than Allen Iverson.

We want blue collar. We want warrior.

We want Pete Rose or Lenny Dykstra stretching a double into a triple, sliding headfirst into third, and not even brushing the dirt off when they stand up. We want Pete Incaviglia leaning his massive forearm into a pitch, taking one for the team.

We want Jeremy Roenick taking a slap shot to the face, leaving him with a serious concussion and a shattered jaw, not just refusing to retire but coming back the same season. We want Eric Desjardins trying to play with a titanium plate in his surgically repaired broke arm because it was playoff time.

We want Chuck Bednarik standing over the broken body of Frank Gifford, savoring the damage. We want Andre 'Dirty' Waters laying out hits so vicious the league had to change the rules to protect the opposing quarterbacks.

We want Allen Iverson, smaller than everyone else on the court throwing his body around with reckless abandon. Damn the consequences, if I get hurt I will simply have to play hurt, but I am stealing that ball.

Donovan McNabb could not win the big one, and with the long history of losing in Philadelphia, that we could forgive. But he always seemed cold and aloof. He always seemed like he did not care as much as we did, smiling and joking after losses as well as wins. He was quick to point fingers at coaches, at teammates, and worse, at us.

Maybe in other sports, or at other positions, personal statistics matter most for hall of Fame consideration. In football, especially at quarterback, it is all about Super Bowls.

But in Philadelphia, whether your uniform is red, green, or orange, the collar better be blue. And there better be dirt on the front of it. Or better yet, blood. It shows us how much you care. We like that.

Enjoy, and appreciate your comments.
HOUSEoPAIN
Remember your theory Dr. Claw! About pissing off the trolls? Here's exhibit A laugh.gif
Dave Weaver
Appreciate the feedback.
Thanks,
dave
Phits
QUOTE (Dave Weaver @ Apr 20 2012, 09:56 AM) *
We want Jeremy Roenick taking a slap shot to the face, leaving him with a serious concussion and a shattered jaw, not just refusing to retire but coming back the same season. We want Eric Desjardins trying to play with a titanium plate in his surgically repaired broke arm because it was playoff time.

How about playing on a broken ankle:
Top Ten Gutsiest Performances-Donovan McNabb
D Rock
That AZ game was prolly the finest "before example" of ole Supa5.

Up to that point, we'd seen scant few signs of the mental fragility, sense of entitlement and ginormous persecution complex that led him to show his true colors.

Even the most ardent Mac5 haters will stipulate to him being a different animal prior to '04. Alas, his legacy is so poisoned by his cry baby bullshit and lousy play that most outside of Iggle fandom will only remember the shitty last half of his career.

The McNabb most think of today is the guy that got beaten out by Sexy Rexy of the foreskinz and whose coaching staff publicly stated he was too dense to understand a playbook that was only slightly divergent from the one he played in his entire career. Or perhaps they'll remember the guy who got cut mid season from a losing minny squad and couldn't even get a sniff from quarterback needy hometown Bears who preferred to go to battle in the playoffs with Caleb "who" Hainey. Or perhaps they'll remember the guy that threw his team mates under the bus after yet another post season choke?

Either way . . . the guy we remember playing 3 quarters on a busted ankle looks rather like a faulty memory from today's vantage point.

Sad.
frank4
Hm very nice I am om eagles side.
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Apr 20 2012, 09:57 AM) *
Remember your theory Dr. Claw! About pissing off the trolls? Here's exhibit A :lol:

While I don't know if this guy is a real troll, if I may drink the Kool-Aid for a moment -- desiring "gritty, blue-collar" athletes as your team's representatives is the gayest thing ever.

Tom Brady, as much as I hate him, is as far as you get from that, and ignoring Spygate, he's at least put up stats as a QB in the post-Polian era over numerous seasons that puts him in the all-time elite. This the kind of thinking that has the Cleveland Browns as perpetual bottom feeders; if you point to the Steelers in response, Ben Roethlisberger basically ethered that idea.

I want guys who embarrass the crap out of teams I hate on a regular basis, period.

*dumps out the LUKEwarm KOOL-AID*
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Dr. Claw @ Apr 27 2012, 09:37 AM) *
While I don't know if this guy is a real troll, if I may drink the Kool-Aid for a moment -- desiring "gritty, blue-collar" athletes as your team's representatives is the gayest thing ever.

cheers.gif

True. It's great for the fans, and I love a guy who scraps it out every game and gets down and dirty - but at the end of the day, would you rather have Alex Rodriguez, or Lenny Dykstra? tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.