Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Compensatory picks are out
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
TGryn
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d827..._headline_stack
A total of 32 compensatory choices in the 2012 NFL Draft have been awarded to 15 teams, the NFL announced Monday.

Also http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/2012/03/2012-...raft-picks.html

Of note:
  • Oakland received the highest compensatory pick possible, a 3rd rounder, for losing Asomugha
  • Green Bay received a 4th as compensation for Cullen Jenkins
  • Giants received a 4th for losing DT Barry Cofield, and Dallas received a 4th for DE Stephen Bowen
Birdman420
I don't get this, It's like idiot-proof team building. They reward FO's for making bad choices?

Someone explain please
Dreagon
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Mar 26 2012, 08:32 PM) *
I don't get this, It's like idiot-proof team building. They reward FO's for making bad choices?

Someone explain please

Parity

A word that has both defined and cursed the modern NFL.
Sandor
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Mar 26 2012, 08:32 PM) *

Someone explain please

You might not be aware, but the other sport leagues give out compesatory picks to teams that loose Free Agents too.
TGryn
I think its a legacy from the early days in FA when teams were getting 1st and 2nd rounders for losing guys like Reggie White and Keith Jackson. At the time, I thought of it as a bribe to salve owner's feelings over losing their stars without being able to do anything about it (thanks to the KJ lawsuit). Then the league figured out that they could promote competitive balance by continuing it to a lesser degree, and here we are.
Rick
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Mar 26 2012, 10:48 PM) *
Parity

A word that has both defined and cursed the modern NFL.

Well-said...

Parity has given us mediocrity in most teams in the NFL.
Birdman420
QUOTE (Sandor @ Mar 27 2012, 01:13 AM) *
You might not be aware, but the other sport leagues give out compesatory picks to teams that loose Free Agents too.

No i was not aware, I'm a big sports fan but I lack the curiosity to get into depth with offseason affairs so for the Eagles at least I come here to see what you guys talk about and learn a lot about the NFL that I never knew or cared to know before.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.