Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hurricane Roger devastates New Orleans
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
make_it_rain

• Peyton suspended for 1 year.
  • Williams suspended indefinitely.
  • GM suspended 8 games.
  • Saints lose 2nd rounders in 2012 and 2013 drafts.

Personally, I think Peyton shouldnt have been suspended as long, and the Saints should have lost first rounders instead. Williams is a grimy POS and got exactly what he deserved.

Thoughts?
D Rock
The questionable aspect of Williams suspension (which is deserved IMO) is that it fucks the lambs who had nothing to do with this at all.

Dreagon
I suppose it's a respectable outcome, but it just makes the whole Belichek fiasco leave an even sourer taste in my mouth. But since Goodall is good friends with Kraft, it comes as no surprise.
HOUSEoPAIN
Well, it was an odd way for Steve Spags to become a head coach again (of a contender no less), but I'm sure he'll take it! laugh.gif

Rick
Honestly, I think they went way too easy on these guys. They should be banned for life. We're not talking about illegal recording of games/practices here, we're talking about going out and trying to end a player's career (potentially) or worse. There is no place in the game for the coaches to encourage/allow this kind of behavior.

How many people were injured because of this? How many were paralyzed because of this? How many players were knocked out for the season? How many had their career ended? We don't really know--and probably never will. However, when you start looking at it in these terms, it makes sense to ban these guys for life. This was inexcusable and I'm sick of the NFL talking tough out of one side of their mouth then going soft when something REALLY bad happens.

People can say this happens all of the time. Ok, but, if they find out this is going on then THEY should be banned for life. As I said, there is no place for this in the NFL. We're not talking about someone hitting someone hard (cleanly), we're talking about someone who is doing their best to injure another player, wait, we're talking about the COACHES encouraging their players to go out and try to injure other players. It's disgusting.

Goodell sucks and really needs to go. Unfortunately, that won't happen.
koolaidluke
First of all I'm shocked, I figured Goodell would let them off with a slap on the wrist after what happened to Belichick. As for how deserved it was, it depends on what exactly Williams was trying to encourage. If he was telling his players to take cheap shots then I say it was merited. If he was just telling his players to cream guys and hope that they get knocked out that is a different story. I have a hard time believing that Williams was telling them to make illegal hits because doing that is much more likely to give your defense a huge penalty than to get the QB out of the game.
koolaidluke
First of all I'm shocked, I figured Goodell would let them off with a slap on the wrist after what happened to Belichick. As for how deserved it was, it depends on what exactly Williams was trying to encourage. If he was telling his players to take cheap shots then I say it was merited. If he was just telling his players to cream guys and hope that they get knocked out that is a different story. I have a hard time believing that Williams was telling them to make illegal hits because doing that is much more likely to give your defense a huge penalty than to get the QB out of the game.
TGryn
I'm curious whether a suspension means "you're not allowed to take a paycheck or show up on Sunday, but you can run things during the week with personnel decisions and game planning" or its a Pete Rose-style "you can't even come in the building, find something else to do with your life for the next year."
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (TGryn @ Mar 21 2012, 08:20 PM) *
I'm curious whether a suspension means "you're not allowed to take a paycheck or show up on Sunday, but you can run things during the week with personnel decisions and game planning" or its a Pete Rose-style "you can't even come in the building, find something else to do with your life for the next year."

Yeah. This.

Was wondering myself, after all today many DCs OCs call games from the booth, with today's technology does anyone honestly think the Saints are just gonna eat it? I would expect Peyton to still be making almost all decisions apart from timeouts and shit like that. Personally I think it's a symbolic punishment, but we'll have to see the definite meaning of 'suspended' first.
Phits
In short, the league found that Payton, as early on as spring of 2010, could have done much to mitigate the damage and potential ramifications of the team's 2009 bounty program, but instead chose to ignore the league's initial questioning and brazenly continue on with the program Williams put in place. For two additional years.

"Clearly, we were lied to,'' Goodell said on NFL Network. "We investigated this back in 2010, we were told it was not happening, [and] it continued for another two years. This went on for three years and it was investigated, we were misled, and there were denials throughout that period. Meanwhile, there continued to be risk to our players and to the integrity of our game. So it calls for a very significant and clear message.''

LINK
Reality Fan
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 21 2012, 09:06 PM) *
Yeah. This.

Was wondering myself, after all today many DCs OCs call games from the booth, with today's technology does anyone honestly think the Saints are just gonna eat it? I would expect Peyton to still be making almost all decisions apart from timeouts and shit like that. Personally I think it's a symbolic punishment, but we'll have to see the definite meaning of 'suspended' first.

not a chance, he/they are suspend AND forfeit their pay, no contact whatsoever per the suspension......
Rick
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Mar 21 2012, 06:20 PM) *

Uh, he admitted he created the pool to have his players go out and injure players on the opposing team. It's a pretty open and shut case.
nephillymike
I think he would have got three games max if this was the first time they looked into it.

The fact they lied and continued to do it was the main reason.

$7.5M dollars lost? Wow!

I'd be interested to know if anyone remembers if the pats were previously investigated and lied or how that all went down. The thing I remember about that Super bowl is how Dawk said afterwards that it looked as if they knew when we were going to blitz everytime and made the adjustments. it was like they knew our plays. Years later, we find out how right Dawk was.
Rick
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 22 2012, 05:32 PM) *
I think he would have got three games max if this was the first time they looked into it.

The fact they lied and continued to do it was the main reason.

$7.5M dollars lost? Wow!

I'd be interested to know if anyone remembers if the pats were previously investigated and lied or how that all went down. The thing I remember about that Super bowl is how Dawk said afterwards that it looked as if they knew when we were going to blitz everytime and made the adjustments. it was like they knew our plays. Years later, we find out how right Dawk was.

Again, what the Pats did in no way compares to what these guys did. The Pats cheated. These guys cheated. However, the Pats didn't say, "We'll pay you guys thousands of dollars if you knock out McNabb or T.O." They should have been penalized harder than they were but it's just not even the same thing as creating/encouraging a bounty system.

$7.5 million is a lot of money. As I mentioned before, any of the injuries they actively went out to cause could have ended a career of a player. What if they ended Aaron Rogers' career early? You think he'd have lost more than $7.5 million?

The more I think about what they did the more disgusted I get with them.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Mar 22 2012, 04:32 PM) *
The thing I remember about that Super bowl is how Dawk said afterwards that it looked as if they knew when we were going to blitz everytime and made the adjustments. it was like they knew our plays. Years later, we find out how right Dawk was.

not necessarily. 2 years before that in 2002 Peyton Manning put a whuppin on our defense and i remember a quote after the from one of the colts players when asked how they kept beating the blitz over and over. (zero manning sacks) he said that manning was actually reading bdwak to know when we were gonna blitz and he took advantage of that tell

a good QB/coach didnt always need to cheat to be able to beat JJ's sometimes predictable blitzing schemes
Reality Fan
QUOTE (BirdsWinBaby @ Mar 23 2012, 08:40 AM) *
not necessarily. 2 years before that in 2002 Peyton Manning put a whuppin on our defense and i remember a quote after the from one of the colts players when asked how they kept beating the blitz over and over. (zero manning sacks) he said that manning was actually reading bdwak to know when we were gonna blitz and he took advantage of that tell

a good QB/coach didnt always need to cheat to be able to beat JJ's sometimes predictable blitzing schemes

I have to disagree a little with that one. First, there is no way to read one player to predict a blitz every time unless you believe that Dawk was the only guy blitzing. Second, JJ did not become one of the most highly respected DCs in the league's history by often being predictable in his blitzing schemes, especially in games against top QBs. Manning just got rid of the ball quickly on almost every snap, settling for death by a thousand cuts and then went deeper when the Eagles adjusted.......he just took advantage of an Eagles D that thought it was better to be overly aggressive against him than use a more traditional defensive set. They blitzed him from everywhere.

On this issue of suspensions, I understand the severity and applaud it. While the pats clearly cheated and may have cost the Eagles a SB the Saints program put the well being of other players at direct risk beyond what they normally face. That borders on the criminal.......
Rick
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 23 2012, 02:19 PM) *
That borders on the criminal.......

Actually, it doesn't really border on criminal (IMO), it is criminal. Of course, I doubt anyone would pursue it as such.

But I agree with you, what they did was just ridiculous. I only wish they'd been punished much more harshly.
eaglesflow
Saints were beyond in the wrong add were punished fairly! I feel bad for Brett Farve and co.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.