Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So much for the Saints personnel showing remorse...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Rick
...for something they admitted to being a part of. They're appealing their suspensions. Goodell will pus out and reduce their suspensions. They should have been banned for life...

-->clicky<--
koolaidluke
They will lose their appeal but I agree that they blow
Rick
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Mar 31 2012, 12:41 PM) *
They will lose their appeal but I agree that they blow

I hope they do but not sure they will. Goodell is a wus...
HOUSEoPAIN
I think they'll lose the appeal
koolaidluke
The difference this time is that Gooddell is legitimately pissed. Not about the bounty's but about the fact that Payton covered it up. He seems to have taken it as a personal insult. If there hadn't been a cover up the Saints probably get fined, lose a 1st and maybe Payton gets 4 games.

Also Williams put the league in potential legal jeopardy with what he did. Gooddell will have the owners support to be brutal about this one.
Rick
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Apr 1 2012, 01:20 PM) *
The difference this time is that Gooddell is legitimately pissed. Not about the bounty's but about the fact that Payton covered it up. He seems to have taken it as a personal insult. If there hadn't been a cover up the Saints probably get fined, lose a 1st and maybe Payton gets 4 games.

Also Williams put the league in potential legal jeopardy with what he did. Gooddell will have the owners support to be brutal about this one.

What I'd love to see is a lawsuit from players who got injured during that timeframe when playing them. I usually don't care for law suits but they deserve to be sued over this one.

I've played sports all of my life (I'm not a youngster). I think it's disgusting (I know, I've said it before) that they'd encourage going out to TRY and injure your opponent. Sure, encouraging hitting/playing hard can create an injury but, it's a contact sport, so injuries will happen. But actually trying to go out and injure your opponent? I don't know, I NEVER wished for an injury to an opponent unless they were trying to hurt me. I also NEVER went out with the intention of injuring my opponent. And I've practiced/competed in jiu jitsu for YEARS on top of many years of other sports.
Bez
QUOTE (Rick @ Apr 2 2012, 07:03 AM) *
What I'd love to see is a lawsuit from players who got injured during that timeframe when playing them. I usually don't care for law suits but they deserve to be sued over this one.

I've played sports all of my life (I'm not a youngster). I think it's disgusting (I know, I've said it before) that they'd encourage going out to TRY and injure your opponent. Sure, encouraging hitting/playing hard can create an injury but, it's a contact sport, so injuries will happen. But actually trying to go out and injure your opponent? I don't know, I NEVER wished for an injury to an opponent unless they were trying to hurt me. I also NEVER went out with the intention of injuring my opponent. And I've practiced/competed in jiu jitsu for YEARS on top of many years of other sports.
The Raiders Signed Rich Gannon and made it to the SB by taking out QBs throughout the season. When the Chiefs announced the Rich Gannon was officially fair game and Sean King took him out for good , I have to admit some satisfaction.
make_it_rain
Well, its officiall, Goodell told them all to GTFO with their appeals, they were all rejected. All suspensions will be upheld.

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Apr 9 2012, 03:00 PM) *
Well, its officiall, Goodell told them all to GTFO with their appeals, they were all rejected. All suspensions will be upheld.

He's destroying the leage, but at least he finally did something right.
Birdman420
I hope Bill doesen't take over and he tells peyton that he dishonored him by implementing this bounty scandal. I doubt any mentor would appreciate what Disgrace someone like Peyton has made of his teachings.
D Rock
I think Bill Parcells is a first rate douche. Can't stand that martha focker. But this saints deal doesn't touch him without direct proof he did the same thing.

The coaching "fraternity" is pretty small and incestual. I'm sure you could draw a line connecting coach A to coach B easier than Kevin Bacon.
Phits
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Apr 10 2012, 03:56 PM) *
I hope Bill doesen't take over and he tells peyton that he dishonored him by implementing this bounty scandal. I doubt any mentor would appreciate what Disgrace someone like Peyton has made of his teachings.

The only 'disgrace' is the fact that he was caught. This type of shyt happens everyday. Throwback to those that like to live in yester year.

If you're still clamoring for this rough and tumble kind of action, switch to professional hockey. Men are still allowed to be men. Overly aggressive men are still have a place. mainly because the NHL brass don't have to hide the fact that they play a highly skilled and fast contact sport in order to protect their multi billion dollar image.
Rick
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Apr 10 2012, 12:25 PM) *
He's destroying the leage, but at least he finally did something right.

I have to agree. Just wish he had done the RIGHT thing originally and banned these guys...
Rick
QUOTE (Phits @ Apr 10 2012, 11:10 PM) *
If you're still clamoring for this rough and tumble kind of action, switch to professional hockey. Men are still allowed to be men. Overly aggressive men are still have a place. mainly because the NHL brass don't have to hide the fact that they play a highly skilled and fast contact sport in order to protect their multi billion dollar image.

It's also part of the reason why the NHL has always been a 3rd rate professional sport.
Phits
QUOTE (Rick @ Apr 11 2012, 06:57 AM) *
It's also part of the reason why the NHL has always been a 3rd rate professional sport.

That's perception. There's more skill in hockey than the so-called first rate sports.
Birdman420
QUOTE (Rick @ Apr 11 2012, 06:57 AM) *

You wouldn't think that if you live in philly, The flyers are right up there with the phils and eagles... It really depends on where you live really and how big your team is to your city. hockey players are in some ways more athletic then even football players because they have to play games back to back after getting their heads smashed in the boards and enduring multiple injuries. The speed at which hockey is played is another thing and not to mention how constent movement of the puck is compared to football.

You have to be an absolute badass to play hockey and you certainly need to be 100% in shape to compete. Football however is a different story, You can be a nancy and still make big plays because all you gotta do is run full speed for 5 seconds catch the ball and run into the endzone sometimes untouched. Not to take anything away from the football players because they are superhuman in a way but you cannot compare them to hockey players.
Phits
Well said.
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Apr 11 2012, 03:21 PM) *
You wouldn't think that if you live in philly, The flyers are right up there with the phils and eagles... It really depends on where you live really and how big your team is to your city. hockey players are in some ways more athletic then even football players because they have to play games back to back after getting their heads smashed in the boards and enduring multiple injuries. The speed at which hockey is played is another thing and not to mention how constent movement of the puck is compared to football.

You have to be an absolute badass to play hockey and you certainly need to be 100% in shape to compete. Football however is a different story, You can be a nancy and still make big plays because all you gotta do is run full speed for 5 seconds catch the ball and run into the endzone sometimes untouched. Not to take anything away from the football players because they are superhuman in a way but you cannot compare them to hockey players.

Rick
QUOTE (Phits @ Apr 11 2012, 10:16 AM) *
That's perception. There's more skill in hockey than the so-called first rate sports.

Unfortunately, perception IS reality when you're a league which needs fans. Obviously, there's a ton of skill in the league. However, the people who aren't watching hockey aren't being drawn to it. Part of it is the marketing for the NHL has been horrible forever. Another part of it is people just don't want to watch it because their perception is that it's a bunch of goons on skates.
Rick
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Apr 11 2012, 03:21 PM) *

Well I did live near Philly for most of my life. I had season tickets to the Flyers for a while there. I grew away from the sport because, well, I just got tired of it. I was still a fan, however, just not as intense. Then, when the strike/lockout happened, I got sick of the BS. Here you had a league, which was in a fairly desperate situation to gain NEW fans and they couldn't agree to work out details to play. I've not watched more than 2 minutes of hockey since.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Rick @ Apr 13 2012, 07:28 AM) *
Part of it is the marketing for the NHL has been horrible forever.

That's the only problem - it's a great sport, and as birdman said, these are the toughest and most well-conditioned mofos on earth - sometimes I wonder how they do it, the goalie seems to be the only one that doesn't risk death every game with pucks flying around at 90 mph.

I grew up in NJ, where it's tougher to find a Flyers game on tv than a Kansas City Royals game, though I got to watch a lot of Phils and Eagles games. When I moved closer to Philly, I became a huge fan overnight because I got to actually watch them (they also sucked ass for a long time while I was in NJ). The NHL's marketing has been pathetic as you say, it's almost as if they don't want more fans. They should be working out deals with major networks, espn, tbs, tnt, etc., but instead there's only a handful of nationally televised games per year - and those always get huge ratings e.g. the Winter Classic. Now with direct tv I watch almost every game, but without direct tv I'd get to watch 2 or 3 regular season games a year. Every other sport can be found frequently on basic cable.
BirdsWinBaby
they dont really try to market hockey because it wouldnt make any difference...its a sport that just isnt approachable for most people

most have played one or all of the other sports and understand the rules and nuances of the games to a large degree

most didnt play hockey, didnt even see it played and dont understand very much about the game. since there most often isnt a lot of scoring you have to be able to recognize and enjoy stuff like hits and scoring chances, strategies, etc...so it stays on the fringes with the masses

also the sport doesnt translate well to TV. if you follow the basketball or the football or the baseball you dont lose much of what is happening in the game. following the puck often leaves out too much of how a play develops, line changes or a big hit, etc... and since thats the meat of a sport (with low scoring) its just another barrier between casuals and hockey

shame too...NHL playoffs are the best of any major sport post season IMO
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Apr 13 2012, 12:20 PM) *
most have played one or all of the other sports and understand the rules and nuances of the games to a large degree

most didnt play hockey, didnt even see it played and dont understand very much about the game

That was kind of my point, the marketing is terrible, but you're right.....any kid with a few bucks can buy a basketball and all of a sudden you have 5 on 5 in the neighborhood at the court. Football, same thing. Baseball, it's a little more expensive but certainly not out of the reach of 90% of kids to have a glove, ball, and bat.

Hockey? My little cousin is in pee-wee hockey, as a goalie. I don't ask my aunt how much the equipment costs (besides the equipment necessary to properly practice at home such as a goal, not to mention someone else with equipment to shoot the puck at him), but I assume it's tough for a lot of people. And if you live in a warm-weather state, you have to find a hockey arena, not the easiest of tasks in many parts of the country.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.