Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What are the Eagles doing at LB?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Emmons, Trotter and Caldwell. Reid inherited Trotter and Caldwell then signed Emmons as a FA. Under JJ the defense carried the team and these guys were a big part of that. From there, the position has pretty much disintegrated and devolved. Much like the WR position had been in Reid's early years, LB has become the team orphan. The ray of hope is that Reid dramatically upgraded the WRs. He needs to do that this year with LB.

I doubt the Eagles draft a LB is round 1. History is against it. Round 2 seems the likely spot because Reid puts more value on the DL and there should be a good player available there with #15. I'd take a different view because the draft is supposedly deep in DL talent. I'd go Kuechly and take a DT in the second.

If history repeats, they should also sign a FA LB. Not a top tier LB but a talent that has had injury problems. That's why I thought they'd get Connor. Anyone else fit this description? If they intend to draft Kuechly they could seek a SAM in FA and not one of the top guys we're all looking at.

The question is if they've changed their priorities? If I'm not mistaken they've opened some cap space with the recent extensions and releases. They may think of extending McCoy now or later in the season ... they have the option of franchising him next year and spending now on one of the only significant team needs. Or they could do both if they go SAM in FA and MLB in the draft.
HobbEs
The kid I've liked so far is Zack Brown. Would it surprise anyone if they Kuechly in the 1st and Brown in the 2nd? That goes with the recent trend of using the 'Shotgun Approach' strategy.

That being said I'd still be happy to see them go DT in the 1st if they can still grab Brown in the 2nd.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 19 2012, 06:45 AM) *
LB has become the team orphan

Every year I think maybe, just maybe this time will be different - we'll go through a game without pissing away timeouts, making ill-advised challenges/not making obvious challenges, etc., and maybe we'll heavily prioritize the LB position, as MLB is qb of the defense. I think at this point it's time to accept who Reid is and what the FOs priorities are - as in, don't expect our LB corps to ever be 'back.' Our best and only bet is getting lucky and drafting a LB that turns out to be great, but considering our last few LB draftees, that would be unexpected too. At least we'll have great Wrs. biggrin.gif
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 19 2012, 06:45 AM) *
LB has become the team orphan

Every year I think maybe, just maybe this time will be different - we'll go through a game without pissing away timeouts, making ill-advised challenges/not making obvious challenges, etc., and maybe we'll heavily prioritize the LB position, as MLB is qb of the defense. I think at this point it's time to accept who Reid is and what the FOs priorities are - as in, don't expect our LB corps to ever be 'back.' Our best and only bet is getting lucky and drafting a LB that turns out to be great, but considering our last few LB draftees, that would be unexpected too. At least we'll have great Wrs. biggrin.gif
canadianeagle
I'm not sure what is happening either. I can say that I will be very disappointed if if the Eagles don't sign one of Lofton, Tulloch, or Hawthorne. Each of these guys have various pro's and cons for and against but any of them would be a fairly large upgrade.

Add in another LB and a run stuffing DT in the draft and this team could have a very different defence.
mcnabbulous
I can't see us taking a LB in round 1.

My only problem with taking a DT in round 1 is that it appears to be the deepest position in the draft. I'd rather take a top guy at a thinner in round 1, then grab a DT later.

I'd like them to pickup Lofton, but that dude is crazy if he thinks he deserves $9M a season. I'd maybe give him a 4 year/$24M deal.
Reality Fan
I would be happy with Lawson for the SAM and draft Keuchly, at least you have some depth and can go from there......Lawson and Hawthorne or Lofton would be nice but a pipe dream
bebina
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Mar 20 2012, 07:26 PM) *
I would be happy with Lawson for the SAM and draft Keuchly, at least you have some depth and can go from there......Lawson and Hawthorne or Lofton would be nice but a pipe dream

well it looks like they addressed it with demeco ryans
Zero
QUOTE (bebina @ Mar 20 2012, 06:28 PM) *
well it looks like they addressed it with demeco ryans

Eagles acquired MLB DeMeco Ryans from the Texans in exchange for "undisclosed multiple picks" in next month's draft.The picks aren't believed to be higher than mid-round. A Pro Bowl middle linebacker early in his career, Ryans wasn't was as suited to the weak-side interior in Wade Phillips 3-4 scheme. After a slow start in returning from Achilles surgery, Ryans came on stronger late in the season. He fills a major need in Philadelphia, where Andy Reid's squad has long been in need of a three-down tackling machine in the middle. Jamar Chaney (neck surgery) will move back outside. Considering Ryans $5.9 million salary, the Texans' haul was as much as could reasonably be expected

Source ...
Zero
QUOTE (Zero @ Mar 20 2012, 06:44 PM) *
Source ...
Ryans was traded Tuesday to the Eagles for a fourth-round draft pick, the Houston Chronicle reports.
Here ...
Zero
UPDATE: The Eagles announced the deal on Tuesday evening, and they gave up a fourth-round pick in the 2012 draft in exchange for Ryans. The Eagles and Texans also swapped 2012 third-round picks.
Link ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.