Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eagles sign Bell
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
BirdsWinBaby
Link

better than dunlap, not as good as peters....hopefully he can stay healthy
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Apr 4 2012, 11:59 AM) *
Link

better than dunlap, not as good as peters....hopefully he can stay healthy

I read the title and was about to throw my mug across the room and curse Reid for signing Mike Bell (again). Haha, this is a pleasant surprise. I like the signing, and if he was drawing interest from GB and Pitt that's good enough for me.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Apr 4 2012, 11:29 AM) *
I read the title and was about to throw my mug across the room and curse Reid for signing Mike Bell (again).

lol..totally forgot that guy
koolaidluke
This guy is Moses Malone's son apparently, so good genes.

Apparently his career so far has been half underwhelming, half getting injured. He has raw ability, but Mudd certainly has his work cut out for him.

What worries me is that even if Bell ultimately pans out he may very well still struggle initially. Slow starts have plagued this team forever and with so much fan negativity this year it is really important that we start fast.

Zero
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Apr 4 2012, 07:16 PM) *
This guy is Moses Malone's son apparently,

I believe that would be Karl Malone.
BirdsWinBaby
thanks TG

what i notice in those vids is the type of passing offense the Bills run. its a quick drop, quick decision, rhythym offense and the ball is normally out of Fitzpatrick's hand by a 3 count after the snap and even on play action and longer drops its barely a 4 count....its a tackle's dream. even if you are beaten/pushed back by the DE (which happens) the ball is out too fast for them to make a play

thats not Vick's game nor AR's long ball offense.
Flying Dutchman
From various reports such as the quote below from EMB, it shows that Bell not only succeeded Peters in Buffalo but also had become good friends with him. Jason should know him as well or better than anyone else.

"When I talked to Jason after the visit, I said, 'Jason, what do you think of Coach Mudd?' He said he's the real deal," Bell said. "I said, 'Well, that's all I need to hear.' He said if you want to be a Pro Bowler, come here and you got Coach Mudd and me behind you, you don't have a choice. Come here and let's go get a ring."

"Bell Enjoys His Draft Day" http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/art...bf-ee040061b182

Tommy Lawlor put up a good breakdown of Bell's play and it's phit in Philly.
"Meet Mr. Demetress Bell"
http://igglesblitz.com/philadelphia-eagles...demetress-bell/

Give Mudd five months to put these guys together the way he wants and a case can be made that all five OL starters could improve over last year. That would be fantastic!
Birdman420
I'll bet celek goes back to his 2010 form of blocking on 90% of passing plays to buy vick more time(before heremans switched to T).... I really hope this guy steps up because the last thing we need is one less receiver running a route. Celek is a team player and will do what he is told but he is so much better at receiving then blocking
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Apr 5 2012, 06:40 PM) *
I'll bet celek goes back to his 2010 form of blocking on 90% of passing plays to buy vick more time(before heremans switched to T).... I really hope this guy steps up because the last thing we need is one less receiver running a route. Celek is a team player and will do what he is told but he is so much better at receiving then blocking

So why do you equate Bell to someone like Justice? I have concerns about his history of injuries. I have almost no concerns about his being a very decent LT, who is pretty athletic and seems made for Mudd's system. There is absolutely nothing to indicate he needs 90% of Celeks time in support.

TGryn
We did pretty well with the last LOT we got from the Bills, so there's at least some precedent working our way. He may turn out to be this year's version of Ryan Harris (from last year), but its not like we had a lot of great options to choose from.

At least this happened to Peters while we still had Bell and McNeil to choose from.
koolaidluke
which one is better?
Flying Dutchman
Jason Peters was considered by many, maybe most, as the best LT in the game last year. You don't replace someone THAT good easily. Bell is however, a very good LT. If he stays healthy he has talent, experience and still untapped potential that Mudd should be able to maximize just as he has already improved other youngsters and vets here and elsewhere. The key may be whether or not Bell can handle the "Tough Love" approach of Mudd. The reason the Eagles supposedly let Winston Justice go was because he simply could not put up with Mudd's screaming, shouting, in-your-face teaching style. It all remains to be seen but I would think his buddy Peters gave Bell the full story before he signed here.
Birdman420
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Apr 5 2012, 09:20 PM) *
So why do you equate Bell to someone like Justice? I have concerns about his history of injuries. I have almost no concerns about his being a very decent LT, who is pretty athletic and seems made for Mudd's system. There is absolutely nothing to indicate he needs 90% of Celeks time in support.

I have no reservations that this guy is good, It just scares me that only our 1st string O-line is going to be good enough to keep vick safe, if someone gets hurt then we are shuffling the cards again and celek will be a blocker like he was in 2010. I really think to improve our verticle strike we need to have a rock solid O-line and anything less is another year w/o a trophy
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Apr 8 2012, 03:04 PM) *
I have no reservations that this guy is good, It just scares me that only our 1st string O-line is going to be good enough to keep vick safe, if someone gets hurt then we are shuffling the cards again and celek will be a blocker like he was in 2010. I really think to improve our verticle strike we need to have a rock solid O-line and anything less is another year w/o a trophy

If we don't win a SB this year, I don't think the OL will be the culprit.
Birdman420
I disagree, I think even with the LBs we had last year they have improved enough to keep high scoring teams in check. Our defense came around in the end of the season and if that carries over then we are in good shape. Thus my concern for the 0-Line
Eyrie
Reading Lawlor, and apparently Bell has a $8.5m roster bonus three days in 2013 FA. So it's very much a one year rent which means the expectation is that Peters will be back for 2013.
D Rock
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Apr 10 2012, 08:16 PM) *
Reading Lawlor, and apparently Bell has a $8.5m roster bonus three days in 2013 FA. So it's very much a one year rent which means the expectation is that Peters will be back for 2013.

Or he stays healthy and plays well. In that case, we trade Peters and keep the younger, now proven Bell. Considering the nature of achiles injuries, both cases are equally likely. Either way, we wont pay 2 LTs starter money in 2013, and we appear to have covered our ass either way. A nice deal.
eaglesflow
Solid pick up certainly makes us better!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.