Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Make a new deal with Asante Samuel.
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
DeF Switch
The Eagles front office should reconstruct/make a new deal with Asante Samuel. By reconstructing/new deal it can help out the cap space and keeping him for an extra few years. I know he isn't a good tackler but he is a great game changer, especially interceptions. Also, he really wants to be in Philly and help us out.

I don't want the office to trade him for scrap picks but if they trade him to move up in the draft and not give up any picks, i won't mind.

Just a thought that was running through my mind if Eagles can't trade him and don't want to pay his $9 million this year.
Dreagon
Samuels value to ya'll might lie in bundling him with a pick to trade up.
Birdman420
Yes I say find a way to keep him around while he still has the ball hawking abilities. He clearly stated that this is his home and this is where he wants to play and contribute to us getting a superbowl win.
If he wants to stay then he probably already knows hes taking a paycut and a spot in the nickel(covering slot,hansons old job) as aso and drc are going to be our #1&2, this will greatly help us with those spread offenses(pats,pack,steelers,giants and every other playoff contending team pretty much).I can just see him picking off a ball from brady intended for welker or from manning intended for cruz, this is the redundancy we needed last year while playing to the coverages strengths.

Resign Asante and don't risk trading for a ??? pick in the draft, this is the best shot we have at WINNING the superbowl.
Birdman420
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Apr 18 2012, 06:17 PM) *

Yeah you'd like us to get into teambuilding mode wouldn't ya cowboy tongue.gif

This is the year,I can feel it(laughing on the inside while trying to mantain a straight face)
Zero
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Apr 18 2012, 05:17 PM) *

Agreed. Tackling is more important with this defense. Not his strength.
TGryn
QUOTE (Zero @ Apr 18 2012, 04:02 PM) *
Agreed. Tackling is more important with this defense. Not his strength.

True, but the guy slotted to replace him (DRC) was even worse as a tackler, and Asomugha even worse than that.

Of possible interest: DRC is on the last year of his rookie contract, and will be a free agent next year. Aso's salaries are $15 mil/$12 mil/$12 mil after getting $11 mil this year, and his cap hit goes down to $4 million next year and nothing after that. He'll also turn 31 next offseason. Basically, Asomugha could be looking at the same situation in 2013 that Asante finds himself in this year: on the block as a guy who's overpaid and getting older at a speed position.

Crazy as it sounds, it wouldn't surprise me if they draft a CB high this year, maybe even at #15 if Kirkpatrick is there and Kuechly and Cox and Tannehill are taken already.
Zero
QUOTE (TGryn @ Apr 19 2012, 07:47 AM) *
True, but the guy slotted to replace him (DRC) was even worse as a tackler, and Asomugha even worse than that.

Of possible interest: DRC is on the last year of his rookie contract, and will be a free agent next year. Aso's salaries are $15 mil/$12 mil/$12 mil after getting $11 mil this year, and his cap hit goes down to $4 million next year and nothing after that. He'll also turn 31 next offseason. Basically, Asomugha could be looking at the same situation in 2013 that Asante finds himself in this year: on the block as a guy who's overpaid and getting older at a speed position.

Crazy as it sounds, it wouldn't surprise me if they draft a CB high this year, maybe even at #15 if Kirkpatrick is there and Kuechly and Cox and Tannehill are taken already.
Howie says he's going for BPA so if a CB is there at 15 who grades higher than Kuechly or Cox they could do that and use DRC or Asante as trade currency to move up from or in the second round.
xsv
I still think Asante is the best corner on the team.

The problem is that he refuses to play press coverage.
Eyrie
QUOTE (xsv @ Apr 19 2012, 04:57 PM) *
I still think Asante is the best corner on the team.

The problem is that he refuses to play press coverage.

To my mind that means he's a poor fit and should be traded rather than extended as the OP suggests.
Birdman420
you guys are ruthless!
HOUSEoPAIN
What the hell else does Samuel have to do? Return punts for td's too?
Birdman420
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Apr 20 2012, 12:50 AM) *

He has to work for free, even then eagles fans would want to trade him away for some shotty draft pick on who knows who. Asante is a proven talent(we all know that) so lets take him for what he is(an amazing ball hawk). With him on our team he will give the ball back to vick and the offense about every other game(7 ints a year). When you see underdog teams beat high profile teams you can almost always hear the losing teams coach in the post game interview ranting about how turnovers are unacceptable, well with Samuel turnovers are the norm.

Whats better then stopping the opposing teams offense and making them punt? TAKING the ball where it lies and going the other way with it.
Birdman420
out of curiosity, what round draft pick would Samuel be worth at this point in his career? 3rd? 4th?
Dreagon
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Apr 20 2012, 09:01 AM) *
out of curiosity, what round draft pick would Samuel be worth at this point in his career? 3rd? 4th?

Like I said, I think his value comes with bundling him with a pick. I think you guys could use him to trade back up into the late first round, or maybe turn a fourth into a second.

He's a good player, I'm just not sure he fits ya'lls scheme going forward. He doesn't do press coverage. Not to mention he's an expensive corner in his thirties who's still good enough to get something for if you trade him now. That's why I think he's possible trade material in ya'lls FO's eyes.
Eyrie
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Apr 20 2012, 05:50 AM) *

Play press coverage well.
Flying Dutchman
At least this past season AS finally showed some interest in tackling ball carriers. Unfortunately, he has yet to show any ability, just some interest. There are reports now that he and his agent are playing this game wherin they want a "7 year" contract if they are to restructure as part of a trade. At his age, 31, that just ain't gonna happen. That could be considered as a way to intentionally destroy any trade possibilities and hope the Iggles will pay him his scheduled ?10? mill a year. Dump his candy ass NOW! He will become a TO-like cancer if he stays and isn;t the starter, which he IMO shouldn't be given the way DRC played when moved back outside to press and run like he should have from the beginning.
D Rock
QUOTE (DeF Switch @ Apr 18 2012, 10:14 PM) *
The Eagles front office should reconstruct/make a new deal with Asante Samuel. By reconstructing/new deal it can help out the cap space and keeping him for an extra few years. I know he isn't a good tackler but he is a great game changer, especially interceptions. Also, he really wants to be in Philly and help us out.

I don't want the office to trade him for scrap picks but if they trade him to move up in the draft and not give up any picks, i won't mind.

Just a thought that was running through my mind if Eagles can't trade him and don't want to pay his $9 million this year.

If by "great game changer" you mean giving up touchdowns by giving 10 yard cushions on first and goal from the 4, you're correct.

BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Apr 20 2012, 09:01 AM) *

despite his implied worth in this thread...the eagles already had a 5th or 6th on the table and wanted to do the deal.

LINK

"The Eagles, though, have decided to move on, and appear willing to take whatever they can get before the draft starts Thursday."

while i was watching the NFL network, the news crawler said they will take even a 7th. its official....samuel isnt worth what you think
Dreagon
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Apr 21 2012, 01:24 AM) *
despite his implied worth in this thread...the eagles already had a 5th or 6th on the table and wanted to do the deal.

LINK

"The Eagles, though, have decided to move on, and appear willing to take whatever they can get before the draft starts Thursday."

while i was watching the NFL network, the news crawler said they will take even a 7th. its official....samuel isnt worth what you think

Part of the problem is his contract. Getting a team to both give up a pick and absorb that cap hit is what is driving his price down. That might work in ya'lls favor in a strange sort of way. Many of them may be coming to the conclusion it would be cheaper to just wait and see if you guys decide to cut him. Samuels may come to realize that if that happens he is going to get a drastically smaller deal from these teams. He may realize his better option is to restructure his contract and try to stay with you guys.
D Rock
Aint about money. He could play for free and we wouldn't want him.

He's the defensive counter part to McNabb.

The occassional and increasingly rare spectacular play moves morons to overlook his significant flaws both fundamental and philosophical. He's refused to play within the scheme since he got here. His free lancing led to some great INTs but gave up twice as many TDs.

It's no secret or surprise that we've set HISTORICAL levels of futility in defending the pass. We gave up more passing TDs than any team in the history of the league with this turd. He's pure fools gold.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.