Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Demeco Ryans a Eagle according to jay glazer
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
bebina
Jay Glazer ‏ @JayGlazer Reply Retweet Favorite Open
Eagles sending mid rounder to Texans for Pro Bowler Ryans. Win-win trade for both teams
bebina
not a bad deal for a top 5 lb b4 2010...hopefully not ernie sims 2....if he is 100% healthy and comes back into the 4-3 d he is familiar with I think he can do wonderful things
Zero
And now draft Kuechly?

bebina
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 20 2012, 07:40 PM) *
And now draft Kuechly?

lol one can hope...but this could be the excuse they need not to...but then again i didnt think they would even address the lb position
koolaidluke
what is the fixation people have here with LBs? It is a stupid position. The Giants shut down the best two offenses in football without any LBs.

As I mentioned before, our killer weakness is at corner. SAM doesn't matter, our WIL is decent and improving and even Chaney was showing a tremendous amount of growth by the end of the season. This is a good trade I think because it lets us add a potentially pro bowl level player at MIKE but it really doesn't matter that much.

One thing I'm also really worried about is our pass rush. I'm sure we will still have a good pass rush but last year we had one of the best pass rush's of all time and we still finished 10th in points allowed. You have to assume that our pass rush will be much less dominant this year and I am worried about the impact it will have on our team.
Zero
The interesting thing about this trade is that it signals a difference in personnel philosophy. You say that LBs aren't important and that has historically been Andy's approach. Now they trade for a talented and expensive LB that apparently tells us that, at least in this defense they don't agree with that philosophy any more.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Mar 21 2012, 07:00 AM) *
what is the fixation people have here with LBs? It is a stupid position. The Giants shut down the best two offenses in football without any LBs.

I'm relatively new here, can someone just kindly fill me in on why you keep this 14-year old around? Equal opportunity? Pity? I could understand if his schtick was funny/entertaining, but it's not.....
koolaidluke
You are just angry that McNabb has been exposed as a fraud. Get over it. He left 3 years ago.
BirdsWinBaby
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 21 2012, 07:07 AM) *
The interesting thing about this trade is that it signals a difference in personnel philosophy. You say that LBs aren't important and that has historically been Andy's approach. Now they trade for a talented and expensive LB that apparently tells us that, at least in this defense they don't agree with that philosophy any more.

The Eagles' 2002 strategy for free agency - to pick up top players at a discount because of injuries - netted a second defensive starter yesterday.
March 16, 2002 - Phil Sheridan

the philosophy hasnt changed. good stats followed by an injury followed by signing with the eagles is AR's MO

in 2002 it was Shawn Barber....5yrs after that it was Takeo Spikes (who was also paid $5mill)....

its been 5yrs since Spikes. AR is actually on schedule

D Rock
QUOTE (bebina @ Mar 20 2012, 11:30 PM) *
not a bad deal for a top 5 lb b4 2010...hopefully not ernie sims 2....if he is 100% healthy and comes back into the 4-3 d he is familiar with I think he can do wonderful things

Ernie was never a good NFL backer. He was great in college and had a 1st round pedigree, but he stank in the NFL from day 1. Ryans was super legit right away earning defensive rook of year and 2 probowl nods in his first 3 seasons. Got hurt in season 4. Came back to a scheme that didn't fit, but still produced numbers that while low for him . . . were better than our own.

I Love this deal. If Ryans is 75% his normal self . . . it's a massive upgrade and gives us the first legitimate 3 down linebacker we've had since the buddy days.

Chaney is a fine backup assuming we upgrade SAM between here and September. I suppose it's time to start looking at OLB in the draft. It seems most "experts" don't think Kuechly (sp?) doesn't project well to OLB. Although his measurables suggest he's big enough/fast enough.
D Rock
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Mar 21 2012, 11:00 AM) *

As I mentioned before, our killer weakness is at corner. SAM doesn't matter, our WIL is decent and improving and even Chaney was showing a tremendous amount of growth by the end of the season. This is a good trade I think because it lets us add a potentially pro bowl level player at MIKE but it really doesn't matter that much.

One thing I'm also really worried about is our pass rush. I'm sure we will still have a good pass rush but last year we had one of the best pass rush's of all time and we still finished 10th in points allowed. You have to assume that our pass rush will be much less dominant this year and I am worried about the impact it will have on our team.

I suppose you've missed the fact that TEs have KILLED US over the past 5-6 years? Or trouble defending the red zone? Corners don't do much for you defending the run in the red zone. Nor do they cover the middle where we've been killed in the past. Does somebody need to put together the list of no name TEs who've had career games vs our defense?

Corners? Really? I'll grant you Ass Ante's time to go has come. I'll even grant you DRC is inconsistent and occasionally lazy. But you're showing your ass if you try to pretend we've stank at linebacker for the last 6 years or more.
D Rock
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 21 2012, 01:36 PM) *
I'm relatively new here, can someone just kindly fill me in on why you keep this 14-year old around? Equal opportunity? Pity?

No. That's why you're tollerated here.

tongue.gif
Eyrie
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Mar 21 2012, 01:36 PM) *
I'm relatively new here, can someone just kindly fill me in on why you keep this 14-year old around? Equal opportunity? Pity? I could understand if his schtick was funny/entertaining, but it's not.....

It gives me an excuse to exercise the scroll button on my mouse.

QUOTE (D Rock @ Mar 21 2012, 04:12 PM) *
No. That's why you're tollerated here.

tongue.gif

On the other hand, D Rock is a pure troublemaker biggrin.gif
Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Mar 21 2012, 12:06 PM) *
Ernie was never a good NFL backer. He was great in college and had a 1st round pedigree, but he stank in the NFL from day 1. Ryans was super legit right away earning defensive rook of year and 2 probowl nods in his first 3 seasons. Got hurt in season 4. Came back to a scheme that didn't fit, but still produced numbers that while low for him . . . were better than our own.

I Love this deal. If Ryans is 75% his normal self . . . it's a massive upgrade and gives us the first legitimate 3 down linebacker we've had since the buddy days.

Chaney is a fine backup assuming we upgrade SAM between here and September. I suppose it's time to start looking at OLB in the draft. It seems most "experts" don't think Kuechly (sp?) doesn't project well to OLB. Although his measurables suggest he's big enough/fast enough.

While I disagree completely with the Sims assessment, he was a stud on a bad Lions team his first 3 years and there is little debate about that, even Ryans at less than 100% is a huge upgrade at the Mike. He not only is far better than what the Eagles had he also knows the D and is a charismatic leader on the field. Finally the D will have a personality.

I agree that they should look to upgrade the outside also but so far this offseason has been almost too good to be true.
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 21 2012, 08:25 PM) *
While I disagree completely with the Sims assessment, he was a stud on a bad Lions team his first 3 years and there is little debate about that, even Ryans at less than 100% is a huge upgrade at the Mike. He not only is far better than what the Eagles had he also knows the D and is a charismatic leader on the field. Finally the D will have a personality.

I agree that they should look to upgrade the outside also but so far this offseason has been almost too good to be true.

Ernie Simms was a stud huh? How many probowls? How many defensive honors? Shit, how many sacks, ints or fumbles? He was always a physical specimen who couldn't "learn" the NFL game. There's a reason he couldn't stick on a bad lions team. And it wasn't because he was a stud. He washed out of what was at the time the worst team in the league.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Mar 21 2012, 09:50 PM) *
Ernie Simms was a stud huh? How many probowls? How many defensive honors? Shit, how many sacks, ints or fumbles? He was always a physical specimen who couldn't "learn" the NFL game. There's a reason he couldn't stick on a bad lions team. And it wasn't because he was a stud. He washed out of what was at the time the worst team in the league.

He hardly washed out, he was traded for Tony Schefler and a draft pick, and if you read the post properly you would have noted I said his first 3 years, it was the reason he was named a team captain there. He sucked here, there is no debate on that but he had a great start in the NFL, after that he went to the dogs, literally....he has a lot of them. He averaged over a 100 tackles his first 3 years and got hurt in his 4th, never the same again...and then he came here.
koolaidluke
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Mar 21 2012, 02:26 PM) *
It gives me an excuse to exercise the scroll button on my mouse.

Your just angry about how much of a fraud McNabb is.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Mar 21 2012, 11:11 AM) *
Corners? Really? I'll grant you Ass Ante's time to go has come. I'll even grant you DRC is inconsistent and occasionally lazy.

I'm fine with DRC and Aso on the outside, but we have absolutely no one in the slot. Ask Wes Welker.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Mar 22 2012, 03:43 PM) *
I'm fine with DRC and Aso on the outside, but we have absolutely no one in the slot. Ask Wes Welker.

What about JoSuckio ?!?!?!

wink.gif

Reality Fan
I think having better LB play will help the entire secondary particularly with an experienced signal caller making sure everyone is on the same page.......it will be a welcome change to have a boss on that side of the ball again
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 22 2012, 03:13 PM) *
I think having better LB play will help the entire secondary particularly with an experienced signal caller making sure everyone is on the same page.......it will be a welcome change to have a boss on that side of the ball again

cheers.gif

You beat me to it - yes, it seems most of us have completely forgot that you only need TWO pro-bowl corners, when you have an actual playmaking linebacker.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.